Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoBlonde View Post
    Season's Herald (this one is hard because it's the only caster tree Druid has so you have to try to cram ALL the Druid caster stuff into ONE tree and there just isn't enough room in the tree).
    Druid is a caster class, with 1 caster tree and 2 melee trees. :-( And the last time they poked at SH, they nerfed the **** out of it.

Druid needs a 2nd caster tree, perhaps reflecting the class summoning focus, with some support/healing on the side.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    As a general rule we don't intend for a single spawn area to cause any dungeon alert, and certainly not red dungeon alert. This basically isn't ever a goal in our designs

Community Member

All universal tree's need deleted, they unbalance the game in a very unhealthy way. Baring that, they all need their T5's, Level 18 and 20 cores removed. Universals should be like Racial Tree's, there to support the build not define the build.
    Illustration of a Gnome Inquisitive!

Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar

I want an universal tree for quarterstaff fighting alone.

Right now, quarterstaff fighting is within 2 classes (Thief Acrobat & Henshin Mystic) plus it is an Aureon favoured weapon. This is a bit too much.

I could even imagine a whole new sub-class for that, combining all of that (deity aspect & profane aspect).

I discussed that over there : https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...staff-fighting
    "No, it doesn't say 'Lifeling' "

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by palladin9479 View Post
    All universal tree's need deleted, they unbalance the game in a very unhealthy way. Baring that, they all need their T5's, Level 18 and 20 cores removed. Universals should be like Racial Tree's, there to support the build not define the build.
    If that sounds like too much of a hit, at least make the cores require 18 and 20 levels in a single class.
    Remove the free multiclassing aspect while granting the power usually reserved to single-classed characters.

Quote Originally Posted by palladin9479 View Post
    This is literally the exact opposite of the design philosophy of every single universal tree they've put out. They ALL exist to create build options that AREN'T locked to a specific class.

To make useful suggestions, one first has to let go of one's prejudices to the point of grasping what the devs are aiming to accomplish, not what you think they "ought" to be trying to accomplish. Plus, apart from inquisitive, how many people do you see running around with universal tree capstones as an integral part of their build? Not many.

Quote Originally Posted by SirValentine View Post
    Druid is a caster class, with 1 caster tree and 2 melee trees. :-( And the last time they poked at SH, they nerfed the **** out of it.

Druid needs a 2nd caster tree, perhaps reflecting the class summoning focus, with some support/healing on the side.
    Druid is not and never has been a "caster class" in pen and paper. They are a shapeshifter/summoner/buffer/controller/healer. A DPS druid is a melee animal form druid. The problem with this is that in DDO pets and summons are garbage, healing is a secondary ability, and druids only really get ONE crowd control spell--earthquake. So, yeah, the spellcaster aspect is pretty mediocre because half of the stuff that a spellcaster druid does isn't useful in DDO.

I find it hilarious that people keep calling the introduction of global fire and cold immunity bypass a "nerf". They buffed Season's Herald quite substantially, just not quite enough and, IMO, not quite usefully enough.

One of the things I'd like to see would be multi-selectors on the SLA's that go like this:

Tier 1: choose between Produce Flame or Freezing Bolt
    Tier 2: choose between Scorching Ray or Frost Lance
    Tier 3: choose between Call Lightning or Enveloping Swarm
    Tier 4: choose between Chain Lightning or Creeping Doom
    Tier 5: choose between Word of Balance or Sunbeam
    Core 4: choose between Sunburst and Greater Shout
    Core 5: Choose between Storm of Vengeance and Firestorm

Then change Summer to be Fire, Light, Electric and Positive spells, while Winter is Cold, Acid, Force, Sonic.

That would give them enough spell variety via SLA's to set up a good spell rotation that actually works with their chosen path. Greater Shout would give them a CC option other than Earthquake that fires faster.

Additionally, I'd unhook Cold Breath from Winter Wolf form and just make it a standard Druid spell that they can cast in any form. That way they'd have a mid-level aoe cold spell to parallel Flame Strike.

Voila, you have a nice solid Druid caster with two possible build options that both are functional.

As an additional bit, instead of having +DC to schools, they should just get +DC to all spells in their SEASON regardless of spell school.
    Last edited by PsychoBlonde; 04-02-2020 at 11:34 AM.

2014 DDO Players Council

Druid is not and never has been a "caster class" in pen and paper. They are a shapeshifter/summoner/buffer/controller/healer.
    What? That pair of sentences doesn't make any sense at all. How do you think they accomplish any summoning, buffing, controlling or healing? By casting! A summoner/buffer/controller/healer is a caster.

...druids only really get ONE crowd control spell--earthquake.
    That might be the only one you use, but if that's the only one you're aware of, you are woefully unaware. I have about a dozen different CC spells loaded on my Druid. If you wish to learn more, you could go read the wiki section on Druid spells.

I find it hilarious that people keep calling the introduction of global fire and cold immunity bypass a "nerf". They buffed Season's Herald quite substantially, just not quite enough and, IMO, not quite usefully enough.
    Nukers might have liked it, but it was a huge nerf to DC casters. As someone who doesn't give a care about spell power, SLAs, immunity bypass, DPS, blah blah blah, I consider the following to be a huge nerf:

-5 spell pen to Conjuration and Transmutation
    -3 spell pen to everything else
    -2 Conj DC (-4 effective after loss of save debuff)
    -1 Trans DC (-3 effective after loss of save debuff)
    +1 Evoc DC (but -1 effective after loss of save debuff)
    -2 effective DC to everything else

Maybe imagine that other people might play their characters differently than you play yours. If you're a nuker and you like it, good for you. I'm not, and I got nerfed hugely. I don't object to nukers getting things, I object to DC casters getting multiple things taken away for no good reason. Were caster Druids nerfed for balance reasons? I haven't heard of any. If not, celebrating the nerfs is pretty mean-spirited on your part.

As an additional bit, instead of having +DC to schools, they should just get +DC to all spells in their SEASON regardless of spell school.
    Great, you propose nerfing DCs even more. Thanks.
    Last edited by SirValentine; 04-02-2020 at 12:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    As a general rule we don't intend for a single spawn area to cause any dungeon alert, and certainly not red dungeon alert. This basically isn't ever a goal in our designs

Druid is not and never has been a "caster class" in pen and paper.
    *smh* I'm sorry but that is flat-out wrong PB. I play druid a lot in PnP and there is no way you can reconcile a class with 9 levels of spells as NOT a caster class. Just because that's not how you play yours doesn't define the class for the rest of us.
    Blood Scented Axe Body Spray (Thelanis)
    Aelonwy - Wydavir - Metaluscious - Aertimys - Aelyrra - Kaelaria - Lunaura - Aelurawynn - Saurscha - Crystalorn - Aurvaeyn - Vaelyns - Wyllowynd

Community Member

Druid is not and never has been a "caster class" in pen and paper. They are a shapeshifter/summoner/buffer/controller/healer.
    I don't often disagree with you, but on this one, it's hard not to.

Let me replace the class in that sentence.

'Cleric is not and never has been a "caster class" in pen and paper. They are an undead turning/buffer/controller/healer. A DPS Cleric is a melee self-buffing Cleric.'

I think your definition of what a 'caster class' is is what's off here.
    For what it's worth, Wizards aren't a 'caster class' by that definition, because their spells are better spent on battlefield control, charms, illusions, movement and buffs than they are on actual damage spells. Spells that require planning, preparation, careful choices - Intelligence is their main stat after all. A good Wizard doesn't go on the Sorcerer's terrain and try to out-Fireball them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12