Default What happened to the controller keymapping?

I've been away for some time, but got that itch again and HCL (didn't catch the first go around), so I'm back. However, I noticed some issues as soon as I started to play! I'm a controller user, so I might be rare, not sure. I had a controller setup that allowed me to do pretty much everything in the game. That has changed!

I can still map controls to the controller, but, now, I cannot map a button to both an action-oriented task AND a dialogue task. You can have the same keys on KB assigned to things like "move forward/downward" and up/down on dialogues (up or down arrow for both), but I cannot have up-hat assigned to move up on dialogue and hotkey 2 on whatever bar I'm using at the time? The keymapping used to allow this, was just finicky about having the mouse cursor over the dialogue window (if it wasn't, it would try to use the action on the hotkey, instead of whatever for the dialogue)

That sort of makes it a nightmare to use the controller, since there simply aren't enough buttons to map with. Oddly, the KB, having a TON more options, still uses keys repetitively, so it's allowed for the KB, despite more keys, but not the controller, which has to use a modifier key to access enough buttons.

Also, z-axis - (right trigger) is still not showing up when selected to map to perform actions. It works, just doesn't show up.

My main problem is that somewhere along the lines, you guys changed it to where controllers cannot map a single button to multiple actions that occur in different contexts (combat vs dialogue). I understand, perhaps, the concept was preventing macros or something, but talking to an NPC and fighting are two different things, and it is allowed for KB users to do it, so why not controllers?

Community Manager

Anecdotally I have had some issues recently getting my Dualshock 4 to work with the new 64 bit client in that I was not able to key map the left stick. I don't know where the bug is, but my suspicion is we have to look at the XInput connections to the game.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter Pinterest
    Join us on Twitch!
    Hello from Standing Stone Games! Facebook Twitter
    For Support: https://help.standingstonegames.com

I know the game, historically, has never liked actual Xbox controllers, and that's ok. I'm using an off-brand which has always worked, though. The left analog is working fine for mine. But, I want to be able to use B for cancel, and B for exit dialogue, as well as use the D-Pad for up/down in dialogues and for hotkeys. It's the way I've always had it. I do left = 1, up = 2, right = 3, down = 4, and modifier plus those for 5-8. Modifier plus ABXY gives me 4 hotbars. That way I can have 32 hotkeys. But, because they somehow changed stuff in the code, now I cannot use same buttons for different contextual things.

Main reason I'm irked by this? DDO has always been the premier-best-top of the line for controller-keymapping. It's odd, because a lot of games out there are built to be moved to console, so they include controller stuff, but don't do it anywhere as well as DDO always has. So, just erg! lol