Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by LavidDynch View Post
    Keep hope alive. 1 hour ago I lagged solo in a level 5 quest for 5 min straight -- turned the client off.. never happened before, not even during horrible events that used to cause lag in the past.... like ever.
    Oh it's going to take them one to four weeks to do this. This has been a problem for a long time, and it's always been kicked down the road as it only effected a small portion of the population, mainly the raiders. Now that it's spread to include everyone even soloers, they have no choice but to fix it otherwise they won't have a product left to sell.
    Illustration of a Gnome Inquisitive!

Community Member

In PN on Orien right now and it's a wipe fest, everytime we try to recover the server casts Mass Hold Player on us and the boss's just kill us while we're frozen.

(Standard): You are on server 16 at r1 lx1592 ly48 i172 cInside ox27.27 oy21.36 oz-178.79 h112.5.
    Game timestamp 330601124.477.
    (Standard): Q:0x7003148B

Angry un playable

on Orien server 4th time today this has happened. You are on server 54 at r2 lx511 ly838 i281 ox140.83 oy131.90 oz127.66 h229.2. Game timestamp 330609003.355. lagged out, this is not good for your players who pay for this game and have for 14 years. Try turning off all events and hardcore and see if lag improves. Making game free for all is great but with this lag no one will want to stay and you will lose your players who have been faithful for numerous years and have paid your salaries for so long. This is bad business, I get the internet is under heavy strain right now but this is just stupid. Try my suggestion for a day and see what happens, can't hurt
    On Orien: Spanken Leader of Epic Fail
    Alts: Badbigboom, donations, hurttin, Atkron and many variations of spanken too many to list.

Quote Originally Posted by Cocomajobo View Post
    [*]Internally, we are preparing a possible second patch meant to reduce increased performance issues in our physics engine that we have traced to a recent update. We considered deploying this to live immediately, before the weekend, but determined that the risk associated with such a change was to high too do without ample caution. As a result, this change will first be featured on Lamannia during the second preview of Update 46 starting this coming Tuesday. If this preview goes well and no unforeseen issues are encountered we will then attempt to get this change out to the live servers as soon as possible. This is not a guarantee that this will in any way be a silver bullet to the "lag" but it is our current best avenue discovered for dealing with the issue.
    There's no point in waiting to deploy the patch when the game is unplayable. It's not like the patch could make it any worse:
    1. Can't login.
    2. If you can login, get stuck on loading screen.
    3. If you don't get stuck on loading screen, experience soul crushing lag in public areas and quests.
    Khyber: Kobeyashi | Ying. R10 or bust.

Imma blame the horses.

Lotro has horses. Been laggy as <expletive> for a while now.

We get horses. We become laggy as <expletive> now, too.

Science.
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies

Community Member

We understand that performance issues in game have been widespread for the past couple of weeks. Here are the steps we have already taken to address this followed by the steps that we are in the process of taking:

• Changes were made on Tuesday March 31st that resolved some inefficiencies in various features throughout the game client that have reduced, but in no way eliminated, both client side and server side performance issues and crashes.
    • Since that deployment we have continued monitoring and investigating.
    • On Thursday April 2nd we identified a specific virtual machine cluster that makes up Ghallanda that was in distress and migrated Ghallanda off of that onto a healthier environment. This appears to have stabilized the worst of the "lag" being experienced but in nor way do we believe it has eliminated the issue.
    • Internally, we are preparing a possible second patch meant to reduce increased performance issues in our physics engine that we have traced to a recent update. We considered deploying this to live immediately, before the weekend, but determined that the risk associated with such a change was to high too do without ample caution. As a result, this change will first be featured on Lamannia during the second preview of Update 46 starting this coming Tuesday. If this preview goes well and no unforeseen issues are encountered we will then attempt to get this change out to the live servers as soon as possible. This is not a guarantee that this will in any way be a silver bullet to the "lag" but it is our current best avenue discovered for dealing with the issue.

If something occurs that prevents the second patch I will let you all know. Additionally, if players are still experiencing more disruptive than usual performance issue in the DDO client after this potential second patch is released we will continue monitoring and investigating possible avenues of alleviating it. This is the DDO teams highest priority right now as we want people to be able to relax in our game world during this time of global crisis. Understand that we have actively moved all relevant resources available onto resolving this.

And what about the compensation for the 2-3 weeks of not being able to complete quests with friends? Losing tons of time, dying countless... We all appreciate what you've told us but unfortunately you knew very well that there is an issue like that. This kind of lag, exactly that kind of lag (while spawning a large group of mobs or generating chest loot and persisting until the last member who has aggro dies) has been on for over A YEAR! in Thunderholme wildenress area. It has been like that all the time there and yet you're team has not resolved it for over a year. Now all the instances, even guild ships have this problem. Really? Get a grip, invest in a good hardware so you have a reliable foundation for the game up to the 2020 standards and fix the software that also has been wonky with every update.

I will not purchase a single darn shard until you guys fix this.

Cheers.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by BDog77 View Post
    And some people wonder why I am completely opposed to the "Megaserver nao!!11!!!1!!1" group. Lol.
    For real, how can we expect a good mega server experience when the current small servers can not provide a stable play environment. been this way for long before covid was an issue too

The bigger issue I see is not even that hardcore players are losing toons that have had hours of time sunk into them, it is the real dollars spent on things like gold seal hirelings, xp pots, or whatever DDO Points spent on buffs. Are we getting any compensation for that? I can tell you I have lagged out anywhere from 2-3 minutes in just about every quest I have run over the last couple of weeks. More often than not, it is multiple times per quest. Since I am home all day like a lot of us, I am running like 20 quests or more a day. I am sure people are well over that number. So, if you figure 2 minute spike (a good average) x 20 quests x 2 lag spikes per quest, we are looking at 80 minutes of wasted time per day. If you are on an xp pot, that adds up quick since there is no way to pause them. I think I am on the low side in terms of my numbers. I am not even including the multiple "rubber banding" effects that happen constantly; which also adds up over time.

This is a big issue for me as I know some folks are spending money at a time when money can be tight. If folks are out of work or working at reduced pay. It bothers me when stuff like this is happening. Some look at this and think it is just another complaint, but I really take these types of things to heart as a free to play model that encourages us to spend dollars on micro transactions.
    Sarlona Server - High Lords of Malkier :
    Kluege Fixer - Superkluege

Community Member Blaze-Of-Glory's Avatar

Default Getting Stuck and then trying to unstuck yourself causes massive lag

One cause of lag is getting stuck and then trying to do something while stuck - it lags out whole instances including public ones. For instance getting stuck as a druid in the market and then trying to change to a different animal form to get yourself unstuck. This has happened to me and other people in the party. As soon as someone gets stuck everyone else gets frozen in place. I lagged spinner and the marketplace by doing this noone else in the instance could do anything until i crashed my client.

So perhaps some focus on stuck spots would go a long way to resolving one source of lag

I was hesitant to post this here because it is easily reproducible but game is unplayable so whatever
    Last edited by Blaze-Of-Glory; 04-08-2020 at 06:12 AM.

Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar

As a result, this change will first be featured on Lamannia during the second preview of Update 46 starting this coming Tuesday. If this preview goes well and no unforeseen issues are encountered we will then attempt to get this change out to the live servers as soon as possible.
    I think this means that as many people as possible should use the test server just to make some sort of "stress test" so that possible issues that can only be seen under certain stress levels can be found.

Quote Originally Posted by cdbd3rd View Post
    Imma blame the horses.

Science.

This is what I fear as well. People just move too fast for processors to catch up with all this massive amount of data.
    Let's say there are 20 people using horses with jumping, haste etc. then the processors must calculate the coordinates where they appear (plus their 3D models) - and be faster as all of them in order to avoid collisions or so. That's at least what I'm thinking.
    Looking at the level of detail of the old 3D models of objects, NPCs etc. (they all look very edgy, so to say) I fear that the whole engine was never built to handle such an amount of coordinates and meshes at the same time - the developing people simply couldn't foresee that there'd be horses one day.
    That makes me think whether more computung could be "outsourced" into the graphics card ?
    Last edited by Alrik_Fassbauer; 04-08-2020 at 09:52 AM.
    "No, it doesn't say 'Lifeling' "

This lag is gruesome right now and on par with the datacenter move that was terrible for around 2 weeks. THe horse theory is an interesting one but something I have noticed is that once someone dies in the group the lag clears up. Not sure why this is but last night in a group of 6 running sharn 1 and 2 and cogs we had crippling lag at least 5 times as well as just skippitty skip skip skip pretty much the entire time but once someone would die the crippling lag would stop. We joked it was halfling sacrifice but not sure why the dieing stops it.
    Khyber IN BAD COMPANY Longand Drunkmage Sexyheals Fullforce

Quote Originally Posted by Loholt-UK View Post
    I only experience lag in DDO, not in any other online game but it's the Internet that's the problem. Erm... ok fanboi.
    I AM experiencing lag on things other than DDO, including ZOOM meetings I attend and news feeds. So, yeah, the whole internet is stuttering right now. Normally I get very little lag (probably because I have a fast internet connection and I tend to run solo), but since everyone has gone on lockdown I am getting a good deal of it. Oh, and if you disagree with me, don't call me a fanboi, call me a fangurl.
    Snarly Dwarf Chick With A Great Axe

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alrik_Fassbauer View Post
    This is what I fear as well. People just move too fast for processors to catch up with all this massive amount of data.
    Let's say there are 20 people using horses with jumping, haste etc. then the processors must calculate the coordinates where they appear (plus their 3D models) - and be faster as all of them in order to avoid collisions or so. That's at least what I'm thinking.
    Looking at the level of detail of the old 3D models of objects, NPCs etc. (they all look very edgy, so to say) I fear that the whole engine was never built to handle such an amount of coordinates and meshes at the same time - the developing people simply couldn't foresee that there'd be horses one day.
    That makes me think whether more computung could be "outsourced" into the graphics card ?
    An interesting idea, and one that makes sense.

(At least to my feeble computer illiterate mind lol)

I wonder what the Dev's have to say about this ...

Community Member

Default I'm gonna put a horse's head in somebody's bed, Godfather-style

Imma blame the horses.

Science.
    I totally concur.... I can't even count how many times I've been caught stuck coming through a gate in a public area simply because three people are trying to come through on their stupid mounts at the same time.

Community Member

Default worst lag I've ever seen

Tonight while running dungeons in Keep on the Borderlands (Epic Hard), I was basically unable to move (popped around randomly including up into the air), could not cast anything, could not attack, could not use any abilities. The bad guys could still occasionally attack. I died... then, about 10-15 seconds later, I undied (with about 150hp left) then died again (since I still couldn't do anything). Even after dieing, I still couldn't move (to get to the shrine). At that point, I just quit for the night...

Just tried running Koromar on R1...

Boy was that a mistake.

Fear reaper applies debuff 5+ seconds after being destroyed.

does not matter if you facetank mobs or attack from max range, they hug you before damage begins applying.

and while we're at damage...

everything happens in bursts, you and mobs hit each others, everything stops, then all get damaged in 0.1 sec, rinse and repeat.

Seriously SSG, I've wasted over a month of VIP to run quests on normal/hard because harder difficulties became deathwish...

Not to mention that run on HC last night was way more stressful than needed (not nice when you get regular freezes on permadeath server)

I'm aware some like that "challenge", I do not.

EDIT: SSG, it would be nice (VERY NICE) of you to make Elite and Reaper first time bonus XP same, in light of added difficulty vial Lag monster that makes reaper runs suicide runs for those of us without 200 RP.
    Last edited by Drunkendex; 04-09-2020 at 06:30 AM.

Community Member

Imma blame the horses.

Science.
    Is it okay to be an horse-ist in these days of PCism? but there is some conjunction and correlation in your observation! I suggest we call horses the H-word from now on.
    O M N I P R E S E N C E
    J i c h a e l
    -&- D i l l i n j a h
    DDO Anthem.

Today's hotfix included a fix to an underlying issue that we believe was atleast partially responsible for the client and server performance issues players have been experiencing the past few weeks. Please let us know (in the downtime thread) how your play experience has been since the worlds came up today (Thursday April 9th) around 10:30 AM Eastern. We are actively monitoring the effects this hotfix has had and want to compile as much relevant information as possible.

I am cautiously optimistic that this hotfix will provide noticeable relief to the "lag" issues seen by players recently.
    Tell me about any and all bugs you encounter by clicking here!

NOTE: Submitting a bug in this manner is not a quick fix for past occurrences; it is instead a means of bringing issues to our attention to prevent future occurrences for both you and others. Providing detailed information, especially specifics about your account and character as well as what steps you took leading up to the issue, are critical to us being able to pinpoint the cause of any problems you have encountered.

Community Member

Just did baba on Orien and the lag was massively reduced, even the old lag around the totems was gone.

Quote Originally Posted by palladin9479 View Post
    Just did baba on Orien and the lag was massively reduced, even the old lag around the totems was gone.
    Not on Gland. Just came from an R3 Baba, strong team. Lag in all the normal places, totems and shadows. Not party wiping but many more deaths than necessary. Starting to think Gland has a special place in SSG's heart.
    HELTER SKELTER - GLAND

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast