Community Member

Default Update to optionals and loot chance

Exp groups tend to skip most optionals (unless they are easy to get, or something like Wiz King) because the exp and/or loot rewards are just not worth it.

How about if (at least some) optionals provided an end-chest named-item chance boost, instead of a (usually underwhelming) shot of exp & standard loot.

This would clearly delineate between exp groups and loot groups, while providing loot hunters with a way to improve their chances if they put in extra work.
    It might also encourage slightly different styles of play, with loot groups being more likely to split up to complete optionals efficiently, rather than the standard zerg.
    Last edited by Koochulainn; 03-17-2020 at 07:19 AM.

I think there should be some Named items that are ONLY found in optional chests. These items should be more fleshed-out with a minor backstory. 'Mad wizard was sampling his potions and accidentally dropped his newly created casting stick down the outhouse into the sewer', or such.

When they implement this (wink, wink), we won't tell the zergers about it.
    Dennis the Peasant: Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

Optionals should be made _better_ xp (per time) than completing quests to entice running them.

Completions give xp, rxp, loot chests, loot after completion, favor and sometimes flagging.
    Optionals only give xp and sometimes loot chests.

Clearly optionals should be better xp as they offer little else.
    Danskerne
    A Danish Guild on Ghallanda. Send PM if interested.
    Leading Raids Thursdays from 20 CET and Sundays from 21 CET.

the most important update to optionals is reverting the permanent exp ransack

after that, separating loot and exp incentives is an interesting idea that i like

2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Buddha5440 View Post
    I think there should be some Named items that are ONLY found in optional chests. These items should be more fleshed-out with a minor backstory. 'Mad wizard was sampling his potions and accidentally dropped his newly created casting stick down the outhouse into the sewer', or such.

When they implement this (wink, wink), we won't tell the zergers about it.
    "When" being years ago, of course. Tons of these already exist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    As a general rule we don't intend for a single spawn area to cause any dungeon alert, and certainly not red dungeon alert. This basically isn't ever a goal in our designs

Community Member

I do optionals in heroics because every bit of xp helps (though only matters, like you said, in a handful of quests). In cap reapers, however, no optionals are ever done, it's just wasted effort to slog through those mobs. Adding xp should be done, but doesn't help the endgame problem. Extra named chance help (though probably easier to just drop an extra named chest by certain optionals or at end than add to ingrained named loot by difficultly chances, it would also help make farming longer quests. Much of the quest design recently has been for short quests because they are easier to make and easier to farm, but adding in optional named chests in long quests makes the time spent farming each much closer to the short ones). What should be done is that xp also adds to the end reaper xp. It is increased by quest length, but it should also be increased by the optionals done, weighted by the experience they deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Koochulainn View Post
    Exp groups tend to skip most optionals (unless they are easy to get, or something like Wiz King) because the exp and/or loot rewards are just not worth it.

How about if (at least some) optionals provided an end-chest named-item chance boost, instead of a (usually underwhelming) shot of exp & standard loot.

This would clearly delineate between exp groups and loot groups, while providing loot hunters with a way to improve their chances if they put in extra work.
    It might also encourage slightly different styles of play, with loot groups being more likely to split up to complete optionals efficiently, rather than the standard zerg.
    I second this suggestion.

If player takes time to slog through 15 min optional that gives 5% quest XP and basic loot, at least reward him/her for putting time in that optional with something better than bit of plat/something to throw in crusher...

Partycrashers was nice idea, making optional chests give loot as if quest level was higher. Sadly not very useful since they still give basic loot.

Optional in search and rescue is one of the few optionals that is the only place you can find specific named items.

And noone ever runs it.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by mikarddo View Post
    Optionals should be made _better_ xp (per time) than completing quests to entice running them.

Completions give xp, rxp, loot chests, loot after completion, favor and sometimes flagging.
    Optionals only give xp and sometimes loot chests.

Clearly optionals should be better xp as they offer little else.
    Yes, at the moment optional generally offer very little.
    What I was suggesting was that they provide something worthwhile, targeted at loot hunters.
    Exp runners would still have the current straight-line zerg available.

Quote Originally Posted by Gniewomir View Post
    Optional in search and rescue is one of the few optionals that is the only place you can find specific named items.

And noone ever runs it.
    I run in about 1/3 runs, and it's a slog each time, not to mention disappointment discovering all I get for that slog is some platinum...
    Year ago I got heroic cloak from it, and that's only time that optional favored me.

I tend to do a number of optionals not just for the bonus xp & loot from them specifically, but also because of the satisfaction of seeing those little monster manual deeds popping up just in the course of general gameplay - they can add up to quite a bit of bonus XP. This is a big part of why I still run temple of elemental evil just on hard for most lives, so many different enemy types in there
    I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was, now what's it is weird and scary to me.