Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar

Well, I did wonder if the gems were dropping that early ... but now I know they don't.

They are not listed here https://ddowiki.com/page/White_Plume_Mountain - I think it should make more clear that not listing them = not dropping there. It's a case of communication, imho. People tend to assume so many things.

Also, that page doesn't have a link to the Legendary version of it.

Well, I'm gonna stay away from Sentient Jewels for the next months. With my Legendary Bad Luck I won't get them anyway.
    "No, it doesn't say 'Lifeling' "

Community Member

Well, I'm gonna stay away from Sentient Jewels for the next months. With my Legendary Bad Luck I won't get them anyway. [/QUOTE]

Just to say again and repeat what has already been stated in this thread. You can get 1 free sentient gem from the ravenloft expansion pack. You dont have to be able to run this on epics.

Just run the 1st quest "Into the mists" on any lvl or difficulty to gain access to the explorer area. Enter said explorer area. Run down the road a few meters and you will see a caravan on the left. Speak to the guy by the caravan and he will give you a lvl 29 weapon (and quite a good one). Speak to him again and he will give you a choice of 1 of 3 sentient gems.

This can be done once per life on each toon once you reach lvl 20 and is a good supply for sentient gems and sentient food (the weapon is classed as named so can be fed to said sentient weapon if you wont be using it).

Community Member

I guess it hasn't been asked yet, but if this player has no interest in epics, why does he feel the NEED to have a sentient gem in the first place? It's not like you can use them in Heroic levels for leveling.

But if they want to play in epics, then yes go to Ravenloft and get a free one. It's not exactly hard.

As for liking the story, it's a pretty basic story. It can be summed up as "A wizard did it, to guard a codex page" (that's how I took it anyway, feel free to correct me)

Karnasis (Human Wizard, Pale Master, Level 27), Taldall (Half-Orc, Monk- Perpetually abandoned)

Community Member SpartanKiller13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alrik_Fassbauer View Post
    No sentience gems ! No named loot except 1 piece !

Honestly, I have on the one hand great respect for people who do more than 10 runs of certain quests - the blade of Jack Jibbers comes to mind - but on the other hand I personally couldn't stand it, doing such a long quest more that ... 5 times, for example.

The shorter a quest is, the more likely I'm replaying it (and i didn't do TOEE since my first try a year or so ago again).
    You can get a free sentient in Ravenloft, or with the anniversary code. Otherwise why would you expect them to be included in every quest run? You got a named item, right?

I usually solo LWPM in 20-25 mins at appropriate difficulty (R5 for my PM life, R3 for my EK life) or party it in 10-15 mins (or 20-25 if running R6-8 as a party). Might be down to quest knowledge? Since you're on it for the first time (I definitely spent >1 hour my first flowersniffing run).

It's actually one of my favorite quests in DDO, for some reason I can't name.

Like sure, if you're soloing it's not a short quest - but I'd much rather do five WPM runs than run Madstone twice.
    -Khysiria of Cannith
    Quote Originally Posted by zehnvhex View Post
    Warlock is basically a ghetto Shiradi Sorc. You gives up some of the damage and self sustain for the ability to just hold down left click and yolo blast your way to victory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    It's DDO. There are probably 6 different types of Evil damage.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanKiller13 View Post
    I'd much rather do five WPM runs than run Madstone twice.
    Ugh yes I don't know why they don't cut the timer in half on the three defense phases. Just cut each stage from 60 secs to 30, delete the back half of each phase in the script. It's one of those relatively simple changes that'd take a quest from absolute NOOOPE to one you're excited to run because it feels quick and punchy.

Not like there's a big change in challenge anyway. If you can keep him alive 90 secs, you can keep him alive 180, at that point it's just forced repetition.

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    … you just need to read the wiki first from now on, so you can know what to expect, rather than simply assume things and be disappointed. ...
    If this is really an expectation then is screams of **** quest design. No quest should require you to read the wiki to understand what comes out of it. And in this case the wiki will mess you up because the wiki states (as of this writing) that the end chest can drop
    Quote Originally Posted by ddowiki
    End chest: Spark of Memory, Echo of xy, Sentient Jewel of xy
    which would lead anyone reading it to easily believe you could get the jewel there as there is absolutely no differentiation in the wiki as to Heroic vs. Epic loot outside of the actual named items.

Ugh yes I don't know why they don't cut the timer in half on the three defense phases. Just cut each stage from 60 secs to 30, delete the back half of each phase in the script. It's one of those relatively simple changes that'd take a quest from absolute NOOOPE to one you're excited to run because it feels quick and punchy.
    Not like there's a big change in challenge anyway. If you can keep him alive 90 secs, you can keep him alive 180, at that point it's just forced repetition.
    literally 4.5 minutes changes a quest from it's great let's run it to I won't run it? It's not even all at once. Don't get me wrong less time is better but if you are running at your near your limit on difficulty that extra time 100% matters. Knock that time off the giant and, for many, it can now be run at a higher difficulty. As an example, last life I soloed it on R1 and barely kept him alive as I was on a relatively weak build with limited healing options, but he was the only part I had trouble on, otherwise I probably could have run R3 or R4.

*shrugs* The quest doesn't bother me, really it's not my favorite quest for different reasons entirely. The XP is OK to good when paired with the Saga reward so on the whole it works for me and is still more interesting than PoP IMHO. To each his own I guess.
    I wish i could press snowflakes in a book like flowers.
    Some people are like glow sticks. You just wanna snap 'em and then shake the heck out of them until the lights come on.

Pretty sure nobody's skipping Madstone anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Alrik_Fassbauer View Post
    Hello,

well, that was boring. I dare to go through this insanely long chain of a challenge - at least it was a *good* challenge ! - and what do I get out of that ?

No sentience gems ! No named loot except 1 piece !

Well, I won't go through this any time soon ... but wait, my guild has planned exactly this ... oh, my ...
    Play with friends! It is a horrible adventure (IMO) but friends make it better. Although take what I am saying with a grain of salt. I still wont step into The Pit (usually).

I enjoyed the challenge, yes, but I was just hugely disappointed with what I got for all these troubles & repair costs ... And my bad loot roll luck is legendary ...
    Yup, there are a few of us on the forums with legendary bad luck. Ran with a guy this weekend who had legendary good luck.

Honestly, I have on the one hand great respect for people who do more than 10 runs of certain quests - the blade of Jack Jibberes comes to mind - but on the other hand I personaly couldn't stand it, doing such a long quest more that ... 5 times, for example.

The shorter a quest is, the more likely I'm replaying it (and i didn't do TOEE since my first try a year or so ago again).

Of course, it's the problem of the original adventuremodule, not of SSG.

And, of course as well, it's my personal problem, since I'm playing for story, not for loot.
    Actually it is SSG's problem that the adventures are too long. There are quite a few adventurers that are too long and precisely why people don't play them or play them irregularly. ToEE for example was the start of the "pack a lot of NPC's into every cranny of the dungeon" because that would be "fun." Slaver's built on that mechanic and added ingredients. HH is a ghost town (that is one of those "irregularly run" adventures). Crucible is another "irregularly run" adventures that is a bit older. The Pit is legendary for being ignored (It is fair to mention that it is/was a top 10 in most liked/hated at one point back in 2012'ish). Now, the responsibility is on the developers because they designed the content. Whether it was SSG, Turbine or those who came before.

Yeah, please break up ToEE, HH, and Slavers into something more enjoyable/manageable. Possibly move HH entrance too, maybe into The Grove. But players have been asking for these things since they were introduced.
    Quote Originally Posted by hp1055cm View Post
    They have been tweaking the game since I started and often I disagree with them. They focus on wrong stuff, over or under compensate and abandon too much stuff. Every once in awhile they get something right, if only temporarily.

Community Member SpartanKiller13's Avatar

I'm sold lol. Maybe ramp them up slightly faster, so it's a little harder (but since timer is shorter you lose a lot less time if he resets) - to address concerns that it will be a lot easier.

Quote Originally Posted by SiliconScout View Post
    If this is really an expectation then is screams of **** quest design. No quest should require you to read the wiki to understand what comes out of it. And in this case the wiki will mess you up because the wiki states (as of this writing) that the end chest can drop which would lead anyone reading it to easily believe you could get the jewel there as there is absolutely no differentiation in the wiki as to Heroic vs. Epic loot outside of the actual named items.
    I didn't look anything up and soloed WPM just fine first time? It kinda explains all of what's going on. There were a few hard parts (the swim, getting stuck in the spinning tunnel, the mud room, etc etc) but I was trying to check every corner and running on EE so it was a nice chill run lol. I definitely made like every choice wrong, but I don't see why anyone should need to read the Wiki for it. There's literally a DM voice telling you stuff, and like right-hand-rule works just as well there as anywhere else.

literally 4.5 minutes changes a quest from it's great let's run it to I won't run it? It's not even all at once. Don't get me wrong less time is better but if you are running at your near your limit on difficulty that extra time 100% matters. Knock that time off the giant and, for many, it can now be run at a higher difficulty. As an example, last life I soloed it on R1 and barely kept him alive as I was on a relatively weak build with limited healing options, but he was the only part I had trouble on, otherwise I probably could have run R3 or R4.

*shrugs* The quest doesn't bother me, really it's not my favorite quest for different reasons entirely. The XP is OK to good when paired with the Saga reward so on the whole it works for me and is still more interesting than PoP IMHO. To each his own I guess.
    Even less than that can make a big difference. See Just Business, where the unskippable superlong cutscene immediately makes me dislike the quest. If it wasn't for the saga and the loot I'd happily never run it again.

Could bump the size of waves up or something; so it's a little harder, but much shorter = similar healing required, given only spillover is what's damaging the seer.

While I'm not a fan of PoP either, it at least has variety and very minimal waiting; I do wish the top door didn't start locked, or had like a puzzle option instead of walking down (if you don't have an unlocker).

Quote Originally Posted by Enkidu View Post
    Pretty sure nobody's skipping Madstone anyway.
    Oh man, I'd happily skip it every time if I could get a Crucible run. Yesterday I ran both, and despite having no mazer or swimmer in Crucible (we took an hour to complete) I'd still have more happily run it again than Madstone (we split for giants, and the people at 3rd seer died after we'd gone past so I had to rerun the entire quest).
    -Khysiria of Cannith
    Quote Originally Posted by zehnvhex View Post
    Warlock is basically a ghetto Shiradi Sorc. You gives up some of the damage and self sustain for the ability to just hold down left click and yolo blast your way to victory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    It's DDO. There are probably 6 different types of Evil damage.

Oh dude come on. Boo-hoo. That quest is great and has amazing items that drop in it. No sympathy here. Popsicles melt. Rain falls. Got any crying you want to do over that too? Don't share it, lol.
    "The proper office of a friend is to side with you when you are in the wrong. Nearly anybody will side with you when you are in the right."

The Burning Hand ~ Sarlona
    (\/)annaz ~ (\/)annox ~ (\/)anny ~ (\/)annfred

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by AbyssalMage View Post
    HH is a ghost town (that is one of those "irregularly run" adventures). Crucible is another "irregularly run" adventures that is a bit older. The Pit is legendary for being ignored (It is fair to mention that it is/was a top 10 in most liked/hated at one point back in 2012'ish). Now, the responsibility is on the developers because they designed the content. Whether it was SSG, Turbine or those who came before.
    Crucible is regularly run and isn't that long, provided you know the maze and have someone who can do the swim, it's actually a ton of XP for the time. Pit is terribad for multiple reasons, good XP if you have a team of crack players who know it by heart and don't need a map, because it's useless.

Haunted Halls on the other hand isn't supposed to be farmed for XP, it's not part of any saga or expansion and it's rewards aren't even that great. The one thing it does have going for it is that it's actually fun. HH is a carnival fun house, full of secret paths, traps and stuff that makes adventures laugh at each other. You run HH not to farm XP or loot but to just laugh at silliness, like telling the new guy to go open "that chest". I would prefer they kept HH as it is, it's a fun house to laugh with your friends with and not serious in any way at all.

ToEE on the other hand is stupid long and needs fixed, same with Slavers. WPM isn't even that long and each section is farmed for sXP with the final chest droping extremely nice gear.
    Last edited by palladin9479; 05-27-2020 at 07:19 AM.
    Illustration of a Gnome Inquisitive!

Are you getting White Plume confused with TOEE? I frequently solo White Plume and it never really seemed that long to me. But I'm also one of those weirdos who enjoys soloing The Pit. Now TOEE, that's an annoyingly long quest series with lots of backtracking. I will say that White Plume is pretty linear and boring, but a lot of those older adapted modules are like that. Keep on the Borderlands is another of those older modules that translates into a pretty bland adventure in DDO, although it's not as bad as White Plume IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Draxis View Post
    Are you getting White Plume confused with TOEE? I frequently solo White Plume and it never really seemed that long to me. But I'm also one of those weirdos who enjoys soloing The Pit. Now TOEE, that's an annoyingly long quest series with lots of backtracking. I will say that White Plume is pretty linear and boring, but a lot of those older adapted modules are like that. Keep on the Borderlands is another of those older modules that translates into a pretty bland adventure in DDO, although it's not as bad as White Plume IMO.
    God ToEE...how did they make one of the most iconic, awesome dungeon crawls in Pen & Paper history into the most mind numbingly boring, incredibly long bore fest with atrocious loot?

At least WPM is really faithful to the PnP module. Isn't overlong and has some really quirky dungeon features you wont find anywhere else. They spent some time on that one I thought.

Cool I bet...

if you saw a Kelpie in WPM you would change your tune.

Quote Originally Posted by palladin9479 View Post
    Crucible is regularly run and isn't that long, provided you know the maze and have someone who can do the swim, it's actually a ton of XP for the time. Pit is terribad for multiple reasons, good XP if you have a team of crack players who know it by heart and don't need a map, because it's useless.

Haunted Halls on the other hand isn't supposed to be farmed for XP, it's not part of any saga or expansion and it's rewards aren't even that great. The one thing it does have going for it is that it's actually fun. HH is a carnival fun house, full of secret paths, traps and stuff that makes adventures laugh at each other. You run HH not to farm XP or loot but to just laugh at silliness, like telling the new guy to go open "that chest". I would prefer they kept HH as it is, it's a fun house to laugh with your friends with and not serious in any way at all.

ToEE on the other hand is stupid long and needs fixed, same with Slavers. WPM isn't even that long and each section is farmed for sXP with the final chest droping extremely nice gear.
    Haunted Halls is quite fine xp if you just zerg through it though. It is a fast run if you have the dps to kill fast and the means to run through the traps going right from the first room.
    Danskerne
    A Danish Guild on Ghallanda. Send PM if interested.
    Leading Raids Thursdays from 20 CET and Sundays from 21 CET.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12