Community Member

Default Crypt of Gerard Dryden evocation DC

I ran this on r1 today on my level 4 sorcerer. I found it nigh impossible to kill the 'Ravenous Ghast' at the end of the quest because of his evasion and, in my opinion, overly high reflex save. In the end, I had to use sonic blasts and my hireling to beat him down. I understand as a 'Boss' encounter he should be difficult, however, I think the ability for me to land at least one of my evocation spells (Burning hands/Acid Spray/Scorch) should be allowed.

Bearing in mind I had an evocation DC of 27 and 26 on my scorch/burning hands respectively. With a Nicked Orb and a 4+ Charisma potion and a wizard past life feat, there is not much else I could do to raise my DC, bar my final Sorcerer life and a 2nd racial life in two of Tiefling/Half-Elf/Dragonborn. Having said that, I think to go to such extremes for such a low-level quest a tad ludicrous.

Interested to hear other people's thoughts and whether or not this is but frivolous whining of a lowly 6th lifer.

2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by cloudyspam View Post
    I found it nigh impossible to kill the 'Ravenous Ghast' at the end of the quest because of his evasion and, in my opinion, overly high reflex save.
    I don't have an opinion on his saves, but try something like Scorching Ray, or Melf's Acid Arrow, or the 1st-level Bolt spells (Shocking Bolt, etc.). If a spell doesn't have a save, his saves don't matter.

Beyond just this encounter, it's good to have spells that have damage types, spells that attack different saves, and, as mentioned no-save spells. It's fine to have a specialty for most situations, but if you're all-Fire, or all Reflex-for-half, or all-whatever, you set your self up for situations where you can't really do well. A few broader options will pay off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    As a general rule we don't intend for a single spawn area to cause any dungeon alert, and certainly not red dungeon alert. This basically isn't ever a goal in our designs