Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Covid-19 PSA

An Advance Directive is a legal document that details what medical decisions you would like to have made for you - should you not be in a condition to make those choices for yourself. This seems like a good time to make one if you don't already have one in place.

This is a link to the AARP's State-By-State Advance Directive page (it also includes U.S. regional territories). It's just a portal to the links for your state's proper forms, so you don't need to be a petitioner to use it.

Advance Directive Form

Stay safe, y'all.
    “Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.” ~ Mark Twain

Default Very Nice, Memnir.

Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    An Advance Directive is a legal document that details what medical decisions you would like to have made for you - should you not be in a condition to make those choices for yourself. This seems like a good time to make one if you don't already have one in place.

This is a link to the AARP's State-By-State Advance Directive page (it also includes U.S. regional territories). It's just a portal to the links for your state's proper forms, so you don't need to be a petitioner to use it.

Advance Directive Form

Stay safe, y'all.
    "A wise person chooses the right road; a fool takes the wrong one." - Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    Hi Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Arkat View Post
    I just made one for myself the other day. As an At Risk person, and with hospitals (or at least the one I would be transported to) in Seattle not allowing anyone to visit patients for any reason - it seemed prudent. Hospitals that are also out of ventilators and clearing out Pediatric wards to make room for needed adult spaces, may I add. I also made my first will the other day, but yeah - that seemed to be a bit grim to post a How To on.

I'd honestly rather people look after themselves - even if it's bracing or seems silly to post about. Things are bad, and on a trajectory to get worse.
    Last edited by Memnir; 03-30-2020 at 02:08 PM.
    “Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.” ~ Mark Twain

It appears the DDO Forum quoting function has gone all pear-shaped.

Nevermind...fixed.
    Last edited by Arkat; 03-30-2020 at 02:18 PM.
    "A wise person chooses the right road; a fool takes the wrong one." - Author unknown

Hi Welcome

I that seemed to be a bit grim to post a How To on.
    Are all pessimists just being realistic, or are all realists doomed to a pessimistic view of the world?

If this is a legit PSA thread and not comedy relief, well, people are dying, so yeah, it's going to be grim if it's going to be of Service to the Public. Better than the "Don't worry about it, doctors are exaggerating" attitude of the US administration a month ago.

That said, we're in this for the long haul.

And don't be confused - chances are, you WILL get this thing. But that doesn't have to be a terrible thing, probably no worse than a bad flu.

Some sources have said "This is just the flu" - yes and no. Many of the symptoms are similar, but as a "novel" virus, humans are not naturally immune to this one. And that changes the game. Think "American indigenous population and measles". Yeah, bonus.

There is a thing called "herd immunity" - not every member of a herd (for example, the population of your town/city) needs to be immune, just "enough" so a virus doesn't rip through like a lightsaber through butter. Herd immunity is reached at about 80-90%. It's why one kid with chickenpox doesn't mean an entire population of kids will have it.

That means that we have to wait until 80-90% of the population have had this thing before it will naturally slow down to where any other "flu" virus is currently. Or, possibly, until a prevention/cure is found, which could be sooner or later than that 80-90% target, hard to say. Meanwhile, the trick is to prevent 80-90% of the population of the US to be seeking medical care all at once. If we can do that, then, when it's our turn (and odds are it will be), we can get the care we need, and we, hopefully, we won't need an AD.

Sorry if that's a "downer". Just being realistic.

Default The final Downer

First, thanks C-dog for boiling down the entirety of humanity to nothing more than a stampeding herd of bison, who ,have no other defense than to huddle together and wait out who will survive.

We are HUMANS! We haven't relied on natural selection in millennia, we have the ability to build, discover and create strategy. BTW,Social distancing has already killed the right wing talking point of herd immunity.

You want herd immunity , go have a covid -19 party and see who lives and dies ~!

This is a disgusting perspective and I wish people would stop sharing ~!

Community Member

If Tom Hanks can get the virus then who cannot? that guy actually stormed the beaches in Normandy in 1944... plenty of of picture evidence for that occurance! if you don´t believe it?

Covid-19 PSA should now have a a fancier name like the Tom Hanks disease! surely rolls better off the tongue!
    O M N I P R E S E N C E
    J i c h a e l
    -&- D i l l i n j a h
    DDO Anthem.

TL, DR? Demonstrably misinformed or confused on almost every point.

Quote Originally Posted by Winded View Post
    First, thanks C-dog for boiling down the entirety of humanity to nothing more than a stampeding herd of bison, who ,have no other defense than to huddle together and wait out who will survive.

We are HUMANS! We haven't relied on natural selection in millennia, we have the ability to build, discover and create strategy. BTW,Social distancing has already killed the right wing talking point of herd immunity.

You want herd immunity , go have a covid -19 party and see who lives and dies ~!

This is a disgusting perspective and I wish people would stop sharing ~!
    @ Winded -

You seem confused on several points. This is reflected in both the inaccuracies and over-dramatics in your post. Quite apparently, either you don't understand the situation in our world as it really is, how a virus and immunity interact, or you don't understand what I said about it, since what you seem to present as sarcasm is, in fact, the actual situation.

I'll try to touch on some of this, both for you and for anyone else who shares your confusion, because your brave-face theatrics are exactly why there is so much nonchalance in some quarters and over-concern in others - the exact sort of negative "herd mentality" that your reaction reflects. My "disgusting perspective" is simple objective fact, observed behavior of both a virus and people targeted by it (and as far as that goes, I'm kinda disgusted that the world is this way too, but it is what it is).

...boiling down the entirety of humanity to nothing more than a stampeding herd of bison...
    That's not at all what I said - but since you brought it up...

From the perspective of immunology, we are indeed just a herd - exactly like any other target host group. Whether humanity or a colony of sponges, a virus seeks, infects and spreads just the same. To think that a virus will somehow treat us differently because Peter Parker studied Science in college is just naive. I'm not making any of this up, it's not "my perspective", that's just the unvarnished facts, it's "how . And that's the perspective we're talking here. I know it can seem scary, but it's not really, so deal with it without the over-theatrics.

We haven't relied on natural selection in millennia
    Um... wow, where to start?...

A species does not consciously"rely" on natural selection. It's not something we can choose to turn off or avoid. Natural selection is a constant force that applies itself to a species, based on the environment. The more extreme the environment, the more dramatic and noticeable that selection can be, but it's always there. Recently, for example, after the Napoleonic wars, the average height of men in/around England and France dropped by about 2 inches - taller soldiers who marched toward volley fire died more often, while shorter ones survived. Natural selection at its simplest (if not it's most "natural").

Simply put, we are indeed and always subject to natural selection, constantly, inevitably, inescapably.

Oh, please. Stop being silly with a serious topic, it adds nothing to the discussion.

You don't attain herd immunity by infecting everyone intentionally - that isn't how it works, and even a sarcastic suggestion is just absurdist. That's how you attain herd extinction, and exactly what social distancing is trying to avoid.

Herd immunity is already beginning, with every recovery, and every person who is exposed but fights it off (which latter is going entirely uncounted, due to its nature). That is how it works.

Covid is, quite clearly, more contagious than most, in large part because it is a novel virus. You think that, somehow, if we all just hold our breath for 30 or 90 or 365 days more it will go away? Our bodies will be as unaccustomed to it as right now, and it will still be out there, waiting in the tall grass. As soon as social distancing stops, it will be as opportunistic as it can be*. Another simple fact of biology.

(* which is why we have to minimze those opportunities.)

(we)... have no other defense than to huddle together and wait out who will survive...
    You think you're being sarcastic, but (and again) that's exactly right! We - you and I and the Devs and other players and (with the rare exception) our parents and loved ones and neighbors - don't have any other defense! This is not a forum full of immunologists and molecular biologists and such, "we" are not finding a cure - it's "just us folks", the average* person.

(* loosely speaking, no offense to readers)

...we have the ability to build, discover and create strategy.
    So... you're including yourself in that group? Tell me about this ability of yours, the WHO needs you! Otherwise, back to the previous statement - "we" - you and me and others not in the lab - we do not have any other ability available to us than to wait it out and hope for the best.

But fortunately, others in our society (and generally outside this forum audience) do have that ability - and they are working on it. But unless/until they get there (as I stated above), we, those who cannot directly fight this on a medical level, have to do exactly what you are throwing a tantrum against - get real, hunker down, calm down, and wait it out. That's all we can do.

Or walk your talk and go get a degree in microbiology and go discover and create that strategy and find a solution; you certainly have some time on your hands.

Is anyone else following the various concerns about how electromagnetic stress is hurting the immune system? Unfortunately some people are equating a direct link between the microwaves of 5G and the virus whereas an indirect link seems more accurate. Numerous sites have tried to dismiss this by claiming that research has not found any problems with EMFs. They also dismiss claims of the damage of 5G by noting that no direct health damage has been found when in fact none has been researched!

The human body has not had the time to evolve to defend itself against the effects of transmitters every 100 feet in the neighborhood blasting folks with continuous waves.

Again, it is not causing the virus but seems to be detrimental. Why is this important to note? Because we will have similar difficulties with immunity when other viruses come along if we are continuously exposed.

Food for thought. Dismiss it at your own risk. I, however, want to be able to choose whether these things are mounted near my house or not and I am not given the choice.
    Wiki dashboard with some useful stealthplay links
    Proud Knight Templar of the Silver Legion, Cannith: Saekee (main; epic completionist); Parked Toons: Katwoemyn (10), Saelegion (4), Alitirala (eventually 17)
    wounded and burnt from many mistakes and still stumbling!

Community Member

Didn´t the dude also get his head in the toilet for some of these above reasons?
    O M N I P R E S E N C E
    J i c h a e l
    -&- D i l l i n j a h
    DDO Anthem.

I have never seen this movie and I feel obscurely ashamed.
    Blood Scented Axe Body Spray (Thelanis)
    Aelonwy - Wydavir - Metaluscious - Aertimys - Aelyrra - Kaelaria - Lunaura - Aelurawynn - Saurscha - Crystalorn - Aurvaeyn - Vaelyns - Wyllowynd

Quote Originally Posted by Saekee View Post
    Is anyone else following the various concerns about how electromagnetic stress is hurting the immune system?...
    One of the more interesting conspiracy theories points out a pattern w/ implementation of 5G and Covid. China, New York... hrmmm...

That may be extreme, but on the more conservative side...

My sis is a doc, and she firmly believes there ~could~ be a correlation between emf's and health problems. She has moved all electric devices away from her bed at night - no radio, no charger, nothing that is active. It's over 1/3 of our life, after all.

Bottom line - as you point out, no one "knows", because its the sort of thing that could take generations to prove. But if it's easy to avoid, why not avoid it?

Quote Originally Posted by Aelonwy View Post
    Certainly above "cult" quality, but it has a cult-like power to it. If you ever find some time on your hands, it'd be worth a watch.

I have never seen <The Dude> and I feel obscurely ashamed.

CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dog View Post
    One of the more interesting conspiracy theories points out a pattern w/ implementation of 5G and Covid. China, New York... hrmmm...

That may be extreme, but on the more conservative side...

My sis is a doc, and she firmly believes there ~could~ be a correlation between emf's and health problems. She has moved all electric devices away from her bed at night - no radio, no charger, nothing that is active. It's over 1/3 of our life, after all.

Bottom line - as you point out, no one "knows", because its the sort of thing that could take generations to prove. But if it's easy to avoid, why not avoid it?

Certainly above "cult" quality, but it has a cult-like power to it. If you ever find some time on your hands, it'd be worth a watch.
    This! I do not see this as conspiracy—just the hunger for tech easy run amok without sufficient testing and in truth it does not require generations to know that it is destructive. Already parts of people’s bodies are heating up near these networks but this too has been dismissed, which is insane. The body heats up under extreme conditions such as fighting viruses and does this in bursts; what happens when someone is constantly subject to these conditions?
    There are sites and initiatives online by doctors and health professionals opposing 5G but sadly the whacky people sites have precendence.

Do you trust that new technology is sufficiently researched? If so, why? The people putting it out have no incentives to do so. They want to compete and boast of coverage and profits. The regulatory agencies have been gutted and rules made lax; the current administration of the US just dumped emission standards, to give you an idea of priorities. Anyone under the illusion that scientists, doctors and the gov’t are there objectively assessing this stuff is under severe disillusionment. No conspiracy—just unfounded trust & complacency
    Wiki dashboard with some useful stealthplay links
    Proud Knight Templar of the Silver Legion, Cannith: Saekee (main; epic completionist); Parked Toons: Katwoemyn (10), Saelegion (4), Alitirala (eventually 17)
    wounded and burnt from many mistakes and still stumbling!

Quote Originally Posted by Saekee View Post
    This! I do not see this as conspiracy—
    YOU may not see it as a conspiracy but there are PLENTY of nut-jobs out there who do.

https://www.the-sun.com/lifestyle/te...eory-whatsapp/

Hi Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Arkat View Post
    YOU may not see it as a conspiracy but there are PLENTY of nut-jobs out there who do.

https://www.the-sun.com/lifestyle/te...eory-whatsapp/
    That whole thing is just [redacted]ing insane. It's hard to believe that it is being believed...

That whole thing is just [redacted]ing insane. It's hard to believe that it is being believed...
    A lot of these same people are homeschooling their kids. That's the real scary/depressing part.

Hi Welcome

Community Member

shame shame shame on you. if you can´t dance too!

seriosuly.. you can only hate this if u hate fargo and the three billlboards flick.....'
    O M N I P R E S E N C E
    J i c h a e l
    -&- D i l l i n j a h
    DDO Anthem.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123