Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Is it really Hardcore?

How is it hardcore when you can buy +8 tomes in the store, +5 skill tomes in the store, pots for leveling in the store, and astral shards for gold roll XP in the store?

Sounds more like STORE-core

Quote Originally Posted by Justicesfury View Post
    How is it hardcore when you can buy +8 tomes in the store, +5 skill tomes in the store, pots for leveling in the store, and astral shards for gold roll XP in the store?

Please go ahead and do all those things and find out if that makes things easy or not.
    Danskerne
    A Danish Guild on Ghallanda. Send PM if interested.
    Leading Raids Thursdays from 20 CET and Sundays from 21 CET.

Yeah, feel free to buy up those things on each character you play on HC! I'm certain they could use the extra funding!

You buy all that and still die rolling a 1 or dyeing to lag or some other mistake you make. But in reality, only fools and people with too much money do that. People are dyeing every minute on hardcore and having to roll another toon. So I don't think the majority of people are buying there way to 20.
    Darkwinn, Milkus, Terismina, Gothmawg, Dreylock, Drunarah, Bigbhamboo, etc on Sarlona / Brixlynn, Mofus, Curgoth, Deidlit, etc on Ghalanda.

Community Member

At about 6000 XP/1 USD I doubt there is much gold rolling being done.

Community Member

Some people are definitely spending shards and gold. Saw a level 27 roll by yesterday.

That said, I've spent nothing, not even the free DDO pts. But, have managed to level up two different toons, one to 7 and other to 10 with no deaths.

Figured I'll play until my first death, then quit and go back to my alcy on Gland.

2016 DDO Players Council
    Resident Blue Dragon
    Hero of the Flame

Quote Originally Posted by mikarddo View Post
    Please go ahead and do all those things and find out if that makes things easy or not.
    I got a +7 supreme ability tome for a level 11 character I had because I was planning on using him on my main server later anyway. It didn't help much at all and he died shortly after in a trap.

Oh well, I am enjoying him on Thelanis.

If you die, do you lose the character and have to start over?

Then yes, it's hardcore.

All this whining about store purchases is pretty sad.

And before you start whining about me: I do not, have never, and will never play on the hardcore server. Completely uninteresting.
    Kobold sentient jewel still hate you.

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

It doesn't bother me that people can buy their way to extra power and gold-roll their way to level 20. Sure, it devalues the accomplishments because the "accomplishment" of getting to level 20 on Hardcore was actually just buying your way there, but if people want to buy their trophies, I guess that's okay.

It does bother me when people later try to pretend that DDO isn't pay to win.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZTBt7oar9w

Try an Experiment?
    Buy the stuff… and win.

Let us know how many tries it takes.
    kruemeli of Orien - Leader of the "Merry" Hobbits https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...20#post5002220
    It is okay to be "merry": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjOOKb-DFZs
    I just Keep quiet and think.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYP8M06A8W0

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    It doesn't bother me that people can buy their way to extra power and gold-roll their way to level 20. Sure, it devalues the accomplishments because the "accomplishment" of getting to level 20 on Hardcore was actually just buying your way there, but if people want to buy their trophies, I guess that's okay.

It does bother me when people later try to pretend that DDO isn't pay to win.
    The problem is they really don't have enough leaderboards. They need to add more leaderboards

• Biggest Spender - reward Shamu pet
    • Most Time Gold Rolling - reward floating dice head cosmetic
    • Most levels skipped - reward skipping emote
    • Most deaths via different traps - reward blindfold head cosmetic
    • Fast and Futile - fastest death after purchasing store power - burning pile of coin pet

Really if they wanted to make hardcore league more entertaining, they need to get creative about the various leaderboards and offer some ignoble categories for fun cosmetics and pets.
    Last edited by myliftkk_v2; 02-24-2020 at 11:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by myliftkk_v2 View Post
    The problem is they really don't have enough leaderboards. They need to add more leaderboards

• Most Time Gold Rolling - reward floating dice head cosmetic
    • Most levels skipped - reward skipping emote
    • Most deaths via different traps - reward blindfold head cosmetic
    • Fast and Futile - fastest death after purchasing store power - burning pile of coin pet

Really if they wanted to make hardcore league more entertaining, they need to get creative about the various leaderboards and offer some ignoble categories for fun cosmetics and pets.

I actually like a couple of those.
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies

nothing to see
    Last edited by bls904c2; 02-24-2020 at 11:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by myliftkk_v2 View Post

Shamu pet. Please make this happen.

Community Member

Thanks captain obvious. This isn't news.

Don't complain that people are funding development of the game you play.
    Toon on cannith

Quote Originally Posted by capsela View Post
    Thanks captain obvious. This isn't news.

Don't complain that people are funding development of the game you play.
    The funding is cool.

The method of funding is problematic.

When you see a company build a wall and sell you a ladder to let you bypass that wall, DON'T BUY THE LADDER IF YOU WANT THEM TO STOP BUILDING WALLS. There's nothing wrong with paying SSG for things you want. There's a lot wrong with throwing money at a company in response to that company doing dumb things while giving you an paid option to not do the dumb things.
    And that is beautiful
    And that is beautiful

Disagree I know many who acheived their goals on the HC server (several with the level 20, 5000 favor and 20 RP tier) who didn't spend any money on it at all. I know several others who did use the store but only for XP pots.

Myself the only thing I spent cash on was a cosmetic (first ever cosmetic) and some mirrors because damned if my Dwarf Barbarian doesn't look good in a top hat and tails!

I also know some players who did spend stupid amounts of money and in most cases those toons ended up dead. In fact most had lost several toons before I lost my first one.

So yeah, I'd say it's pretty hardcore, more so if you actually bought tomes and the like and still croaked. And before the silly pay to win arguement shows up they didn't really "win" anything. Name on a leaderboard that the vast majority of players (event those concerned with having their name on it) can't remember. If that's winning then **** then I say let them spend money all day long to "Win". Keeps me from having to pump cash in to keep the lights on!

How do we know he is not also funding the game ?

(Alt posters doesnt prove they dont know or do not fund the game)

Quote Originally Posted by SiliconScout View Post
    Disagree I know many who acheived their goals on the HC server (several with the level 20, 5000 favor and 20 RP tier) who didn't spend any money on it at all. I know several others who did use the store but only for XP pots.

Myself the only thing I spent cash on was a cosmetic (first ever cosmetic) and some mirrors because damned if my Dwarf Barbarian doesn't look good in a top hat and tails!

I also know some players who did spend stupid amounts of money and in most cases those toons ended up dead. In fact most had lost several toons before I lost my first one.

So yeah, I'd say it's pretty hardcore, more so if you actually bought tomes and the like and still croaked. And before the silly pay to win arguement shows up they didn't really "win" anything. Name on a leaderboard that the vast majority of players (event those concerned with having their name on it) can't remember. If that's winning then **** then I say let them spend money all day long to "Win". Keeps me from having to pump cash in to keep the lights on!
    "I don't value the thing that they won, so it doesn't actually count as winning." -SiliconScout
    And that is beautiful
    And that is beautiful

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    "I don't value the thing that they won, so it doesn't actually count as winning." -SiliconScout
    A very enlightened view, indeed.
    Toon on cannith

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast