Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    210

    Default items that give shield bonus to ac

    so i've been pondering my white dragon armor and it's shield bonus to ac, currently 6ac and upgradable to 8ac. i wondered if it gives me the status of wearing a shield. i've found for some effects i am considered to be wearing a shield. the effects i've found so far that act on a player as tho they were wearing a shield are from the unyielding sentinel destiny. the tier one skill "shield prowess (3)" and t2 "legendary shield mastery (1/3)". when looking at my ac i find my ac jumps when i take these skills and i also get the prr bonuses.

    what other effects act on a player when they're holding a shield that i might find to further my benefit of wearing a shield? yaknow, even tho i'm not actually holding a shield.

    i'm unsure if the shield spell gives the same status modification as the white dragon armor does. it gives ac the same way it seems since it's listed in the same place under the ac breakdown tool tip. could be worth looking into.

  2. #2
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    210

    Default

    just checked, t3 shield prowess increases ac by 6 when the shield spell is active instead of the 4ac the spell lists.

  3. #3
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    210

    Default

    i wonder what kind of shield these bonuses are granted from. untyped?

  4. #4
    Community Member Noctus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    4,559

    Default

    Getting a Shield Bonus to AC is not the same as actually wearing a Shield.

    Rules techically wise these two are just often together, but they dont need to. Like with some Armors or spells.
    Erzskalde (Warchanter) / Erzassassin (just passing through - ignore me) / Erzsoldat (waiting for TR-time) / Erzschmied (ranged Artificer)

  5. #5
    Community Member voxson5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,293

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Noctus View Post
    Getting a Shield Bonus to AC is not the same as actually wearing a Shield.
    Except if it comes from the shield spell, then it counts as a buckler or light shield for grazing hits - not sure if this applies to inherent shield effect on items though.

  6. #6
    Founder Enkidu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Under your bed...shhhh...
    Posts
    167

    Default

    The game could do with some clarity on the term "shield" for sure. But it's DDO and having literally three versions of "shield" is kind of par for the course. The "shield" spell gives you protection AC and blocks magic missile. So it doesn't stack with other protection items, but you really need it in mid-reaper and higher or you will die a nasty quick death. "Shield" on armor and orbs grants the same AC protection effects, but not the magic missile defense, so while you don't need that extra protection item you'll still need magic shield spells in reaper runs. Then there's the "shield" when your hold a board in your offhand. This gives you armor AC and the same protection AC, but also blocking improvements with damage reduction. It doesn't give you magic missile defense so you'll need to use a shield spell for that in reaper runs. I think that's all on shield, so I hope it clears it up a bit.

  7. #7
    Community Member Hawkwier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    506

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Enkidu View Post
    The game could do with some clarity on the term "shield" for sure. But it's DDO and having literally three versions of "shield" is kind of par for the course. The "shield" spell gives you protection AC and blocks magic missile. So it doesn't stack with other protection items, but you really need it in mid-reaper and higher or you will die a nasty quick death. "Shield" on armor and orbs grants the same AC protection effects, but not the magic missile defense, so while you don't need that extra protection item you'll still need magic shield spells in reaper runs. Then there's the "shield" when your hold a board in your offhand. This gives you armor AC and the same protection AC, but also blocking improvements with damage reduction. It doesn't give you magic missile defense so you'll need to use a shield spell for that in reaper runs. I think that's all on shield, so I hope it clears it up a bit.
    Sorry but some of this isn't quite correct.

    The Shield spell gives a +4 Shield bonus which stacks with Armor bonus, Natural Armor bonus etc., including the Deflection bonus from Protection augments.

    What it doesn't stack with are other Shield bonuses from, naturally enough, shields.

    Just double checked this on my twf barb: Standing AC 121. With shield spell AC 125. With buckler of 19 Shield bonus plus Shield spell AC 140.

    If you don't use a shield, then the Shield spell will generally speaking (I'm sure there may be exceptions) improve your AC by 4.

  8. #8
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Copenhagen
    Posts
    740

    Default

    There was a thread on this some time back. I think i started it.

    Shield prowess works even if not wearing shield. so does stalwart shield mastery and reinforced shield. So does shield mastery from human and dwarf.

    However reinforced armor from renegade mastermaker or stalwart or paladin sacred defender does not apply if you are using a robe. So it's not really consistent.

    If i understand your question you are also looking for items that gives shield bonus which are not shields.

    https://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Barovi...les%27_Regalia

    https://ddowiki.com/page/Item:White_Dragonscale_Armor

    (any white dragonscale armor)

    https://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Aetherband

    I am pretty sure that's all of them.
    Check out my website for calculating DPS and damage mitigation: http://mmlddo.com

  9. #9
    Founder Enkidu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Under your bed...shhhh...
    Posts
    167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkwier View Post
    Sorry but some of this isn't quite correct.

    The Shield spell gives a +4 Shield bonus which stacks with Armor bonus, Natural Armor bonus etc., including the Deflection bonus from Protection augments.

    What it doesn't stack with are other Shield bonuses from, naturally enough, shields.

    Just double checked this on my twf barb: Standing AC 121. With shield spell AC 125. With buckler of 19 Shield bonus plus Shield spell AC 140.

    If you don't use a shield, then the Shield spell will generally speaking (I'm sure there may be exceptions) improve your AC by 4.
    You're right, I was thinking of shield of faith, which is deflection and doesn't stack with protection, so there's four versions of "shield" lol. You shouldn't be getting the +4 AC from the shield spell if your armor has an enhancement bonus, those shouldn't stack. If it is stacking, let me know!

  10. #10
    Community Member voxson5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,293

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Enkidu View Post
    You're right, I was thinking of shield of faith, which is deflection and doesn't stack with protection, so there's four versions of "shield" lol. You shouldn't be getting the +4 AC from the shield spell if your armor has an enhancement bonus, those shouldn't stack. If it is stacking, let me know!
    I think you are confused.

    Armour typed bonus is different to, and therefore stacks with, a shield typed bonus.

    You will also note that an enhancement bonus, is neither of these.

  11. #11
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Enkidu View Post
    You're right, I was thinking of shield of faith, which is deflection and doesn't stack with protection, so there's four versions of "shield" lol. You shouldn't be getting the +4 AC from the shield spell if your armor has an enhancement bonus, those shouldn't stack. If it is stacking, let me know!
    the spell shield and the white dragon armor "shield" do not stack. if anyone were confused to think i were confused and thought these did stack, fear not, i am not confused.

  12. #12
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ultinoob View Post
    If i understand your question you are also looking for items that gives shield bonus which are not shields.
    no, not quite. my question was, "while wearing one of these items that gives the state of wearing a shield, what are some other bonuses that you can get for wearing a shield even tho you arent." with a secondary question, "what are some other things that give a shield bonus."

    wasn't just one question (:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload