Community Member

Default Grace of Battle FVS not Working WIth Holy Combatant 2 PAL

Holy combatant 2 says it adds Greatsword as Favored Weapon, with a Higher CHA it is still using STR. To test have higher CHA than STR, equip a greatsword and then add remove a + STR item. The attack and damage mod changes even when the STR is lower than CHA.

Either the HC2 isn't adding the weapon type or GOB isn't working properly. Anyone know how to fix this? Or is broken?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by saw0452 View Post
    Holy combatant 2 says it adds Greatsword as Favored Weapon, with a Higher CHA it is still using STR. To test have higher CHA than STR, equip a greatsword and then add remove a + STR item. The attack and damage mod changes even when the STR is lower than CHA.

Either the HC2 isn't adding the weapon type or GOB isn't working properly. Anyone know how to fix this? Or is broken?
    First check, is your fvs level equal to or higher than 1/2 your total heroic levels rounded up? Ie if you are heroic level 7 and only have 3 fvs levels grace does not work due to not meeting the 1/2 rounded up requirement.

Community Member

OK some more testing. FVS 11 PAL 5, STR MOD +4. CHA MOD +2 (without item). Great Sword frrm the dude in the harbor so it has no bonus to hit. Without CHA item to hit shows +30, equip CHA item so MOD becomes +6 (2 more than STR). To hit in UI doesn't change and stays at +30. Weapon says using to hit mod STR as well.

Broken unfortunately.

Community Member

Is this an old character? Like from before they even implemented Grace of Battle?

If it is, it won't even have Grace of Battle. You can check in your feats.

Default I've experienced this too

I've had this same issue, and reported it as a bug over a week ago, but haven't heard back.

For me it was the Adept of Combat (adding Long swords, War hammers, Morningstars, Battle axes, and Heavy Maces) that didn't work with Grace of Battle.

I did additional testing, and confirmed that a dwarf taking the Dwarven weapon training III: Axe Training was unable to use grace of battle with dwarven axes. The only enhancement I found that was correctly adding favored weapons and allowing grace of battle to work with it was the inquisitor enhancement adding crossbows. You can use the favored weapon attacks with these weapons though, so it is very much only the grace of battle (and I assume Knowledge of battle too) that doesn't work with these favored weapons.

Quite frustrating, as I was pretty sure it was working correctly before update 46, and this bug severely limited my hardcore build.

Note: for each of these tests the character had at least half of the character levels in favored soul, and the charisma was significantly higher than Strength.

Hopefully if enough of us report it they might fix it eventually.
    I am Shoelace: Guardian of Soles, He who brings the Heel down, One who ties up loose ends, He who Shoes away evil, giving them the boot.
    But am I a fleshy? I'm a-frayed knot...

Community Member

Hmm maybe it's not a bug.

"Your faith allows you to use your Charisma bonus for to-hit and damage purposes with your deities' favored weapon if it is higher than your Strength bonus. "

While you can have multiple favoured weapons you only really have 1 deity (not sure if multiclass can pick more these days), and that 1 deity has only 1 favoured weapon. Then again this is DDO who knows what was intended. It does go against the general direction of those deity feats which improve hit and damage for any favoured weapon.

edit: it would be a bit annoying since I had a build planned around that. I can't stand warforged and opening up greatswords without having to play one was a great idea. But if it's intended that really sucks lol.
    Last edited by zooble; 05-04-2020 at 10:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zooble View Post
    Hmm maybe it's not a bug.

"Your faith allows you to use your Charisma bonus for to-hit and damage purposes with your deities' favored weapon if it is higher than your Strength bonus. "

While you can have multiple favoured weapons you only really have 1 deity (not sure if multiclass can pick more these days), and that 1 deity has only 1 favoured weapon. Then again this is DDO who knows what was intended. It does go against the general direction of those deity feats which improve hit and damage from any favoured weapon.
    If that was the case the inquisitor enhancement making crossbows shouldn't work with grace of battle, but it does.

Pretty sure these enhancements adding favored weapons were working correctly prior to U46, but I can't confirm. Either way, I'm confident it is a bug, and I hope for a speedy correction.
    I am Shoelace: Guardian of Soles, He who brings the Heel down, One who ties up loose ends, He who Shoes away evil, giving them the boot.

Quote Originally Posted by saw0452 View Post
    Anyone know how to fix this? Or is broken?
    Consider playing a PDK Paladin for CHA to-hit/dmg until it's fixed. It's amazing.
    Khyber: Kobeyashi | Ying. R10 or bust.

FvS Grace of Battle not working with non-standard Favored Weapons (aka those from Enhancements/Destinies/sources other than your Deity) is a known issue, one we plan on fixing for a future patch.
    We don't only build for the builds that exist.
    We don't only build for the builds that are good right now.

The fact that some changes are necessary is not diminished by the fact that other necessary changes have not happened yet.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steelstar View Post
    FvS Grace of Battle not working with non-standard Favored Weapons (aka those from Enhancements/Destinies/sources other than your Deity) is a known issue, one we plan on fixing for a future patch.
    Thank you for taking the time to confirm the issue. Really appreciate it. Looking forward to the patch in the future. Cheers.

Default Update?

Quote Originally Posted by Steelstar View Post
    I know the devs have been pretty busy with the new Feywild expansion, but I was wondering if there was any update on this bug. It's been several months, and I haven't seen an update on it, nor any mention of it in the patch notes for the past few updates.

To add information about the bug:
    -Dwarven Weapon Training Tier 3 (making Dwarven axes favored weapons) DOES NOT work with Grace/Knowledge of Battle
    -Paladin Enhancements (Adept of Combat & Holy Combatant) DOES NOT work with Grace/Knowledge of Battle

-Faith of the Forest (Wood Elf) DOES work with Grace/Knowledge of Battle
    -Divine Inquisition (Inquisitive) DOES work with Grace/Knowledge of Battle

Each of the enhancements that add different weapons to your list of "Favored Weapons" allow you to use the Favored Weapon Attacks (Silence the Wicked, Radiant Flourish, etc.) so the weapons are correctly classified as favored, but for some reason the Grace/Knowledge of Battle feats are not recognizing them as such.

I've reset my enhancement trees, and swapped gear to verify the feats aren't working (I can include screenshots if needed).

Quote Originally Posted by Paxsmickey View Post
    I know the devs have been pretty busy with the new Feywild expansion, but I was wondering if there was any update on this bug.
    FvS Grace of Battle not working with non-standard Favored Weapons (aka those from Enhancements/Destinies/sources other than your Deity) is a known issue, one we plan on fixing for a future (post-Feywild) patch.
    Last edited by Steelstar; 10-27-2020 at 03:02 PM. Reason: it really is on my list, but I can't do it while trying to finish the xpack.
    We don't only build for the builds that exist.
    We don't only build for the builds that are good right now.

The fact that some changes are necessary is not diminished by the fact that other necessary changes have not happened yet.