Community Member

Default Heroic Alchemist

I've been playing an alchemist (heroic only) with points in VC and VKF. I'm going to try bombardier for my next life. Overall, I'm enjoying it, but that's no big surprise given that I mostly like ranged and caster toons. First, some of the things I like:

• I think you got the power level about right. It's a reasonably strong class, but not so strong that people will be calling for nerfs.
    • The play style feels a lot different than other classes.
    • I really like the pour a potion over your head animation.

There are some problems, though:

• It looks like the wrong version of the release notes was published. There are several things that are just fundamentally wrong. For example:
      • The notes don't list the displacement spell
      • The notes say that hypnotic combination is like hypnotic pattern, but it's like confusion in-game.
      • Toxic tonic is different than what is describe in the notes.
    • Alchemy on the run only work with normal potions, not with alchemist "spells". I assumed that the purpose of the feat was to let you "cast" and run at the same time.
    • Some of the spells take a long time to cast. For example:
      • Displacement takes significantly longer to cast than it does for other classes. This is especially strange since I'm just drinking a potion. I would expect it to be the same speed as drinking a normal potion.
      • The action boost spells are useless. They take 4 seconds to cast and only last 20 seconds, 2 of which you lose to the last half of the casting animation. It's a clear loss of DPS.
    • The in-game descriptions of the greater imbue spells all say that they give vulnerability on vorpal. The description on the weapon when you cast it agrees with the release notes.
    • Melt lock isn't using spellcraft. I had a 77 spellcraft at L15 and wasn't able to unlock anything. I went into some L2 harbor quests and could unlock everything just fine. Also, when I cast melt lock, I don't see anything in the combat log.
    • The wave of poison SLA is listed as ceruleite, but it's actually crimsonite.
    • The VKF T5 enhancements overwrite the imbues from alchemist spells.
    • I can't find alchemist scrolls for sale anywhere outside of the portable hole. I also haven't seen any drop in chests.
    • Switching reaction types takes too long. I don't know if this is intentional or not, but I'm completely ignoring gildleaf spells as a result.

Alchemy on the run is for drinkable potions, like cure serious wounds, remove curse, lesser restoration, eternal flasks, etc. It doesn't affect the 'drink potion' spells that alchemist gets.

Melt Lock is a known issue, I believe. They're working on it.

Alchemist, in general, has poor casting speeds. This needs to be addressed.

The cooldowns are also all over the place. Why does a level 1 short range aoe have a 6 second cooldown but a level 3 long range aoe have a 3 second cooldown? I haven't had the chance to test it yet, but I sincerely hope the mass flesh to gold spell does not have a 90 second cooldown. That's just absurd. There's no reason why other classes can get a mass hold monster with a 6 second cooldown and alchemist has essentially the same spell, but it's touch range and has a 90 second cooldown. Even spellsinger isn't shafted this much with their 20 second cooldown on mass hold.
    Primary Home: Argonnessen
    Also known as: Archarias, Ishtaris, Arthies, Artharias, Astanius, and Fidgity.
    "Elder brains are a lot like bouncy castles. They just sit there, but if you jump up and down on them, things get interesting real quick." ~FlimsyFirewood

I found another bug:

ALCHEMISTS CAN'T TAKE THE IMPROVED MENTAL TOUGHNESS FEAT!!

I guess that also means they can't take epic mental toughness. And, unless I miss my guess, they also can't take epic spell focus (just like on lammania).

This is the third time I've said something about this, including lammania, and they still haven't fixed it. Either this must be a super hard bug to fix (unlikely, since they just switched on other feats that weren't showing up during the previews) or I'm being ignored.
    "Elder brains are a lot like bouncy castles. They just sit there, but if you jump up and down on them, things get interesting real quick." ~FlimsyFirewood

Community Member

Another problem I've been having is that if I try to cast using mouselook (I've only tried this with multivial), the vials land at some point below the reticule. This means that I have to target something if I want to cast accurately, but if somebody kills what I'm targeting, I don't throw the vials. It would be nice if both of these problems were fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by HastyPudding View Post

This is the third time I've said something about this, including lammania, and they still haven't fixed it. Either this must be a super hard bug to fix (unlikely, since they just switched on other feats that weren't showing up during the previews) or I'm being ignored.
    Did you fill out a real bug report? Posts on the forums are liable to be missed or erroneously glossed over, whereas each bug report is looked at by QA.

- Granted, the form continues to be somewhat hard to find. Here's the link:

https://help.standingstonegames.com/...form_id=438007
    That's not lag, it's just DDO trying to become turn-based again.

Feature wishlist: colour-coded HP bars; red/blue teams in raids; rez-timer in party menu; equip-able halflings

Quote Originally Posted by LeoLionxxx View Post
    Did you fill out a real bug report? Posts on the forums are liable to be missed or erroneously glossed over, whereas each bug report is looked at by QA.

- Granted, the form continues to be somewhat hard to find. Here's the link:

https://help.standingstonegames.com/...form_id=438007
    Yeah, I filed a report.