Community Member

Default Solo Friendly Tank/Caster Favored Soul Build. Need help with ideas!

Hi there, so as the title states, I'm looking for a solo friendly tank/caster favored soul that can take some hits and kind of stand in the front lines while also doing mainly spells as damage. I also wouldn't mind it being somewhat viable in reaper group play once I get some reaper points and some extra pastlives under my belt. I'm not super great at making my own builds when it comes to hybrid playstyles. I just really like tank casters that use shields and haven't been able to think of any ways to do so with favored soul as I just recently picked it up.

Thanks!
    Last edited by firepool; 03-04-2020 at 05:29 AM.

Community Member

Honestly a straight FvS is really good for leveling and group reaper play as long as it's well geared. Getting the Sunbolt SLA at level 3 or 4 is a REALLY big deal for heroic leveling and self heals will be legit no matter what. Doesn't really matter too much whether you choose wisdom or cha as main stat, though for level cap you can argue that wisdom is superior given Mass Frog in certain non-Doom/Vengeance spawning situations.

Not gonna take the time to write up a build but some basic things to shoot for...

1. Choose a solid Deity Weapon so you can still get a lil melee damage when you need it
    2. Max/Quicken/Empower are your first 3 feats, you'll also want Evo focus at some point so you can twist in DC stuff post-20.
    3. Max out Evocation DC for Sunbolt/Soundburst and later on get some Conjuration for Cometfall (Macabre Sceptre free weapon from Ravenloft is a great offhand at lvl 10 for this)
    4. Max out Light spellpower/crit and then Force later on when you get Cometfall, Blade Barrier, and the Cometfall SLA.
    5. Keep the entire party topped up at all times. If someone is at 95% hp then put them back at 100%.
    6. For epics/lvl cap if you're a bit undergeared and struggling to really land your DC spells in groups then take the capstone in Beacon of Hope for uber healing, keep at least tier 4 of AoV.
    7. The healing wall is amazing, cheap, and super effective.
    8. You'll probably run in Exalted Angel epic which has a nice aoe heal that can be max/empowered and all that but twisting in Renewal from US is always a good idea.
    9. Shoot for the Flamecleansed Fury set from Sharn, both heroic and legendary.
    10. Don't ignore your Necro DC's and Destruction once you're geared well enough to land the others.
    11. Implosion is still amazing.
    12. While leveling take the HP feat, Stout of Heart (level 8?)I think it's called. It's a free 300hp by level 30 and will likely serve you much much better than extra spellpoints.

Honestly though get good at landing your spells and you'll not have to worry about your defense too much even when soling. Again, a fully meta'd Sunbolt with good gear behind it is basically an instakill in heroics.

are you aiming for epic play or just heroics?
    Wiki dashboard with some useful stealthplay links
    Proud Knight Templar of the Silver Legion, Cannith: Saekee (main; epic completionist); Parked Toons: Katwoemyn (10), Saelegion (4), Alitirala (eventually 17)
    wounded and burnt from many mistakes and still stumbling!

Community Member

The other thing to remember if you want to cast Divine damage spells is that they are not hindered by spell failure from armor and shields. So taking Heavy Armor proficiency and scrolling Master's Touch for an offhand Tower Shield is perfectly in bounds with the notion of a Divine/Caster Tank.

You can get very good DR, PRR and MRR from the right Heavy/Tower combinations and that's half the battle to staying alive with raw HP tending to be most of the rest.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Saekee View Post
    are you aiming for epic play or just heroics?
    For sure Epics as well. I feel heroics are pretty easy and can get away with almost any build for the most part.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by KoobTheProud View Post
    The other thing to remember if you want to cast Divine damage spells is that they are not hindered by spell failure from armor and shields. So taking Heavy Armor proficiency and scrolling Master's Touch for an offhand Tower Shield is perfectly in bounds with the notion of a Divine/Caster Tank.

You can get very good DR, PRR and MRR from the right Heavy/Tower combinations and that's half the battle to staying alive with raw HP tending to be most of the rest.
    Hmm, ok I might look into that. Forgot divine casting doesn't have a spell failure so something like that might actually work. Thanks for the reminder!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Emerge2012 View Post
    Honestly a straight FvS is really good for leveling and group reaper play as long as it's well geared. Getting the Sunbolt SLA at level 3 or 4 is a REALLY big deal for heroic leveling and self heals will be legit no matter what. Doesn't really matter too much whether you choose wisdom or cha as main stat, though for level cap you can argue that wisdom is superior given Mass Frog in certain non-Doom/Vengeance spawning situations.

Not gonna take the time to write up a build but some basic things to shoot for...

1. Choose a solid Deity Weapon so you can still get a lil melee damage when you need it
    2. Max/Quicken/Empower are your first 3 feats, you'll also want Evo focus at some point so you can twist in DC stuff post-20.
    3. Max out Evocation DC for Sunbolt/Soundburst and later on get some Conjuration for Cometfall (Macabre Sceptre free weapon from Ravenloft is a great offhand at lvl 10 for this)
    4. Max out Light spellpower/crit and then Force later on when you get Cometfall, Blade Barrier, and the Cometfall SLA.
    5. Keep the entire party topped up at all times. If someone is at 95% hp then put them back at 100%.
    6. For epics/lvl cap if you're a bit undergeared and struggling to really land your DC spells in groups then take the capstone in Beacon of Hope for uber healing, keep at least tier 4 of AoV.
    7. The healing wall is amazing, cheap, and super effective.
    8. You'll probably run in Exalted Angel epic which has a nice aoe heal that can be max/empowered and all that but twisting in Renewal from US is always a good idea.
    9. Shoot for the Flamecleansed Fury set from Sharn, both heroic and legendary.
    10. Don't ignore your Necro DC's and Destruction once you're geared well enough to land the others.
    11. Implosion is still amazing.
    12. While leveling take the HP feat, Stout of Heart (level 8?)I think it's called. It's a free 300hp by level 30 and will likely serve you much much better than extra spellpoints.

Honestly though get good at landing your spells and you'll not have to worry about your defense too much even when soling. Again, a fully meta'd Sunbolt with good gear behind it is basically an instakill in heroics.
    Yeah, I've played around with pure fvs nuker caster for a little bit and its very strong. But I'm more looking for an actual Tank/Caster. One that specializes in a shield and hp but uses spells to deal it's damage and take aggro etc if that could even work. Why I'm asking on the forums ^_^

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by firepool View Post
    Yeah, I've played around with pure fvs nuker caster for a little bit and its very strong. But I'm more looking for an actual Tank/Caster. One that specializes in a shield and hp but uses spells to deal it's damage and take aggro etc if that could even work. Why I'm asking on the forums ^_^
    I don't know how well you can really build to be tanky and still do decent spell stuffs since most of each are more gear related than anything. 17FvS/3Paladin is solid, though 17cleric is probably better for the 9th level spells. I run a low life 16FvS/4Druid tanky (4100hp/260ac/250prr/190mrr/240amp/125intim) heal bear for random stuff but it has pretty much zero dps outside of a couple garbage light spells and is absolutely not fit for soloing.

Could always go for a PM/EK type of thing too. I know it's wizard rather than FvS but they're pretty easy to get a hyper defense on while still putting out some spell/melee deeps. If healing others is a concern just twist in Renewal for epics.

Centre of the Universe-ish, winterland version

I know you said Favoured Soul, but I think Cleric might be a bit better for tankiness. You get the same spells and Cleric Domains, several of which give you good defensive options that you can't get with FVS levels. Luck, Protection, and maybe Strength are the ones I'm specifically thinking of.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Emerge2012 View Post
    I don't know how well you can really build to be tanky and still do decent spell stuffs since most of each are more gear related than anything. 17FvS/3Paladin is solid, though 17cleric is probably better for the 9th level spells. I run a low life 16FvS/4Druid tanky (4100hp/260ac/250prr/190mrr/240amp/125intim) heal bear for random stuff but it has pretty much zero dps outside of a couple garbage light spells and is absolutely not fit for soloing.

Could always go for a PM/EK type of thing too. I know it's wizard rather than FvS but they're pretty easy to get a hyper defense on while still putting out some spell/melee deeps. If healing others is a concern just twist in Renewal for epics.
    Thanks for the ideas! I might actually look more into the 17fvs/3pal. Seems like it could be fun and actually be what I'm looking for.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mercureal View Post
    I know you said Favoured Soul, but I think Cleric might be a bit better for tankiness. You get the same spells and Cleric Domains, several of which give you good defensive options that you can't get with FVS levels. Luck, Protection, and maybe Strength are the ones I'm specifically thinking of.
    Not a bad idea, I look deeper into what clerics and favored souls have in common and if they are somewhat similar I might run with cleric instead as you suggested. Thanks!

Community Member

The defenses available to a Divine caster/tank are really strong. The problem is that AE Divine spell damage is weak compared to Arcanes and single-target Divine damage spells don't scale all that well into epics and reaper difficulty. You can do the Sun Bolt thing, with the appropriate feats and destiny and it feels really strong at cap until you run into the mobs that are Light-shielded/immune and then it really feels like a one-trick pony.

The alternative is to be an Insta-killer and that is strong if you build it right. It is mostly single-target and also has a significant number of foes that are immune. It also has some aggro problems since it does not radiate damage and threat the way a constant flow of damage does. You have Implosion on a long timer, Greater Command to make a lot of mobs sit down and chill and even Cometfall as a secondary source of aggro and CC although not as effective against foes that have high reflex saves.

I tried a Flaming Cleric as a tank and found it really strong in heroics, middling to poor in epics and useless at the 30 cap in that role. Tons of fire damage that was very strong until she ran into fire immunes and then she was just an ok healer.