Community Member

Default This must suck For Cordovan

I know everyone gets upset about the lag and the game issues. He is on the front line for it. Feel bad for him. Its Just post after post of lag stuff and he has to deal it.

Yes, today I played and had some lag. Its still here sadly.

Yes, I am playing less and playing other games now too, while I use to play mainly DDO

I just got on my guild ship and it was empty. I left it and came back since it was a bad instance. When I got back on it had trouble even moving while on it. The quest I had just was Running with the Devils. Not usually a bad quest for lag, but I had it. Delays on healing, freezing. Stuttering, etc. Wasn't just me experiencing it, it was the people I was with as well. I have a good computer and great internet I know it wasn't on my end.

Was on Khyber and it was about 5pm Eastern.

Founder
    Dryad Wannabe

He gets paid to listen to people complain about lag. It sucks for us, we pay to complain about the lag.

Community Member

I don't feel all that bad for him. When the company you work for provides less than adequate service, the public face gets the wrath.

Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar

The cliché goes that in ancient an in medieval times always the messenger was punished, not those who were the origin of the bad news.

Question is thiss whether it's the program/server or the cables.

We can't prove that, and no-one rants about lag with e-mail programs or internet browsers because there is so relatively little data to send to and fro.

Besides ... I did have some lag with my internet browser recently ...
    "No, it doesn't say 'Lifeling' "

Community Member

I feel bad that he deleted probably the best post I´ve seen on this forum for ages. Having worked in the service-sector myself for a long period of time - wasted 8 years - I wish I could just delete some of the problems I faced without getting manhandled. In other words, if SSG worked as smooth as lets say GW2, whose forums are pretty much dead and seems to only be run by unpaid moderators, despite what I would guesstimate ten times the gamers. He would be out of a job; in other words he should be happy!

Police do not exactly circle the swimmingpools of Beverly Hills cause there is very little money in that...
    Last edited by LavidDynch; 04-01-2020 at 04:31 AM.
    O M N I P R E S E N C E
    J i c h a e l
    -&- D i l l i n j a h
    DDO Anthem.

Bounty Hunter

He seems to have mastered the art of apathy which you need in a heavy public-facing role. I doubt he is bothered by any of it.

Default No sympathy for bs peddlers

C’mon guys, he knows when he’s blowing sunshine into a dank cave, so there’s really no reason to feel sorry for him.

Default Still getting a paycheck

He still has a job during this present time.
    Mothergoose - Kardinal - Bunks

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bunker View Post
    He still has a job during this present time.
    Exactly, We are doing the best we can to fill out his timesheet, should be good times when lag is this bad... and no need to be sorry for him, we are all powerless anonymous acronyms; not like we have a streamer or a powerhouse of any sort that can utterly destroy a server if he/she left or was banned or not pleased.... (like happened in other games see Rift and WoW)
    O M N I P R E S E N C E
    J i c h a e l
    -&- D i l l i n j a h
    DDO Anthem.

Lag sucks for everyone. Do I feel bad about what he has to read - no. Because he is a company representative, he knew what the job would entail when he signed on for it. And none of the hate has been heaped on him personally. This is literally his job to field that kind of thing - and IMHO he generally does it well and fairly.

But, the lag is a problem that has been growing larger and larger with a bare modicum of reaction from said company. It's getting to the point where it's harder and harder to excuse it. Or at least excuse my continued acceptance of the lag and response to it. To say it again, lag sucks for everyone. I just wish that SSG would be a lot more transparent with their approach to fixing it. Yes, they've said they identified some "likely" sources - but initial reactions after the patch to fix those likely issues didn't help much, particularly for players on Gallandra. Beyond that and some vague and mysterious sound-bites (text-bites?) here and there... players have been kept in the dark. So, the only recourse for the most frustrated among us has been to vent here. On the forums. Where Cordo is the moderator whose job it is to handle such vitriol.

I don't feel bad for him specifically - I feel bad for all of us who have to deal with it.
    But my sympathies for SSG as a whole are rapidly drying up.
    “Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.” ~ Mark Twain

Community Manager

Nah I'm good. I do appreciate the kind words, though. The forums are only part of my job, but an important part. Plus, I've been on these forums since 2006, so I think I have a better sense of how things tend to go here than some. I don't take it personally, which is one of the most important soft skills required for this kind of work.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter Pinterest
    Join us on Twitch!
    Hello from Standing Stone Games! Facebook Twitter
    For Support: https://help.standingstonegames.com

Everfull Flagon w/ my Eternal Mug of Mead

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    . I don't take it personally, which is one of the most important soft skills required for this kind of work.
    Cordovan, you are so low pressure you create a vacuum.

I remember the early days of ddocast, even back then you didn't get your feathers ruffled. Not even "that ladder bug" discussed on one episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    Under no circumstances will tomorrow's work "fix lag".

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lagin View Post
    Cordovan, you are so low pressure you create a vacuum.

I remember the early days of ddocast, even back then you didn't get your feathers ruffled. Not even "that ladder bug" discussed on one episode.
    When I play other games that have ladders I just jump onto them rather than walk to it. DDO habit now. If they fixed the ladders I would probably still jump on the same way.

Community Member SpartanKiller13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Justicesfury View Post
    When I play other games that have ladders I just jump onto them rather than walk to it. DDO habit now. If they fixed the ladders I would probably still jump on the same way.
    If they notice and get a bug report they sometimes even fix them I've seen a number get fixed (one from my report, the ogre opt ladder in WW3).

My current vote for buggiest ladder is WPM's drop ladder after the slippery slide.
    -Khysiria of Cannith
    Quote Originally Posted by zehnvhex View Post
    Warlock is basically a ghetto Shiradi Sorc. You gives up some of the damage and self sustain for the ability to just hold down left click and yolo blast your way to victory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    It's DDO. There are probably 6 different types of Evil damage.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by LavidDynch View Post
    I feel bad that he deleted probably the best post I´ve seen on this forum for ages. Having worked in the service-sector myself for a long period of time - wasted 8 years - I wish I could just delete some of the problems I faced without getting manhandled. In other words, if SSG worked as smooth as lets say GW2, whose forums are pretty much dead and seems to only be run by unpaid moderators, despite what I would guesstimate ten times the gamers. He would be out of a job; in other words he should be happy!

Police do not exactly circle the swimmingpools of Beverly Hills cause there is very little money in that...
    Comparing GW2 is a pretty long stretch. It's a newer game, for one, built on newer systems with easier compatability.. but more than anything, it's shallower. By far. GW2 is a puddle of water in depth of character customization and gameplay systems. To say the least. And I'm not even being hyperbolic. It's simply a far more straightforward, less broad game. You get scaled always, no gear does anything unique, all builds are neatly packaged into class-choices and railroaded.. I mean don't get me wrong, it's a lovely enough game, but trying to use it to take a stab at how DDO runs is a weak shot.

Also you're ignoring that they haven't really added anything of consequence since release, besides more of the same to grind and, to their credit, one significant additional method of advancement.. and that's like it. DDO pumps out more, despite it likely taking more work to fit it into an older game, on a yearly basis than GW2 has released since it was initially launched.

I mean, yeah, obviously GW2 is easier to run. It's a simpler game with simpler systems with few major additions. What do you expect? I'd also be surprised if the population is that high, given that there's nothing to do but level once and then PVP unless you're way into the world/gameplay for its own sake.

Quote Originally Posted by LavidDynch View Post
    Uhhh do you play the same GW2 that I play? GW2 has its own set of problems. Go join a zerg for a meta event or for WvW, please tell me how you experience virtually no lag. GW2 also isn't really on a newer system, it still uses the same engine from GW1. Many players of GW2 are upset with the release cadence because the devs struggle to deal with the spaghetti code which pushes back releases. Not only that, but the servers in gw2 seem to be straining as a result of the ongoing pandemic, much like DDO seems to be.

DDO outputs far more content than GW2 does with a surprisingly small budget which is why I'm playing this instead of GW2 right now.
    Last edited by Sythe777; 04-02-2020 at 12:31 AM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sythe777 View Post
    Uhhh do you play the same GW2 that I play? GW2 has its own set of problems. Go join a zerg for a meta event or for WvW, please tell me how you experience virtually no lag. GW2 also isn't really on a newer system, it still uses the same engine from GW1. Many players of GW2 are upset with the release cadence because the devs struggle to deal with the spaghetti code which pushes back releases. Not only that, but the servers in gw2 seem to be straining as a result of the ongoing pandemic, much like DDO seems to be.

DDO outputs far more content than GW2 does with a surprisingly small budget which is why I'm playing this instead of GW2 right now.
    I never got deep into GW2 - I found the game soulless, every class felt more or less the same. I did manage to get pretty high on the PvP scene thou but even pvp was somewhat gated by a paywall (if you didnt have the 4th tree and wasn´t an engi you couldn´t go beyond gold..., never tried WwW but I never lagged in that game. this was a year ago or so thou so things may have changed... and GW2 forums are pretty much dead compared to its population. Just watching vids on GW2 right now and I don´t see ppl lag at all (watched 4 raid various videos no lag at ALL in them?). Perhaps things have gone south since then...
    O M N I P R E S E N C E
    J i c h a e l
    -&- D i l l i n j a h
    DDO Anthem.

He has it fairly easy. Try working in customer facing complaints, or security or something.

People angst it directly targeted at you and there's no delete /ban button.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanvar View Post
    I believe my left thumb is Gimp. I think I need to reroll.
    DDO Acronyms: http://ddowiki.com/page/Glossary
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php...78#post2326178

Quote Originally Posted by losian2 View Post
    Comparing GW2 is a pretty long stretch. It's a newer game, for one, built on newer systems with easier compatability.. but more than anything, it's shallower. By far. GW2 is a puddle of water in depth of character customization and gameplay systems. To say the least. And I'm not even being hyperbolic. It's simply a far more straightforward, less broad game. You get scaled always, no gear does anything unique, all builds are neatly packaged into class-choices and railroaded.. I mean don't get me wrong, it's a lovely enough game, but trying to use it to take a stab at how DDO runs is a weak shot.

Also you're ignoring that they haven't really added anything of consequence since release, besides more of the same to grind and, to their credit, one significant additional method of advancement.. and that's like it. DDO pumps out more, despite it likely taking more work to fit it into an older game, on a yearly basis than GW2 has released since it was initially launched.

I mean, yeah, obviously GW2 is easier to run. It's a simpler game with simpler systems with few major additions. What do you expect? I'd also be surprised if the population is that high, given that there's nothing to do but level once and then PVP unless you're way into the world/gameplay for its own sake.
    Agreed on this.

I no lifed GW2 for ~6 months but felt it's just... bland.

No real goals other than getting some "farm it 24/7" cosmetic.

Meta events were either spam dps to bring boss down in 5 seconds or they have mechanics where majority of group needs to cooperate (good luck with that on map meta events, where everyone can join) or you fail event. (got tired of that fast)

If you are into crafting, you were in for a treat, if you don't mind farming so much, leggy Slavelords before requirement reduction seem fast in comparison. (most of farming can be bypassed by p2w which makes getting store bought buffs in DDO cheap in comparison)

there are good parts of that game (my favorite is that low level crafting mats are not made obsolete fast, LOVED that), but it gets drowned in repetitive gameplay which plagues that game.

EDIT: forgot to mention WvW, only part of game which was actually fun, but if you are bad at PVP (like me) you had to join zerg.
    My server had some great commanders who knew how to lead zerg of random players so good, that we regularly beat bigger enemy zergs.
    Last edited by Drunkendex; 04-02-2020 at 09:03 AM.