Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar

Post Concerned about the lack of discussions about the looks of things ...

Hello,

call me crazy if you want to, but I'm seriously concerned about the lack of discussions about the looks of things.

Discussions about mechanics can easily get 7-8 pages here in Lamannia, but as soon as there is a discussion about a look of something - then there's a sudden silence as if someone had been using a gross swear word.

If I write my own opinion on the look of something, - be it armor, weapons or quest environments - it gets easily buried below 10 tons of mechanics discussions, cynically put.

As a result, it appears to me as if most people were not interested in the look of things at all.

Even from the side of developers I muss discussions on the looks o things. Players were asked to give out Raid Loot ideas - and 99,99999999999999999999999999999 % of it was mere mechanics descriptions, not looks. The few replies I made there for more ... interesting ... looking loot were indeed buried under tons of mechanics.
    Players seem to be satisfied with the limited variations of the looks of loot, cynically put.

Consequently, I hereby request the most ugly weapon ever made - but with excellent stats. It should make the eyes bleed, so to say, with colours that do not fit together at all, and if I was evil, I'd say it should be there as a punishment for the desinterest of the look of things.
    ( Of course no-one would take this request seriously. Only someone from Xoriat.)

As a more serious and no-nonsense request I'd like to have more discussions about the look of things. Maybe even a challenge with the best entry drawn by the graphics artists and made as in in-game item. Maybe even cosmetic only.

As someone to whom the whole look of the in-game parts of DDO is a serious selling point, I kind of feel ... excluded when people are solely focusing one aspect (thus influencing the game into that direction), which is not interesting to me, and show desinterest to the other aspects of the game.

One example is the lack of variation in outfits, quarterstaffs and orbs. Especially at lower levels (which are my personal focus - which is in turn a good argument to discard my replies as "not relevant because only end game and Reaper matters").

I'd like to have more variation in outfits, for example. More diversity in colours (robes have so much more diversity), with light green, for example, or even with purple, quarterstaffs and clubs with more different heads, and orbs with different colours as well (green, for example ? Pink ? Yellow ?). An Orb which looks like a skull ? Or like a soap bubble ? Or like a globe of Eberron ? (Complete with the continents on it.)

And that in random loot, but especially in Named Loot.

The new revamp of random loot is a good step forwards, imho. Staffs made of silver should get a silvery touch in the look as well, and why not have silver looking armor as well ?
    What colours do Adamantine and Byeshk [spelling ?] have ? Blueshine ?

Why not have a two-handed club which looks like a log ? A head of a quarterstaff or of a scepter which looks like a skull of a ram ? A docent which gives a Warforged One an elven body model ? A Warhammer which emits Purple Fairy Fire (known from a clicky from The Night Revels) by every hit ? Or Glitterdust instead ?

Cosmetic glitter - like the one for cosmetic companions - for armor as well ? If my character has a green armor, then I'd like to have that character to leave a green trail behind ...
    And maybe that for horses/unicorns as well ?

A sentience gem of a Unicorn that sounds like a horse ? (Okay, that's a feywild idea ).
    A sentience gem which has "ideas" like Murray The Skull ? (Known from the Monkey Island 3 game.)

The flag from inside of the Phoenix Tavern as a cosmetic cloak ?

There's so much which could make the gameplay much more fun by changing the looks of it - but people stick on mechanics instead. And I'm concerned by that.

Alrik
    "No, it doesn't say 'Lifeling' "

I can only speak for myself, but how things looks is literally the last thing i care. Sometimes i'm even too lazy to change character sex from female to male and when it comes to look i just push "random" button few times and move forward without checking out what i rolled.

2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Alrik_Fassbauer View Post
    As a result, it appears to me as if most people were not interested in the look of things at all.
    That's probably accurate. There are some players very interested in appearance (including some well-known forum-go-ers, and some of my guild-mates). There are others, myself included, that are somewhat interested in appearance, but to a lesser degree. And there are many who just don't care.

At one time, I was wearing the Light Armor version of a named armor, rather than the Medium, solely because the Medium had one of those horrible ugly non-functional giant shoulder-humps.

The existence of cosmetic weapons, armor, helmets, and cloaks, had been a great boon, because even if a given such item is ugly, you can cover it up with a preferred appearance.

Even from the side of developers I muss discussions on the looks o things. Players were asked to give out Raid Loot ideas - and 99,99999999999999999999999999999 % of it was mere mechanics descriptions, not looks.
    I think a big part of it is different people doing different jobs. The ones putting stats on items are not the same one creating the looks. I don't specifically recall seeing any of the artists comment here on the forums, or ask for feedback, et cetera. So a little more interaction between the artists and appearance-focused players would be nice.

Cosmetic glitter - like the one for cosmetic companions - for armor as well ? If my character has a green armor, then I'd like to have that character to leave a green trail behind ...
    And maybe that for horses/unicorns as well ?
    I didn't do Hardcore either season, but a lot of my guild-mates did Season 1 but not Season 2. A couple of them literally squealed with delight when I floated the idea that HC S2 should award Sparkly Footprints instead of Bloody Footprints. But since the reality was just more ugly evil dark-themed stuff, they were not interested in Season 2.

Adding more and better appearances and/or cosmetics seems like a win-win: people who care about appearance are made happy, and it in no way hurts or detracts from the people who don't care about appearance.
    Last edited by SirValentine; 05-21-2020 at 09:12 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    As a general rule we don't intend for a single spawn area to cause any dungeon alert, and certainly not red dungeon alert. This basically isn't ever a goal in our designs

Part of the lack of discussion when it comes to aesthetics is that the artwork, the actual visual appearance of weapons and armor, cloaks and helms is that its sometimes the last thing we get to see... and its far too late to give any feedback on it.

I made the critique that the old armor appearances from catacombs were hideous and couldn't we borrow the Silver Flame (blue & white) armor appearances that already existed from the Silver Flame Nugget turn-in ( https://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Silver_Flame_Nugget) for the EPIC catacombs armor. Apparently, it couldn't be done or there wasn't enough time.

But they do listen to some suggestions, it just may take years to see the results.

For example in 2016 I posted this image:

And now we have these, which are not exact duplicates but even better:
    https://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Concentrated_Chaos
    https://ddowiki.com/page/Itemarksphere
    https://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Globe_of_Incandescence
    https://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Solid_Sound
    https://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Orb_of_Acid
    https://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Orb_of_Flame
    https://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Orb_of_Electricity

On the other hand I also suggested this in 2016 (the blue one is the original Totemic Lavalier):

And the ones they came up with from https://ddowiki.com/page/Memory_Lapse just don't look as pretty to me. With their almost neon, stark colors and the lack of the subtle shimmery variation of the original item. But it was a valiant try and I'm sure the results appealed to some because I have seen people wearing them. If they had made the ones I photoshopped though, as cosmetics, I would have bought the violet and the green immediately right from the store.
    Blood Scented Axe Body Spray (Thelanis)
    Aelonwy - Wydavir - Metaluscious - Aertimys - Aelyrra - Kaelaria - Lunaura - Aelurawynn - Saurscha - Crystalorn - Aurvaeyn - Vaelyns - Wyllowynd

Not to mention that I'd been asking for visible cloaks for like 5 years and we finally got them.

Next on the list:

cosmetic runearms
    cloak-slot cosmetic quiver
    updated hairstyles for all races

An undisclosed location. I asked my captors but they remain tight lipped.

Still holding my breath for items that look blessed/ sacred rather than evil.
    Bloody footprints? nah
    Demonic shields? newp
    Give me something with a white or silver aura, motes of light, clean white enameled plate or chain armors with blue or gold overlays.
    Until then, it's mirrors of glammer overlaid and RL trenchcoats
    Sometimes I'm too clever for my own good. Bear in mind I'm probably trying to be humorous. Like dodge, it's hit or miss.// Looking for a guild on Orien? Send a tell or mail to Magnifique to join the "Fidelic Brotherhood".

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoBlonde View Post
    Not to mention that I'd been asking for visible cloaks for like 5 years and we finally got them.

Next on the list:

cosmetic runearms
    cloak-slot cosmetic quiver
    updated hairstyles for all races
    I'm down with all of those. Especially the hairstyle one.
    Orien Main Toon: Nymnoyn Orlyett (Guild Officer of Arcane Alliance).
    Orien Alts: Fairza Gogan (Dun'Robar); Mordook; & Iloros Gogan.
    Alt Server: Sarlona;
    Alt server toons: Nymnoyn Orlyett (main toon; ); & Orugar.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerevth View Post
    Bloody footprints? nah
    Demonic shields? newp
    Give me something with a white or silver aura, motes of light, clean white enameled plate or chain armors with blue or gold overlays.
    That'd be cool.

Hello,

call me crazy if you want to, ..... [snip]
    Okay lol.

Its been close to 12 years since monk was released, so I think handwrap weapon auras are well and truly overdue. Especially given we have hand auras already with EK spellsword.

Also, I wish they'd revert the WF Titan look. IMO it was much better before all the neon.

Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jerevth View Post
    Bloody footprints? nah
    Demonic shields? newp
    Agreed. I'm not a fan of the "evil is the new good" meme.

Quote Originally Posted by Aelonwy View Post
    And the ones they came up with from https://ddowiki.com/page/Memory_Lapse just don't look as pretty to me. With their almost neon, stark colors and the lack of the subtle shimmery variation of the original item. But it was a valiant try and I'm sure the results appealed to some because I have seen people wearing them. If they had made the ones I photoshopped though, as cosmetics, I would have bought the violet and the green immediately right from the store.
    I got my very first one last Friday on a guild run, so I'm just content (contend ?) with it.

I acknowledge that mechanics things are more easy to make and ro fix - but still, this is no text adventure. Graphics do play some role in making DDO appetising.
    It's the same with food . If it looks bland, we might lose interest in eating it fast.

But anyway - see ? This discussion is also quiet again. If it was about mechanics, hordes of contributors would suddenly appear out of nowhere ...
    Last edited by Alrik_Fassbauer; 05-24-2020 at 01:10 PM.
    "No, it doesn't say 'Lifeling' "

But anyway - see ? This discussion is also quiet again. If it was about mechanics, hordes of contributors would suddenly appear out of nowhere ...
    That’s because item mechanics are exponentially more important than an item’s appearance. I’m not saying your argument here bears no merit. As a matter of fact, I agree that there’s a lot of ugly gear and weapons out there. Actually, I find most of it to be unattractive eyesores, which is pretty much why I wear cosmetics all the time.

But the real problem is that differing tastes from player to player means you can’t make everything look appealing to everyone at the same time. I mean sure, I’d love to see more attractive gear, but if it comes down to looks versus functionality, I’ll go with functionality 100% of the time, then put on an attractive cosmetic to make it at least appear that I’ve got the best of both worlds.

Edit: It also doesn’t hurt that you can add an eldritch ritual +1 AC bonus along with risia ice games +10 festival cold and fire resists to cosmetic armor.
    Last edited by AstorPotamus; 05-25-2020 at 09:28 AM.
    The Komatme Brothers of Orien