Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Saaluta View Post
    I think it's cause vets who have feather fall items at level 1 are jumping off, and someone complained cause they died doing the same thing

Saal
    I remember a day way, way back when a guild mate suffered a lag spike at the top of a ramp and their 3rd level toon plunged to their demise right at my feet. …

Default Videos

Runs I did on the available quests

Quote Originally Posted by psychoblonde View Post
    i don't know if this is slotted to be fixed, but all of the side chests and optional chests in the quests are dropping the minor artifacts like crazy.

fyi...

Quote Originally Posted by lynnabel View Post

i've also removed an erroneous additional 33% drop for a minor artifact from the optional list, should be back to sharn rates by next preview.
    "A wise person chooses the right road; a fool takes the wrong one." - Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    Hi Welcome

The glitterdust spam in the end fight in Housekeeping is really quite annoying--you can't see what the heck is going on most of the time. It kinda ruins the climactic moment of the series.

Also in Housekeeping, when you do Foxpaw's mind and drop down to the puzzle level, you can still reach the entrance gate so you might exit accidentally without finishing instead of dropping down to complete the final stage. I'd suggest making the first drop-down larger so that you can't still reach the entrance and HAVE to exit by finishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Andu_Indorin View Post
    Must be a bug (?).

It is a bit of a let down transferring a toon, picking up the quest, and running through the Cerulean Hills to the Sepulcher of the Ancients only to find out that the Adventure Pack is priced at a whopping 9999 Turbine Points.

I don't think you'll find many buyers at that price, even if the loot is uber, uber op.
    That is a placeholder price specifically for the preview where Lord Poincelot will provide you with any points you need.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoBlonde View Post
    Severlin stated (I think) that you guys plan not to release content updates during Hardcore . . . so we can expect that this won't go live until after May 12, right?

You guys usually don't do previews almost 8 weeks out . . . makes for a PAINFULLY long wait.
    We are avoiding putting out new systems features mid-hardcore seasons. We are not, however, avoiding releasing new content mid-hardcore season. That said, U46 isn't expected out for a while yet (Read: Longer than the usual time between preview 1 and live deployment).

Quote Originally Posted by Edwinge View Post
    This is slightly off topic but I feel this is the appropriate time to bring this up. There is some confusion about what level the Cerulean Hills wilderness area is supposed to be.

On the adventure compendium it is listed as a level 2 wilderness area. In the quest log the slayers, rares, and explorers say they are level 2 and their xp and the level range that they allow full xp within are for a level 2 wilderness.

The portal UI when entering the Cerulean Hills says that the area is level 3 (whether entering from the harbor or the grove). In addition, all of the quests in the area (the older 2 and all of the new pack you are previewing) are base level 3 quests.

Which is the correct level? Can we fix the inconsistencies here?

Personally, I'd love for the area to actually be fully a level 3 wilderness area. Being considered over level for the wilderness at level 5 is frustrating when all the quests inside it are level 5 on elite. Or, if you want it to be a level 2 wilderness, can we at least get the level range adjusted so that level 5 characters don't have a penalty to xp there?

Thanks.
    This has been fixed internally. Thanks for pointing this out!
    Tell me about any and all bugs you encounter by clicking here!

NOTE: Submitting a bug in this manner is not a quick fix for past occurrences; it is instead a means of bringing issues to our attention to prevent future occurrences for both you and others. Providing detailed information, especially specifics about your account and character as well as what steps you took leading up to the issue, are critical to us being able to pinpoint the cause of any problems you have encountered.

Community Member

The first three quests play through well enough as 3rd-Level quests.

But the finale plays more like a quest better suited to the Inspiration Quarter. I enjoyed the mechanics, but at 3rd-Level, it should almost carry a "past life required" caution; some of the mechanics involved might be quite the challenge for any new VIP players to DDO who happen to pass by, having just finished the 2nd-Level quest, "Information is Key." …

[ADDITION: Upon further reflection, "past life required" is not the right term; perhaps something more along the lines of "experienced players in well-equipped party" and "not for the faint of heart."]

(And that floating platform in the harbor is not only somewhat unnecessary, but look very much out of place (unlike those in House Cannith).
    Last edited by Andu_Indorin; 03-19-2020 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Offering a better caution (?) for newer players

Community Member

In the harbor, one of the trainers or some random NPC needs to be sticking out from underneath the Hut from Beyond squawking about this hut that fell from the sky and squashed them, oh, they never should have bought those red shoes. Why miss an opportunity for a Wizard of Oz reference? Plus it'd be hilarious to have the witches squash some random passerby with their house.
    I concur! And the Wizard Trainer, Kismi Middob is even wearing Red (and gold) shoes.

Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar

In the second quest, the fight against the fire elementals PLUS the Mephits is just too hard for level 4 ! At least if one doesn't have any cold damage item or spell available ...
    The problem are imo the Mephits. They heal far too fast. I think that removing t least one would be better, but that's my personal opinion.
    Last edited by Alrik_Fassbauer; 03-19-2020 at 10:29 AM.
    "No, it doesn't say 'Lifeling' "

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cocomajobo View Post
    We are avoiding putting out new systems features mid-hardcore seasons. We are not, however, avoiding releasing new content mid-hardcore season.
    I dont play HCL so I dont have a dog in the fight...however, I would like to offer a friendly admonition that I think it would be a VERY, VERY BAD IDEA to release new content mid-season on a server that's completely level-locked and competitive based on total favor. You'd essentially be disadvantaging everyone that already outleveled that content, unless they just gave up all their progress and started over.

In this case yes, you could complete the Epic version for the same favor...but that's a much bigger risk on a Hardcore server than completing starter-level content on Elite.

In theory you could release new quests without Epic-level versions, too, and that would just be a complete shaft for all existing HCL chars.

But the finale plays more like a quest better suited to the Inspiration Quarter. I enjoyed the mechanics, but at 3rd-Level, it should almost carry a "past life required" caution; some of the mechanics involved might be quite the challenge for any new VIP players to DDO who happen to pass by, having just finished the 2nd-Level quest, "Information is Key."

(And that floating platform in the harbor is not only somewhat unnecessary, but look very much out of place (unlike those in House Cannith).
    I'm glad you brought this up because I was wondering what the quests would play like at level 3.

My suggestion would be:

1. Make the finale level 4 instead of level 3. That'd put it at the same level as Irestone and Proof is in the Poison, when the quests start getting harder anyway and players generally have access to level 6 gear.
    2. Reduce the overall *number* of mobs slightly, but jack their damage numbers up about 15-20% in Legendary to compensate (they're much weaker now than the mobs in Soul Splitter, for instance, if I'd tried running Soul Splitter on R1 legendary the half-assed way I ran these quests I'd have died about 10 times). Maybe make a lot more of them orange-named? Orange-named mobs aren't that much tougher at level 3 but they ARE at level 29.

Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar

I'm glad you brought this up because I was wondering what the quests would play like at level 3.

My suggestion would be:

1. Make the finale level 4 instead of level 3. That'd put it at the same level as Irestone and Proof is in the Poison, when the quests start getting harder anyway and players generally have access to level 6 gear.
    2. Reduce the overall *number* of mobs slightly, but jack their damage numbers up about 15-20% in Legendary to compensate (they're much weaker now than the mobs in Soul Splitter, for instance, if I'd tried running Soul Splitter on R1 legendary the half-assed way I ran these quests I'd have died about 10 times). Maybe make a lot more of them orange-named? Orange-named mobs aren't that much tougher at level 3 but they ARE at level 29.

This is the result if people don't test low level content with low level characters anymore : Everything becomes balanced towards end game. This is as if anything on the non-hardcore severs became balanced towards hardcore.

I bet if there was a quest for level 2 and NO other (Epic or Legendary) levels, no-one would test it.
    "No, it doesn't say 'Lifeling' "

Community Member

For KotB I tested both low level and high level versions.

For this I ran it on Leg Reaper ... Most of the quests took longer to get to than they did to run. I had no problems completing the quests in a couple minutes each, saving the last one, which I found a bit annoying, but did complete .. just takes a bit longer due to first time puzzles not due to mob difficulty.

The gear from this is mostly niche or build specific - except some overpowered or now-lower-level-access-to-stat items.

On the whole I would skip this pack totally. Since I have earned points I'll likely just get it for completion sake, and I can see just running the quests at level 3 for more banked xp however, the quests need to have decent for the level xp .. and so far what we see is SSG don't want to really add any decent xp quests to the roster.

I felt the DCs at LR1 were maybe 1-2 more than Sharn. Seems un-necessary especially when we can't gain that.

Edit : see no point testing it on L3, it will be decimated by my toons. It will be like KotB, <5 mins per quest on reaper.

But the finale plays more like a quest better suited to the Inspiration Quarter. I enjoyed the mechanics, but at 3rd-Level, it should almost carry a "past life required" caution; some of the mechanics involved might be quite the challenge for any new VIP players to DDO who happen to pass by, having just finished the 2nd-Level quest, "Information is Key." …

[ADDITION: Upon further reflection, "past life required" is not the right term; perhaps something more along the lines of "experienced players in well-equipped party" and "not for the faint of heart."]

What was the hardest part of the finale for you?

Had fun running these, used underpowered characters built on Lamannia rather than transferring any from live. Found normal difficulty reasonable on both, maybe a little challenging for the level 30 (not surprising, since legendary is level 32), maybe a little easier than expected for the level 3 (might be because I gave it the gear from the quests before starting). The level 3 got almost enough exp for level 4 running the 4 quests on normal. Really enjoyed the layout and storyline (trying to figure out what happened to the initiates by retracing their steps). The different available paths to the end (choice between puzzles or secret passage, or between the long way and the quicker, fiery way) was a nice touch, and appreciated that if you're the thorough type you don't have to choose - can explore every passageway. Had a little trouble with the crystal at the end of the mine; apparently my druid's spellcraft wasn't high enough, but eventually got the "just smash it" option to work. Also accidentally tried activating the golems in General chat instead of /say - expect there to be a lot of random "Activate" in general chat once it goes live Also took me quite a while to figure out to jump down after finishing Foxpaw's puzzles - eventually realized that must be what the "Think outside the box" clue must mean. I wouldn't recommend removing the escape portal as was suggested elsewhere, though - some folks might need or want that. Just seeing that the optional isn't complete yet is probably enough of a clue that there's more to do, and you can always come back in (I did a couple of times). One last thing - I know the pack is called Gatekeepers, so kind of has to be Gatekeepers favor, but could you maybe in the future consider adding more (low level) stuff with Coin Lord and/or Kundarak favor? Would be nice to be able to pick different quests to run for that 4th pack page and 2nd bank page.

Lost Gatekeepers (Heroic)

Overall I think the storyline for the U46 Preview 1, Quests was solid. I like the constant use of the "Visions of the Past". Although of course once you've run through the quest a dozen times; you'd probably mostly ignore those cutscenes.

The Home of Memory: There seemed to be faint purple or pinkish dusk like hue through a fair bit of the quest, which looked a little odd in places. The quest involved invoking various artefacts, which was reasonable for a Level 3 quest. I was a little disappointed with the artwork for the Bull and Bear shrine; it looked as if it was a little rushed.

Heart of the Problem: This quest was far too short really - it possibly took no more the 2 minutes to Complete. The idea was fine but because you could take various paths some of the story was a little out of synchronisation regarding the NPC. Also I was saddened that you didn't make the tunnels more extensive, etc.

In a long black shadow, pull a hammer from a coal mine.

The rotten collapsible wooden sleepers or pit props and activation of the Golems were the highlights. Albeit it didn't feel like a mine and I know you guys can do much better with mine like structures. I suspect the first two quests just didn't get enough love so it just felt abruptly truncated. It was more like a collapsed Mineshaft doorway than tunnel, etc. Length of quest was the main problem really as the quest idea was fine.

Rosemary's Ballad: This quest was of a rather dark nature (and maybe a bit creepy for a low Level 3 quest) with topics such as alcoholism, witchcraft, possession, etc. All taking part in and a giant vermin infested farmstead, etc. It did have rather a lot of Americanisms in the dialogue, but that didn't detract from it too much.

I've got birds of life and a chain-gang bell.

I liked this quest the storyline was robust and you could also skip the puzzle. Plus put an end to the sinister version of Homer Jay Simpson.

The Scythe reminded of a text adventure so that was a nice touch. The mine tunnel looked like a section of: Undermine, though that's forgivable.

The maze and Scarecrows seemed like a bit of an odd combination. As you wouldn't erect the Scarecrows in such a closed area and there weren't to ward off spirits. I'm presuming the weird root foliage magically grew there at ridiculously rapid rate.

Kiss a girl, slay a hag.

And her eyes are surely playing tricks on her now, because it seems to her for a moment as if the colours are coalescing with oleaginous lethargy to form greasily shining pictures that seem to be inclined at an impossible angle to her. She feels that she'd be able to see the pictures quite clearly if she weren't looking directly at them, if somehow she were able to skew her perception around into a forbidden direction.

She shuts her eyes firmly but that doesn't blot out the drifting gauzy matrices of colour. Hand on the pommel of her dagger, feeling the coldness of the metal, she takes an instinctive pace forwards, automatically preparing to attack a threatening foe – as if the abstracted colours could somehow knit themselves into solidity and become her foe. As if the colours would care or even notice if she tried to attack them.

There's nothing beneath her feet, she realizes, but an eternal tunnel of colours. Nothing holding her up here where she stands, infinitely far above an indeterminate ground.
    . . . tick, tick, tick, tick . . .
    . . . you're touched by the colours and the colours stick . . .

Housekeeping: I'm not quite sure what I experienced; did we get to enter Flimsy's deviously warped mind or something in that large Puzzle room? ;-)

I'm not sure about the "House" being permanently placed within the Harbour was a good move, it perhaps should have appeared in: The Cerulean Hills. Albeit it (exterior) will undoubtedly turn heads, from passerbys and the eye candy looked like something from Brothers Grimm. :D

Flap your wings and leap out the window.

The quest visually and plot wise was exceedingly well executed although it could be rather "challenging" for newbies. It probably should have been aimed nearer Level 10 regarding complexity and themes. It is certainly the "Lost Gatekeepers" showpiece regarding creativity, etc. Dialogue options were also well thought out.

(Dungeon Master): These hags are amateurs when it comes to faking their deaths. You are certain you haven't seen the last of them.

There were some nice lines and references to various film and written entertainment sources. Job well done.

I haven't gone into great detail and just reiterated those issues that I found most memorable.
    Last edited by DYWYPI; 03-21-2020 at 06:21 AM. Reason: I don't love you because you're beautiful, you're beautiful because I love you.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    What was the hardest part of the finale for you?
    The "Dice Platform" puzzle in Foxpaw's section I gave up on, as I was running the quest much too late at night (early morning). Main thing with that section is that I'm trying to put myself in the shoes of a beginning player, as after all, the Harbor was originally set up as the locale for low level quests.

Perhaps the biggest foreseeable challenge for new players would be the mirror puzzle, especially given its "dream-like" appearance. As a veteran player, I quickly recognized it for what it was. Imagine a new player confronting it without previous experience in other "Legendary" chains (Slavers, Ravenloft, etc.). I might also ask, is it as lethal at Level 3 as it is at Epic Levels? I didn't think to test it.

Other than the puzzle section, I did get a Level II or III dungeon alert in the Capstone section, which was confusing as I couldn't see or target any enemies around me. This happened on the topmost level of the section, so I assume that I triggered aggro from something below (?).

And the glitterdust end fight, while a diverting challenge for more experienced players, might be a bit too much of a surprise for newer players; though at least the Hags to jump around like Kobolds.

All things considered, I do think an "experienced player" designation might be warranted, at least from a PR perspective.

And on a very obtuse tangent, I was unaware that Eberron has a Plane of Pop-Pyschology. Is this something that the Wizards are planning to include in the 6th edition?

I don't think the 'Dice Puzzle' had a corresponding figure on a stylised "dice" symbol located nearby? To make it easier, so you knew what dice face pip value was "required". However, I may have totally missed spotting that symbol in all the room clutter... Remember the newer players won't have likely seen: Smash and Burn. Plus of course not everyone owns the Masterminds of Sharn (although at the moment with the worldwide Pestilence and Severlin's announcement ALL players theoretically have access to every quest for a limited time).

Also there is a minor problem with most of the DDO "Simon Says" Puzzles. (We'll ignore the larger challenge regarding people with faulty short-term memory attempting to recall the longer sequences for the moment). Sometimes if you get a lag spike, etc. The puzzle gets out of synchronisation audibly and visually and by the time your eye has spotted and tracked the absolute first Rune to light, the next is practically activating. So it mostly results in you having to reset the Puzzle.

Agree Hut should be in cerulean hills not harbor looks so out of place and there is enough going on in the harbor, plus if you recall of out cerulean hills you end up in harbor not grove so loads of loading screens already. 5 per quest, entering c hlls, enter quest recall to hills, recall to harbor, enter grove. very annoying. can be cut to 4 if run from hills to grove.

Ran quests on with lvl 4 warlock on norm all were fun, last one with the hags had no clue what to do with the dice (tried various diff things) , and also wasn't too sure on the pentagram either (tried all lights on all lights off etc) lined the mirrors up and nothing happened, not sure if bug or ?? and I've played ddo off and on since beta, so left quest and skipped that section next time though beta. Think if i was anew player this would really put me off.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast