Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default I feel like I was scammed

As a paying customer, I purchased the Inquishior tree to make my character more powerful. I used my credit card to buy DDO store points and bought the tree, after buying it I was very happy as it was just as it had looked. But here lately it was changed. I read the forum post and it seems that it was considered OP by other players. Now I do not know if these other players had purchased it or not. I know I spent my real money to get it as it displayed in game. Now it seems the Devs have reduced the damage I was capable of doing to make those players who felt it was too powerful happy. Scam me once, shame on you, scam me twice....well you know where I'm going with this. If we are all supposed to be equal, then I misunderstood. I have canceled my VIP subscription and will play as a free to play account, as the Devs intended. I still do not understand why the game owners would want everyone to play for free, but I suppose they have thier reasons. I guess they made the free to play accounts happy by reducing the damage my character could do. So, now that we are all equal, I will suck it up and deal with it. To be honest, I will look for another game where my money will be useful.

I have read the replies to this comment and I am not saying the Inqu tree wasn't very good, even OP. No one was forced to use it and this isn't a pvp game so why is character balance important? I prefer to run solo as apposed to waiting or forming a group. I still don't understand why my game play must be changed to meet yours. I understand there are different aspects of the game others like and I don't hold that against them. To each his own. There was a mention of $1500 a month and I never spent more than a few hundred a month. I didn't care for the ranger class so I bought the otto packs and jumped through those 3 lives. I have been the player who felt, if there is a problem, through money at it. I'm not complaining that they fixed a bug, in fact, I'm all for that. I am, however, complaining of the bait and switch business model. I'm sure playing as a free-loader will be just as fun. I have purchased all the packs and am sure I can continue to enjoy playing my way. I just hope that come the end of year bonus time when the check is a few dollars short, they will think of me for a split second and remember the trust they lost.
    Last edited by Coojos; 02-22-2020 at 04:29 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Coojos View Post
    As a paying customer, I purchased the Inquishior tree to make my character more powerful. I used my credit card to buy DDO store points and bought the tree, after buying it I was very happy as it was just as it had looked. But here lately it was changed. I read the forum post and it seems that it was considered OP by other players. Now I do not know if these other players had purchased it or not. I know I spent my real money to get it as it displayed in game. Now it seems the Devs have reduced the damage I was capable of doing to make those players who felt it was too powerful happy. Scam me once, shame on you, scam me twice....well you know where I'm going with this. If we are all supposed to be equal, then I misunderstood. I have canceled my VIP subscription and will play as a free to play account, as the Devs intended. I still do not understand why the game owners would want everyone to play for free, but I suppose they have thier reasons. I guess they made the free to play accounts happy by reducing the damage my character could do. So, now that we are all equal, I will suck it up and deal with it. To be honest, I will look for another game where my money will be useful.
    Inq is just fine. I just rolled a new one and I'm not seeing that big a difference. For some reason people seem to think that we play against each other. We don't. Yes, inquisitive took a little bit of a hit. But it still buzzes through mobs quite easily.

First, inquisitor is just as OP at low levels, and still maybe the most powerful ranged at high levels.

Second, you're a game company, you release a new thing, it's mediocre, some people like it some people don't, average sales. OR you release a new thing, extremely powerful, so many people like it and the ones that don't hate it because it's TOO powerful, so they end up giving it a whirl anyway. I think even from a human perspective I like it more, it's kind of just a trick though but most online games release a new thing, then nerf it 6 months later once the sales piter out.

Third, us VIP's paying 15$ a month isn't whats funding the game, it's the people spending 1500$+ a month, buying cosmetics and potions and ottos boxes, they just get a big influx of money if they release something new and cool rather than new and balanced.

Finally, you haven't even played inquisitor, before when it was extremely powerful, and now when you'll find it nearly just as powerful.
    Lillentle, the smaller Lentle

Community Member

Default actually

I have played an Inqu. for 8 or 9 lifes, I did the rangerx3 to boost it, as well as others to work toward completionist.

Community Member

Default It's DDO of course you were scammed

You are playing a game that markets itself as free to play, than does nothing but try to get people to spend money to play it. That is the free to play business model isn't it?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Justicesfury View Post
    You are playing a game that markets itself as free to play, than does nothing but try to get people to spend money to play it. That is the free to play business model isn't it?
    Free to Play is not free. dont confuse the two, its just a trial run, to hook ya, even premium player get shafted. and they got everything, so dont assume that its free to play means you get far, maybe to lvl 10 perhaps if you lucky after that you gota buy adventure packs cos you not getting anywhere after that, so dont bother unless you willing to commit time and money

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Redtalktree View Post
    Free to Play is not free. dont confuse the two, its just a trial run, to hook ya, even premium player get shafted. and they got everything, so dont assume that its free to play means you get far, maybe to lvl 10 perhaps if you lucky after that you gota buy adventure packs cos you not getting anywhere after that, so dont bother unless you willing to commit time and money
    So maybe it should say free trial by that theory?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Justicesfury View Post
    So maybe it should say free trial by that theory?
    Yup, who can honestly say they went from 1-20 on free to play quests?

Community Member

You didn’t pay the price you enjoyed the price, You Stated it made you very happy as most temporary things do temporarily. Before you get too down just thought I’d let you know for a small purchase a 1495 and a little bit of testing/research/Observing you once again can be very happy with the most effective tactic available Temporarily

Tip: mix old/new.
    Last edited by goboluz; 02-20-2020 at 09:15 PM.

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edgarallanpoe View Post
    Inq is just fine. I just rolled a new one and I'm not seeing that big a difference. For some reason people seem to think that we play against each other. We don't. Yes, inquisitive took a little bit of a hit. But it still buzzes through mobs quite easily.
    You’re not seeing that big a difference because you’re in Heroics and everything is overpowered in Heroics. Even Paladins pre-U45 did just fine in Heroics (seriously, they were crazy good from 12 to 19). Once you hit Epics, you’ll see the difference between U44 Inquisitives and U45 Inquisitives.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    Even Paladins pre-U45 did just fine in Heroics (seriously, they were crazy good from 12 to 19). Once you hit Epics, you’ll see the difference between U44 Inquisitives and U45 Inquisitives.
    Except inquisitive isn't from U44, it is from update 42. Between 42 when released and 45 epic destinies were revamped very favorably for ranged, a raid was added with a raid level inquisitor weapon, heroic and epic named crossbows were added including in soul splitter chain and borderlands, inquisitor bugs were fixed, purifying quiver was bugfixed, ranged high reaper damage penalties were reduced, ranged attacks like wrack construct which stopped movement were reworked to allow better kiting, a new arrowhead trinket was added to allow better kiting, filigrees like shattered device and shards of mechanus were fixed to work, artifacts were made widely available outside of raids boosting ranged power, bravery bonus and reaper xp was changed so you could do reaper dungeons 2 levels higher, stay frosty was bugfixed, and last and least bears could be damaged with ranged weapons without running up to activate them first.

Yes, they got nerfed in 45, but it just put them back where they were at 42.

The net result is that inquisitive between 42 and 45 are about overall where they started, so if you bought it at 42, you still have about what you paid for.
    Last edited by Tilomere; 02-20-2020 at 09:38 PM.

Community Member

In short you dont go 1-20 on f2p quests. By lvl 10 you will have more than enough points to buy the sands pack. Completing that and the few other f2p quests between then and lvl 14 will give you enough to buy gianthold. Between that and the rest of the f2p quests you have enough xp(with a fair bit of grinding) to get to 20 on a 1st life toon. You then farm Lod till your eyes bleed to get enough tokens to TR.

Next life you pick up Vale and possibly a cheap but high fav pack like catacombs. lvl 20 though is still a bit grindy due to the xp increase but still not too much of a challenge.

Next you take your 2nd character you can make as a f2p and do the same. Each life you buy 1 or 2 more packs. By the time you have got your 1st 3 lives done on both characters you have more than enough content to go 1-20 quickly and can save for your epic destinies. After that its just plain sailing.

The best thing about this game imo is you really don't have to pay for anything except the xpacks. Everything else can be bought with the store points you get for actually playing the game! The only thing you pay for is convenience.

Now I don't know about you but personally I can't think of any other game with as good (for the player at least) f2p model.

Oh and to answer your actual question 2 of my friends, my daughter and my younger brother all played as f2p for several years each. All of them had more than 3 lives on their main characters. 2 from that list did buy the 1st 3 xpacks after a while though not so much as they felt they needed them but more as token support for a game they were enjoying.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Weemadarthur View Post
    In short you dont go 1-20 on f2p quests. By lvl 10 you will have more than enough points to buy the sands pack. Completing that and the few other f2p quests between then and lvl 14 will give you enough to buy gianthold. Between that and the rest of the f2p quests you have enough xp(with a fair bit of grinding) to get to 20 on a 1st life toon. You then farm Lod till your eyes bleed to get enough tokens to TR.

Next life you pick up Vale and possibly a cheap but high fav pack like catacombs. lvl 20 though is still a bit grindy due to the xp increase but still not too much of a challenge.

Next you take your 2nd character you can make as a f2p and do the same. Each life you buy 1 or 2 more packs. By the time you have got your 1st 3 lives done on both characters you have more than enough content to go 1-20 quickly and can save for your epic destinies. After that its just plain sailing.

The best thing about this game imo is you really don't have to pay for anything except the xpacks. Everything else can be bought with the store points you get for actually playing the game! The only thing you pay for is convenience.

Now I don't know about you but personally I can't think of any other game with as good (for the player at least) f2p model.

Oh and to answer your actual question 2 of my friends, my daughter and my younger brother all played as f2p for several years each. All of them had more than 3 lives on their main characters. 2 from that list did buy the 1st 3 xpacks after a while though not so much as they felt they needed them but more as token support for a game they were enjoying.
    ty am kinda more jaded then i thought, in a way your friends and family is way more hardcore then most VIP, who can get to 20 in less then 1 tenth of your time, it show dedication and time you spent in playing toget all the DO points you need from fAVOR runs, and willing to spend real money on Xpacks to support DDO, now imagine after all that effort even after your bought with real money allthe packs, races, classes and trees, it means nothing. how would you feel?

Community Member

Sorry bud but thing will get nerfed in video games, the idea that once something is sold it can never ever be changed except by making it better is laughable for game balance. Asking for nothing to ever be nerfed is simply not possible and I have zero sympathy for the "muh bait and switch" crowd.

People bought Monk & Warlock too and those got nerfed.

Inquisitive during update 42-44 was the single most powerful build in the entire game, by a massive margin. Only Sorcs could exceed their trash destroying capabilities, and only a tiny handful of specialized melee builds could compare in their insane single target (of which inquisitive had both some of the best burst AND sustained damage).

The fact that inquisitive released as it was, and wasn't nerfed months ago is what's really insane. Warlock didn't have 1/10th the power inquisitive had/has and got nerfed far header relatively.

Also Tilo brought up the good point of the ranged and magic damage changes in reaper resulted in pretty massive buffs for ranged/casters in low-mid skull (which benefited inquisitive and sorc the most).

Not to mention that Inquisitive is still one of the strongest builds in the game at leveling (behind sorc) and still one of the best endgame dps.

When you get such a massive nerf like inquisitive and go from undisputed number 1 dps to 2nd or 3rd best dps that shows just how broken inquisitive is/was, it certianly deserved the nerf a lot more than poor henshin monks who were considered trash tier but got their core melee power butchered because wraps monks and multiclass splits were getting to much out of their tree (then the wraps monks got nerf again anyways months later).

Only thing I didn't like was the IPS nerf but it's not the end of the world like people think, it doesn't apply to sneak attack or imbues anyways so it's basically a sustained dps gain for AA bow builds (hurts their furyshot burst pretty bad, but you can disable IPS before furyshotting)and hardly effects rogue mechanics, repeater builds kinda got screwed though, they're still so much worse than inquisitive it's just sad.

I can't believe you're making me defend SSGs, I really do not like doing this.

Community Member

ty am kinda more jaded then i thought, in a way your friends and family is way more hardcore then most VIP, who can get to 20 in less then 1 tenth of your time, it show dedication and time you spent in playing toget all the DO points you need from fAVOR runs, and willing to spend real money on Xpacks to support DDO, now imagine after all that effort even after your bought with real money allthe packs, races, classes and trees, it means nothing. how would you feel?
    Just to correct a misconception here by the time my daughter stopped playing to go to Uni she was able to solo a life in less than a week (we did 2 3 day 1-30's before she went trying to get her completionist but fell 1 life short lol) but over the 3 years she did play she had accumulated most of the packs and all the classes that were available.

As for the last part of your post I'm not sure what you mean as nothing we have done has ever been nerfed so bad its become unplayable. I had an inquis which got TR'd not long after U45 went live. Sure I noticed a loss in power but it was still more than powerful enough to solo any end game content bar raids. Even my bow ranger (41 DWS 31 AA) which got hit by the nerf bat much harder due to the IPS nerf is still good enough for low lvl reapers. Inquis DPS is still some of the best in the game its just not stupidly high now. So what exactly have you paid for that now means nothing?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by goboluz View Post
    You didn’t pay the price you enjoyed the price, You Stated it made you very happy as most temporary things do temporarily. Before you get too down just thought I’d let you know for a small purchase a 1495 and a little bit of testing/research/Observing you once again can be very happy with the most effective tactic available Temporarily

Tip: mix old/new.
    So, had I purchased a new vehicle, with say a 350 big block and the manufacturer decided, against my will, to come and take it and replace my big block with a 315, I should just accept it and continue to purchase vehicles from them? Not a chance.

2014 DDO Players Council

...I purchased the Inquishior tree to make my character more powerful.
    ...I will look for another game where my money will be useful.
    You specifically are looking for pay-to-win, and freely admit it? OK.

DDO has had increasing amounts of pay-to-win as time goes on, but there has been resistance and backlash to it from the start. You probably really are better off with a game that is designed as pure pay-to-win from the start and that doesn't have a noticeable portion of it's community opposed to pay-to-win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    As a general rule we don't intend for a single spawn area to cause any dungeon alert, and certainly not red dungeon alert. This basically isn't ever a goal in our designs

2014 DDO Players Council

I bet it's doable. I got to level 15 on just F2P quests back around 2009-10, before 15 more F2P quests got added in the level 12-17 range got added, and before multiple XP changes that have made leveling up way easier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    As a general rule we don't intend for a single spawn area to cause any dungeon alert, and certainly not red dungeon alert. This basically isn't ever a goal in our designs

Community Member SpartanKiller13's Avatar

So, had I purchased a new vehicle, with say a 350 big block and the manufacturer decided, against my will, to come and take it and replace my big block with a 315, I should just accept it and continue to purchase vehicles from them? Not a chance.
    So, had you purchased a vehicle with a 350 big block (IDK what that is but I assume bigger is better) and they upgraded it to a 375, then a 450, and then a 480 and finally replaced it with a 350 you kinda can't complain that it was better for a while lol. If they hit it to a 360 or 340 instead either cool or aww, but it's not like Inquisitive went from a well-balanced ranged build to trash-tier; it went from #1 strongest to pretty strong.

Tilo put it quite well; paraphrased:

Quote Originally Posted by Tilomere View Post
    Between U42 when released and the U45 nerf epic destinies were revamped very favorably for ranged, a raid was added with a raid level inquisitor weapon, heroic and epic named crossbows were added including in soul splitter chain and borderlands, inquisitor bugs were fixed, purifying quiver was bugfixed, ranged high reaper damage penalties were reduced, ranged attacks like wrack construct which stopped movement were reworked to allow better kiting, a new arrowhead trinket was added to allow better kiting, filigrees like shattered device and shards of mechanus were fixed to work, artifacts were made widely available outside of raids boosting ranged power, bravery bonus and reaper xp was changed so you could do reaper dungeons 2 levels higher, stay frosty was bugfixed, and last and least bears could be damaged with ranged weapons without running up to activate them first.
    -Khysiria of Cannith
    Quote Originally Posted by zehnvhex View Post
    Warlock is basically a ghetto Shiradi Sorc. You gives up some of the damage and self sustain for the ability to just hold down left click and yolo blast your way to victory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    It's DDO. There are probably 6 different types of Evil damage.

me

it's not even that difficult with all the first time bonuses we get these days, n/h/e and whatever festival is happening gets the job done. Weemadarthur's point is correct that it's easy to buy a pack or two with that favor, since this was an alt account i didn't bother with that until later though

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast