Community Member

Default A neat thing happened in game today

So I'm leaving eveningstar by using the d12 from the anniversary party. The times i've used it before it has brought me to the bridge in the market next to the tent. Today It took me to a splash screen I have never seen before. It was an image of clouds and a dimension door. Then it ported me high into the air above the market. Descending, I could see the market far below and I could circle around and see past the city walls. I could see what looked like forested hills and the actual horizon line of the game world. It was kind of misty and shadowy. Has this happened to anyone else? It was definitely one of the coolest images I have ever seen in DDO. Made me think of all the undeveloped land out there the Devs could fill with fun adventures. Anyway just something silly but fun that reminded me after playing for almost 10 years the game still has some cool surprises. Happy adventuring

I love it when "magic goes all pear-shaped".

Teleportation "fails" are very cool. I kinda wish that there were more locations to drift down upon other than the Marketplace - but it really is a neat little hidden gem. Congrats on seeing this for the first time.
    “Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.” ~ Mark Twain

Whenever you use the teleport spell, it has a chance of doing this. Normal teleport is something like 5 or 10% chance, the d12 is only a 1% chance. Mishaps and erroneous destinations have existed in the Teleport spell since 1st edition.
    Kobold sentient jewel still hate you.

The splash screen in question:

“Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.” ~ Mark Twain

If you're on Sarlona market and chat goes something like:

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AA *splat!*"

that was me using d12...

If you are in GMoF, timed with impact and no feather fall, you gotta do the drifting lotus attack with that fall speed for UBER cool animation win
    Wiki dashboard with some useful stealthplay links
    Proud Knight Templar of the Silver Legion, Cannith: Saekee (main; epic completionist); Parked Toons: Katwoemyn (10), Saelegion (4), Alitirala (>17), Naerfelka (>21)
    wounded and burnt from many mistakes and still stumbling!

Don't use the d12 with out feather fall
    Darkwinn, Milkus, Terismina, Gothmawg, Dreylock, Drunarah, Bigbhamboo, etc on Sarlona / Brixlynn, Mofus, Curgoth, Deidlit, etc on Ghalanda.

Default DDO needs more of these type of details out of quests

It is one of the best side effects and fun details about DDO.

Less about perfect cast or dps but more of these details hooked many players in the past. More of these type of random things, random npc interactions effecting our virtualife and little surprises and instant global events (I wish) that would make players react and work together would be great for DDO.

It would be really cool if there were more locations that the pear could take you. Maybe add all of the places you can show up when you jump off an airship.

Quote Originally Posted by pjc1 View Post
    I could see what looked like forested hills and the actual horizon line of the game world. It was kind of misty and shadowy.
    I've gotten pair-shaped teleports before, but I don't recall seeing a forest in the horizon. Perhaps this was added more recently, with the various rounds of re-texturing that's been done to certain areas?

P.S. Glad you discovered something new, even after playing for so many years!
    That's not lag, it's just DDO trying to become turn-based again.

Feature wishlist: colour-coded HP bars; red/blue teams in raids; rez-timer in party menu; equip-able halflings

Years ago, I bugged outside of the city walls somehow. I don't remember how, but it might have been after a teleport gone sideways. Lots of blank terrain is my vague memory of it, but it was a long time ago and I don't see any screenshots saved to my game folder. Pretty sure there were screenshots posted by someone else who had the same thing happen around that time. It was probably in the first few years of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by RTN View Post
    Years ago, I bugged outside of the city walls somehow. I don't remember how, but it might have been after a teleport gone sideways.
    There used to be a few gaps in the walls, and you could get "outside". If you knew where to jump, you could bounce off invisi-wallks until you landed on the other side of the wall and could run free. One of which used to be in House J, near the entrance to Tempest's Spine. You could walk a huge distance - and even have your focus orb change location to different houses. And find all kinds of scraps of architecture from around the game, just strewn about willy-nilly. The last time I was able to find one and get out was well before the move to Unlimted, so 2008 or before.

Kinda wish my old PC hadn't devoured itself and I still had the screenshots. It was really neat.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by pjc1 View Post
    So I'm leaving eveningstar by using the d12 from the anniversary party. The times i've used it before it has brought me to the bridge in the market next to the tent. Today It took me to a splash screen I have never seen before. It was an image of clouds and a dimension door. Then it ported me high into the air above the market. Descending, I could see the market far below and I could circle around and see past the city walls. I could see what looked like forested hills and the actual horizon line of the game world. It was kind of misty and shadowy. Has this happened to anyone else? It was definitely one of the coolest images I have ever seen in DDO. Made me think of all the undeveloped land out there the Devs could fill with fun adventures. Anyway just something silly but fun that reminded me after playing for almost 10 years the game still has some cool surprises. Happy adventuring
    I don't have the d12, but I've had that happen with a teleport spell before. From what I understand, the d12 acts as a teleport spell, so it would stand to reason that it could also fail occasionally and teleport the caster above the marketplace tent (the spell failure behavior from a teleport spell).

Everfull Flagon w/ my Eternal Mug of Mead

Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    There used to be a few gaps in the walls, and you could get "outside". If you knew where to jump, you could bounce off invisi-wallks until you landed on the other side of the wall and could run free. One of which used to be in House J, near the entrance to Tempest's Spine. You could walk a huge distance - and even have your focus orb change location to different houses. And find all kinds of scraps of architecture from around the game, just strewn about willy-nilly. The last time I was able to find one and get out was well before the move to Unlimted, so 2008 or before.

Kinda wish my old PC hadn't devoured itself and I still had the screenshots. It was really neat.

Had that happen once. House J jumped right into my thoughts when I started reading the post. I think the other place I was sent was the trench behind the bank in House K, I wandered for a good long time, all landscape though, no buildings and such.

As for the old pc,..... Mine got toasted during the tent event in June 2008. Good times indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    Under no circumstances will tomorrow's work "fix lag".

Quote Originally Posted by Mofus View Post
    Don't use the d12 with out feather fall
    Or any Teleport.

Especially on HCL server. ...

(Don't ask me how I know.)
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies

Quote Originally Posted by cdbd3rd View Post
    Or any Teleport.

Especially on HCL server. ...

(Don't ask me how I know.)
    My main on live has a 90 tumble. I love it when my teleport goes pear shaped because I can drop without feather fall and not take any damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    The splash screen in question:

When i still played ddo, i ran off one of my m.2, ssd before that, a 6disk raid system (yeah, i've always overbuild my pc, though that last one drove the misses up the wall with its start up noise back then XD)
    It wasn't untilll i watched some youtube ddo videos, when i realised i missed 90% of the games splash screens, especially in the later years i hardly recal seeing them, the game loaded that fast looking back using google.

As for that teleport, if i remeber correctly, jumping off the propper side of the (largest) airship got you to different locations, the stern (or backside), might have led to that same location above the marketplace.
    Then again, i have just completed a 16 hour workday thanks to co workers staying home, so my memory might be a bit fuzzy.

Talking about boundry hopping, i don't know if it's legal to tell this story but here goes:
    Years back the server croacked, but the game kept running, a lot of the teleport doors were gone, i could run from the lower necropolis to the upper, from there i could run straight to any of the Orchard of the Macabre quests.
    No mobs spawned though. Though i assume this meant zoning into the lower necro are also loads the orchard into the game memory.
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    I play a guy with a two-hander not just in this game, but in every game that has 'em.
    Quote Originally Posted by J-mann View Post
    Not to derail the thread, but then can you make 2hf NOT suck so much compared to 2wf or swf?
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    8 pages in, that train has already sailed. The dead horse is canned into cat food by now.