Community Member

Default great crossbow dps build

iam looking to build a great crossbow build any ideas on build layout

Nothing much has changed with a Mech build of some stripe:

o https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post5759362

And I just outlined the multi-class options here (basically same as for Ranger, or stay pure - I like either {(early) Barb + (early) Wiz} or {(early) Barb + (later) Fighter}, but ymmv.)

o bottom half of this post

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar
    Major build threads: Axesinger / Dwarven Defender / Drow Ninja / Drow Paladin / Elven Ranger / Monkcher / Sacred Vanguard / Cleric Domains / Kundarak Brigade / Iconic Builds
    My Build Index: a Motley Menagerie of Original Rapscallions, Pugilists, and Gimps!

Is Runearm use + Great Crossbow use still a no-go?
    "A wise person chooses the right road; a fool takes the wrong one." - Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    Hi Welcome

Community Member

Why not simply go with the Endless Fusilade 10rogue/6fighter/4artificer? https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...dless+fusilade. Not exactly how I would build it but its still very good

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    Solid, pure (read: user-friendly) build.

For a new player, and if only going to 20, I'd suggest going 17 starting Dex* and 11 Str for Encumbrance, but that's a quibble.

(* Goal is base 19 Dex for Improved Precise Shot by 15. See post below for comment re Epic Dex 21 requirement.)

Now, for myself and my playstyle, I prefer non-pure Mechanic build, but that delays the Core 18 enhancement, which admittedly is a really nice thing to have. The diff is whether you level faster/have more fun for the previous 15 levels or so (after going multi- ~around~ Level 3) or you enjoy that extra juice at 18-20 more. ymmv.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkat View Post
    Is Runearm use + Great Crossbow use still a no-go?
    2 Art + 18 Rogue works, but if you have Arti then that's probably stronger without (as much) Rogue.

Or some variation of the EF build that LiveFast refers to. Or similar w/ Slarden's TR build, which is still strong.*

If you have access to those Premium classes.

(* Maybe not as strong as Inquisitive, but still solid and fun, and you don't need access to MoS.)

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dog View Post
    (* Goal is base 19 Dex for Improved Precise Shot by 15.)
    That's the first goal. The second goal is DEX 21 no later than level 24 for Improved Sneak Attack and Combat Archery epic feats. Hence why I have base DEX 18 + 2 tome + 1 level-up in that build.

@OP: If you have the Inquisitive tree, you should build around that, but I'm inferring since you posted to the New Player forum we're talking F2P builds. So when it comes to great crossbow builds, either you're building for Mechanic's Expert Builder's +2 critical multiplier bonus or you're not.

If you are, then you need at least rogue 18, which doesn't leave a lot of leeway. Artificer 2 is the go-to splash, but if you don't have that unlocked, you can stick with pure rogue like the build I linked; or splash other F2P classes such as barbarian for the extra run speed (stacks with Acrobat's Fast Movement) or fighter for an extra feat. See also this build.

If you're not going for Expert Builder, you have a lot more flexibility, but what are you gaining that's better than Expert Builder? If you're building around Endless Fusillade like the rogue 10 / fighter 6 / Artificer 4 split linked above, the answer is "a continuous stream of bolts from a fire hose," taking Strike with No Thought from Kensei to make up for not having Expert Builder. Enhancements are extremely tight and it requires the Artificer class; Harper Agent tree is optional but highly recommended. It's a more advanced build than pure Mechanic and doesn't really shine until late heroics IMO when it has enough APs to afford all of the goodies it requires.
    Last edited by unbongwah; 05-23-2020 at 06:38 PM.
    Major build threads: Axesinger / Dwarven Defender / Drow Ninja / Drow Paladin / Elven Ranger / Monkcher / Sacred Vanguard / Cleric Domains / Kundarak Brigade / Iconic Builds
    My Build Index: a Motley Menagerie of Original Rapscallions, Pugilists, and Gimps!

I'm having a lot of fun with my 8 Fighter, 9 Rogue, going for 12 levels of Rogue. He really packs a punch from range with the Kensei Great Crossbow Focus and with the Rogue Mechanic upgrades. I tend to play solo a lot, so I wanted a battle-hardened rogue who can endure damage. With the Divine Artillery, the upgrades do quite a bit of damage; every hit brings up a rainbow of different types of damage numbers above the target's head.
    Against oozes, I fry, zap and swat them with high-end fire or shock grenades and my Weathered Targe, and sometimes I go in for the coup de grace with Sheridan's Wrack and Sheridan's Ruin.
    But this is a build that has some versatility at the expense of specialization. If all you want is great crossbow DPS, those earlier folks' ideas are probably better.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveFast View Post
    Why not simply go with the Endless Fusilade 10rogue/6fighter/4artificer? https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...dless+fusilade. Not exactly how I would build it but its still very good
    Heh, I feel Pilgrim's pain on tying to put this build together, I went through the same thing myself. Until Inquisitive showed I found Barb worked better than fighter, but then I only went with one level to get three more boosts and get +10% run speed for the loss of a feat and an AP. With Inquisitive that one AP became an issue, that's how tight the build became. Now if SSG puts that +1 universal tree AP tome in the DDO store, I'm back in business, but I digress. With 41 points going into Inquisitive, the mechanic tree is out, you need 7 for the fighter boosts, 8 for harper's, and 24 for for the boosts and endless fusilade in BE. That leaves nothing for anywhere else. On the plus side, it really frees up some leveling real estate as you only need 6 Arti, 1 Fighter, and 2 Rogue to get those enhancements/spells needed. So you could take rogue to 10 for improved evasion, lots of fighter levels for feats, or Arti levels for spells. The one thing you won't be have is a great xbow because all those law on your side dice don't apply.

Now Pilgrim's original 39 mechanic build still works fine, leaving room for the 6 extra boosts (7 fighter or 8 barb) and (11 arti) and room for a full strategic combat from Harpers (12),but with 6 rogue and targeting sights there's no reason to go beyond 8 Harper, leaving at least 14 to play with so he can get endless fusi and still have a point or two for double shot using a great xbow. It's really tight, too, and you can't get three points into double shot without giving up something much better and Harper's way better than a couple of percent in double shot.