Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Community Member The_Other_Ted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    28

    Default Spell caster newb

    Hi all, I'm returning to DDO after a good long absence, and I realized that I've never given spell casters a solid try. I tried playing a sorcerer long, long ago in a place far, far away (literally; I've moved twice since then), and it was... a bit painful. I don't think I completed a single Korthos quest, and not for want of trying.

    That said, I'd like to try again. Any tips for someone who has never played a spellcaster in any sort of DnD? Specifically, any pointers on "growing" a newly hatched spellcaster? Seems like multiclassing into (or even starting as) some flavor of fighter would make things a little easier... but it might also feel like a cheat. Still, even Gandalf wielded a sword from time to time... BTW, I'm just not into Clerics or Druids - it's irrational, I know, but the very existence of those classes has annoyed me since ADD.

    On a side note, I don't recall Warlocks being in DDO last time I played. I am familiar with the general idea through DnD 5e, and it intrigues me quite a bit. Problem is, I'm one of those "concept" players; I don't get a lot of enjoyment out of a character unless I have at least a vague idea about its personality, background, or goals - and I just haven't had a conceptual brain flash that screams "Warlock." Anyone care to throw out some ideas to help jumpstart my Warlock oriented creativity?

  2. #2
    Community Member banjo174's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    In my room
    Posts
    785

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Other_Ted View Post
    Problem is, I'm one of those "concept" players
    No one is going to be able to convince you to play something that you dont want to play. That being said. Every caster has a rough start until they get to the mid levels. When I start a sorcerer caster, or wizard caster. I will often be using a two handed sword, just cause its more damage than my typical spell. By the time I am level 5 however, I will have some SLAs going, maximize and empower, and I wont need to melee anymore. Sorcerers are a lot of fun in the mid levels, when it starts clearing entire rooms with delayed blast fireballs, and meteor swarm later on.
    ~IAmTheGreySoldier~

  3. #3
    Community Member The_Other_Ted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    28

    Default

    That's a thought. Way back when, my Bard/Barbarian carried a 2H axe before she picked up a Barb level. Missed a lot, but its damage was enough to make up for it. Using a 2H sword also brings to mind a concept that could work for a Warlock. Add a splash or two of Fighter (or maybe even Paladin, if feasible), and you've got someone who fights the shadows, precisely because he knows what's hiding there...

    I remember multiclassing a caster wasn't recommended back in the day. Is that still true?

  4. #4
    Community Member C-Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Lacalifusa
    Posts
    5,326

    Default

    Any caster is going to be a wimp at Level 1 - same as tabletop.

    Best plan is to Master's Touch (take it as a Wiz, or scroll it as a Sorcie), and use the best 2-handed weapon you can find.

    Sorcerer is far better than it used to be - you should take it for a spin again, see if things haven't improved.

    Quote Originally Posted by banjo174 View Post
    By the time I am level 5 however, I will have some SLAs going, maximize and empower...
    Level 5?

    An SLA costs 4 AP - you can have 2 going full blast by the end of Level 2, with both Maximize and Empower* the moment you take 3 (plus a 3rd Feat if you're Human). Add those to some matching spells , and you almost have a full rotation, more than enough to hold your own once you hit Level 3 (when I like Web, for CC). Add almost any droploot spellpower items, and from there it only gets better.

    (* I believe that starting w/ Enlarge + Maximize is better for Air Savant, but ymmv.)

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Other_Ted View Post
    I remember multiclassing a caster wasn't recommended back in the day. Is that still true?
    Depends what you're doing with it, and which "caster" we're talking about.

    If going to 30, you 100% want a pure Sorcie. The core 20 capstone is too strong to miss.

    If a Wiz, you can either go pure or toss 2 (max) levels of something else - Rogue is the classic for a "Pale Trapper", but there are other spins. The idea is that those dips make leveling faster, so offset any delay in absolute casting power.

    If only going to 20, you can afford to dip w/ a Sorcie - Barb (for faster kiting) and/or Wizard (late, after your good spells) for another metamagic Feat are among the most popular.

  5. #5
    Founder Enkidu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Under your bed...shhhh...
    Posts
    167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Other_Ted View Post
    Hi all, I'm returning to DDO after a good long absence, and I realized that I've never given spell casters a solid try. I tried playing a sorcerer long, long ago in a place far, far away (literally; I've moved twice since then), and it was... a bit painful. I don't think I completed a single Korthos quest, and not for want of trying.

    That said, I'd like to try again. Any tips for someone who has never played a spellcaster in any sort of DnD? Specifically, any pointers on "growing" a newly hatched spellcaster? Seems like multiclassing into (or even starting as) some flavor of fighter would make things a little easier... but it might also feel like a cheat. Still, even Gandalf wielded a sword from time to time... BTW, I'm just not into Clerics or Druids - it's irrational, I know, but the very existence of those classes has annoyed me since ADD.

    On a side note, I don't recall Warlocks being in DDO last time I played. I am familiar with the general idea through DnD 5e, and it intrigues me quite a bit. Problem is, I'm one of those "concept" players; I don't get a lot of enjoyment out of a character unless I have at least a vague idea about its personality, background, or goals - and I just haven't had a conceptual brain flash that screams "Warlock." Anyone care to throw out some ideas to help jumpstart my Warlock oriented creativity?
    Strimtom recently posted an easy first life warlock build in the warlock forum, but any great old one warlock is going to be easy to level. Sorc and wizards both have nice melee enhancement lines (Eld Knight) that make your starting life easier, just remember you have to turn on spellsword every time you log in. I typically tank until I get my first good aoe nuke (Acid blast) at level 5 (7 for sorc). Web turns out to be a great tanking aid, btw.

  6. #6
    Community Member C-Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Lacalifusa
    Posts
    5,326

    Default

    The 1 AP cleave of EK helps w/ leveling, but chasing EK further should (imo) be left for later levels. A simple 4 AP SLA combined w/ Maximize and decent spellpower gear can often 1-shot most mobs, and some kiting and any sort of spell rotation covers the tougher ones.

    After 8 AP into 2 SLA's (9 w/ EK), start the march down your preferred starting Savant path, w/ crits and improved spell power, etc. Dump 2ndary savant completely once you don't need it to fill your spell rotation, and add those points into your primary savant tree.

    Quote Originally Posted by Enkidu View Post
    ...I typically tank until I get my first good aoe nuke (Acid blast) at level 5 (7 for sorc). Web turns out to be a great tanking aid, btw.
    This reminded me of some "starting wizard" advice - had to dig a little, but found it...

    o https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post5078946

    If following this, a wizard can take a little more EK to start for defensiveness/melee, since they don't have the same powerful SLA's that a Sorcie enjoys.

  7. #7
    Community Member Razor_Wit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    474

    Default

    Note: No one can scroll cast MT on a 2-handed weapon.
    "Unexplained noises are best left unexplained."
    -John Bellairs-

  8. #8
    Community Member The_Other_Ted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Razor_Wit View Post
    Note: No one can scroll cast MT on a 2-handed weapon.
    *nods sagely*

    ...what's a MT and why do I want it?

  9. #9
    Community Member C-Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Lacalifusa
    Posts
    5,326

    Default

    o https://ddowiki.com/page/Master%27s_Touch

    And I keep forgetting that, yes, you can't hold a scroll/wand and a 2-handed weapon at the same time. Have to know the spell for those weapons. Sorcerers can swap spells, it just costs a few hundred plat - try to do it just before leveling up to 3rd(?) to save a little.

  10. #10
    Community Member The_Other_Ted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    28

    Default

    Ah, thanks for that. I was actually thinking of starting off as a fighter, then multiclassing into a spellcaster (warlock, specifically, still intrigues me). Either that, or going "pure" warlock, but using the human bonus feat to gain Greatsword proficiency.

    BTW, I'm not really interested in full-on optimization - for me, it's more fun to see if I can take an interesting (if offbeat) concept and make it reasonably competent.

  11. #11
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    5,439

    Default starting a sorcerer

    starter human sorcerer 20 - full caster

    abilities: max cha, 10 int, then max con
    skills: concentration, spellcraft, umd
    feats: 1 maximize, empower; 3 spell focus:evo; 6 heighten; 9 greater spell focus: evo; 12 mental toughness, 15 improved mental toughness, 18 quicken
    early spells: sonic blast, jump, shield, add expeditious retreat if you have no extra source of movement speed

    AP:
    * when you have 4 AP, select a savant tree and take the SLA
    * when you have 8 AP, select another savant tree and take the SLA
    * when you have 23 AP, reset enhancements and take two SLAs in one tree, usually fire for scorch

    Hotbar:
    * Sonic Blast - no metamagics
    * SLA1 with all metamagics for free
    * SLA2 with all metamagics for free
    * fireball (later)
    * other offensive spells if needed
    ...
    * CSW potion

    Harbor gear:
    100 CSW pots
    100 charisma pots (from marketplace): until you can equip a +4 charisma item or greater
    100 aid pots (if you want to enter each fight with a little extra buffer)
    spell power, spell lore, evocation focus items, usual defensive stuff
    -Robe of Duality from Catacombs is great to have

    Gameplay
    * Buff with Jump and expeditious retreat, charisma potion, and aid potion
    * Sonic Blast mobs to group them up and pause them.
    * Kill mobs with SLAs.
    * Sonic Blast mobs again while waiting for the SLAs to recharge.

    Don't swing your weapons.

    At level 6, you can open with fireball, then sonic blast to pause the game, and clean up with Scorch SLA.

    As you get more competent, you can try applying maximize to your biggest nuke (fireball, chain lightning, delayed blast fireball, ...). See how much faster you clear stuff versus how fast it consumes your spell points.

    For a starter sorc, don't worry much about most non-evocation spells. Focus on one thing and do it well, rather than being mediocre in multiple roles.

    Don't expect to be able to use heal scrolls anytime soon. Use hirelings.

  12. #12
    Community Member mr420247's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,862

    Default

    A good race can help that can self heal war forged blade forged aasimar if your just doing r1s to 20 - 30

    Wand n scroll mastery when you get enough umd cha for heal scrolls is op too

    Ravenloft and sharn gear pretty op too not too had to farm
    Damonz Cannith

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload