Community Member

Default does Sticky Goo Guard from Mimic cloak work?

Hey, about 6 months ago we (wife and friends) found out about the Runearm that fires sticky goo and were excited enough to farm for it. Turns out the goo has no affect (has it been fixed since then?)

Because I like the Sticky Goo Guard idea from the mimic cloak, but am wary about spending tokens for it unless someone can confirm it works.

Thanks
    Fen

Community Member

I think it does, but has to be maxed out on charges
    '

Community Member

It works awesomely. Of the lot of them, the ml4 cloak is really good.

Community Member

It definitely works - has saved me from reapers many a time. At low levels it's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenrisulven7 View Post
    Hey, about 6 months ago we (wife and friends) found out about the Runearm that fires sticky goo and were excited enough to farm for it. Turns out the goo has no affect (has it been fixed since then?)

Because I like the Sticky Goo Guard idea from the mimic cloak, but am wary about spending tokens for it unless someone can confirm it works.

Thanks
    Fen
    Mine never stopped working so something must be going wrong with yours?

Latest test, earlier today.
    Social Justice W...arlock (5e toon)
    OkarisRage, Artificer with 3 druid past lives = <3

Goo Guard works great!
    "A wise person chooses the right road; a fool takes the wrong one." - Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    Hi Welcome

It is nice. Seems to proc quite a bit, and I generally play ranged or caster, so I am not getting hit a bunch. I suspect it would be even better for melee.

I almost always wear the ML4 version from 4 through 9. Usually switch to a RL cloak at 10, but sometimes I wear the mimic cloak all the way through heroics.

Community Member

...how do you even get enough tokens?

I've been playing the mimic event since it started and still only have ~18 tokens or so. If the cloak cost 80, it'll be about 10 more years before I can get one.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Torkzed View Post
    It is nice. Seems to proc quite a bit, and I generally play ranged or caster, so I am not getting hit a bunch. I suspect it would be even better for melee.

I almost always wear the ML4 version from 4 through 9. Usually switch to a RL cloak at 10, but sometimes I wear the mimic cloak all the way through heroics.
    it procs roughly the same as Frozen Tunic, Nice when it happens. Wouldnt count it as any thing more than that. the 4 & 8 are good value for anyone on the TR train.
    Sarlona: Thrundrack, Fizzix, Swyft______(alts x20)

Quote Originally Posted by scut207 View Post
    it procs roughly the same as Frozen Tunic, Nice when it happens. Wouldnt count it as any thing more than that. the 4 & 8 are good value for anyone on the TR train.
    Yeah, I wouldn't bother just for the goo, but it is nice. The other stats on the cloak are semi-useful, so in total, it makes it a good option for the levels I wear it.

I used to use the house P cloak 3-7 for spell resist and then the invisibility cloak from tempest spine from 8 to 11, and finally greensteel 12 to 20. These days, it is mimic cloak at 4-9, and then some kind of RL cloak 10-14 (or 10-29 sometimes).

Quote Originally Posted by smokejumper89 View Post

I've been playing the mimic event since it started and still only have ~18 tokens or so. If the cloak cost 80, it'll be about 10 more years before I can get one.
    This is my experience, too. Out of all the mimic events, I just have two items I've been able to get. I'll probably have enough for a third this time around.

At first, I thought about this event as being like the Night Revels, where I figure out what I want and then farm tokens for it.

Instead, now I just play like normal, and whenever I get enough tokens, I go get something.

Fortunately, there's not a lot in the mimic event that I find worth getting.

You have to set aside an evening or three and just farm them up. You can easily get up to 20 in an hour, so very doable. See link in my sig for F2P build & full discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Tricosene View Post
    Fortunately, there's not a lot in the mimic event that I find worth getting.
    If you're VIP and have access to farm up the leet lewt, then there may be better options, depending on the build.

But if you're F2P/Premium, the cloak is great for almost any build. And if you value your Plat (again, many F2P have to), the necklace is literally money.

And, of course, for those who like cosmetic pets, only place you can find a pile of coins to follow you around.

(I've never tried the wraps on a Monk - maybe someone else can speak to those?)

o https://ddowiki.com/page/Mimic_Hunt#Items

Community Member

Just curious, which rune arm fires sticky shots?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by rabidfox View Post
    Just curious, which rune arm fires sticky shots?
    Breaking The Bank.

https://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Breaking_the_Bank

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dog
    You have to set aside an evening or three and just farm them up. You can easily get up to 20 in an hour, so very doable.
    Yah I ran Irestone 3x last night with Mimic bait maxed, got 26 tokens. So about 8 max per run with the occasional rare encounter chest added in.

See link in my sig for F2P build & full discussion.
    ****, I'm glad I clicked on that - completely phased out about ransack. That would have surprised me and messed up my farming tonight. Thanks C-Dog!

Quote Originally Posted by smokejumper89
    Agreed, 80 is too high. It should be half that if the event doesn't even run past ransack times. 40 would be bearable.

I have 24 variants of the Night Revels cloak dusting my vault toon - not going overboard like that again. Don't even like that cloak anymore either lol.

I may farm enough for *maybe* 2 items and a companion. That's 260 tokens? Ugh. That's 32 Irestone runs WITH mimic bait. Crazy.
    Last edited by Fenrisulven7; 03-27-2020 at 05:37 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fenrisulven7 View Post
    Thanks. It's funny, I'm pretty sure I've got that moved over to a bank alt without using it; I generally use the level 10 one with silver bypass & fear immunity.

I made a ML20 one that I have been using on my main for some time from levels 20-28 and it is amazing how effective the proc is. Seems like no save, maybe 20% like many older guards such as Rock Boots earthgrab. I got the cloak for other stuff and have been so happy with proc that I will miss it when I do my new ER gearset

I seem to recall even ranged toons hitting me and getting gooed
    Wiki dashboard with some useful stealthplay links
    Proud Knight Templar of the Silver Legion, Cannith: Saekee (main; epic completionist); Parked Toons: Katwoemyn (10), Saelegion (4), Alitirala (>17), Naerfelka (>21)
    wounded and burnt from many mistakes and still stumbling!

Definitely go with the farming advice in this thread if you want to get anything in a reasonable amount of time. Just for reference, I have never farmed mimic tokens and I have played through mimic hunts over several years...I checked tonight and I have a total of 163 mimic tokens. I just do not find a lot of these through typical play. Farming fast quests with lots of chests is basically required if you want a lot of them. A lot of quests, you might only get 1 end chest for a quest that can take 10-15 minutes to complete. You have to zerg low level quests that give 2+ chests in a minute or two, or in the case of Irestone Inlet there are just a whole lot of chests in that quest.

My only complain about this event is it needs a couple more items. Yes, generally it does take a bit of work to get an item but other than that, it's a great little event.

The cloak is great at low levels, the belt offers some utility and the necklace is a great niche item for those silly quests you need skills for optionals (pale green ioun anyone)
    Social Justice W...arlock (5e toon)
    OkarisRage, Artificer with 3 druid past lives = <3

Quote Originally Posted by Isolani View Post
    Definitely go with the farming advice in this thread if you want to get anything in a reasonable amount of time. Just for reference, I have never farmed mimic tokens and I have played through mimic hunts over several years...I checked tonight and I have a total of 163 mimic tokens. I just do not find a lot of these through typical play. Farming fast quests with lots of chests is basically required if you want a lot of them. A lot of quests, you might only get 1 end chest for a quest that can take 10-15 minutes to complete. You have to zerg low level quests that give 2+ chests in a minute or two, or in the case of Irestone Inlet there are just a whole lot of chests in that quest.
    I agree with this.

Even if you had bough boost that always spawns mimic, just playing regularly won't net you lots of tokens.

And Irestone Inlet is one of best quests for token farm (just be careful to be at level, being too much overlevel won't spawn mimic)