Default Need some TR advice

Returning after a very long break and want to explore all the content (new and old) with a fresh start. Perfect opportunity for a TR. But, I'm not totally clear where to start. Does the order of TR's matter? And, since I'm not going for completionist, is their an optimal path to balance epic, heroic iconic and racial past lives? My play time is pretty limited, and I won't be able to do very many past lives, so I'd like to be smart and make the most of the ones I do.

• 32 point build
    • 1st TR
    • Lots of plat, potions, ingredients
    • Some low level gear, but not a lot
    • This TR spent most of the time at cap (20 back then) and primarily ran raids. Geared with Epic Marilith Chain (which is sadly unimpressive now), loads of Green Steel (best used as clickies, it seems). A few other rare items that still seem relevant. But, the rest of the gear appears to be hopelessly outdated.

I don't have a final life, capped build in mind (still looking for a good character planner) But, Reaper looks the most interesting to me. Would be fun to build for R10 content.

What would you recommend?
    .: Reaper :.
    Kongo - TR | Brolik - Warforged Ranger | Bonemender - Clerimonk | Torqata - Warforged Sorcerer | Fresco - Tempest III UMD | Ognok - Intimi Guard Tank

Firstly welcome back and welcome to the biggest hamster wheel you will ever see I mean it... seriously!

For heroic lives I would look at ones which are universally useful regardless of build like 3x Paladin since it grants Healing Amplification which stacks with everything (all past lives stack with everything else in the whole game).

For epic lives weave these in each life since you can go up to level 30 and eTR back to 20. These past lives work from level 1 and are very powerful so do at least 2 per life before doing a heroic/iconic/racial TR.

Iconic lives bear in mind that you get to double dip. By this I mean that you get the Iconic past life along with the Heroic one at the same time! It's crazy good!

While doing eTR's farm up some gear like from Ravenloft and or Sharn if you have those packs the items are very very good.

Make a Gift of the Master if you can too which is an augment version of Voice of the Master (+5% XP) and fits in to a colourless augment slot and can be used from level 1 and boosts all of your XP so very handy for TR's.

Stoner81.

What Stoner81 said. I had a 7 year break myself and when I got back I found it most useful to have a plan. What I did was start with Iconics so I could get both the Iconic and Heroic Past Lives I wanted. Priority depends on what class you want to play, or you could prioritize universally useful stuff as Stoner81 pointed out (Paladin). Completing all 21 Iconic lives will net you 42 total past lives of which you could get Completionist (although you said that was not a goal) or triple up on useful heroic lives based on your goals.

If Iconics is not your flavor, ALWAYS go 1-30 so you get an Epic Past Life and Heroic or Racial Past Life. Some folks do an Epic TR, go back to 20, and go to 30 again to net (2) Epic Past Lives. As it was pointed out, these EPL are nice in that you get to benefit from them starting at Level 1, and if you get Epic Completionist you get an extra Twist of Fate for end game. Decide what you want to do and develop a plan so you have no "wasted lives". Assume you want to play Sorcerer for getting past lives. You may want to prioritize:

Iconic Tiefling Scoundrel Sorc x3 (Get +3 Evo DC and a +30% run speed...keep in mind your first lvl is Bard)
    Iconic Deep Gnome Wizard x3 (Get +9 MRR and +6 Spell Pen)
    Iconic Bladeforged Paladin x3 (Get +30% Healing Amp and +15% Fortification)
    Dragonborn Racial x3 (+1 CHA and a Racial AP)
    Half-Elf Racial x3 (+1 CHA and a Racial AP)
    Tiefling Racial x3 (+1 CHA and a Racial AP)

This is a rough example of how you target past lives so that each one makes the next life a bit better. Check out the Wiki on reincarnation and past life feats on some ideas. I hope this helps!
    Gilcongain (main) - 150/150 PL; Gilconchrist - 1 PL; Gilconcane - 6 PL; Gilconficer - 3 PL; Korthos Village People ~ Cannith

quest experience has changed dramatically

these days you can run a quest as many times as you like without getting the old permanent -10% repetition penalties, BUT you will get a temporary repetition penalty (now called "ransack") if you run it more than once in an 18 hour period. (optionals, hilariously, now DO suffer permanent repetition penalties, and all the way down to -100%)

additionally, there is a bonus to experience you can get once per quest per 18 hours

i'm bringing all this up because there is a MASSIVE bonus to running a quest the first time on each difficulty (and each difficulty also waives the ransack penalty). this bonus DOES reset on a True Reincarnation but DOES NOT on an Epic Reincarnation

okay, so what?

so you will be perfectly capable of running just ERs forever, because you'll never be in a spot where every quest you can run carries a permanent -90%. players are strongly incentivized to spread the questing around, but for those with limited playing time like you and me it's not a big deal. still, it'll be much, much, much easier to get epic past lives if you sprinkle in a TR here and there and get those first time bonuses back... by running heroic content, which is weird! basically every part of the DDO exp system contradicts some other part of it, but that's neither here nor there

two things i think are important to say about reaper - the first is that there's a whole system of enhancements that will make your character much stronger only in reaper that you can only get by running reaper. the second is that melee is quite underpowered these days, and judging from your mari chain that's where you're going to be. bottom line r10 is going to be a long haul for you, don't get discouraged if you join a group today and get absolutely waxed

good luck!

Community Member

One thing to keep in mind during your planning is how slow HR's are after the second reincarnation. There's a pretty good argument for running to 20 as fast as you can the first two lives and then taking a build you plan to do ER's with for awhile after that.

If you're thinking caster as your ER bundler then take a Wizard life and a Favored Soul life as your first two and have the ER bundler be a GOO Warlock who will blow through Epics for you several times until you are ready to go back to 3.8M XP heroic lives again. Knowing what I know now I'd go Human Wizard to 20, farm 20 Tokens of the Twelve while building up some Arcane Destiny, Human Favored Soul to 20, farm 20 more tokens and then HR into a Morninglord Warlock, buying a +1 heart and running as a GOO Warlock in Soul Eater 33 (Feed on Magic/Eldritch Seeker)/Tainted Scholar 31 (Blood Component)/Morninglord 16 (Light of the Sun God III).

This is a really solid grinding build with everything you need before you've fully geared and gotten all your destinies and twists going. You use Utterdark Blast and stack as much Radiance/Acid and Lore as you can, using Chain shape early and then Cone shape for later heroics and thru epics. For epic grinding Feed on Magic keeps Maximized/Empowered/Quickened Evard's Tentacles available on every pull and you just Cone blast everything to dust in front of you. For hairy moments you have Stanch/Rejuvenation of Dawn to save the day and Arcane Fluidity means you can make the transition from Cloth to Light to Heavy armor as soon as you have farmed one of the good plate pieces for a caster. Arcane Fluidity plus a 15 Spell Agility augment will give you a 96% cast success in epics and there are lots of ways to cover that last 4% if it bothers you.

Warlock has the advantage that it grinds well in both Arcane and Divine spheres so a few lives will fly by as you fill out Exalted Angel and Divine Crusader or Magister and Fatesinger, depending on whether you went Wizard or Favored Soul first in the first two lives.

If you're more melee-oriented then Human Paladin, Human Barbarian and Human Monk as the ER bundler. Monks are very survivable in epics at low-gear/destiny levels because of Improved Evasion and Rise of the Phoenix is a nice quest saver before you farm up a jibber's blade to fill that role.
    Last edited by KoobTheProud; 02-19-2020 at 02:10 AM.

2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Roman View Post
    ...is their an optimal path to balance epic, heroic iconic and racial past lives?
    It depends which you are interested in, but if you're going for both Epic and others, I do suggest combining them.

I.e., go CurrentStartLevel->30->20->30->NextStartLevel. Depending on if you are Iconic race or not, that will get you either { Iconic, Class, Epic } or { [choice of class or race], Epic x2 }.

While you are at 30, you can get gear and RXP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    As a general rule we don't intend for a single spawn area to cause any dungeon alert, and certainly not red dungeon alert. This basically isn't ever a goal in our designs

Quote Originally Posted by Roman View Post
    Returning after a very long break and want to explore all the content (new and old) with a fresh start. Perfect opportunity for a TR. But, I'm not totally clear where to start. Does the order of TR's matter? And, since I'm not going for completionist, is their an optimal path to balance epic, heroic iconic and racial past lives? My play time is pretty limited, and I won't be able to do very many past lives, so I'd like to be smart and make the most of the ones I do.

• 32 point build
    • 1st TR
    • Lots of plat, potions, ingredients
    • Some low level gear, but not a lot
    • This TR spent most of the time at cap (20 back then) and primarily ran raids. Geared with Epic Marilith Chain (which is sadly unimpressive now), loads of Green Steel (best used as clickies, it seems). A few other rare items that still seem relevant. But, the rest of the gear appears to be hopelessly outdated.

I don't have a final life, capped build in mind (still looking for a good character planner) But, Reaper looks the most interesting to me. Would be fun to build for R10 content.

What would you recommend?
    If you are not going for completionist and time is limited my strongest recommendation is to play what is fun for you.

As for a character planner I've started to use DDO Builder
    what I like about it is that it also helps me track the multiple past lives of my many characters

On the R10 content build idea, at this point it is both build and gear as well as building up the Rxp for tree points that can help get you to that point. Keep in mind that while there are those that can solo this content it was not originally designed to cater to solo play. You can get there, just don't expect it to be overnight is all.