Default Why is Ravenloft unplayably laggy?

I stopped playing DDO approx 2 years ago just after Ravenloft was released and yes it was ridiculously laggy back then but I assumed coming back after 2 years away that that lag would have been fixed.

It hasn't been!

Ravenloft is as laggy now as it was when it first came out - And when I say laggy I mean Shadowfell laggy x3! It is literally unplayable! It's all I can do to drag characters through the entry quest to get my Barovian weapon!

Is there any chance of this lag ever getting fixed?

Oh and I don't get this lag anywhere else but I do get it every single time I enter the Mists!

game is laggier than usual these days

btw

did you activate 64 bit client in the launcher options? made the infamous Lag Hill playable and the game a bit smoother in general. YMMV.
    Server: Cannith
    Guild: Korthos Village People
    Older guild link: La Santa Alleanza

Community Member

In general, Ravenloft is not laggy for most people, any more than anywhere else is laggy - if the server is having lag issues, network connection issues or instance lag, then some/all people experience that, but that's it.

Can you specify what kind of lag? I am guessing it is graphics lag, which is likely something to do with your setup or settings for the game. Maybe there's a setting you have on that is too much for your g-card and happens that Ravenloft content uses that setting a bit more than prior content.

Is it Barovia wilderness in particular? Is it the "into the mists" quest? all the chain?

This week is the first time I've ever been in Ravenloft. No lag whatsoever. I've heard Wrath of the Earth was really bad, but I haven't been in that quest yet.

Switching to the 64-bit client should help. It is what I am running.
    Kobold sentient jewel still hate you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZTBt7oar9w

Nearly had a Party wipe in Lag Hill on Hardcore..... to be expected.
    Only those of us running the 64 bit Client survived...
    kruemeli of Orien - Leader of the "Merry" Hobbits https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...20#post5002220
    It is okay to be "merry": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjOOKb-DFZs
    I just Keep quiet and think.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYP8M06A8W0

Community Member

It's the Developer God's new difficulty level. They've given the monsters the spell Mass Hold Player that can be cast at-will and has no save.
    Illustration of a Gnome Inquisitive!

Yes lag was horrendous today. I agree.

Funniest thing I had today was, my character got stuck (Mad tea party) between lag pause; holds, negative levels, entangles but then more lag freeze and it woke up twice in a row with die hard feat to die to another freeze.

Poor virtua guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Valerianus View Post
    did you activate 64 bit client in the launcher options? made the infamous Lag Hill playable and the game a bit smoother in general. YMMV.
    64bit client didn't make a blind bit of difference - If anything the lag in Into the Mists and Ravenloft slayer zone was worse today!

Quote Originally Posted by Tist View Post
    Is it Barovia wilderness in particular? Is it the "into the mists" quest? all the chain?
    I don't run anything more in Ravenloft after getting to The Blood on the Vine - I only run Into the Mists to get my Barovian weapon and then only because Into the Mists is a really short quest where the lag isn't going to stop me completing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tist View Post
    Can you specify what kind of lag? I am guessing it is graphics lag
    Yes it's graphics lag if by that you mean the screen is flickering enough to give me a headache and I'm running in stutter step with extremely frequent sieze ups when attacked by wolf packs.

There's no point me attempting the other quests in the pack with lag this bad!

And yes it is ONLY in Barovia - It's worse than Wheloon used to be!

P.S. I was running the two level 9s in Sorrowdusk just before Into the Mists and there was no lag in Sorrowdusk whatsoever OR in House D or House J!
    Last edited by FranOhmsford; 03-23-2020 at 09:48 AM.

This weekend has been my first time in Ravenloft, and I've noticed a lot of lag with low FPS. I'm running an older computer, so Eveningstar has always been a bit jerky. Are there any graphics settings I could adjust? Might updating my old graphics card's drivers help, or are new drivers generally only going to help newer chipsets?
    "Swords will cut you wide open!" - Trip Fisk

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    Yes it's graphics lag if by that you mean the screen is flickering enough to give me a headache and I'm running in stutter step with extremely frequent sieze ups when attacked by wolf packs.

There's no point me attempting the other quests in the pack with lag this bad!

And yes it is ONLY in Barovia - It's worse than Wheloon used to be!
    I have to guess you don't have a modern graphics card, maybe you have an integrated / onboard one?

Have you got your graphics settings set to the lowest setting? If not, try changing it and seeing if ravenloft content is still bad.

Now we know we're talking about graphics lag, some people might have specific pointers about what things to turn on and off.