Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Community Member

Call it a nerf, call it a bug fix, I don't care.

An item that people could pay $130(?) for, which gave them a permanent, instant effect escape-from-death clicky has no place in the competitive Hardcore environment. It is interesting to me how prevalent attitudes are against having a pay-to-win store, yet apparently those attitudes don't extend to this item?

The best scenario really would have been if SSG could change the mechancis for the Hardcore server only.

Quote Originally Posted by Codect View Post
    An item that people could pay $130(?) for, which gave them a permanent, instant effect escape-from-death clicky has no place in the competitive Hardcore environment. It is interesting to me how prevalent attitudes are against having a pay-to-win store, yet apparently those attitudes don't extend to this item?
    I think you missed the point. People are fine with it being removed from HCL. People are not fine with that change extending to the live servers.

On HCL it's a ridiculously unfair item that allows players to save themselves from dying. On live it's a QOL item that players paid a ton of money for.

Quote Originally Posted by Rauven View Post
    And what part of Cordovan's statement contradicts the facts presented? The Boarding Pass had an induction timer just like the other two teleport items. The Boarding Pass was, after release, made into a multi-selection teleport item, which inadvertently removed the induction timer. What is classically called a bug. The bug was fixed, the induction timer was restored. Obvious conspiracy theories are obvious. Obvious confirmation bias is obvious. Occam's Razor; don't apply unnecessary complexity when the simple answer fits. Post hoc ergo propter hoc. Just because A preceded B does not mean that A caused B. They stated that they are making balance changes between hardcore seasons so as to not be making balance changes in the middle of hardcore seasons. Making a balance change after a hardcore season does not mean that that balance change was instigated by the prior hardcore season. An item that once had an induction timer that was erroneously removed when the functionality of said item was changed had that induction timer restored. B followed A but was not caused by A.
    I get that he didnt literally come out and say it, but its pretty transparent. I mean come on, "game play issues?" Objective observers understand how to compare the pattern observed to the terms its couched in, and read between the lines.

No matter how you term parse or word lawyer it, the "we are gathering data from HC" posts were all in the same week. They quickly responded that they arent making changes due to HC only after the negative feedback received on making changes due to HC. The backpedaling was strong enough where we can still feel a slight breeze.

Quote Originally Posted by Rauven View Post
    So far I've seen a lot of claims about what the dev's have said, or about their intentions, but no evidence to back that up. I'll stick with the simple answers that fit objective reality rather than some speculative hyperbole that fits the narrative someone has constructed in their head.
    Being in denial about any evidence brought does not mean theres no evidence.

For anyone objective, its transparent enough to the point where Im surprised there arent birds flying into it on a daily basis.

I mean if you are running a p2w game where players set the win condition then pay for it, continually redacting the "win" is not the best marketing strategy.
    Last edited by Chai; 02-16-2020 at 03:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago. Note - This was posted in 10/2013 (when concurrency was ~4x what it is today)

The best scenario really would have been if SSG could change the mechancis for the Hardcore server only.
    Sure, but...

We all knew the full store and market purchases were available on HC well before it came up. Use of the term "competitive" needs to have this taken into account. I am fully against p2w, but people knew full well this stuff was all available on HC.
    Last edited by Chai; 02-16-2020 at 04:05 PM.
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago. Note - This was posted in 10/2013 (when concurrency was ~4x what it is today)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chacka_DDO View Post
    maybe it is just naive of me to have that much faith in humanity in general and particularly in the DDO developers that i doubt that this are the real reasons.
    I think the developers really think this nerf was honestly needed...
    But in my opinion, it is very questionable that it was needed.
    And, in my opinion, all teleport items should have the same "casting time" and cooldown time (including the Key to the City - Eveningstar) simply because it is consistent.
    Also, the use of animation should be the same on all such items.
    And if the devs plan to introduce more such items maybe it would be better to not have them as items in your inventory and rather having a solution via a new UI element (similar to the companion UI)
    I think the developers really think this nerf was honestly needed...
    Yes, the devs really think this nerf is honestly needed ... to boost store sales.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    stop muddling this argument with things like quotes and facts.

Default more than 15 seconds

from spell start click, to your in sharn was 23 seconds for me.

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

I'm cool with them nerfing the item if they also remove the single use instant effect escape-from-death clickies from the store.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by Clemeit View Post
    On live it's a QOL item that players paid a ton of money for.
    Ok...no, it isn't.

Not one person dropped $130 on the Sharn Maxi-bundle for the teleport stone. Nobody. Especially as when the thing was announced there was no reason at all to think it would be any different from the Ravenloft bottle or Eveningstar Key.
    Kobold sentient jewel still hate you.

Quote Originally Posted by Matuse View Post
    Ok...no, it isn't.

Not one person dropped $130 on the Sharn Maxi-bundle for the teleport stone. Nobody. Especially as when the thing was announced there was no reason at all to think it would be any different from the Ravenloft bottle or Eveningstar Key.
    People spend the extra money to get the items that are not in the other bundles.

Deny it.

Ok...no, it isn't.

I have to log in to respond. Sigh.
    Anyways, that's not true. I buy the packs for the instant teleport. I'm not upset at the time delay, am upset at the fact that it takes an extra 4-5 seconds because the developers implemented U45 without various changes.
    I don't like your 'I automatically assume this' attitude, and ask that you nicely discontinuing posting obvious fibs, and lies just because you have the assumption.

I understand that I am one person, but plenty of people buy the ultimate fan package for the instant teleport and the tomes per character, and various items like that - it's useful for getting to the instance/pack faster.
    Inquisitives weren't nerfed, change my mind.
    Proud member of Wacks R Us
    Costume: H: 0 I: 0 R: 1 E: 0 REAPER: 11

Founder, Alpha, Omega and Other Secret Things AnubisPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Clemeit View Post
    I think you missed the point. People are fine with it being removed from HCL. People are not fine with that change extending to the live servers.

On HCL it's a ridiculously unfair item that allows players to save themselves from dying. On live it's a QOL item that players paid a ton of money for.

Yes, but on certain quests lag was the monster that killed many of us. So you either tried to teleport or crash the client with fingers crossed. Death was death, it didn't matter if it was not your fault.
    The Old Timers Guild
    www.oldtimersguild.com
    >> Open to the Public! <<
    Founder #2231
    PROUD MEMBER OF MOURNLANDS

Ok...no, it isn't.

Says you.

Plenty of people purchased this following the release, and initial "fix" of the item.
    Sarlona's FORMER #1 Piker!!
    QuiknDirty~Quikster~Quikkilla Missquik~
    Member of Roving Guns

Systems Designer

Quote Originally Posted by tlstar View Post
    from spell start click, to your in sharn was 23 seconds for me.
    That's wild. What race/gender? Sounds like the spellcasting animation is just all kinds of messed up.
    100% radical, enthusiasm enthusiast.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    That's wild. What race/gender? Sounds like the spellcasting animation is just all kinds of messed up.
    That description sounds like it includes the load screen etc. The 8-9 seconds I reported was for activation until the loading screen appeared.
    Sarlona's FORMER #1 Piker!!
    QuiknDirty~Quikster~Quikkilla Missquik~
    Member of Roving Guns

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    if you are going to tweak the spellcasting animation for the boarding pass, can you change it so that instead of the arms casting gesture, instead we do a boarding pass reading gesture similar to consuming a tome? and then it makes the sound of a train horn?

I like the "spell casting" animation better than the "shoe tying" animation.
    Tequira Sunrise ~ Josielynne ~ Dawnalynn ~ Litzy so Ditzy

Ghallanda: Live and Make Die

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    Losing a get-out-of-death-card is a pretty big nerf.

Maybe it’s a nerf you approve of, but please don’t pretend it isn’t a nerf.
    Exploits can't be nerfed.

Because they are exploits.

But I'm surprised there is so little shame about it. Nobody has any values any more blah blah and get off my lawn!

And if you paid money for what should have been obvious as exploit? LOL. Tom Brady has all these extra football inflators and nowhere to sell them.
    Last edited by Fenrisulven7; 02-16-2020 at 11:51 PM.

Systems Designer

Quote Originally Posted by Graskitch View Post
    if you are going to tweak the spellcasting animation for the boarding pass, can you change it so that instead of the arms casting gesture, instead we do a boarding pass reading gesture similar to consuming a tome? and then it makes the sound of a train horn?
    I'm limited to animations that have spellcasting hooks in them. Usage Device - the shoe tying animation it had while it was a 10s induction item upon launch of Sharn - is missing some parts that will actually fire off the spell, and my guess is that Read Tome is similarly nonfunctional in this scenario.
    100% radical, enthusiasm enthusiast.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fenrisulven7 View Post
    Exploits can't be nerfed.

Because they are exploits.

But I'm surprised there is so little shame about it. Nobody has any values any more blah blah and get off my lawn!

And if you paid money for what should have been obvious as exploit? LOL. Tom Brady has all these extra football inflators and nowhere to sell them.
    As someone who spends $30,000/year on DDO your opinion on what we spend our money on is irrelevant. You're the whale ruining DDO, you don't care about the boarding pass nerf because you'll just buy a stack of teleport rods or just make a new character, gold roll them as high as you want and buy new tomes. It's not that we paid money for an exploit, it's that you paid money to win and you want to be able to outspend us. You're the one without values, I won't tell you to get out of DDO though because it's essentially your game now. Hope the devs can milk enough out of you to pay their bills.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast