Default First-Life Sorcerer, solo Epic R1+ ?

NB! I'm referring to EPIC leveling only here. Sorc steamrolls heroics.

Assuming you have a gear-source, melee can solo r1~r4 on first life. Ranged r1~r6. But, for Sorc, I'm having a pretty hard time just doing r1. Bosses take forever and a day plus almost a full manabar and there are always critters in every pack that take no damage from normal AE (champs & archers). I'm curious how or even IF people are playing sorcerer on a first-life character.

My own trial sorcerer seems to be telling me that it's a class not really intended to play past EH on a first life. I've been running mine on R1 for souls and extra DCs (first ETR), but the struggle compared to a melee or ranged is pretty crazy and it's almost entirely due to ultra high saves on archers and champions.

BTW, my current frustations with the class may stem from a recent trip into the underdark -- and a first life caster has no hope of breaking the SR there at level. Do y'all just skip Drow and return at L30 to fill out the saga for ETR? Am I simply too used to the charge and hack-away play of a carefree melee or the leisurely kiting of a ranged?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bjond View Post
    NB! I'm referring to EPIC leveling only here. melee can solo r1~r4 on first life
    huh?

NB! I'm referring to EPIC leveling only here. Sorc steamrolls heroics.

Assuming you have a gear-source, melee can solo r1~r4 on first life. Ranged r1~r6. But, for Sorc, I'm having a pretty hard time just doing r1. Bosses take forever and a day plus almost a full manabar and there are always critters in every pack that take no damage from normal AE (champs & archers). I'm curious how or even IF people are playing sorcerer on a first-life character.

My own trial sorcerer seems to be telling me that it's a class not really intended to play past EH on a first life. I've been running mine on R1 for souls and extra DCs (first ETR), but the struggle compared to a melee or ranged is pretty crazy and it's almost entirely due to ultra high saves on archers and champions.

BTW, my current frustations with the class may stem from a recent trip into the underdark -- and a first life caster has no hope of breaking the SR there at level. Do y'all just skip Drow and return at L30 to fill out the saga for ETR? Am I simply too used to the charge and hack-away play of a carefree melee or the leisurely kiting of a ranged?
    I am not sure about your claims that melee/ranged can solo R1+ epics but I do agree that a first life sorc would not do well solo in R1 epics. I find that fully acceptable though as that gives something to aim for. If melee/ranged are doing that on a first life char I find that to be the issue.
    Danskerne
    A Danish Guild on Ghallanda. Send PM if interested.
    Leading Raids Thursdays from 20 CET and Sundays from 21 CET.

Can't imagine any first life class can solo R1 epic, you pretty much need access to EDs. Maybe later into the epic levels you could try once you have some EDs, but no way at 20.

Quote Originally Posted by Enkidu View Post
    Can't imagine any first life class can solo R1 epic, you pretty much need access to EDs. Maybe later into the epic levels you could try once you have some EDs, but no way at 20.
    I mostly agree for melee; my very first character could do r1 without EDs once I discovered how amazing sleet-storm was, but it was far more of a square peg being pounded into a round hole ordeal than it's natural place -- that was more a mix of EE and EH. Ranged, OTH, can definitely solo r1 on first arrival @ L20 if it's geared (eg. by your main). Ranged is just silly easy.

BTW, what I mean by first life is closer to "no PLs" not the naked f2p hitting 20 for the first time that some mean; ie. Supreme+8, full karma in all EDs, and geared with whatever you want other than raid gear. Ideally 21 reaper points before ETR, but none of my chars had that. I suppose a better term would be "first ETR".

--

So, for apples-to-apples comparison, my sorc is the same: S8s, EDs, pick of (non-raid) gear, zero PLs. It's amazing for clearing trash in a group, but even @ L30 struggles with r1 solo. I can see how to make it perform with PLs and LGS, just hoping there's a method people use for acquiring ETRs so I don't need to force a sorc to live as some unnatural creation over and over in order to perform as a sorc.

Play it 100% grouped? It leads the kill count there and doesn't need to worry (much) about things that evade when other party members clean those. Maybe only log it in on those occasions when there are enough to make a group and otherwise play a different char.

Hmm, does being top at clearing trash make it a "garbage class"?

I mostly agree for melee; my very first character could do r1 without EDs once I discovered how amazing sleet-storm was, but it was far more of a square peg being pounded into a round hole ordeal than it's natural place -- that was more a mix of EE and EH. Ranged, OTH, can definitely solo r1 on first arrival @ L20 if it's geared (eg. by your main). Ranged is just silly easy.

BTW, what I mean by first life is closer to "no PLs" not the naked f2p hitting 20 for the first time that some mean; ie. Supreme+8, full karma in all EDs, and geared with whatever you want other than raid gear. Ideally 21 reaper points before ETR, but none of my chars had that. I suppose a better term would be "first ETR".

--

So, for apples-to-apples comparison, my sorc is the same: S8s, EDs, pick of (non-raid) gear, zero PLs. It's amazing for clearing trash in a group, but even @ L30 struggles with r1 solo. I can see how to make it perform with PLs and LGS, just hoping there's a method people use for acquiring ETRs so I don't need to force a sorc to live as some unnatural creation over and over in order to perform as a sorc.

Play it 100% grouped? It leads the kill count there and doesn't need to worry (much) about things that evade when other party members clean those. Maybe only log it in on those occasions when there are enough to make a group and otherwise play a different char.

Hmm, does being top at clearing trash make it a "garbage class"?
    Agreed. You can run any well built toon through epic R1 once they have ED, +8 tome, and gear from RL and Sharn. You still need to play smart, it's not just elite with reapers in it, but I think anyone could figure it out with a little patience.

Curious just wondering if your element is lightning it has the highest dc bar needed for dcs dps vs high evade mobs

For high spell pen mobs webs fire wall - acid blast works. New ek pretty op too whip out your Archons great axe or sos n cleave cheap

For mana regen try resplendent fury orb n drac hunger best in game

Fire should be easier with more no save damage and empyrean crits other then that if a Sorc can't do enough dps caster for you

Everything else is alot worse you could try lock its alot less dps but Lyn says shes doing big things with it maybe adding light n dark pacts

Its less dps but alot less of it is resisted the radiance part almost always works on all mobs and has self healing that helps

Lantern ring and LGS radiance still scale with rad power if we could ever get enhancement radiance and the light tree could be decent

You also don't list your feats greater epic spell focus evocation might help to get your dcs workable or your gear set esoteric should work

Shiradi used to be decent for casters wo the dcs to get etrs done but they hella nerfd it so procs only scale with ranged power cuz o inquisitors

And **** ball got the nerf from orbit too so ya epic caster feats are pretty meh for dps these days and the dark fire nerf

Boss dps what twists are you using Dump sense weakness its trash only maybe try double rainbow or bound and grim fate helps a little
    Last edited by mr420247; 05-09-2020 at 05:31 PM.
    Damonz Cannith

TLDR summary: thanks for the tips! Have some differences of opinion, but slotting Greater Spell Focus Feats had a large impact -- larger than it should have, imho -- wondering if something strange is happening there.

Quote Originally Posted by mr420247 View Post
    Curious just wondering if your element is lightning it has the highest dc bar needed for dcs dps vs high evade mobs
    Yep, currently Ice & Air. Oddly enough, on my 2nd ETR I swapped out 3x Mental Toughness for Evocation+1 and Enchantment+2 -- HUGE difference. Ran in Draconic and stuck cd-prepped holds even as L27 in Sharn low reaper. Just that tiny bit of a DC push should not have made the difference it did. I'm wondering if the feats don't have a hidden debuffing factor -- a parser that showed DCs would've been VERY nice for comparisons.

For high spell pen mobs webs fire wall
    Ice Storm and Sleet Storm negate fire wall and are (imho) vital. Add Solid Fog and/or Waves of Exhaustion and even if you can't stick CC, you can kite things forever. I do agree that Fire is by FAR the easiest route for gearing a sorc. There's nothing for cold unless you run with Hruit's (heavy & no CHA). Arcsteel lacks Hamp, Cold, and CHA. Esoteric is flimsy, lower DPS, harder to fit Hamp and CON (can't use collective sight), but does have extra DCs (+3 total v Hruit | Arc).

IMHO, Hruit's needs a parity update to include CHA+4 and a Medium version for more natural use by cold sorcs.

Fire should be easier with more no save damage and empyrean crits other then that if a Sorc can't do enough dps caster for you
    I prefer the no-saves for cold by far; eg. Polar Ray usually one-shots archers L29+. I do have a fire build on paper that I might play one day -- it's so much easier to gear fire -- but I know I'll seriously miss the air leap, KD immunity, no-save melee & kite AE puddles, chain arcing around corners, etc. etc..

gear set esoteric should work
    Used to use Esoteric. Punted it for Hruits. The DPS is consistently higher (clouded dreams doesn't stack with Esoteric), but the survival is the best part. It's not really necessary in a good group, but for the other 2/3's and for solo, I'm basically the tank even v bosses.

If I ever get the PN glasses on this character and I don't like Wizard better, I might go back to Esoteric as a Blade Forged to fix survival issues. Seriously irked that construct sorcerer is so much more viable than squishy; that should be a wizard thing -- sorcs are instinctual creatures not clockwork artifacts and the game rules should encourage that.

BTW, I agree with your comments on other trees and classes. Tried warlock. Survival is nice, but that's about it. And, just from looking at EDs I know anything outside the arcane sphere will completely pummel DCs and DPS. I'll be taking this character into Wizard next TR for comparison to see if I like playing instant-kill style and if not, the PLs would be welcome.

Ultimately, I just want a character that can solo r1 slavers (or similar) VERY quickly. My melee takes about 35~40m solo for one part; multiplied by 9x for roughly how long it takes to fill out a single item and that becomes painful. I'm starting to cringe when considering a slaver's item in a gear set.

One nice thing even about a fresh new sorc is that it can solo trash unbelievably fast; takes about 25m for an HE COGS saga, averaging about 2m to clear each instance with the rest in travel time -- makes filling out new "nearly finished" (ha, misnomer there) items fairly painless.

On the reduced difficulty front, learned that L26 Sorc can easily blow through solo LH COGS and even older EE content when it's over-level by a few notches. Went from 20->29 in about 6H with a 50% pot (not entirely solo .. maybe 50%?). It's making me reconsider ETR plan and style for this character. I usually get very bored with "too easy", but the struggle to maintain speed might prevent yawning.

Ice has the best single target but fire gets you empyrean crits at 20 that can be a huge difference

Meteor swarm n dbf should get you max aoe perfect for slavers

been itrs lately on a pm build def decent at cap for maxing rxp

These days i don't use even a single sharn item i'd probly skip that grind won't even need if u do go pm
    Last edited by mr420247; 05-18-2020 at 11:35 AM.
    Damonz Cannith