Community Member

Default Alternative Stance for No-Crit Builds

Crit currently plays an outsized role in DPS. I think the game would be well-served with more diversity if there was an alternative to building around crit. I think that could be accomplished with a new Stance, exclusive with Precision and Power Attack:

Wild Strikes
    Your main stat now provides +2x benefit to your damage. If you are Two-Handed Fighting, that bonus is +1.5x. Your crit range is now 0.

In other words, TWF would go from 1x to 3x...SWF from 1.5x to 3.5x...THF from 3x to up to 4.5x...HaH from 1.6 to 3.1x.

The numbers could be tweaked to make it comparable to the bonus you get from crit, but the idea is you trade crit damage for solid all-the-time damage. That'd free you from having to necessarily build around crit for a melee char, or have crit-enhanced weapons be so universally good.
    Last edited by droid327; 03-23-2020 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    Crit currently plays an outsized role in DPS. I think the game would be well-served with more diversity if there was an alternative to building around crit. I think that could be accomplished with a new Stance, exclusive with Precision and Power Attack:

Wild Strikes
    Your main stat now provides +2x benefit to your damage. If you are Two-Handed Fighting, that bonus is +1.5x. Your crit range is now 0.

In other words, TWF would go from 1x to 3x...SWF from 1.5x to 3.5x...THF from 3x to up to 4.5x...HaH from 1.6 to 3.1x.

The numbers could be tweaked to make it comparable to the bonus you get from crit, but the idea is you trade crit damage for solid all-the-time damage. That'd free you from having to necessarily build around crit for a melee char, or have crit-enhanced weapons be so universally good.
    Its an interesting idea. Most builds hit a crit rate of 1.6-1.8 range witch is a significant increase in damage, so your numbers might need some tweeking. It would really help certain builds a lot, i. Thinking 2hf bards, bears, and clerics who do not have crit modifing enhancments. And some people would pick up the feet for high fort mobs.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrim1 View Post
    Its an interesting idea. Most builds hit a crit rate of 1.6-1.8 range witch is a significant increase in damage, so your numbers might need some tweeking. It would really help certain builds a lot, i. Thinking 2hf bards, bears, and clerics who do not have crit modifing enhancments. And some people would pick up the feet for high fort mobs.
    The idea wouldnt be to totally match crit output, but just to get it comparable (so that sometimes crit is numerically better, sometimes wild strikes are better; e.g. high fort mobs). Right now a high crit profile + stacking fort bypass is always the right answer by a wide margin, and that's limiting.

It'd also be less opportunity cost to go no-crit...you'd take this feat instead of Precision, and you could skip crit-based gear affixes like Armor Piercing and Seeker, skip crit enhancements, take advantage of more weapon options, etc. Plus yes, its equally useful against all mobs, and universal damage is always going to be slightly below situational damage.

On second thought, though, I think it'd have to be a permanent feat - not a stance - and mutually exclusive from taking the PA or Precision feat. You choose one path or the other, no stance-dancing to get the best of both worlds...that defeats the purpose.

this is interesting and well-thought.

Many options, obviously needs tweaking.

Could be something too like that you get double bonus from deadly gear (insightful/quality/reg).

I think monks might like this.
    Wiki dashboard with some useful stealthplay links
    Proud Knight Templar of the Silver Legion, Cannith: Saekee (main; epic completionist); Parked Toons: Katwoemyn (10), Saelegion (4), Alitirala (eventually 17)
    wounded and burnt from many mistakes and still stumbling!

Community Member

I like it.

As others said, the numbers need some tweaking, but it's a very good starting point.

Crit fishing and weapons with superior crit damage just trump everything else in-game right now to the silliest point.

I think we'd need to make it multiple feats, mostly because crit builds need multiple feats and many pieces of gear to make it work. This option is a lot simpler to gear for, and saves on the AP normally spent on crits too, so it should come with an extra character choice tax. The option we have left is feats.