Community Member

Default Amber Temple Weirdness

Hello all, trying to master this dungeon with some success provided i don't go higher than EH. Today i tried to complete the "strahd challenge" where a bunch of critters try to kill you, and you get an extra chest - and i appeared to succeed, and the blue barriers dropped. The optional did not complete tho, and i thought one of the critters had run off (except that shouldnt happen if the barriers are up, i think). It's been a bit laggy - is this sort of thing caused by it?

I notice that sometimes while doing this on EH, and extra small chest spawns on me, presumably because i killed something - today i got TWO of them (this is in addition to the one normal locked chest, and the extra from strahd's challenge, and they are bigger chests). I've noticed this *sometimes* when killing the big ogre guarding barrett, again only on EH not EN, and only sometimes. Can someone give me a clue as to what's happening with these random small chests?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Community Member

Thank you Mindos - the chest thing makes sense now

However, the wiki about amber temple, with which i am very familiar, doesn't yield any info (that i can see) if you complete the quest and the optional, kill the badguys, strahd departs and the 2nd chest appears, and the barriers drop, and the options doesn't update to 'completed' - which is presumably why i cannot unlock either final chest.

I'll just exit, and hope it doesn't happen again, i suppose - but i am not so arrogant as to think this hasn't happened to anyone else -which is why i'm asking about it here.

Quote Originally Posted by enksun View Post
    Thank you Mindos - the chest thing makes sense now

However, the wiki about amber temple, with which i am very familiar, doesn't yield any info (that i can see) if you complete the quest and the optional, kill the badguys, strahd departs and the 2nd chest appears, and the barriers drop, and the options doesn't update to 'completed' - which is presumably why i cannot unlock either final chest.

I'll just exit, and hope it doesn't happen again, i suppose - but i am not so arrogant as to think this hasn't happened to anyone else -which is why i'm asking about it here.
    Going to the central North hallway, you will enter the library. On the North bookcase is a secret door (Legendary Elite 62 DC) that has three Amber Sarcophagus. The North one contains the vestige of Zhudun needed to complete the optional for Kasimir. Kasimir will run back into the library and cast a Dimensional Door and take you into a room to resurrect his sister, Patrina Velikovna (in some cultures, surnames get a gender-specific suffix). Giving her the password to the library (Maverus) will trigger an event where Strahd appears. Patrina betrays her brother and in return Strahd betrays Patrina. If you have Drawn Strahd's Attention, Strahd will then summon several vampiric ex-adventurers and deadly sin ghasts. Defeating them will yield two chests with named loot in one of them. If you have not Drawn Strahd's Attention, there is only the one chest with named loot.

So if you've done that, the chests should be unlocked? If you complete this fight and the chests are still locked, then I would guess its bugged?
    Last edited by Mindos; 02-23-2020 at 08:42 AM.

Community Member

It's not uncommon for several of the mobs to spawn towards the other half of the library. This has happened numerous times for us and simply walking over and finishing off the last few mobs has always completed the optional.

You also need to complete the primary objective of the dungeon which is unrelated to fighting Strahd.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mindos View Post
    Going to the central North hallway, you will enter the library. <snip> So if you've done that, the chests should be unlocked? If you complete this fight and the chests are still locked, then I would guess its bugged?
    Thanks again, yes i have never done amber temple w/out drawing strahd's attention - chest junkie. Your conclusion that it's bugged seems logical :P But this is a popular quest, i thought - i wondered if other's had experienced the blue barriers dropping w/out the optional completing. ALso, the 1st chest i always presumed was for giving the raven thing to eva and completing the quest - but that chest did not unlock when i did. Looking to *avoid* this in future - and i have no clue why it happened.

There's some mention of "killing 10" on the boards that i'm still trying to work out - i'm too busy there to actually count em :P

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fauxknight View Post
    It's not uncommon for several of the mobs to spawn towards the other half of the library. This has happened numerous times for us and simply walking over and finishing off the last few mobs has always completed the optional.
    You also need to complete the primary objective of the dungeon which is unrelated to fighting Strahd.
    Yeah, i'm on top of that :P The barriers have never been dropped when this has happened to me previously - killing them drops them! But i'd never willingly complete the quest before the optional, i've read too much about bugged optional xp.

Community Member

Hmm, maybe the quest was bugged from the beginning - i remember that i had to speak to the female dusk elf twice to get it going (where you tell her about mavernus). I assumed it was just laggy today.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by enksun View Post
    There's some mention of "killing 10" on the boards that i'm still trying to work out - i'm too busy there to actually count em :P

Amber Temple was a popular destination to cheese out high reaper xp, since completion is entirely about finding objects rather than fighting anything. If you want your reaper XP though you still have to kill at least 10 mobs before completion, so the hardest objective is picking which 10 mobs to kill (on r10 the proper picks is vital).

This may or may not be of any help, but in order for the second chest to unlock, the events must play out in the correct order. AFAIK finishing the quest, or talking to the sarc of zudun before getting 100% of strahd's attention, will break the chain and prevent the objective from completing properly and thus deny you the second chest.

I will have to go in and test this further to determine exactly what will break the chain of events (it's been a while since I went for it so I don't remember exactly what can break it, but when I have some free time in a few days I may go in and run it a few times to see what breaks it and what doesn't)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by vryxnr View Post
    This may or may not be of any help, but in order for the second chest to unlock, the events must play out in the correct order. AFAIK finishing the quest, or talking to the sarc of zudun before getting 100% of strahd's attention, will break the chain and prevent the objective from completing properly and thus deny you the second chest.

I will have to go in and test this further to determine exactly what will break the chain of events (it's been a while since I went for it so I don't remember exactly what can break it, but when I have some free time in a few days I may go in and run it a few times to see what breaks it and what doesn't)
    You get a whopping chunk of xp for just clicking on every amber tomb except zudun's - i'd notice if it didn't happen and it didn't this time. The chest DID spawn, but it's good to know what NOT to do However, i've done this quest a number of times exactly the same way (get passwords, pick up raven, never talk to eva even to get her card vision, do the tombs, don't bother with skeletons, outlook and liche and treasure rooms, and lastly, zudun, challenge, and eva) - this is the first time the barriers dropped with the chests not unlocking AND eva's chest not unlocking.

If monsters get close to the dimension door they'll go through.

Might be more to kill on the other side.

Community Member

The DDoor vanished with the barriers, but that makes sense! I'll try to reproduce it heh. Just to clarify my last post: i DID get the xp for all the tombs. Reproducing might be painful - EH is my newb limit here, and that last fight is tough if i can't line em up.

Community Member

Problem hasn't recurred yet, and the next run gave me a pair of the named boots in each final chest - so i forgive the quest, even tho i do not have four feet.