Community Member

Default Can Somebody Explain Ki Shout to me?

I know Ki Shout bugged, and was working at one point and now it's not. Can anyone explain the technically difficulty behind fixing it? If the enhancement isn't going to get fixed I'd like to at least understand the challenges behind being (not) able to do so.

It's been broken for literally years, and it's been brought up countless times on the forum. The devs just don't care enough to fix it.
    Khyber: Kobeyashi | Ying. R10 or bust.

As I understand it, it works, but the problem is that the "Intimidate" effect uses the actual Intimidate skill value, and not Concentration (which is what the description promises).

So it's both one more Skill to take (and that working at half-ranks), and one more effect to squeeze in to gear.

They said multiple times that they are not able to mix skill checks. Something that never made sense to me as it worked before, and Lock Bash exists as a d20 + Intimidate check for Open Lock. I had a blast being a Monk tank back in the days that it worked, but sadly as they add more and more unevadable mechanics in a world balanced around 200+ MRR with a class that is unfairly capped at 50 MRR (every other class in the game has 100 + evasion or can just use full MRR), the concept of a Monk tank is dead. I'd still like Ki Shout to work, but changes to Monk MRR would need to come with it.

That said, they recently released Alchemist's Melt Lock that is supposed to use d20 + Spellsight... something that would be a direct translation of Lock Bash, just with Spellsight, and even that doesn't work. (it's just d20 + Int Mod making certain locks impossible). There is something that the devs indeed can't figure out with mixing checks. I would think they could just code new abilities to circumvent existing bloated mechanics, but I don't know exactly what's up that stops that. The fact Melt Lock fell flat is a sign Ki Shout is unlikely to change.

As it stands, Ki Shout is an utter waste of AP and a waste of space in the Shintao tree. It is WORSE than intimidate while still using the same check. If they can't fix it, it should be replaced. If they don't want to make robes a flat 100 MRR cap because of casters (though they get armor choices and their only robe-locked option gives 20MRR or can be circumvented by BF/WF), a 2AP ability with +50MRR cap while centered could work. But I'm getting off topic here now...
    Pinc Punch - Unarmed Monk (Uber Completionist) // Porc the Orc - Paladin // Thunderborn - Warlock // Imustbe Emo - PewPew Rogue // Aquamine Artifact - Crafting Artificer (shelved)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrawingGuy View Post
    They said multiple times that they are not able to mix skill checks. Something that never made sense to me as it worked before, and Lock Bash exists as a d20 + Intimidate check for Open Lock.

Well Lock Bash does work, but even it is not working as intended. Lock Bash is supposed to perform a STR based Intim check, but it functions as a normal straight CHA Intim roll.

It boggles my mind how they cant get these to work.

To my understanding Its a limited variable number and a database cell / value.