Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Covid-19 PSA

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by myliftkk_v2 View Post
    Hmmm, less then the ethnic/religious minorities of Europe?

5g + Covid-19 theory is garbage and sourced to one reported article in Denmark where the guy was just speculating wildly.

Louis would have been jealous of Rockefeller or Carnegie, not today's rich. They are paupers compared to them.
    Louis had far more power then the globalist of today due to sheer wealth and control of army. The Globalist might bomb a city or two but conquering and violating a nation to the degree of him... just nah.. its more subversive these days... you also forgot the most prominent of deceivers. Hint: he who bought Britain at their peak, Napoloeon era...
    O M N I P R E S E N C E
    J i c h a e l
    -&- D i l l i n j a h
    DDO Anthem.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by LavidDynch View Post
    From my point, you guys, as in US, seemed to have at least taken measures against this - -- whatever it is... our government followed UK-line instead of the asian-lines (see s. korea) which pretty much killed the virus with pure strict politics. Our neighbour-country Finland followed Korea and shutdown their capital, their death toll is 6 people, ours is beyond 400 now and counting.... ppl are walking around like nothing is happening. but not all.... today it was sunny, and the streets was empty, even without the govs saying anything... Easter (like x-mas in Sweden) in my family is sadly canceled due to this virus.

0.0005% of the ppl I´ve seen in sweden are wearing masks, in Asia those numbers were 80% (I was in Thailand 3 weeks ago). They had no cases of this flu on their isles so far... they are testing ppl everywhere. your not allowed to enter the hotels if you got fever. Lasers to forehead confirmed. I approved.

Don´t blame Trump, he is just a puppet like Obama was..
    Sweden is going to be a fascinating B scenario in one of the A/B tests in this event. The primary problem with the Swedish approach is it negates the value of time. Time is what gives us the opportunity to understand that the disease can act more like altitude sickness induced hypoxia and should not be treated like a formulaic ARDS situation. That oxygen levels are a rough cudgel for requiring ventilation (this is what my well-respected endo doc friend finds most likely), and that a individualized physiological approach should be used.

We will find out if that approach is wise.

If the earlier warnings are true, the US will have taken one of 3 positions:

1. Politicians were warned early and they ignored the warnings because they were ill-equipped to understand them.

2. Politicians were warned early and they ignored the warnings because they could not determine how to act on them without revealing how deep their hooks were into the Chinese official structure (often this is how methods/sources get redacted from published intelligence documents). I personally favor this option, but possibly because similar responses were described during the period where the CIA owned that Swiss cryptography firm and sold gear to other countries which basically gave it unfettered intelligence access.

3. Politicians were warned early and they simply hoped things would not get bad.

None of those, or combinations thereof reflect very highly on the US decision-makers who had information.

Community Member

0.0005% of the ppl I´ve seen in sweden are wearing masks, in Asia those numbers were 80% (I was in Thailand 3 weeks ago). They had no cases of this flu on their isles so far... they are testing ppl everywhere. your not allowed to enter the hotels if you got fever. Lasers to forehead confirmed. I approved.

Don´t blame Trump, he is just a puppet like Obama was..
    L.A. mask wearing is maybe 50/50. The government has waffled on them, and finally come down in favor.

Contrast Indonesia w/ Thailand. They are doing no testing, claimed they had no cases until they were forced to admit it's established there, and it's going to rip through one of the heaviest populated countries. There are going to be lots of permutations of responses and we'll see in 6-18 months which end up being "successful" and which end up less so.

Trump what me and others like to call high-variance. Neither were puppets, but Obama was what I would call low-variance. Thus the difference.

Let's make sure we avoid making our posts political, which is expressly against the ToU.

I know that medical policies, recommendations and advertised "facts", and the political entities driving those, are often interconnected, but let's stick to the one and not discuss the other, for better or worse. No names, no cheerleading, no finger pointing, even if some deserve one or the other.

Or this thread will simply get locked. And that's not productive on any level.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by myliftkk_v2 View Post
    L.A. mask wearing is maybe 50/50. The government has waffled on them, and finally come down in favor.

Contrast Indonesia w/ Thailand. They are doing no testing, claimed they had no cases until they were forced to admit it's established there, and it's going to rip through one of the heaviest populated countries. There are going to be lots of permutations of responses and we'll see in 6-18 months which end up being "successful" and which end up less so.

Trump what me and others like to call high-variance. Neither were puppets, but Obama was what I would call low-variance. Thus the difference.
    I confirmed strict testing, in Bangkok I was tested at the airport, the small shoppingmall and the hotel, they have since long - compared to the western world - banned ppl from attending crowded events. Lasers to forehead was not a joke. Are you calling me a liar?

edit. I´m kind of scared of my own incompetent govn. Its virtually impossible to find a mask in sweden, all sold out. Still there is a microscopic part of the population wearing them.. I ordered 10, 2 months ago when I first heard of the virus. I got one, which I sent to my dad -- he wouldn´t stand a chance against a virus like this ..
    Last edited by LavidDynch; 04-10-2020 at 03:54 AM.
    O M N I P R E S E N C E
    J i c h a e l
    -&- D i l l i n j a h
    DDO Anthem.

I got one, which I sent to my dad - he wouldn´t stand a chance against a virus like this ..
    Masks are not designed to protect the wearer. Think about it - when a surgeon puts on a mask, who is s/he protecting?

Masks are like a permanent handkerchief over your mouth - when you cough/sneeze/spray it, it keeps it contained. When breathing "in", the suction tends to pull anything right through/around most barriers. Masks are meant to protect others, not the wearer. (You want protection for yourself, you go face mask, a quantum upgrade.)

They ~do~ protect the wearer ~a little~ - so it's not a completely wasted effort - just so everyone is clear on their design and intent. You (mainly) wear a mask out of consideration for others, not out of fear of them.

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

I confirmed strict testing, in Bangkok I was tested at the airport, the small shoppingmall and the hotel, they have since long - compared to the western world - banned ppl from attending crowded events. Lasers to forehead was not a joke. Are you calling me a liar?

edit. I´m kind of scared of my own incompetent govn. Its virtually impossible to find a mask in sweden, all sold out. Still there is a microscopic part of the population wearing them.. I ordered 10, 2 months ago when I first heard of the virus. I got one, which I sent to my dad -- he wouldn´t stand a chance against a virus like this ..

I'm sure the part in red is valid, but I don't understand it. What do you mean by that?

Also, if anyone is unable to get a proper mask and isn't able to sew one for themselves, here's a silly link that's actually useful:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W_x...g#action=share

How to make a Ninja mask out of a regular tshirt with zero sewing. It isn't as good as a "real" mask, but it still fulfills 90% of the function of the facemasks that people wear to keep themselves from sneezing on other folks. Also, you are 100% guaranteed to not touch your face without realizing it when you are wearing a ninja mask. The fact that it's silly doesn't make it less effective.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    Remember when the monk handwrap melee range was larger than swords?
    Wiki dashboard with some useful stealthplay links
    Proud Knight Templar of the Silver Legion, Cannith: Saekee (main; epic completionist); Parked Toons: Katwoemyn (10), Saelegion (4), Alitirala (>17), Naerfelka (>21)
    wounded and burnt from many mistakes and still stumbling!

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dog View Post
    They ~do~ protect the wearer ~a little~ - so it's not a completely wasted effort - just so everyone is clear on their design and intent. You (mainly) wear a mask out of consideration for others, not out of fear of them.
    For this specific virus, masks have a secondary benefit that is really important. Most people touch their face pretty often without realizing it. Wearing a mask won't stop you from touching your face entirely, but it will be a big help in keeping you from touching your face without realizing.

Since so many of the infections come from touching your eyes/nose/mouth after contaminating your hands, keeping your hands off your face except after you have washed (or at least sanitized) your hands will significantly reduce your chances of contracting the virus.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

A sobering infographic video that shows very plainly how Covid-19 is not like other epidemics we have experienced in recent history.

Link
    “Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.” ~ Mark Twain

Community Member

Masks are not designed to protect the wearer. Think about it - when a surgeon puts on a mask, who is s/he protecting?

Masks are like a permanent handkerchief over your mouth - when you cough/sneeze/spray it, it keeps it contained. When breathing "in", the suction tends to pull anything right through/around most barriers. Masks are meant to protect others, not the wearer. (You want protection for yourself, you go face mask, a quantum upgrade.)

Fairly sure the people, as in medical staff, who are wearing rubbergloves and GASMASKS! literally the same masks I used while doing service, are doing this for their protection.

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    I'm sure the part in red is valid, but I don't understand it. What do you mean by that?

Also, if anyone is unable to get a proper mask and isn't able to sew one for themselves, here's a silly link that's actually useful:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W_x...g#action=share

How to make a Ninja mask out of a regular tshirt with zero sewing. It isn't as good as a "real" mask, but it still fulfills 90% of the function of the facemasks that people wear to keep themselves from sneezing on other folks. Also, you are 100% guaranteed to not touch your face without realizing it when you are wearing a ninja mask. The fact that it's silly doesn't make it less effective.
    They have this new thing like out of bladerunner for me, that looks like ray-gun, that measures your body temperature on the spot.. they shoot it on your forehead. sure glad they didnt use the good old ways like my grandma did to me, stick a thinghy in your hiney...
    O M N I P R E S E N C E
    J i c h a e l
    -&- D i l l i n j a h
    DDO Anthem.

A sobering infographic video that shows very plainly how Covid-19 is not like other epidemics we have experienced in recent history.

Link
    Wow.

Posted on Facebook.

Thanks for sharing.
    "A wise person chooses the right road; a fool takes the wrong one." - Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    Hi Welcome

Link

And yet, no zombies.

Man... My recruiter said there'd be zombies.
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies

Quote Originally Posted by cdbd3rd View Post
    And yet, no zombies.

Man... My recruiter said there'd be zombies.
    I would counter by saying the real zombies here are the pundits and talking heads on the 24hr news channels and inpolitical office. Of every stripe and political lean.

The time for partisanship ended the moment this was declared a pandemic. And yet those brainless fools on both sides can't get over themselves long enough to realize that it's no longer about sides. It's about us all. It's not about blame, it's about prevention and slowing the spread. Sadly, these idiots are going to cause more damage than any other kind of zombie we've seen yet - if they haven't already.
    “Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.” ~ Mark Twain

Also:

Community Member

I would counter by saying the real zombies here are the pundits and talking heads on the 24hr news channels and inpolitical office. Of every stripe and political lean.

The time for partisanship ended the moment this was declared a pandemic. And yet those brainless fools on both sides can't get over themselves long enough to realize that it's no longer about sides. It's about us all. It's not about blame, it's about prevention and slowing the spread. Sadly, these idiots are going to cause more damage than any other kind of zombie we've seen yet - if they haven't already.
    Is it just me or have the whole "PC -thing" just not been an issue during these last month of stress. Humans being bored turned PC into what it really is or was and COVID-19 proved it so.. pointless drama, with horrible outcome for some....

edit: we have what I believe is a unique thing in our country; a forum (much like this) without moderation where 1/8 of the population are members (about a million +). Nornally ppl discuss this PC or that PC... and other stuff too ofc.. but COVID-19 is surely the new black...
    Last edited by LavidDynch; 04-10-2020 at 11:28 AM.
    O M N I P R E S E N C E
    J i c h a e l
    -&- D i l l i n j a h
    DDO Anthem.

Fairly sure the people, as in medical staff, who are wearing rubbergloves and GASMASKS! literally the same masks I used while doing service, are doing this for their protection.
    That is exactly what I said. The gasmasks are a step up from the "masks" we're talking about.

They have this new thing like out of bladerunner for me, that looks like ray-gun, that measures your body temperature on the spot.. they shoot it on your forehead...
    The working part is not actually a laser, altho' a low-wattage laser pointer is incorporated for aiming. It's called an "infrared thermometer", and it's not new, been around for decades. They're obviously more expensive than more traditional types, and only used when "non-invasive/non-contact" is important. Used in Africa during Ebola outbreaks at checkpoints.

Used for a wide variety of purposes - e.g. checking ceiling ventilation systems, and professional car racing teams use them to check tire temperature on diff parts of a tire after a few laps, see if the wear is even.

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    How to make a Ninja mask out of a regular tshirt with zero sewing...
    If you're going to do this, look for a heavier cotton material, something more for sweatshirts than t-shirts. Hold it up to the light to see if you can see light through it - if you can, it's too porous - or use multiple layers.

Community Member

I said contrast your experience in Thailand with their neighbor Indonesia.

Responses are all over the map, even between neighboring countries (like they are with states here, to a lesser degree now). It's not just Sweden who is a variant.

Community Member

That is exactly what I said. The gasmasks are a step up from the "masks" we're talking about.

If you're going to do this, look for a heavier cotton material, something more for sweatshirts than t-shirts. Hold it up to the light to see if you can see light through it - if you can, it's too porous - or use multiple layers.
    A P100 respirator would be a step up from the N95 masks everyone is talking about. They aren't gas masks per se (those would be a step above P100s) because their filters aren't generally that sensitive and don't often cover the eyes, but they do provide 99.8% filter on particulate matter vs 95% on the N95. Someone areosolizes Covid-19 in a room where you are wearing an N95... you are probably still catching it because 95% vs a cloud of virus is still a cloud of virus.

Most people can handle wearing a N95 or low quality mask and best benefit is as you and others have said, to restrict outbound clouds of virus the wear might generate. Someone at one of the Ivies released a fascinating video of a model of particulate clouds generated in a grocery when someone coughs one aisle over.

A P100, or a true gas mask, requires a negative pressure check to verify seal, and to be honest, P100s **** the **** up out of your face if you wear them for long periods of time (I use mine when refinishing old factory equipment into furniture using sanders, MEK, and other harsh solvents/urethanes).

Community Member

To quote Westworld, "People get stuck in their loops and can't get out".

Citizens deserve a good share of the blame here. We installed lots of signalers in office everywhere and very few signal in the noise reader types. We can't really expect old dogs, new tricks, metaphor not to hold true here. Also, humans are generally terrible about rewarding people who foresee and prevent new bad outcomes (as opposed to fix them once they happen). This is really a constant across the risk management field in the commercial sector and through government (aka always fighting the last war).

Irrespective of leadership, Covid-19 is going to create mountains of A/B experimental data from which if we want to do better next time, we could bother to stop and learn lots from it if we choose to.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast