Default Thoughts on a bard favored soul

So I have been thinking of TRing a toon into a bard/favored soul. I am looking at a wood elf to get rapier as a favored weapon. I want to go enough bard to be able to single weapon fighting and skirmisher to use a buckler. So I need at least 3 levels of bard. For feats I will take the full single weapon line and shield mastery line. But 17 levels of favs does not give level 9 spells. So I am leaning toward a deeper bard split. 6 bard and 14 favs. 6 levels of bard gives uncanny dodge through the swashbuckler enhancements as well as tier 5. This will be a swashbuckling melee build. But not sure to go chr or wis based. What are your thoughts?
    Officer of D.W.A.T.
    Dalton/Galinar/Kelthon/Thurm/Aleq/Velthon/Gruuden/Brootis/Tovarr

Community Member

13fvs/4fighter/3bard. heal spell extra feats from fighter and you get your buckler. i've done it as SWF dagger vistani and its great

My only immediate thought is that you absolutely want to go Cha based to get the most synergy between FvS and Bard abilities.
    Kobold sentient jewel still hate you.

Community Member

forget 13/4/3 i mentioned above. 12fvs/5fighter/3bard. 11 points in wood elf for rapier as favored weapon/11 in swash for buckler/32 kensai to get +1 threat range and +20 melee power in tier5/23 warsoul to get +10% doublestrike in tier4 would be much better. charisma based as mentioned above. 12 fvs is all you need for the Heal spell

Community Member

on a side note, taking skirmisher from sb allows you to SWF with ANY weapons as long as you are using a buckler. You won't be swashbuckling though. And also you might want to take a deity like olladra because of its excellent lvl6 feat and swap your rapier(piercing) for a sickle(slashing) for DR breaking purpose if you go for rapier as favored weapons in wood elf anyway as sickle are also a SB weapon

SWF with a dagger while leveling using VFK and swash will outperform about anything else you try—rapid slash Doublestrike and 20 MP tier 4. The Tier 5 warsoul is not that good and will not stack with vfk anyway. These might be less important at cap but while leveling, a huge boost. The nightforge stilletto will have a great crit range with swash as it uses the older buff to daggers like assassin buff if I recall properly
    Wiki dashboard with some useful stealthplay links
    Proud Knight Templar of the Silver Legion, Cannith: Saekee (main; epic completionist); Parked Toons: Katwoemyn (10), Saelegion (4), Alitirala (eventually 17)
    wounded and burnt from many mistakes and still stumbling!

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Galinar View Post
    I am looking at a wood elf to get rapier as a favored weapon.
    Any particular reason why rapiers?
    Major build threads: Axesinger / Dwarven Defender / Drow Ninja / Drow Paladin / Elven Ranger / Monkcher / Sacred Vanguard / Cleric Domains / Kundarak Brigade / Iconic Builds
    My Build Index: a Motley Menagerie of Original Rapscallions, Pugilists, and Gimps!

If you are dead set on rapier, maybe look into /5 barbarian for focused wraith out of FB?

Community Member

not sure about FB since he already gets +1 crit multiplier from swashbuckling

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by voxson5 View Post
    If you are dead set on rapier, maybe look into /5 barbarian for focused wraith out of FB?
    Swashbuckling provides +1 crit multiplier to rapiers already so it would probably make more sense to take Ravager's Critical Rage (+2 crit range), which despite the name no longer requires being Raged to apply. Plus the other tier-5 abilities are good too.
    Major build threads: Axesinger / Dwarven Defender / Drow Ninja / Drow Paladin / Elven Ranger / Monkcher / Sacred Vanguard / Cleric Domains / Kundarak Brigade / Iconic Builds
    My Build Index: a Motley Menagerie of Original Rapscallions, Pugilists, and Gimps!

Community Member

for that build: 12fvs/5something/3bard using rapiers I think kensai wins over ravager because in tier5 ravager you get some self heal who are unneeded since you are a fvs. immunity to MOST knockdowns and slippery surfaces. Not really woth it with a good balance skill which he WILL have since he's going SWF. slippery surfaces aren't a problem for you, you are a FVS who just happen to have access to the spell freedom of movement. +2 range is meh because your base range with improved critical piercing will be 15-20. 13-20 as a ravager or 14-20 as kensai wont be noticeable dps wise. +15% damage against helpless is what i consider to be good in that tier5 vs kensai t5. Now lets look at what kensai can offer you. +3 extra action boosts, +3 maximum dodge in ascetic training, +3 maximum armor dexterity bonus(requires mobility), haste boost(I know you can get it from warsoul but if you intend to go legendary dreadnought in epic then know that the haste boost from warsoul DO NOT work with action hero from LD core2), opportunity attack(+20 melee power), strike at the heart(improved destruction), +1 range and +20 melee power in t5. Lately I played a 12fvs/5barb/3bard elf using scimitars as favored weapons and the displacement dragonmark. going for frenzied beserker was a no brainer here but if he is adamant for some reason to stay with a rapier, which is a good SB weapon, then i really think kensai will win over a ravager split.

No quite the same, but something that i have been playing around with is....

3 bard for frozen fury
    6 fighter for Kensi t5 and core 3
    11 cleric for heal spell.

Pdk using greatswords.

2hf for aoe frozen fury.
    Charisma focus.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Galinar View Post
    So I have been thinking of TRing a toon into a bard/favored soul. I am looking at a wood elf to get rapier as a favored weapon. I want to go enough bard to be able to single weapon fighting and skirmisher to use a buckler. So I need at least 3 levels of bard. For feats I will take the full single weapon line and shield mastery line. But 17 levels of favs does not give level 9 spells. So I am leaning toward a deeper bard split. 6 bard and 14 favs. 6 levels of bard gives uncanny dodge through the swashbuckler enhancements as well as tier 5. This will be a swashbuckling melee build. But not sure to go chr or wis based. What are your thoughts?
    rapier+buckler as op posted

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrim1 View Post
    No quite the same, but something that i have been playing around with is....

3 bard for frozen fury
    6 fighter for Kensi t5 and core 3
    11 cleric for heal spell.

Pdk using greatswords.

2hf for aoe frozen fury.
    Charisma focus.
    Solid split imo. I wrote out a 14cleric/5bard/1wiz PDK that on paper is pretty legit. Went tier 5 WC for the party boosts/full aoe freeze/extra 19-20 multi, war domain for tactics dc's/holy sword, and most of the rest of the points into Warpriest.
    Standing melee power at cap was only about 230 running in Fury but standing 95% doublestrike is nice. Good chunk of hp too. Still got 200% strikethrough and wasn't a defensive albatross even in full dps gear.
    Took cleave/gr cleave for leveling but could easily dump those later on.

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    Swashbuckling provides +1 crit multiplier to rapiers already so it would probably make more sense to take Ravager's Critical Rage (+2 crit range), which despite the name no longer requires being Raged to apply. Plus the other tier-5 abilities are good too.
    Ye my bad, thats the one I meant

Community Member

As usual it derailed and here we are with some suggesting cleric instead of a fvs in a fvs thread. good job guys. claps