Default Quick Inquisitive Questions

Hey. So, I signed in to grab the free experience potions, just in case, and may have accidentally put a level on three characters. I may have also accidentally visited the Anniversary Party a few times.

Anyway, having gone on walkabout through the multiverse for a year and a half I now find myself sitting on my airship. If I stay here, and I may not, I need to stop goofing around and finally make one really strong character. Therefore, it is time to embrace ranged.

My questions:

Inquisitive came out after I left and was recently pulled back. Are they still stupidly strong?

Does Inquisitive combine well with Rogue Mechanic?

What crossbows will I need from 1 to 30. This cat burglar does her own thing so no raid stuff, please.

Most classes disinterest me. Is it possible to combine Inquisitive with any class in order to complete easy and quick class go rounds? For example, could I make a Druid Inquisitive and basically ignore the Druid part?

Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by Annex; 04-28-2020 at 02:44 AM.
    Sophie the Cat Burglar - Creator, Dreamer, Explorer - Happy yet Sad - Seeker of Beauty and Wonder
    I wish you all many happy adventures!

Community Member

Those are some good accidents you have

I am by no means a pro player but have played inquisitive and repeater builds before that.

1) No they are not stupidly strong anymore. They nerfed IPS so it gets a 20% damage penalty so your "AOE" damage is not so good anymore. They also nerfed doubleshot so inq only gets 50% now.

2) I never played a mechanic inq but the bonuses to nonrepeating crossbows in mechanic tree got nerfed so the extra bonuses no longer apply to dual shooter.

3) Up to level 9? i just use a cc crossbow with a ghost augment in it. Don't make a keen its bugged. Usually good with some ekstra damage. Then the ratcatcher. Not sure about epics. EDIT: I forgot about nightshade shooter from sharn. It's good and comes in a legendary version too if you don't have access to the raid crossbow.

4) given the nerfs to inquisitive i would not recommend a druid shooter. if making a druid consider a caster instead. You need some classes that helps with damage. Artificer gets runearms, ranger 6 gets sniper shot, paladins gets exalted smite which should work with inq now. Wizard zombie form gets 20% extra damage and spellswords. Fighter gets you more damage and ranged power. I currently have a lvl 17 artificer 2 wizard 15 and cast spells for groups and use crossbow for single enemies. not the best but its ok. I dont like the zombie form so not using that.

5) I wanna try a ranger 6 artificer 2 paladin 12. I think this split is good with smites and sniper shot, divine sacrifice and paladin cleaves which according to description should work for ranged now.

This were just my thoughts on the topic. Let me know if you need me to elaborate.
    Check out my website for calculating DPS and damage mitigation: http://mmlddo.com

Thanks, Ultinoob. I guess I missed the boat.
    Sophie the Cat Burglar - Creator, Dreamer, Explorer - Happy yet Sad - Seeker of Beauty and Wonder

Inquis and rog mech takes a lot of testing, only certain things work together. The thing that will make you go insane if decided which line to take to R5 they are both so good. Gxb and dual shooters both very powerful don't think they aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by Annex View Post
    Hey. So, I signed in to grab the free experience potions, just in case, and may have accidentally put a level on three characters. I may have also accidentally visited the Anniversary Party a few times.

Anyway, having gone on walkabout through the multiverse for a year and a half I now find myself sitting on my airship. If I stay here, and I may not, I need to stop goofing around and finally make one really strong character. Therefore, it is time to embrace ranged.

My questions:

Inquisitive came out after I left and was recently pulled back. Are they still stupidly strong?

Does Inquisitive combine well with Rogue Mechanic?

What crossbows will I need from 1 to 30. This cat burglar does her own thing so no raid stuff, please.

Most classes disinterest me. Is it possible to combine Inquisitive with any class in order to complete easy and quick class go rounds? For example, could I make a Druid Inquisitive and basically ignore the Druid part?

Thank you in advance.
    Let me preface my comments by saying that I've only played Inquisitive at endgame (respecced a character), so I don't know much about leveling an Inquisitive.

Q1. Considering the very minimal investment, they are still stupidly strong. It also helps that it goes well with so many classes and play styles. Is it as redonkulus as before? No. Is it still pretty foolproof mid-to-top tier DPS? Yes. You absolutely did not "miss the boat". The boat used to have cocaine, blackjack, and hookers. Now it just has cocaine and hookers.

Q2. OMG, yes. Absolutely. One of the best synergies available. If you can keep your sneak attack uptime going, it's pretty sick. I had a pure Rogue repeater build (1st life) parked at level 30. A few months ago I swapped him over to Inquisitive and his DPS feels like it nearly doubled. He's probably my 2nd most powerful character now (and I have 5 or 6 at cap). I've twice been asked if he really is a 1st lifer, and had to say "Yes, it's just the build and gear." If I had it to do over again, I might consider 18 rog/2 arti.

Q3. I can't really answer that question, since I didn't level him as an Inquisitive. Everyone talks about Ratcatcher (even post nerf), but I suspect that between Barovian at 10, some random pulls, and Morninglord's at 29, it won't matter a ton if you don't have a stack of Xbows lying around.

Q4. Yes. Inquisitive goes with pretty much anything. Obviously it's better paired with certain things (rogue, ranger, artificer) but plenty of people are dancing through past lives with inquisitive builds for clerics, druids, wizards, warlocks etc. If you're really disinterested, you probably could go Ranger 6, Arti 4, Main Class 10 for nearly any class and practically ignore the Main Class and just pew pew pew your way to victory.

Have fun out there!
    Last edited by kamimitsu; 04-28-2020 at 11:59 PM.
    Shiz -Proud Officer of the Southern Tenant Farmers Union - Ghallanda
    Shizmonkey, Shizrhino, Shizchopper and other various Shizanimals and Shizappliances
    R.O.G.U.E. Proving Grounds Redux is now defunct. Check out Part Quatre

Community Member

q3) At 1, the borderland xbows are alright. At level 2, the new guidance is nice; it has ghostbane on it now. At level 6, Swift Demise (grab one off the AH if there's one listed) is pretty good. Rat Catcher at 8 if you're willing to do Threnal, otherwise just stick the swift demise, stuff will still die well enough. At 10, the ravenloft x-bow for DR breaking. At 15, the Nightshade shooter from Sharn is awesome. At 20, go grab the 2 xbows from borderlands trader; one has DR breaking for Adamantine, the other silver/good. Epic Guidance at 23 is slightly better than the 20 borderlands stuff. Then it's all about epic nightshade shooter/ravenloot stuff at 29.

Quote Originally Posted by Enkidu View Post
    Inquis and rog mech takes a lot of testing, only certain things work together. The thing that will make you go insane if decided which line to take to R5 they are both so good. Gxb and dual shooters both very powerful don't think they aren't.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by kamimitsu View Post
    Q1. Considering the very minimal investment, they are still stupidly strong. It also helps that it goes well with so many classes and play styles. Is it as redonkulus as before? No. Is it still pretty foolproof mid-to-top tier DPS? Yes. You absolutely did not "miss the boat". The boat used to have cocaine, blackjack, and hookers. Now it just has cocaine and hookers.
    *laughs* Thank you. I am hoping for fast and easy leveling from 1 to 20 so this all seems very encouraging.

Quote Originally Posted by rabidfox View Post
    q3) At 1, the borderland xbows are alright. At level 2, the new guidance is nice; it has ghostbane on it now. At level 6, Swift Demise (grab one off the AH if there's one listed) is pretty good. Rat Catcher at 8 if you're willing to do Threnal, otherwise just stick the swift demise, stuff will still die well enough. At 10, the ravenloft x-bow for DR breaking. At 15, the Nightshade shooter from Sharn is awesome. At 20, go grab the 2 xbows from borderlands trader; one has DR breaking for Adamantine, the other silver/good. Epic Guidance at 23 is slightly better than the 20 borderlands stuff. Then it's all about epic nightshade shooter/ravenloot stuff at 29.
    Thank you, rabidfox. I wrote down all your recommendations and will maybe probably accidentally collect all of them over the next week or so.

I may be adventuring in Eberron again. Don't tell Vexa I am looking at crossbows.

welcome back! What a joy!

Don’t bother making an uber character. Just have goofy fun and write us about it.
    Wiki dashboard with some useful stealthplay links
    Proud Knight Templar of the Silver Legion, Cannith: Saekee (main; epic completionist); Parked Toons: Katwoemyn (10), Saelegion (4), Alitirala (>17), Naerfelka (>21)
    wounded and burnt from many mistakes and still stumbling!

I usually run some variation of 9 arti/2 rog and nine of other stuff knocking out those 1-20 class TR lives. For the racials my new drug of choice is a pure fire or acid sorc. I can play naked and still breeze through R1, you gotta try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Saekee View Post
    welcome back! What a joy!

Don’t bother making an uber character. Just have goofy fun and write us about it.
    Hello, Saekee San! Thank you!

I am tired of slogging through stuff on low difficulty with full scaling using melee and making glacially slow progress. After three days doing that I already want to quit again. Something needs to change. If my avatar could maintain both a dagger configuration and a ranged configuration I would, but this game lacks that flexibility. One character will remain in dagger configuration but my avatar must drastically speed up.

Are there any fun new things to get? I already collected 4 horses, 4 crossbows, and some caster stuff out of the Borderlands. The Shield Guardian from Sharn looks funny but $70 US is steep for one hire.

Quote Originally Posted by Enkidu View Post
    I usually run some variation of 9 arti/2 rog and nine of other stuff knocking out those 1-20 class TR lives. For the racials my new drug of choice is a pure fire or acid sorc. I can play naked and still breeze through R1, you gotta try it.
    Hey, Enkidu. Thank you for the comment. I will give the 9/2/9 thing a try. With regards the Sorcerers, I have a pair of Wizards but never got the hang of them. Is Sorcerer really that much better? Do you take them into Epic levels? Are the Borderlands caster sticks a good choice to make Sentient?

Quote Originally Posted by kamimitsu View Post
    Let me preface my comments by saying that I've only played Inquisitive at endgame (respecced a character), so I don't know much about leveling an Inquisitive.

Q2. OMG, yes. Absolutely. One of the best synergies available. If you can keep your sneak attack uptime going, it's pretty sick. I had a pure Rogue repeater build (1st life) parked at level 30. A few months ago I swapped him over to Inquisitive and his DPS feels like it nearly doubled. He's probably my 2nd most powerful character now (and I have 5 or 6 at cap). I've twice been asked if he really is a 1st lifer, and had to say "Yes, it's just the build and gear." If I had it to do over again, I might consider 18 rog/2 arti.

Q3. I can't really answer that question, since I didn't level him as an Inquisitive. Everyone talks about Ratcatcher (even post nerf), but I suspect that between Barovian at 10, some random pulls, and Morninglord's at 29, it won't matter a ton if you don't have a stack of Xbows lying around.

Q4. Yes. Inquisitive goes with pretty much anything. Obviously it's better paired with certain things (rogue, ranger, artificer) but plenty of people are dancing through past lives with inquisitive builds for clerics, druids, wizards, warlocks etc. If you're really disinterested, you probably could go Ranger 6, Arti 4, Main Class 10 for nearly any class and practically ignore the Main Class and just pew pew pew your way to victory.

Have fun out there!
    Pity cant do inquisitive monk

Quote Originally Posted by Annex View Post
    Hey, Enkidu. Thank you for the comment. I will give the 9/2/9 thing a try. With regards the Sorcerers, I have a pair of Wizards but never got the hang of them. Is Sorcerer really that much better? Do you take them into Epic levels? Are the Borderlands caster sticks a good choice to make Sentient?
    Sorcs have been unleashed for awhile now, damage output very easy to spike. fro 1 - 20 fire or acid work great, in epics respec into ice to make glacial wrath insanely powerful. You can get much better weapons in Ravenloft to make sentient. You get a free one every epic life with a sentient gem, so go get them.

Inquisitive is still really strong.

I just finished a bunch of past iconic lives (post Inquisitive nerf). I did Druid, Cleric, FVS, Bard past lives mixing in 6 ranger for each, using the level 15 sharn light xbow. I'd hang back killing stuff pretty effectively and healing and buffing people.
    The Nak Abides - Argo - Ascent
    Ganak Goblinjuicer ~ Xanak the Irregular