Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26
  1. #1
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    East coast USA
    Posts
    599

    Default Compared to October

    So a friend and I are considering coming back for a month but would like some specific information to help decide if it's worth it for us.

    Of high importance - Compared to October 2019:
    1) How's lag? I see many threads so it sounds bad, is it worse than it was? We group from different time zones, so mixed party lag affects us more than soloists. If you didn't experience lag in October your experience won't match mine, but if you've been experiencing lag, is it worse now?

    2) Have feats/destinies/trees/mechanics for Rogue or Barbarian changed enough that we'll have to re-allocate action points/feats/whatever on our characters? No Inquis for either.

    3) Have monster difficulties been scaled up? The "we won't scale normal for reaper" proved to be a lie, has it gotten any worse lately?

    4) Have hirelings/pets gotten any dumber?

    5) Any quests/objectives currently broken?

    6) Any UI or game play elements currently broken?


    Of moderate importance:
    5) Has SSG walked back from the permanent per life ransack of optional experience? How that was rammed down our throats still rankles. While not enough alone to decide, knowing they walked back would help

    Of no importance whatsoever - We couldn't care less about the following, please don't waste your time and ours writing here about:
    New races/classes/trees
    Anything Reaper (except as it makes Hard or Elite scale differently)
    Server population (we're bringing our own party)
    Mounts (puh-leeeze, I've got a Griffon in my other game, horses in 4 colors and they can't enter quests means nothing to me)
    Hard Core
    Raids
    New gear to farm with low drop rates (we aren't going be be in long enough to farm, never mind use, rare drops)
    Anything BTC (except regarding change of binding status)
    Any new crafting systems
    Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Games which not only allow, but embrace players playing differently in their own game space, succeed far more often, as well as succeed in far higher measurable degree, than those which force players into playing a specific way.

  2. #2
    Community Member ShifterThePirate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    310

    Default

    You could just read up on Release notes? https://www.ddo.com/en/update-45-release-notes
    It's not like DDO changes that much in 6 months

  3. #3
    Bounty Hunter
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    11,687

    Default

    I didn't have lag in October. It does seem a little worse now since sheltering in place became a thing, but I haven't yet died to lag.

    You are missing out on a lot of fun from my viewpoint.

  4. #4

    Default

    Lag is worse now than it was in October. It's like crippling Thunderholme-level lag has expanded to the entire game. My guild couldn't complete several raids on Khyber this week due to it, and likewise we have wiped in several quests because the game just froze up for 1-2 minutes. Guildies are finding other games to play that don't have lag issues.

    If you use in-game chat to communicate, you'll also experience inexplicable delays. Several times this week I've experienced tells and other chat being delayed 45-60 seconds.
    Kobeyashi | Ying

  5. #5
    2014 DDO Players Council
    SirValentine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Eastern USA
    Posts
    7,535

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LucidLTS View Post
    Of high importance - Compared to October 2019:
    1) How's lag? I see many threads so it sounds bad, is it worse than it was?
    In my view, much worse. I.e., happening much more frequently. Lagging out in quests occasionally has been a thing for years, and happens more than ever, but lately we've also been lagging out just in the Marketplace or on guild airship.

    Quote Originally Posted by LucidLTS View Post
    4) Have hirelings/pets gotten any dumber?
    No, but they're not any smarter, either.

    Quote Originally Posted by LucidLTS View Post
    5) Any quests/objectives currently broken?
    Here one that's the opposite: they finally fixed Titan! Took them long enough, letting a raid sit broken like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    As a general rule we don't intend for a single spawn area to cause any dungeon alert, and certainly not red dungeon alert. This basically isn't ever a goal in our designs

  6. #6
    Community Member Drunkendex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Somwehere where there is LOTS of rakija.
    Posts
    736

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LucidLTS View Post
    So a friend and I are considering coming back for a month but would like some specific information to help decide if it's worth it for us.

    Of high importance - Compared to October 2019:
    1) How's lag? I see many threads so it sounds bad, is it worse than it was? We group from different time zones, so mixed party lag affects us more than soloists. If you didn't experience lag in October your experience won't match mine, but if you've been experiencing lag, is it worse now?

    2) Have feats/destinies/trees/mechanics for Rogue or Barbarian changed enough that we'll have to re-allocate action points/feats/whatever on our characters? No Inquis for either.

    3) Have monster difficulties been scaled up? The "we won't scale normal for reaper" proved to be a lie, has it gotten any worse lately?

    4) Have hirelings/pets gotten any dumber?

    5) Any quests/objectives currently broken?

    6) Any UI or game play elements currently broken?


    Of moderate importance:
    5) Has SSG walked back from the permanent per life ransack of optional experience? How that was rammed down our throats still rankles. While not enough alone to decide, knowing they walked back would help

    Of no importance whatsoever - We couldn't care less about the following, please don't waste your time and ours writing here about:
    New races/classes/trees
    Anything Reaper (except as it makes Hard or Elite scale differently)
    Server population (we're bringing our own party)
    Mounts (puh-leeeze, I've got a Griffon in my other game, horses in 4 colors and they can't enter quests means nothing to me)
    Hard Core
    Raids
    New gear to farm with low drop rates (we aren't going be be in long enough to farm, never mind use, rare drops)
    Anything BTC (except regarding change of binding status)
    Any new crafting systems
    HIGH:

    1 - Last two weeks were horrible, although yesterday was decent (not great, but not as horrible as last two weeks)

    2 -Can't say for rouge, but my barb had only minor tweak after ST inclusion (better to read release notes on that), and while not hitting as much mobs as before, his group clear speed hhad at least halved (Same numbered mob group are cleared much faster than before)

    3 - nope, can't say I noticed that.

    4 - I don't think they can get any dumber. (while dualboxing last week I saw one cast resurrect on other and dead one forgot to accept it. >_<)

    5 - nothing that I noticed.

    Moderate:

    still, present, but unless you run same quest over and over, you never really notice (Last month I got toon from 20-28 just running each quest on NORMAL, 20% normal buff + 40% daily run were enough of a boost, there was also some XP from wilderness, but not over 500k between 20-28)

  7. #7
    Community Member Nebless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    390

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LucidLTS View Post
    Of moderate importance:
    5) Has SSG walked back from the permanent per life ransack of optional experience? How that was rammed down our throats still rankles. While not enough alone to decide, knowing they walked back would help
    I think this one sounds worse than it ever turned out to be, I've found the less XP per repeating run to be a bigger sore point, and even then it hasn't been enough to really effect me.

    I've done some repeat runs on lvl 12 - 14 dungeons and haven't seen any difference in what XP I get for doing the optionals, which I always do.
    Aias Iceforge. Barbarian Ice Dwarf - Khyber

  8. #8
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,654

    Default

    The lag is really bad right now. I can understand if this keeps you from playing.

  9. #9
    Community Member vegabond1969's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    404

    Default

    The pets are horrible here lately. Especially the Iron Defender that Artys use. They pretty much just stand there, bugged out, until you take a critical hit then they might join the fight. Or they'll wait until you take something down and then run up to it like they are going to attack it.

  10. #10
    Community Member Drunkendex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Somwehere where there is LOTS of rakija.
    Posts
    736

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nebless View Post
    I think this one sounds worse than it ever turned out to be, I've found the less XP per repeating run to be a bigger sore point, and even then it hasn't been enough to really effect me.

    I've done some repeat runs on lvl 12 - 14 dungeons and haven't seen any difference in what XP I get for doing the optionals, which I always do.
    Agreed.

    You need to complete optional (not quest, optional) 8 times (IIRC) to start ransack.

    Since implementation, I did that only on DA quest.

    And I think Epic reincarnation resets that. (never tested it so I might be wrong)

  11. #11
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    201

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkendex View Post
    You need to complete optional (not quest, optional) 8 times (IIRC) to start ransack.

    You get full xp on each optional 3 times then it goes down 20% a pop, so it's down to zero after the seventh time. If a quest has both heroic and epic versions then both share the same pool.

  12. #12
    Community Member Jerevth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    An undisclosed location. I asked my captors but they remain tight lipped.
    Posts
    585

    Default

    Some of the lag seems to be on the client side, too.
    Mine has been amazingly low lately compared to before. (I scrubbed some recent Windows "updates" out of my computer based on concerns about slower computing resulting from those updates.)

    I think you'll have to actually do some work and test the waters yourself for an accurate assessment.
    Sometimes I'm too clever for my own good. Bear in mind I'm probably trying to be humorous. Like dodge, it's hit or miss.// Looking for a guild on Orien? Send a tell or mail to Magnifique to join the "Fidelic Brotherhood".

  13. #13
    Community Member Drunkendex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Somwehere where there is LOTS of rakija.
    Posts
    736

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SirValentine View Post
    I would love to see the extensive evidence you must have to back up this theory. Can you give several specific examples of "problems" that don't really exist that this cabal has made up?
    Overreaction to inq/IPS nerf (crying how EVERY ranged build turned gimp, literally).

    Crying over and over on how shrine removal hurts low level guilds (while needing guild over lvl 50 to get 30 resists shrines)

    just to name 2 most cried over last month.

  14. #14
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    91

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkendex View Post
    Overreaction to inq/IPS nerf (crying how EVERY ranged build turned gimp, literally).

    Crying over and over on how shrine removal hurts low level guilds (while needing guild over lvl 50 to get 30 resists shrines)

    just to name 2 most cried over last month.
    What does bashing people about view on ship shrines or peoples characters getting nerfed have to do with lag? Its offensive to refer to people as criers over topics that have nothing to do with the thread topic which is lag. Why look to discredit and bully people by calling them criers?

  15. #15
    Community Member AlmGhandi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZTBt7oar9w
    Posts
    745

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LucidLTS View Post
    So a friend and I are considering coming back for a month but would like some specific information to help decide if it's worth it for us.

    Of high importance - Compared to October 2019:
    1) How's lag? I see many threads so it sounds bad, is it worse than it was? We group from different time zones, so mixed party lag affects us more than soloists. If you didn't experience lag in October your experience won't match mine, but if you've been experiencing lag, is it worse now?

    2) Have feats/destinies/trees/mechanics for Rogue or Barbarian changed enough that we'll have to re-allocate action points/feats/whatever on our characters? No Inquis for either.

    3) Have monster difficulties been scaled up? The "we won't scale normal for reaper" proved to be a lie, has it gotten any worse lately?

    4) Have hirelings/pets gotten any dumber?

    5) Any quests/objectives currently broken?

    6) Any UI or game play elements currently broken?


    Of moderate importance:
    5) Has SSG walked back from the permanent per life ransack of optional experience? How that was rammed down our throats still rankles. While not enough alone to decide, knowing they walked back would help
    1) I have only been playing hardcore, but there LAG has been (from my observations) significantly worse. Somewhere in the DEV TRACKER they said they have some fix on something that might get deployed next week.

    2) If the trees / enhancements have changed you will have to respend AP anyway.

    3) not as far as I know. haven't noticed anything.

    4) actually I find them to be better.... although that is probably because I am using them more on hardcore... rather than any specific changes that have been made. You just have to keep on changing them from aggressive to passive and back again if they start doing nothing.

    5) nothing springs to mind. ive been hearing about mobs spawning in walls that makes some objectives impossible to complete... but I haven't seen it yet.

    6) nothing that bothers me as a trapper. oh well stealth sucks. but nothing new there.
    kruemeli of Orien - Leader of the "Merry" Hobbits https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...20#post5002220
    It is okay to be "merry": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjOOKb-DFZs
    I just Keep quiet and think.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYP8M06A8W0

  16. #16
    Hero
    Knight of Movember
    2014 DDO Players Council
    Hafeal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    at a keyboard
    Posts
    6,508

    Default

    Dear OP -

    I say come back and try it out yourself - that is the only way to know if you'll have a good time. If you enjoyed the game before, I think you will enjoy it again.

    Anecdotally, for me, lag has been minimal during hard core season or in my static group. This is not say you will not have moments of lag, I am saying it does not intrude on my game experience. I know others state it does. *shrug* Since lag has so many factors involved, from client side, to internet side, to SSG side, you cannot reliably blame all lag on SSG. I have had plenty of times where someone in a party claims lag and everyone is else is moving and adventuring just fine. The instances of complete stop in your tracks and freezes for the whole party has been rare, for me.
    The evolution of DDO: Stormreach to Eberron Unlimited to Dungeons & Dragons Online
    -1- -2- -3- -4- -5- -6- -7- -8- -9- -10 - -11- -12 - -13- -14! years & still spawning kobolds
    From Turbine to SSG, who are the devs anyway? DDO Peeps Tracker


  17. #17
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenrisulven7 View Post
    It's not off topic. The OP asked: "How's lag? I see many threads so it sounds bad". I simply warned him that many threads are exaggerating the problem. And I explained why.

    How about you leave the moderation to the moderators?

    He wasn't on track about the lag. He was on a tangent about last months outrage. I read your "it isn't that bad post". I responded to you that you are full of it too.

  18. #18
    Community Manager
    Cordovan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Boston Area, MA
    Posts
    27,656

    Default

    A fair number of people were getting into a ridiculous slap fight in this thread, so most of the posts have been cleared out of it. We don't allow people to call each other fanbois, bullies, haters, etc.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter Pinterest
    Join us on Twitch!
    Hello from Standing Stone Games! Facebook Twitter
    For Support: https://help.standingstonegames.com



  19. #19
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    687

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LucidLTS View Post
    So a friend and I are considering coming back for a month but would like some specific information to help decide if it's worth it for us.
    Lag is horrific, if you're at all sensitive to play disruption you'll hate the current incarnation of DDO.

    Rogue mechanic took a nerf to IPS damage, 2h staff rogue and barb probably got a nice boost in last patch, no change for dual I think.

    Pets and hirelings continue to be pointless, my hireling folder gets opened couple times a life now for lever pulling really.

    No unnerf of the optional ransack.

    The Keep on the Borderlands weapons and farming a basic mount are really pretty agreeable, if you're gonna spend a month playing it's worth spending an hour or so getting a mount if you run around in big explorer zones much, and the weapons are picked off a vendor, just loot one really common ore and done. Nothing like Greensteel/Slavelord/TOEE/TF.

  20. #20
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    842

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LucidLTS View Post
    How's lag? I see many threads so it sounds bad, is it worse than it was?
    The lag is not as bad as some people make it out to be. Ignore most of the "many threads", as they grossly exaggerate the scope of the problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload