Default Dungeons & Dragons in Virtual Reality

Okay, this is a very surreal experience. A cool one, but very surreal. I recently (as in last Tuesday) received my Oculus Quest VR headset. Since then I've done a lot of stuff messing around in VR, from games like Beat Saber as a form of exercise to Moss and Arizona Sunshine. Then I bought this piece of software. I've used it for general browsing of the internet, but today I decided to try playing a computer game in VR. So I picked DDO. Do people know just how amazing it is to play an MMO in a nebula using a magic window or on a cinema screen?

I also tried using Big Screen to do this, and it didn't work quite as well. But being able to have a friend I made (watching old Doctor Who episodes) sitting beside me, cracking jokes, and looking things up to help me in a complicated dungeon was very neat. We were sitting in a drive through theater while I played DDO, and my new friend then decided to go download the game herself so we could play together... in virtual reality.
    Finding ones past, present, and future in the threads of destiny.

Community Member

Wow that is really cool.

I have been wondering about VR DDO too. We cannot do anything really until the game itself supports it.

Right now the game only show you one image and we simply do not have enough data for 3d. We need a second image and until the game supports it there is not much we can do.

I want VR goggles too. Which quests did you farm them in
    Check out my website for calculating DPS and damage mitigation: http://mmlddo.com

Oh gods, now I want to be able to play DDO (or one of my other MMOs) as a full immersive VR experience too. To be fair, I've wanted to do that since I first watched .Hack//Sign so this is nothing new. Can you imagine how awesome that would be? It's amazing enough just playing DDO on a virtual cinema screen or on the bottom of the ocean in Atlantis.

Community Member

Yeah it would be really creepy. And when you die you get tazed

It sounds so cool already. wanna try it but i am on linux and not sure it is supported.
    Check out my website for calculating DPS and damage mitigation: http://mmlddo.com

Community Member

It's been ages since I played around with this kind of thing. I never did it in DDO, but I muck around with VR in SSG's sister game LOTRO. I used TriDEF (now out of business but the software still exists out there) to handle rendering the game in stereoscopic 3D. And I used reshade to handle the warping for the lenses in VR. There was no head tracking for it (still used mouse & keyboard) but overall it was very impressive feeling. The downside being the interface and the edges of the screen. I'm pretty sure people have done the same in DDO just for giggles and it's probably fun for short periods of time when you just want some wow factor.

Next month I plan to order a full sized bluetooth keyboard that includes a numpad. That way I can play my MMOs even when out of town visiting my dad.

And yeah, Virtual Desktop supports Windows and MacOS but not Linux. There might be other options though. Big Screen also lets you stream your desktop to the Oculus Quest, but that's same network only and has a LOT of input lag. It also only works with Windows 10. If it wasn't for the fact that white backgrounds on websites are a bit painful to look at in VR while also washing out the text, I'd consider getting rid of my desktop monitor and exclusively using VR to use my computer.

Come to think of it, I might do that anyway.

EDIT:
    Yeah, I realize I probably am coming across as a shill for Virtual Desktop. That's just the program I'm using to stream my desktop to my VR headset. And this is a very cool, if surreal way to play the game.
    Last edited by Red_Knight; 05-02-2020 at 07:15 PM.