Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Abandoned Ideas for DDO

There were a number of ideas or projects for DDO which were partially completed and then dropped by SSG after becoming known to the community. Among them are several below that I could recall:

A "Travelerium" so that returning players could easily make their way to quests/explorer areas;
    The Anauroch desert area in the Forgotten Realms;
    and a shared storage upgrade, which couldn't be implemented without causing considerable problems.

At the very least, I hope that Anauroch eventually sees the light of day. SSG has already completed the artwork for the Phaerimm monster (see the quest "Search and Rescue" from Update 31), so there is probably a good deal of content for this explorer area sitting on a hard drive somewhere.

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Phaerimm

I took a screenshot of the squashed Phaerimm found in Search and Rescue for an article I wrote years ago (scroll to the bottom of the page).

https://biobreak.wordpress.com/2016/...ch-and-rescue/

Can anyone add further ideas to this list? If something has enough merit, I would hope that SSG would considering revisiting the idea.

No loss in my mind. I'd rather see more practical work done first:

* Address character inventory limitations. I don't particularly care how it's addressed: Make all items BtA, increase inventory slots, permanent inventory slot favor rewards from House K/Coin Lords, etc. It's absolutely abysmal that I have to spend 20-30 min per life dragging stuff out of my TR cache because of how dog slow it is.

* Address the augment system limitations so more augments can be added to the game. The devs keep adding gear to the game with augment slots, but the augments haven't kept up with itemization for many years.
    Khyber: Kobeyashi | Ying. R10 or bust.

the ability to give each race access to an alternate enhancment tree -

think it was something like - dwarf was barb elf was pansy halfling was assassin humans were anything etc

honestly i just want them to finish things - it feels like cannith crafting isnt finished - and when i get one set done devs put out another crafting system - would like all the crafting more streamlined
    Last edited by Hobgoblin; 05-12-2020 at 08:22 AM.
    main toons: Cerrsi(silly caster/xbow) Sttomper (silly barbarian)-jammiee (Silly melee)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    You are still completely free to run around like a jackrabbit on caffeine.
    quem deus vult perdere, dementat prius

I'm from the High Desert, and I'd love to see more of my favorite wilderness incorporated into the game.

I remember being disappointed when Sev commented that there wasn't as much done on the Anauroch Desert as we might think. He also said something along the lines of it being difficult to differentiate deserts and make them look interesting.

We get a lot of that - people think deserts are boring and all the same - until you take them out into the desert and show them how to actually see it.

The picture you linked to is dark on my computer. Isn't that the squished critter by the entrance to the the longer Drow side quest? I remember that being an otyugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Tricosene View Post
    The picture you linked to is dark on my computer. Isn't that the squished critter by the entrance to the the longer Drow side quest? I remember that being an otyugh.
    Yes, and no, that is definitely a Phaerimm.

Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar

People seem to be more concerned about mechanics than about anything else.
    "No, it doesn't say 'Lifeling' "

Quote Originally Posted by The_Human_Cypher View Post
    There were a number of ideas or projects for DDO which were partially completed and then dropped by SSG after becoming known to the community. Among them are several below that I could recall:

A "Travelerium" so that returning players could easily make their way to quests/explorer areas;
    and a shared storage upgrade, which couldn't be implemented without causing considerable problems.

At the very least, I hope that Anauroch eventually sees the light of day. SSG has already completed the artwork for the Phaerimm monster (see the quest "Search and Rescue" from Update 31), so there is probably a good deal of content for this explorer area sitting on a hard drive somewhere.

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Phaerimm

I took a screenshot of the squashed Phaerimm found in Search and Rescue for an article I wrote years ago (scroll to the bottom of the page).

https://biobreak.wordpress.com/2016/...ch-and-rescue/

Can anyone add further ideas to this list? If something has enough merit, I would hope that SSG would considering revisiting the idea.
    You could instead interview some devs,
    I remember a section in slavelords(on the lamania preview) where a boulder would roll down a narrow passage way towards the player, akin to indiana jones.
    It was cut however, maybe a dev could talk about old scrapped content like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    I play a guy with a two-hander not just in this game, but in every game that has 'em.
    Quote Originally Posted by J-mann View Post
    Not to derail the thread, but then can you make 2hf NOT suck so much compared to 2wf or swf?
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    8 pages in, that train has already sailed. The dead horse is canned into cat food by now.

They have a boulder like that in the one dip chain pack
    Damonz Cannith

Quote Originally Posted by Hobgoblin View Post

think it was something like - dwarf was barb elf was pansy halfling was assassin humans were anything etc
    Yeah, I remember looking forward to that one for years and it never happening
    Sabbath - Sarlona

Well, back to the actual topic...

There is a looong list of specialized crafting mechanics that got "abandoned" in favor of something more practical - Dragontouched armor, for example. And other outdated concepts that were, at one time, implemented, but now have been/are being abandoned.

Mithral armor.

We'll have to see if Racial Variants gets expanded past Wood Elf. Tbd.

I still wonder what the raid boss for the scrapped "It Came From the Desert" was going to be

Interesting idea to compile past projects that haven’t (yet) come to the game.
    The Anauroch desert area in the Forgotten Realms
    This was the big one for me. The possibility of play on a floating city reminds me of the floating citadels from Dragonlance that I played in from AD&D modules as a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by lyrecono View Post
    You could instead interview some devs
    That would be great! Put together a list here and discuss them during an upcoming ‘Ask the Devs’ corner on DDOCast or DDO Players. (Not Damsels of DDO where all discussions end up being about Mythery - as they admittedly should be!).

This is a challenging topic to speak to though, the go to response will be ‘maybe one day’. I mean, pretty well everything not in the game is inherently ‘maybe one day’. It’s kind of a circular answer that makes me feel like a 7 year old child again. This response does little to elicit the imaginary possibilities of new worlds.

I disdain attempting to conjure any specific being in these tough times of quarantine. I however, will try to invoke the ghost of corona to entertain this one fancy. I would like to hear Sev speak on this topic above all, he has always been very good at speaking to future possible iterations of the game and how things moved away from some places in the past.
    Last edited by Grandern_Marn; 05-13-2020 at 03:27 AM.
    Start cross server trading and profit!
    Characters: Grandern Marn / Yazmirr Grezztl / Vexir Bristleblade / Zappinaizah Subatrumpf Server: Orien Guild: Faca na Caveira
    New to the Orien server? Type "/joinchannel Titan" into the chat window and join some lively DDO discussion! Happy to help out with any questions.

Oop, double post, I am not talking to myself....really. I have friends. Somewhere.

I just thought of another plan that got shelved....the kobold player race! The knee jerk reflex that kicked those suckers to the curb was glorious. One good poll and poof! Bye bye kobolds.
    (now if we could just do the same to make all this level 40 talk go poof....)
    Start cross server trading and profit!
    Characters: Grandern Marn / Yazmirr Grezztl / Vexir Bristleblade / Zappinaizah Subatrumpf Server: Orien Guild: Faca na Caveira
    New to the Orien server? Type "/joinchannel Titan" into the chat window and join some lively DDO discussion! Happy to help out with any questions.

honestly i just want them to finish things - it feels like cannith crafting isnt finished - and when i get one set done devs put out another crafting system - would like all the crafting more streamlined
    dorf was stalwart defender, drow was assassin, elf already has arcane archer so it wasnt getting another one, human was any. I remember thinking how op it would be to have a sorc with a stalwart defender splash and enough asf to wear heavy armor and shield. this was before EK

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dog View Post
    We'll have to see if Racial Variants gets expanded past Wood Elf. Tbd.
    I'd love to see a Dwarven variant, a Faerun version of the Drow variant, a Gnome variant based on building instead of magic (artificer or rogue type tree), Caliban as a Ravenloft Half-Orc variant, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by carsonfball View Post
    I'd love to see a Dwarven variant, a Faerun version of the Drow variant, a Gnome variant based on building instead of magic (artificer or rogue type tree), Caliban as a Ravenloft Half-Orc variant, etc.
    Count me in for the Drow variant, I would love to see a Faerun or even a Greyhawk variant of the Drow. As a PnP player as well, drow are supposed to have white eyes, not red!

While on that topic, I'm still waiting (and salivating) over the Isle of Dread pack (which seems to have been abandoned).

I'd also be interested in possibly adapting some other Eberron areas into the game (since we already got Sharn), such Aerenal (realm of the elves), the Talenta Plains (realm of the halflings), and/or the Mror Holds (realm of the dwarves). Even the Mournland or the Eldeen Reaches might be interesting if done well.

Quote Originally Posted by stengdog123 View Post
    I'd also be interested in possibly adapting some other Eberron areas into the game (since we already got Sharn), such Aerenal (realm of the elves), the Talenta Plains (realm of the halflings), and/or the Mror Holds (realm of the dwarves). Even the Mournland or the Eldeen Reaches might be interesting if done well.
    Eberron has so many places they could expand into. I'd love to go to Droaam (retribution for the invasion we stopped), Zilargo (home of the gnomes), and an expedition to Argonesson.

For FR, Anauroch would've been good if it included the Ruins of Hlaungadath and its Lamia inhabitants. I would love for them to take us to Myth Drannor and the Dalelands.
    THANK YOU SO MUCH

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnbeimnech View Post
    dorf was stalwart defender, drow was assassin, elf already has arcane archer so it wasnt getting another one, human was any. I remember thinking how op it would be to have a sorc with a stalwart defender splash and enough asf to wear heavy armor and shield. this was before EK
    I'm kinda glad this didnt happen because human would've been WAY OP, so much so that it would've completely limited all the Enhancement revamps and new trees and new classes since then, because everything would have to be balanced against "what if Human takes this with another class?"

I can imagine how crazy it'd be taking, e.g. Enlightened Spirit for the defense....or Frenzied Berserker on a THF Paladin...or Beacon of Hope on any build without self-heals...or a pure monk with Tempest....an 18/2 Wiz PM with VC...or h3ll, an Inqui/Mechanic on literally any class split

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

the ability to give each race access to an alternate enhancment tree
    The original plan AFAIK: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/166967
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    Human: Cannith Dragonmark Heir, Deneith Dragonmark Heir, Orien Dragonmark Heir, Tharashk Dragonmark Heir
    Dwarf: Kundarak Dragonmark Heir, Dwarven Defender [Counts as Fighter]
    Elf: Arcane Archer [Counts as Ranger], Phiarlan Dragonmark Heir
    Halfling: Jorasco Dragonmark Heir
    Warforged: Warforged Juggernaut [Counts as Barbarian]
    Drow: Scorpion Wraith [Counts as Rogue]
    Kobold remembers. Kobold never forgets.
    Major build threads: Axesinger / Dwarven Defender / Drow Ninja / Drow Paladin / Elven Ranger / Monkcher / Sacred Vanguard / Cleric Domains / Kundarak Brigade / Iconic Builds
    My Build Index: a Motley Menagerie of Original Rapscallions, Pugilists, and Gimps!

Further racial variants have been put on the back burner for the time being, it seems. Perhaps we will see one with the Feywild expansion later this year.

I do hope The Isle of Dread expansion still happens, even if it takes awhile to get the tech and animation right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast