Thread: The Polar Bear

Community Member

Default The Polar Bear

Now that THF is back in the spotlight, I'm looking at how to make the best use of it. I traditionally liked swashbuckling even for warchanters, but strikethrough spices things up.

Frozen Fury will be the main focus, striking through enemies, making them helpless.
    This wouldn't necessarily require T5 warchanter, but that is where I ended up anyway.
    Druid for Nature's Warrior for 15% more damage versus helpless, 10% fort bypass and because bear seems slightly better than regular THF.

16 bard, 3 druid, 1 cleric

38 points in warchanter.
    25 in falconry
    4 in warpriest
    12 in nature's warrior. 1 more if you have universal AP
    1 in nature's defender
    3 racial in PDK, more is nice to have.

1. (swapped fighter away so +0 BAB): stunning blow
    pdk human: force of personality
    3. precision
    6. natural fighting
    9. natural fighting
    12. natural fighting
    15. completionist
    18. quicken
    21. overwhelming crit
    24. inspire excelence
    26. perfect two-weapon
    27. quick draw
    28. perfect two-handed fighting
    29. dire charge.
    30. epic damage reduction

Destiny either dreadnought or fatesinger, twisting at least
    4 sense weakness
    3 meld
    2 confront any foe

Using blackrazor with cha to hit, damage, ½ to attack damage and dcs, and because of PDK 1/3rd more to dcs.
    Wearing medium armor part of the family set.
    In epic defensive fighting stance.

You can play Bear Necessities any time you buff, as well as make Frozen references. Double dipping the Disney.

I'll flesh this out a bit more as I run it. If I find time to play.
    Any additions so far?
    Last edited by Rull; 06-29-2020 at 11:41 AM.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rull View Post
    Druid for Nature's Warrior for 15% more damage versus helpless, 10% fort bypass and because bear seems slightly better than regular THF.
    This is in part because you can abuse Natural Fighting + Great Weapon Aptitude + barbarian Strikethrough enhancements stacking together. Which is why heavy barb/druid multiclasses seem to have sprouted up. However you're using bard / Warchanter as the basis for your build rather than barb; so you're not getting all the other DPS bonuses those builds get (i.e., Focused Wrath and the Angry Arms/Mad Munitions/Focus Wide line). You have no crit bonuses other than Howl of the North and you're stuck using greatswords which are mostly 17-20/x2 (except for SoS of course). +15% helpless damage from Prey on the Weak is not so great if your baseline DPS is mediocre-to-subpar.
    Major build threads: Axesinger / Dwarven Defender / Drow Ninja / Drow Paladin / Elven Ranger / Monkcher / Sacred Vanguard / Cleric Domains / Kundarak Brigade / Iconic Builds
    My Build Index: a Motley Menagerie of Original Rapscallions, Pugilists, and Gimps!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    This is in part because you can abuse Natural Fighting + Great Weapon Aptitude + barbarian Strikethrough enhancements stacking together. Which is why heavy barb/druid multiclasses seem to have sprouted up. However you're using bard / Warchanter as the basis for your build rather than barb; so you're not getting all the other DPS bonuses those builds get (i.e., Focused Wrath and the Angry Arms/Mad Munitions/Focus Wide line). You have no crit bonuses other than Howl of the North and you're stuck using greatswords which are mostly 17-20/x2 (except for SoS of course). +15% helpless damage from Prey on the Weak is not so great if your baseline DPS is mediocre-to-subpar.
    Yeah, I meant just the 12 doublestrike, 6 MP (and 12 PRR) that natural has going over regular THF. I know I won't get full use out of bear. I won't reach great dps but still want the best I can do. I'm trying to work within that premise and compare with similar builds.

Its hard to justify a melee build witch doesn't get expanded crit profile and melee power bumps. I would sugest adding a class that helps fill in these gaps at t5. Wizard, fighter, barb, sorc, all give melee power bonuses and crit profile improvments that work with greatsword. I would also sugest a 1 lvl dip in cleric to pick up divine might and turn undead for confront.

This leaves you with something like 14 bard, 5 (barb?), 1 cleric. Or 13 bard, 6fighter,1cleric to save a heart of wood.

If your ok with only a 5 second duration On frozen fury then a 14 war domain cleric, 5 bard (t5 warchanter), 1 fighter gives a strong build.

Or you could just take the easy rout and run 20 pally.

Another option to think about is going into More druid. Bear form lets you pick up several really good melee cc options (tho no freezing). Check out my build in the druid forms for more details on that: big bear doing stuff.

Community Member

Could be that the crit profile is just too terrible yeah. SoS probably just saves it while leveling.

I figured a 1.35 crit profile * 2.1 helpless * 1.06 music wouldn't be that far behind a 13 bard 6 barbarian 1 cleric with frenzied berserker T5 and a falchion (1.95crit profile*1.95 helpless). Especially since I'd be ahead 18% doublestike, 2 MP and are single-stat. And the CC would be better.

But, maybe such a 13/6/1 isn't fair to compare with. That one is already weak in dps compared to any bardless dps, or one with silvanus (8 bard / 6 barbarian / 6 cleric was what I was looking at for that).
    Last edited by Rull; 05-08-2020 at 02:33 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrim1 View Post
    Another option to think about is going into More druid. Bear form lets you pick up several really good melee cc options (tho no freezing). Check out my build in the druid forms for more details on that: big bear doing stuff.
    Most of them don't give helpless though, do they? I thought they were mostly trips, except for great maul en savage roar?

Quote Originally Posted by Rull View Post
    Most of them don't give helpless though, do they? I thought they were mostly trips, except for great maul en savage roar?
    Dire charge, stunning blow, great maul, savage roar all give helpless.

Nothing that works vs reapers however.

Also while its possible to keep things Parma stunned its a bit of a challenge. Also savage roar is really freeken good. I really like bards freeze the issue is that bards don't lend themselves that well to 2hf

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrim1 View Post
    Dire charge, stunning blow, great maul, savage roar all give helpless.

(
    Savage roar is awesome, I agree - but it doesn't induce helpless condition. You can get it to hit reasonably hard with 3 stacks/full-ish druid levels/melee power boosts/prowess filigree/blitz combo, but helpless isn't where its function is at.