Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Save our NPCs in the cargo hold

Those of us who have invested time and money and emotions into the NPCs of the cargo hold buffs are seriously upset about DDO ridding the hold of these fun characters. They're just code maybe to some of your coding team but to some of us who have played many years they are familiar faces who deserve some respect and acknowledgement for their time served buffing us.

I'm boycotting the game until you reinstate them please. Whose idea was it to get rid of the hold buffs? It's a really bad idea and loses a lot of the character. I played tabletop because of the emotional attachment to characters - it's not just a strategy game or chess etc. NPCs populate and give character and fun and emotional connection and familiarity. The cargo hold has been my home from home for the past 8 years of playing this game. I can't find a way to complain by email to SSG but it's all very well making this game into a power game trip thing with all the events and so on but some of us play it because we like wandering about, saying hello to the NPCs etc - it's based on a RPG not shoot 'em up but the way it is going it's becoming more of a shoot 'em up and you are forgetting the heart of the variations of D&D. Good roleplaying requires investment in NPCs and the cargo hold buff ones are the heart of our airships. I am very sad at what has happened with the NPCs; I feel this game is losing its heart and taking away the cosy hearth of the airships. It's also the case that I and the guild i am in have invested time and money for years into these buffs and now you remove them without any consideration. Who the heck is making these decisions? Do they understand that D&D is a roleplaying game?

Community Member

Update 45 patch notes:

"Airship Cargo Hold stat buff and resistance amenities are no longer sold. Convenience amenities remain available."

The NPCs are unaffected. Its ONLY the stat and resistance shrines being taken out.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by smokejumper89 View Post
    Update 45 patch notes:

"Airship Cargo Hold stat buff and resistance amenities are no longer sold. Convenience amenities remain available."

The NPCs are unaffected. Its ONLY the stat and resistance shrines being taken out.
    They took out some buff NPCs, like the phiarlan skill buffer and the hobgoblin damage buffer. Only the banker, bar vendor, and I think transporters and such are still available for sale.

Community Member

They should just give your NPCs back without any buffs to hand out. You can then enjoy their company without any balance issues.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by acemonkey View Post
    They took out some buff NPCs, like the phiarlan skill buffer and the hobgoblin damage buffer. Only the banker, bar vendor, and I think transporters and such are still available for sale.
    Oh thats sucks!

They should at least add them back in but remove the buff effects. It was really nice for flavor. That's one thing I miss about the old airships, you really had some creative options for arranging everything so it really felt like a ship. the current big square rooms do not feel like a ship...

2014 DDO Players Council

The NPCs are unaffected.
    False.

Quote Originally Posted by rabidfox View Post
    They should just give your NPCs back without any buffs to hand out. You can then enjoy their company without any balance issues.
    What balance issues arose from the NPCs? Please be specific.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    As a general rule we don't intend for a single spawn area to cause any dungeon alert, and certainly not red dungeon alert. This basically isn't ever a goal in our designs

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by SirValentine View Post
    False.
    Correct. I was wrong about that.

What balance issues arose from the NPCs? Please be specific.
    The stat and resistance buffs were stacking. This meant you could "double dip", IE take a resistance buff from legacy hold buffs AND from the current buff bar. This led to characters in guilds which had these legacy buffs having resistances so much higher than other players that it gave them a very distinct advantage.

"When asked if the developers hate the players, as they make so many challenging jumping puzzles, their response was that they have what they consider a “… normal amount of contempt for the players.” This is good. A dungeon master should always nurse a healthy contempt for his or her players."

2014 DDO Players Council

The stat and resistance buffs were stacking.
    From which NPCs? This thread's OP, and me, are asking about the NPCs, not the resistance shrines.

I don't care about the elemental resistance shrines.

EDIT: Even when the devs talked about the ship changes, they only talked about balance issues with the elemental resist shrines. I still have not heard anyone give any real balance issue with the NPCs. Some of them do give a slightly higher buff than otherwise available, but nothing game-breaking like 30 extra elemental resist at level 1. Having +5 Balance buff instead of +3 (not stacking with each other!), for example, is not a balance issue as far as I can tell.
    Last edited by SirValentine; 02-19-2020 at 09:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    As a general rule we don't intend for a single spawn area to cause any dungeon alert, and certainly not red dungeon alert. This basically isn't ever a goal in our designs

Community Member

Having +5 Balance buff instead of +3 (not stacking with each other!), for example, is not a balance issue as far as I can tell.

Community Member

Default Bank and Bar

It would be nice if we had the bank, bar, and mail on the top deck of the ship but I already have the permanent ones. What would we do about those? I bought the deeds for them. Could we have a place for those on top too? Just curious. It seems like the ships are way too big. There are decks I don't even go on and haven't since I placed the amenities on them years ago. There also seems to be a lot of redundancy in the amenities too, I have empty spaces that I could fill with amenities but they don't add any more buffs to my buff bar.

I understand where you are coming from OP and partially agree with you. I think that they should do something that can include some of both. I have never liked the constant refreshing of vendors/NPCs every 4-5 weeks as it usually puts the burden on just a few guildies as others either forget or just do not pay attention.

Maybe:
    - incorporate all current Cargo hold NPC vendors that are not included in the permanent packages should have one or more created.
    - Add these new packages in a spread across various guild levels this way they are permanent.
    - Resistant buffs - Add them back but make them only buff a character up to the approved level, i.e. 10/20/30 increments.
    - Make the Cargo hold as the OP says a little more cozy. Not just a big ole empty space.
    Fizban - Avatar of Khyber
    Guild Leader of Legends: Where adventurers are born & Legends live.

Community Member

From which NPCs? This thread's OP, and me, are asking about the NPCs, not the resistance shrines.

I don't care about the elemental resistance shrines.

EDIT: Even when the devs talked about the ship changes, they only talked about balance issues with the elemental resist shrines. I still have not heard anyone give any real balance issue with the NPCs. Some of them do give a slightly higher buff than otherwise available, but nothing game-breaking like 30 extra elemental resist at level 1. Having +5 Balance buff instead of +3 (not stacking with each other!), for example, is not a balance issue as far as I can tell.
    We asked about the NPCs repeatedly and heard nothing but crickets. They were a substantial benefit to low level guilds and not a balance issue like the shrines.

Quote Originally Posted by Vandervert View Post
    It would be nice if we had the bank, bar, and mail on the top deck of the ship but I already have the permanent ones. What would we do about those? I bought the deeds for them. Could we have a place for those on top too? Just curious. It seems like the ships are way too big. There are decks I don't even go on and haven't since I placed the amenities on them years ago. There also seems to be a lot of redundancy in the amenities too, I have empty spaces that I could fill with amenities but they don't add any more buffs to my buff bar.
    I disagree with this suggestion. The only thing that I would like to see on top deck is the portal or travel NPCs to be honest. I also have the permanent banking/mail/auction in a lower level which is where it belongs not on top.

Role playing is important adventurers. Not just stack everything in one place because you little pixel legs can't run another 3-5 seconds.
    Last edited by shores11; 02-20-2020 at 07:22 AM.
    Fizban - Avatar of Khyber
    Guild Leader of Legends: Where adventurers are born & Legends live.

They're gone because the hardcore league now dictates what the rest of us do. As such, we're not going to get them back.
    Primary Home: Argonnessen
    Also known as: Archarias, Ishtaris, Arthies, Artharias, Astanius, and Fidgity.
    "Elder brains are a lot like bouncy castles. They just sit there, but if you jump up and down on them, things get interesting real quick." ~FlimsyFirewood

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by HastyPudding View Post
    They're gone because the hardcore league now dictates what the rest of us do. As such, we're not going to get them back.
    I think they are losing the understanding of DDO as a RPG, not a shoot em up.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by shores11 View Post
    I understand where you are coming from OP and partially agree with you. I think that they should do something that can include some of both. I have never liked the constant refreshing of vendors/NPCs every 4-5 weeks as it usually puts the burden on just a few guildies as others either forget or just do not pay attention.

Maybe:
    - incorporate all current Cargo hold NPC vendors that are not included in the permanent packages should have one or more created.
    - Add these new packages in a spread across various guild levels this way they are permanent.
    - Resistant buffs - Add them back but make them only buff a character up to the approved level, i.e. 10/20/30 increments.
    - Make the Cargo hold as the OP says a little more cozy. Not just a big ole empty space.
    I just don't want an empty ship or the amenity bar on the ship being the only place worth going. I like the cargo hold - it's cosy and most people hang out there or by the crafting area floor level when they come to airship. The NPCs were not doing any harm in any way. I just think SSG has lost its heart - it's all power game, hardcore etc whereas some of us used to actually play D&D and love the RPG aspect and have some appreciation for the vistas, the NPCs, the finer nuances and the cosy nooks of taverns etc. Exploring the world and having a beautiful airship with things like the deer that occasionally wander about or the NPCs in the cargohold make DDO a special game. Losing the NPCs is like losing the heart of guild ships imho for those of us who don't just go click/leave.

It's unfortunate that the devs didn't stick to their plan and eliminate legacy buffs when they buffed guild buffs. Or if they would have actually done what we asked for and just made the duration 6 hours. The system that is just ending was the worst of all possible outcomes. Massive elemental resistance and absorption from level 1-30. The legacy buffs weren't extended in duration, so if you needed the 30 resist buffs either because you didn't have the spell or because you weren't high enough level to throw a 30 resist, you still needed to rebuff at the ship every hour. So all that we got was a bunch of power creep and no QOL improvement.

Community Member justfortheforums's Avatar

Default Hardcore

I can't help but believe the change to the cargo buffs are directly because of the HC server. I can not see any other valid reason to remove them. The current state of the game is primarily grinding past lives. So to keep your current player base happy why would you make decisions that hurt them while they progress in the game the only real way they can right now.
    Tassill, Towahn, Teroh.
    Crimson Eagles of Khyber

I made a few proposals on this topic, to be found here.
    “Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.” ~ Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast