Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Update 46 Preview 2: Lost Gatekeepers Adventure Pack

Update 46 is expected to contain a new adventure pack named "The Lost Gatekeepers". All five of the below quests are available for preview. Talk to the Questgiver NPC in Test Dojo and he’ll send you to the quest arc giver in the Gatekeeper's Grove. If you are not a VIP you can find the "The Lost Gatekeepers" adventure pack in the DDO store and can gain DDO points from Lord Poincelot to purchase the adventure pack.

The Lost Gatekeepers
    • The Home of Memory 3/32
    • Heart of the Problem 3/32
    • Rosemary's Ballad 3/32
    • The Sacred Bounty 3/32
    • Housekeeping 3/32 (NOTE: While the questgiver is in the Gatekeeper's Grove, like the rest of the questgivers, the Quest Entrance is in the harbor, not the Cerulean Hills like the rest of the adventure pack.)

Bugs fixed since preview 1
    • Various typos in Housekeeping and Rosemary's Ballad have been corrected.
    • Fixed an issue in The Home of Memory that allowed completion of the quest without killing the boss.
    • Various monster pathing bugs related to the backyard in Rosemary's Ballad have been resolved.
    • Raven enemies now correctly animate.
    • DM voiceover and music has been added to all dungeons.
    • Fixed an issue in Heart of the Problem preventing Mephits from noticing players.

Known Issues
    • Monsters in Legendary do not have the appropriate stat boost to bring them up to the post Sharn power tier.
    Tell me about any and all bugs you encounter by clicking here!

NOTE: Submitting a bug in this manner is not a quick fix for past occurrences; it is instead a means of bringing issues to our attention to prevent future occurrences for both you and others. Providing detailed information, especially specifics about your account and character as well as what steps you took leading up to the issue, are critical to us being able to pinpoint the cause of any problems you have encountered.

Did another run through on the quests.

Rosemary's Ballad
    The left-hand Simon puzzle does not make any sound when played.
    Sage Hargrove and his companion monsters can't fit through the small dividing door in their room, meaning you can stand outside the room and blast them down without any risk.
    If you get on the ledge above where the end chest spawns, Rosemary can't reach you effectively

Heart of the Problem
    You can get on top of the hanging banners against the back wall in the end fight and blast the boss from safety.
    The Flying Ravens will resume moving and flapping when they've been turned to gold.

The Sacred Bounty
    Foxpaw's text in the vision at r1 lx1264 ly32 i2049 cInside ox-72.65 oy-74.10 oz-317.45 h171.6 plays too fast for you to read.
    The Vine Horror boss seems to have trouble getting over the lip of its pool and is trivial to defeat as a result.
    I like the secondary puzzle with the levers in the rooms. It's clever and you have to really pay attention to do it.

Housekeeping
    the glitterdust spam still makes the end fight really uninteresting

Played through again, much better, just a couple issues:

Housekeeping
    1) Still think the dice puzzle is too difficult, nice that they added tiles to tell you what the numbers should be, but the puzzle style is hard enough when it is in a 3x3 grid, but now circular. Someone will have to figure it out for everyone.
    2) There is an objective with the text not in yet, it shows <string table error; tableDID [0x25000010] token [0x02728c54]>

Quote Originally Posted by Greantun View Post
    Played through again, much better, just a couple issues:

Housekeeping
    1) Still think the dice puzzle is too difficult, nice that they added tiles to tell you what the numbers should be, but the puzzle style is hard enough when it is in a 3x3 grid, but now circular. Someone will have to figure it out for everyone.
    Already done, I figured it out the first time I played. It's REALLY easy because you don't even have to be careful not to screw it up. Basically you suck all the numbers into the circle and then shove them around the circle until it looks like this, then you can solve it:

Here's a video of me solving it on my DDOStream show:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/586766036

I'll come back with more details later tonight but I wanted to get some thoughts out before I forget them.

I noticed a typo in a quest dialogue:

Should be "you to trace"

In the first quest Home of Memory it would be really nice if you guys could fit a dialogue or quest option to heal or help the first orc with his broken leg. I really, really wanted a Healer's Kit to actually be useful in a quest or the heal skill would be nice in a low level situation. Since its so early in the quest maybe not for XP or maybe it could get the xp on completion treatment. But with or without xp, its just something I wanted the option to do. This one was really short IMHO it was okay but nothing terribly exciting or interesting.

I enjoyed Rosemary's Ballad a lot, although the resulting story is dissatisfying but not everything can have a happy ending.

I also liked Heart of the Problem, although it felt like it needed some more side tunnels.

The Sacred Bounty felt unfinished. I mean I completed it but there were some pieces I couldn't figure out what I was supposed to do with them. The color wheels for instance were all locked so couldn't be moved or picked so I have no idea what their purpose was to the quest. I got into the shrine and hit the lever inside as well as the lever inside the side room you get into by rotating the mirror but never could figure out what hitting those levers accomplished. I also fought the stalker and that opened something according to the dm text but I'm not sure what... Maybe the way to the lower temple? I went down the stone stairs and right there at the beginning of the stone stairs was a locked secret stone wall/door again that I could not pick and found no way of opening. I just felt like there weren't enough instructions or clues.

Also saw a grammatical error.

Maybe this is being picky but ending a sentence in a proposition is a no-no. Perhaps the sentence should read "Better still, she thinks she knows why the initiates were sent to take those objects."

Also and I could be wrong about this one but I think it should be "whomever" not "whoever" because whomever is an object pronoun and works like the pronouns him, her, and them.

I was going to run the last quest but I've got a headache so good luck and best of loot to you guys. Maybe I'll get to run the last one tomorrow.
    Last edited by Aelonwy; 04-08-2020 at 10:29 PM.
    Blood Scented Axe Body Spray (Thelanis)
    Aelonwy - Wydavir - Metaluscious - Aertimys - Aelyrra - Kaelaria - Lunaura - Aelurawynn - Saurscha - Crystalorn - Aurvaeyn - Vaelyns - Wyllowynd

I think it'd be really cool if Thiel turned into a bear and Lily turned into a wolf for the final battle (if they're present)

Also it seems weird that Thiel would diss the orcs for being primitive since, you know, he's a DRUID

And you should add some NPC animals to the Gatekeepers' grove
    Last edited by PsychoBlonde; 04-08-2020 at 06:40 PM.

Community Member

Hi PyschoBlonde,

Can you explain in really simple terms how these dice puzzles actually work (or a link would be fine)? Why/how do the numbers of the dice change? Is it related to how high you jump or what numbers are adjacent?

The ones in Sharn I have literally no idea how they work at all and when I watch your video I am completely confused at the methodology to solve.

Thanks!

Default Couple of issues in this quest

[QUOTE=Cocomajobo;6312464]Update 46 is expected to contain a new adventure pack named "The Lost Gatekeepers". All five of the below quests are available for preview. Talk to the Questgiver NPC in Test Dojo and he’ll send you to the quest arc giver in the Gatekeeper's Grove. If you are not a VIP you can find the "The Lost Gatekeepers" adventure pack in the DDO store and can gain DDO points from Lord Poincelot to purchase the adventure pack.

The Lost Gatekeepers
    • The Home of Memory 3/32
    • Heart of the Problem 3/32
    • Rosemary's Ballad 3/32
    • The Sacred Bounty 3/32
    • Housekeeping 3/32 (NOTE: While the questgiver is in the Gatekeeper's Grove, like the rest of the questgivers, the Quest Entrance is in the harbor, not the Cerulean Hills like the rest of the adventure pack.)

Bugs fixed since preview 1

This mission "Rosemary's Ballad" was okay til I got to that door where the ruin Simon says game is. Like in Keep on the Borderlands. The audio for the one on the left doesn't play. The right one does. Also, the narration audio at the end seems to replay and continues after leaving. That's the only thing I noticed.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d888pW-Zl6Q

Quote Originally Posted by korgzz_bloodaxe View Post
    Hi PyschoBlonde,

Can you explain in really simple terms how these dice puzzles actually work (or a link would be fine)? Why/how do the numbers of the dice change? Is it related to how high you jump or what numbers are adjacent?

The ones in Sharn I have literally no idea how they work at all and when I watch your video I am completely confused at the methodology to solve.

Thanks!
    When you step on a platform it pulls a dot from all directly adjacent platforms that have dots, up to a maximum of 4 dots on the one you stepped on. So if you had one that looks like this:

1 - 1 1

and you step on the -, you'll wind up with this

- 2 - 1

as it pulls the dots from the two adjacent platforms.

Likewise, if you had one like this

2 3 1 1

and you stepped on the 3, it would then look like this:

1 4 1 1

because it can't increase above 4.

The way you solve the puzzle is by distributing the dots so that all the platforms are equal to the number shown nearby.
    Last edited by PsychoBlonde; 04-08-2020 at 09:03 PM.

Default Rosemary's Ballard

When playing thru this quest, I had to twice exit out of it before it was completed because I did the quest steps out of order. First time I went straight to the garden and defeated everything in there, but it still left me with "follow the mysterious voice", so when I went to the right side where the other two "voices" activate it still didn't complete the "follow the mysterious voice" part of the quest thus not allowing me to finish. The second time I forgot to talk to Blair until after I had found the garden and I wasn't able to complete the "find the path to the garden". I kinda doubt that this is a WAI but would like to know if anyone else had this same issue
    When I am good I am very good and when I am bad I am better

Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar

I just did the first of the chain with a cleric in heavy armor and a quarterstaff - at level 2. I can say that it is definitively doable with level 2. However, if the armor didn't have fire guard, it would have been more difficult. But then, the quest is aimed at level 3, not at level 2 ... The stonies are still a nice challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Craigrx View Post
    I had to twice exit out of it before it was completed because I did the quest steps out of order.
    This can be a big problem for storytelling : Expecting the player to do things in a certain way ... like ... "most people turn to the right when they enter a room" or something ...
    "No, it doesn't say 'Lifeling' "

The whole series was run on Heroic Elite.

Okay I ran the last quest Housekeeping this morning.

The House in the harbor is cute. Very striking. But devs... really? Isn't the Harbor cluttered enough? I think this would have been better placed somewhere in the Cerulean Hills. A good location would have been somewhere between the Orc's Prison at the waterfall and the Scorpion Lair or... or right there on the hill by the shrine at the front gate. Either would have been a better place than the harbor.

Just as an aside... I absolutely love, love, love that you have placed new quests in this wilderness zone that further fill in the story and culture of the area. Kudos!

Quest itself:

Awesome cottage interior! I so want to click on each of those doors. I counted 10 including the one we came through from the harbor. The swirly, starry sky through the gate makes me think of Planescape. Who's drooling? I'm not drooling. Your drooling.

Lily's story still makes me sad. I don't know what the upside down evil temple is supposed to represent. Damnation? Hers is the most straight forward. The halforc's story was *shrug* simple? I liked the complimentary duel. The inner struggle of the warforged was so visually appropriate. Nice.

Finally, the drow. Woo that was a lot of puzzles. Makes sense for his mind but if I were new to the game encountering all this for the first time in one quest... I don't think I'd enjoy myself. I would feel forced to look for external explanations of what to do. Why do the bookshelves not have clues? Directions? I mean they're bookshelves... I expected something useful from them and I know how to do the puzzles. *head scratcher*

Couple of problems I encountered while in the drow's mind: One, I did the quest with my son and we split up the puzzles. I did the circle lights while he did simon says then I did the tile puzzle while he worked on the dice circle. I finished the tile puzzle before he finished the dice but as soon as I finished his became gray, locked down and insolvable. Two, there was also zero clue that we needed to jump down from the puzzle layer to a layer beneath it to finish. If he hadn't fallen down there while jumping around the shelves I'm not sure what we would have done.

Ripping the soul bag open... NICE!

Loved all the hag dialogue as we solved each initiate's soul-crushing issue. Whose ear was being snacked on?

Hag fight: TOO MUCH GLITTERDUST! Sheesh. My whole screen was yellow-white for awhile and lucky I am that I tab target. I would NOT want to encounter that as a new player. I also backed out of the dust a couple times only to have it cast at my new location. This felt tougher than a level 3(5 on elite) quest normally is for a number of reasons. More enemies than usual per encounter, some enemies tougher than usual for this level, end fight a little over tuned. If this were a base level 4 or 5 quest the amount of enemies and toughness and roughness of the spell heavy endfight would make more sense. I mean Proof Against the Poison is base 4 and without prep its just as rough. I feel this is more akin to the difficulty of Party Crashers (base level 5) with less options to avoid or mitigate combat encounters.

There were two end chests but one was locked and couldn't be picked. No idea what opened that one.

On the whole I thoroughly enjoyed the quest series. The aesthetics were top-notch, the story-telling was very good, characterization excellent. Definitely both Sacred Bounty and Housekeeping (Foxpaw section) could use some instructions/clues and polish. Still feel dissatisfied with Lily's story. That was very dark, like dark on a similar level with Death House or Fresh Baked Dreams.

Flaws aside I can't wait to buy this adventure pack. Good stuff.

Please, please, please think about filling out the story in other areas. Searing Heights could do with some more back story, as well as some other zones that aren't free to play.
    Aelonwy - Wydavir - Metaluscious - Aertimys - Aelyrra - Kaelaria - Lunaura - Aelurawynn - Saurscha - Crystalorn - Aurvaeyn - Vaelyns - Wyllowynd

Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aelonwy View Post
    The House in the harbor is cute. Very striking. But devs... really? Isn't the Harbor cluttered enough?
    I fear that I must agree. There's that depression close to the Harbour Banker, why didn't it fill up that space ?

(Apart from the fact that I still always think that this depression could be the entrance to a hole or a dungeon ...)

The area around the Harbour auctioneer could have been used as well ...

Or the original Lighthouse ...

But I must admit that The Cerulean Hills do have a lot of space, yes ... The building would be most striking on the way to Nash Braza.
    "No, it doesn't say 'Lifeling' "

Default I Broke Your Quest

"Rosemary's Ballad"

In the garden part. If you jump the wall you are supposed to use the scythe on without doing so you bug the quest. You can still do the end fight and loot the chest. You can even go back and take down the wall but the "Follow the mysterious voice" part can not be done when it shows up after breaking the wall down (after the fact) making the quest unable to complete for XP or quest completion.

Consider making the barrier unjumpable or having the "Follow the Mysterious Voice" not being triggered by breaking the plant wall and instead be present from the start or triggered by proximity or something else.

"Sacred Bounty"

Found the secret door at the top of the staircase. Could not open it. Not sure if it's broken or I missed something.
    Last edited by Scuddy; 04-09-2020 at 02:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scuddy View Post
    Found the secret door at the top of the staircase. Could not open it. Not sure if it's broken or I missed something.
    There's a secondary puzzle involving unobtrusive levers in the side rooms that open that secret door.

The House in the harbor is cute. Very striking. But devs... really? Isn't the Harbor cluttered enough?
    I definitely agree with this, but I'm not sure where else they could put it given they elected to base everything out of the Cerulean Hills. They could put it IN the Gatekeeper Grove, of course, or also in the Cerulean Hills. But I agree that the Harbor is EXTREMELY cluttered.

Quote Originally Posted by Scuddy View Post
    "Rosemary's Ballad"

In the garden part. If you jump the wall you are supposed to use the scythe on without doing so you bug the quest.
    You can also do the "use" command via the focus orb on the bamboo walls to get rid of them. I tried this after I found the scythe and did the other stuff and it did not bug, but I'm not sure what would happen if you just ran directly there and started using the walls without doing any other part of the quest.

Also, picking up the scythe makes it feel like you're supposed to EQUIP the scythe to beat down the walls, not do a dialog interaction or "use" them.

The Sacred Bounty felt unfinished. I mean I completed it but there were some pieces I couldn't figure out what I was supposed to do with them. The color wheels for instance were all locked so couldn't be moved or picked so I have no idea what their purpose was to the quest. I got into the shrine and hit the lever inside as well as the lever inside the side room you get into by rotating the mirror but never could figure out what hitting those levers accomplished. I also fought the stalker and that opened something according to the dm text but I'm not sure what... Maybe the way to the lower temple? I went down the stone stairs and right there at the beginning of the stone stairs was a locked secret stone wall/door again that I could not pick and found no way of opening. I just felt like there weren't enough instructions or clues.
    There are three unobtrusive levers that together open that secret door, it's a secondary "hidden" puzzle to get an extra chest so it seems deliberate that there are no real instructions on what to do there. I figured it out and it was quite clever. I'd hate to see it made TOO obvious, since it's just a bonus chest, it's not a required part of the quest.

The rest of it is that Foxpaw *already solved the puzzles*. That's why you don't have to do anything with the puzzle wheels, etc, you're following Foxpaw and he ALREADY solved them!

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoBlonde View Post
    There are three unobtrusive levers that together open that secret door, it's a secondary "hidden" puzzle to get an extra chest so it seems deliberate that there are no real instructions on what to do there. I figured it out and it was quite clever. I'd hate to see it made TOO obvious, since it's just a bonus chest, it's not a required part of the quest.

The rest of it is that Foxpaw *already solved the puzzles*. That's why you don't have to do anything with the puzzle wheels, etc, you're following Foxpaw and he ALREADY solved them!
    Well then I found two of the three levers and was left wondering because there was nothing indicating that those levers were attached to that door nor that I was missing a lever somewhere else.

Well then I found two of the three levers and was left wondering because there was nothing indicating that those levers were attached to that door nor that I was missing a lever somewhere else.
    IIRC there's an optional that procs "find out where the levers lead" that at least indicates that there's something going on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast