Community Member

Default I haven't found any definitive THF Paladin builds. Help!

Hey all,

Decided to do a Paladin life after grinding three Drow past lives on my main character. The toon has only ever been a wizard when it comes to Heroic past lives, so my past life feats aren't grand. That being said, I did a Bladeforged paladin, and I'm struggling through mid-20s epics now.

So, basics -

STR maxed, rest of my points distributed as desired (con, wis, cha). +8 tome.

I took -

Power Attack
    Two Hand Fight, ITHF, GTHF
    Imp Crit Slashing
    Precision (which I took on advice in another thread here, now that I'm in epics)

My Ehancement spread is

KoTC - 42 (Sunder, Extra Smites, the whole line of Favored Weapon bonuses, Cleaves, Divine Might (3), Second Strikes (3), Charge (3), Healing Amp and all the T5 options.

Sacred Defender - 12 (First two cores, plus PRR bonus in stance, Armor/Max Dex bonus, and the +2 Str).

Bladeforged - 27 (Healer's Friend, Tactics, Reconstruct, Adamantine Body, Soulbound plating, All cores)

I've switched between a bunch of ED's, can't seem to find the happy spot there (perhaps this is the advice I'm looking most for). I don't have a lot of extra fate points (25?). I can take a 4, 2, 1, or a 3, 3, 2 or something similar.

Gear -

Weapon - Thunderforged with 1st Degree Burns
    Docent/Neck/Hands - All in the Family (sharn)
    Boots - Epic Steelweave (it's got Dodge, Electric resist, electric absorb)
    Eyes - Several options (Collective Sight, Sharn Goggles of various sorts)
    Wrists - Hallowed Castigators (for the Insightful PRR/MRR)
    Rings - +10 Str ring from Keep, Reconstruct ring from Sharn
    Cloak - City's Champ
    Neck - I have the level 21 combat neck from Keep (Accuracy, alacrity, etc) if I decide to break my set.
    Head - Umber Brim
    Trinket - Red Dragon Scale Trinket

I don't do the greensteel thing. I've literally never been able to figure out how the **** to navigate making the thing you want, even with an online builder ap. It's just too confusing.

So, the problem is that I'm taking far too much incoming damage. My current thought is to spend the next few crappy levels (the mid 20s are ****) doing Sword and board, maybe swapping power attack out for Bastard Sword to make use of my feats or something. I tried twisting in Concercation, and it was an OK healing boost (but not great). I typically solo Elite difficulty because anything less is a complete waste of time XP wise.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Montegue View Post
    So, the problem is that I'm taking far too much incoming damage.
    So you need to AoE instant kill and stun as much as possible at the start of fights, so ideally one would be a max charisma strength secondary PDK CKT THF GS user for tactics and hitbox on Holy Ret and dire charge/stunning blow/trip. Then cleanup with Confront Any Foe.

You are also in heroic gear in EE, probably need to upgrade to epic gear from borderlands and crafted gear.
    Last edited by Tilomere; 03-13-2020 at 10:49 AM.

Community Member

Your build is all over the place and unfortunately you picked one of the worst races for Paladin. Just tough it out until you can TR and go something that doesn't' give you -50% to your self heals and lets you wear heavy armor without imposing enhancement / feat penalties.

Generally the common THF style build follows this format.

These are before racial bonus's / penalties. You want a +3 tome to get DEX to 13 by level 3.
    STR: 18
    DEX: 10
    CON: 14
    INT: 10
    WIS: 8
    CHR: 16

1: THF
    3: Precision
    6: ITHF
    9: Imp Crit Slashing
    12: GTHF
    15: Force of Personality
    18: Quick Draw / Deity Weapon Damage / Anything you want
    21: Overwhelming Crit
    24: Bulwark / Anything you want
    26: PTHF
    27: Haste / Anything you want
    28: PTWF
    29: Dire Charge
    30: Aboral

Gear will chance based on level but generally Part of the Family and Adherents of the Mist is good for heroics, into epics your going to want to pickup some +Strength / DoubleStrike / +Ins Strength at level 21.

KotC is 41~42 points
    Sacred Defender is another ~30 points
    The rest is racial or into bonus extra's you might want.
    There are two primary Epic Destinies you will run in, but for the love of god get them all capped and Epic Completionist.

Legendary Dreadnaught = Primary DPS tree, hits hard and gives free Haste Boost, Extra Action Boosts and Extra DC's for Holy Retribution.
    Divine Crusader = Hybrid DPS tree, gives good DPS options with un-nerfed healing in reaper and group healing via Consecration. Only need one in a group doing reaper.

Using this template I've been able to run a Paladin through over a dozen lives, several dozen if we count all the eTR's I used Paladin to get.
    Illustration of a Gnome Inquisitive!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZTBt7oar9w

I feel your pain. My first paladin life ended up "sword and board" even though I wanted THF...
    Picking a bladeforged and attempting to solo up to 30..... not the easiest way to get the past life.

I typically solo Elite difficulty because anything less is a complete waste of time XP wise.
    That is your mistake, in my opinion. Zerging through Hard or Normal can get you better XP/Min than dragging yourself through Elite.... try it. Accept that maybe you could have done something better, different race etc... and try to bring this behind you. Or buy an Ottos box...

Or alternatively open a group?

It is not going to get easier.
    kruemeli of Orien - Leader of the "Merry" Hobbits https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...20#post5002220
    It is okay to be "merry": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjOOKb-DFZs
    I just Keep quiet and think.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYP8M06A8W0

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by palladin9479 View Post
    Your build is all over the place and unfortunately you picked one of the worst races for Paladin. Just tough it out until you can TR and go something that doesn't' give you -50% to your self heals and lets you wear heavy armor without imposing enhancement / feat penalties.

Generally the common THF style build follows this format.

These are before racial bonus's / penalties. You want a +3 tome to get DEX to 13 by level 3.
    STR: 18
    DEX: 10
    CON: 14
    INT: 10
    WIS: 8
    CHR: 16

1: THF
    3: Precision
    6: ITHF
    9: Imp Crit Slashing
    12: GTHF
    15: Force of Personality
    18: Quick Draw / Deity Weapon Damage / Anything you want
    21: Overwhelming Crit
    24: Bulwark / Anything you want
    26: PTHF
    27: Haste / Anything you want
    28: PTWF
    29: Dire Charge
    30: Aboral

Gear will chance based on level but generally Part of the Family and Adherents of the Mist is good for heroics, into epics your going to want to pickup some +Strength / DoubleStrike / +Ins Strength at level 21.

KotC is 41~42 points
    Sacred Defender is another ~30 points
    The rest is racial or into bonus extra's you might want.
    There are two primary Epic Destinies you will run in, but for the love of god get them all capped and Epic Completionist.

Legendary Dreadnaught = Primary DPS tree, hits hard and gives free Haste Boost, Extra Action Boosts and Extra DC's for Holy Retribution.
    Divine Crusader = Hybrid DPS tree, gives good DPS options with un-nerfed healing in reaper and group healing via Consecration. Only need one in a group doing reaper.

Using this template I've been able to run a Paladin through over a dozen lives, several dozen if we count all the eTR's I used Paladin to get.
    Thanks! This is super helpful. Can you give me some guidance as to what you typically take in Sacred Defender? Most of it looks so shield-oriented I've only invested a little bit. What do you typically take in Devine Crusader, and what do you avoid in Legendary Dreadnought?
    Last edited by Montegue; 03-13-2020 at 12:22 PM.

Community Member

Thanks! This is super helpful. Can you give me some guidance as to what you typically take in Sacred Defender? Most of it looks so shield-oriented I've only invested a little bit. What do you typically take in Devine Crusader, and what do you avoid in Legendary Dreadnought?
    Vanguard is the shield focused one, defender is the general purpose defense / survivability orientated tree.

I usually solo R1 from post-Korthos to 30, if I group I insist we start at R1 or higher difficulty or I drop and solo it instead. This is because after the XP adjustments, R1 gives the best first time completion bonus when combined with bravery bonus.

For Sacred

All Cores up to the 18th level one Glorious Stand, it gives a but load of defensive bonus's along with more LoH use's.
    T1: Durable Defense 3/3, Extra Lay on Hands 3/3
    T2: Bulwark Aura 3/3, Resilient Defense 3/3
    T3: Strong Defense 3/3, Resistance Aura 3/3, Charisma +1 (one of the last things I take to get to the 30 point requirement for core 18)
    T4: Swift Defense, Reinforced Armor 3/3, Tenacious Defense (before epics) / Hardy Defense (after I get EDF) 3/3, Charisma +! (again one of the last things I chose to hit 30 points)

Adding up all the cores and bonus's from the tree gets you a big pile of defensive power along with self healing and a little bit of offense (speed / strength). My normal sequence is I put points in KoTC until level 8, then I put level 8 and 9 points into Sacred Defender to get he basic PRR/MRR and LoH, then the rest into KoTC until level 12 or 13 when I've gotten all the T5's, then all into Defender until I hit the level 18 core with 30 points spent. Normally this is the end of heroics as you won't take 19 and 20 until your ready to TR or go epic. If I go epic I then reset the defender points to change from +20% HP to +6 Con when I get EDF. Spare points at the end usually go into something useful in the racial tree's.

I use Paladin so much precisely because it's do **** hard to kill and solo's very well. Hirelings are useful for post-combat healing, they will die if you bring them into a fight so instead keep them stationary back in the beginning or in a shrine room and only summon them after a hard fight to top you back off so you don't waste your own resources. LoH should be your mid-battle "I shall not die" move. Right now at level 13 I have something like 141 Heal Amp, when I hit 15 it's going to hit 180 or 190, and then when I get into epics it's going to sky rocket until it's close to 300 at cap. This means LoH and CMW / CSW heal for a lot even at Reaper 1 difficulty, at elite they are full heals.

:Edit:

Ok epics,

Legendary Dreadnought

Tier 1
    Legendary Tactics 3/3
    Extra Action Boost 3/3
    Strength +1
    Tier 2
    Momentum Swing 3/3 (this depends on your style, I like having it but others don't use it, your choice)
    Strength +1
    Tier 3
    Action Boost Haste 3/3 (critical as it's amazing for any DPS that doesn't get it naturally)
    Tier 4 (not much here, we're really just trying to qualify for T5 and 6 now, I might of had to spend points on critical mastery to get there)
    Unusual Tactics
    Tier 5
    Advancing Blows
    Devastating Critical
    Tier 6
    Master's Blitz (Resistance)

That should take care of those points.

Divine Crusader is a lot more interesting.

Tier 1:
    Purge the Wicked
    Strength +1
    Endless Turning 1/3 (your going to have one spare point you need to spend so this seemed like a good place for it)
    Tier 2:
    Confront Any Foe (this is strong but limited, at cap it gets godly overpowered)
    Consecration
    Strength +1
    Tier 3:
    Sacred Ground
    Strength +1
    Tier 4:
    No Regret
    Crusade
    Tier 5:
    Castigation
    Celestial Champion (+1 crit threat range)
    Tier 6:
    The Book of War: Wrath of the Divine (+10 damage with favored weapons, your using those right ... right)
    Strike Down (Jesus cleave)

Now there is a lot packaged up in there, DC was made for Melee clerics and just happens to combine perfectly with KoTC Paladins. Confront any Foe and Strike Down are really strong DPS abilities, Consecration heals everyone standing on it along with giving them +10% damage, No Regret heals everyone for HP based on the CR of the monster that died, and isn't reduced in reaper. This means if a CR30 monster dies somewhere near you, then everyone in the area gets (30 * Heal Amp) restored. By itself it's not much, but multiply it by the sheer hordes of monsters you fight and it's basically full healing everyone in the area every fight. The only requirement is that your Aura be turned on and you be in the general vicinity, which you will be since your swinging a giant sword hitting those monsters.

The play style with DC is a bit different, you want to rush into a group of monsters and drop a Consecration circle, stand on that circle and beat everything to death with No Regret giving you HP as each things dies. A group of melee's with a DC KoTC Paladin in their middle is effectively immortal.
    Last edited by palladin9479; 03-13-2020 at 01:13 PM.
    Illustration of a Gnome Inquisitive!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by palladin9479 View Post
    Vanguard is the shield focused one, defender is the general purpose defense / survivability orientated tree.

I usually solo R1 from post-Korthos to 30, if I group I insist we start at R1 or higher difficulty or I drop and solo it instead. This is because after the XP adjustments, R1 gives the best first time completion bonus when combined with bravery bonus.

For Sacred

All Cores up to the 18th level one Glorious Stand, it gives a but load of defensive bonus's along with more LoH use's.
    T1: Durable Defense 3/3, Extra Lay on Hands 3/3
    T2: Bulwark Aura 3/3, Resilient Defense 3/3
    T3: Strong Defense 3/3, Resistance Aura 3/3, Charisma +1 (one of the last things I take to get to the 30 point requirement for core 18)
    T4: Swift Defense, Reinforced Armor 3/3, Tenacious Defense (before epics) / Hardy Defense (after I get EDF) 3/3, Charisma +! (again one of the last things I chose to hit 30 points)

Adding up all the cores and bonus's from the tree gets you a big pile of defensive power along with self healing and a little bit of offense (speed / strength). My normal sequence is I put points in KoTC until level 8, then I put level 8 and 9 points into Sacred Defender to get he basic PRR/MRR and LoH, then the rest into KoTC until level 12 or 13 when I've gotten all the T5's, then all into Defender until I hit the level 18 core with 30 points spent. Normally this is the end of heroics as you won't take 19 and 20 until your ready to TR or go epic. If I go epic I then reset the defender points to change from +20% HP to +6 Con when I get EDF. Spare points at the end usually go into something useful in the racial tree's.

I use Paladin so much precisely because it's do **** hard to kill and solo's very well. Hirelings are useful for post-combat healing, they will die if you bring them into a fight so instead keep them stationary back in the beginning or in a shrine room and only summon them after a hard fight to top you back off so you don't waste your own resources. LoH should be your mid-battle "I shall not die" move. Right now at level 13 I have something like 141 Heal Amp, when I hit 15 it's going to hit 180 or 190, and then when I get into epics it's going to sky rocket until it's close to 300 at cap. This means LoH and CMW / CSW heal for a lot even at Reaper 1 difficulty, at elite they are full heals.

:Edit:

Ok epics,

Legendary Dreadnought

Tier 1
    Legendary Tactics 3/3
    Extra Action Boost 3/3
    Strength +1
    Tier 2
    Momentum Swing 3/3 (this depends on your style, I like having it but others don't use it, your choice)
    Strength +1
    Tier 3
    Action Boost Haste 3/3 (critical as it's amazing for any DPS that doesn't get it naturally)
    Tier 4 (not much here, we're really just trying to qualify for T5 and 6 now, I might of had to spend points on critical mastery to get there)
    Unusual Tactics
    Tier 5
    Advancing Blows
    Devastating Critical
    Tier 6
    Master's Blitz (Resistance)

That should take care of those points.

Divine Crusader is a lot more interesting.

Tier 1:
    Purge the Wicked
    Strength +1
    Endless Turning 1/3 (your going to have one spare point you need to spend so this seemed like a good place for it)
    Tier 2:
    Confront Any Foe (this is strong but limited, at cap it gets godly overpowered)
    Consecration
    Strength +1
    Tier 3:
    Sacred Ground
    Strength +1
    Tier 4:
    No Regret
    Crusade
    Tier 5:
    Castigation
    Celestial Champion (+1 crit threat range)
    Tier 6:
    The Book of War: Wrath of the Divine (+10 damage with favored weapons, your using those right ... right)
    Strike Down (Jesus cleave)

Now there is a lot packaged up in there, DC was made for Melee clerics and just happens to combine perfectly with KoTC Paladins. Confront any Foe and Strike Down are really strong DPS abilities, Consecration heals everyone standing on it along with giving them +10% damage, No Regret heals everyone for HP based on the CR of the monster that died, and isn't reduced in reaper. This means if a CR30 monster dies somewhere near you, then everyone in the area gets (30 * Heal Amp) restored. By itself it's not much, but multiply it by the sheer hordes of monsters you fight and it's basically full healing everyone in the area every fight. The only requirement is that your Aura be turned on and you be in the general vicinity, which you will be since your swinging a giant sword hitting those monsters.

The play style with DC is a bit different, you want to rush into a group of monsters and drop a Consecration circle, stand on that circle and beat everything to death with No Regret giving you HP as each things dies. A group of melee's with a DC KoTC Paladin in their middle is effectively immortal.

I just ran around in Von1 with this version of Crusader, and it was a *lot* more stable. Thank you!