Community Member

Default Blue-Balls Endure Casters

Quote Originally Posted by janave View Post
    Not a new player here and not a new character, but now I regularly drop back to elite on my 50+ reaper point guy, when playing a melee build that cant pull a plague + carnage + some odd demon/cruelty champ combo, disregard the 1.5khps in heroic with 100PRR + 75MRR :P. It basically boils down if I can consistently lock down cc reapers with enough reaction time and dps to care about whatever else the game throws at me

I recently got melted by a Fire Elemental on R1, hitting for massive fire aoe + poison and acid damage over time. The only way I could have bypass this is instant killing from range .

BTW I dont care dropping down to Elite, tho I can usually play r3-4 solo, if the build has ranged DPS or range cc + instantkills.

Same player same character, just the build changing.

BTW i dont think the solution is to change the META (again), the solution imo would be to decide what should be challenging and adjust reapers and champions to be less than 5 times as hard for melee, and maybe a little harder to fight from a distance.
    Reading this got me thinking about the spell point eating reaper again. It's truly amazing how many little blue balls are left behind in deep-reap as we zerg r7-10, must not be needed by casters, every once in a while the healer will pick up a few.

This highlights the critical need for the SP Eater Reaper that spawns in r6-10 when blue-balls are left behind.

For every little blue ball that's left it increases the chance to pair your next reaper encounter with an additional SP Eater that functions like a Fear Reaper with an AoE stacking DoT effect, "Mana-Drain", that drains all characters of SP by 5%-20% per minute anywhere in the quest until the reaper is destroyed. This must be done by % in-order to deter these casters with endless mana from zerging the rest of the party out of mana.

Quote Originally Posted by Zites View Post
    Reading this got me thinking about the spell point eating reaper again. It's truly amazing how many little blue balls are left behind in deep-reap as we zerg r7-10, must not be needed by casters, every once in a while the healer will pick up a few.

This highlights the critical need for the SP Eater Reaper that spawns in r6-10 when blue-balls are left behind.

For every little blue ball that's left it increases the chance to pair your next reaper encounter with an additional SP Eater that functions like a Fear Reaper with an AoE stacking DoT effect, "Mana-Drain", that drains all characters of SP by 5%-20% per minute anywhere in the quest until the reaper is destroyed. This must be done by % in-order to deter these casters with endless mana from zerging the rest of the party out of mana.
    casters dont pick them up in group settings because the inquisitive already killed all the mobs

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnbeimnech View Post
    casters dont pick them up in group settings because the inquisitive already killed all the mobs
    Inquisitive are under going balance correction and will continue to be fine tuned with each up date
    The time has come to feel the burn no more entitlements or bail outs you kids have it to easy today

Community Member

Inquisitive are under going balance correction and will continue to be fine tuned with each up date
    The time has come to feel the burn no more entitlements or bail outs you kids have it to easy today
    lmao

So folks are starting to learn that nerfing the bajesus out of ranged as an archetype somehow didnt make melee more survivable?

They painted themselves into this corner long before ranged ever became the OP thing. This is all due to power creep to the point where players can cover up weaknesses in a blanket fashion, along with consolidating as many abilities as possible to one stat, making it so the only real way to challenge players is high levels of spike damage. Further more, if theyre not careful, the minute they attempt to give melee exclusively more mitigation through specific gear and/or feat combinations, casters and ranged will all take advantage of it as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago. Note - This was posted in 10/2013 (when concurrency was ~4x what it is today)

Community Member

The Mana Drinker should have the same AI as Falsifax in the High Road you know the Reaver that runs from you.
    Description: When hurt, he will run away from you.
    Falsifax:
    Falsifax.jpg
    This 1 reaper would solve most if the issues between melee and range in reaper where everyone plays.

Sooo the solution to this is to pick up every blue ball along the way unless you are in pure non-caster group as the SP eater is less dangerous and you would want these.

Like the idea of a SP eating reaper for sure but not sure THIS specific mechanic "fixes" it. Just add them into the mix and let that mess with the casters. Also maybe have a reaper that reflects damage back on the person who does the damage but have the % decrease the closer you are to the reaper. Thus a melee against it get say 2% of the damage reflected back on them but a ranged or caster out there is getting hit with 30% - 40% back.

Thumbs up

Good post.
    Last edited by Kutalp; 02-16-2020 at 05:32 PM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-vgrCICAf0
    Basements & Rogue Dinosaurs

Bounty Hunter

This is truly a terrible idea that won't solve anything.

R10 is too easy for a group of 6 right now and that has absolutely nothing to do with casters and a lot more to do with many little things such as all the ways to debuff enemies, jibbers, continued power creep, et al. The current meta balanced party has a max of one dc caster a min of 4 high dps and maybe 1 healer. The only caster considered high dps is sorc right now although good players can make decent characters from any class.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by slarden View Post
    This is truly a terrible idea that won't solve anything.

R10 is too easy for a group of 6 right now and that has absolutely nothing to do with casters and a lot more to do with many little things such as all the ways to debuff enemies, jibbers, continued power creep, et al. The current meta balanced party has a max of one dc caster a min of 4 high dps and maybe 1 healer. The only caster considered high dps is sorc right now although good players can make decent characters from any class.
    Just ran age of rage chain r8 party it consisted of 4 caster/healer types only 1sorc, 2fav, 1cc/insta-kill wiz, and 2melee dps. (PS the blue balls were every where)

Between cc holds and sorc nukem, fod, and other insta-kills, implosion ect. melee was not needed for trash which is most of the content in the game.

WHEN FARMING RXP you need to go CASTER or your doing it wrong. For raids you can get away with this in most as well so not sure who your playing with. I'm including a random video for your enjoyment thx.

The Mana Drinker should have the same AI as Falsifax in the High Road you know the Reaver that runs from you.
    Description: When hurt, he will run away from you.
    Falsifax:
    Falsifax.jpg
    This 1 reaper would solve most if the issues between melee and range in reaper where everyone plays.
    If more NPC's period did this it would be good/bad. Honestly, one mechanic in EQ was that NPC's ran at low health because you know, they wanted to live. Kinda like how players run around corners spamming heal. Even in 3rd NPC's had moral checks to see if they fled when 50% of their numbers were cut down.

Now why this would be bad to implement (or at least all at once):
    Players aren't used to this mechanic. DA is already annoying thanks to "help" going through walls. This would make it so much worse.

Now...
    Everything being said, I would love this mechanic to be slowly introduced over the next two (2) years. That should give players time to adjust and developers plenty of time to "fine tune" the mechanic. That and the developers have a hard time doing anything correctly in a single update (thanks to not providing adequate quality control).
    Quote Originally Posted by hp1055cm View Post
    They have been tweaking the game since I started and often I disagree with them. They focus on wrong stuff, over or under compensate and abandon too much stuff. Every once in awhile they get something right, if only temporarily.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by AbyssalMage View Post
    Now why this would be bad to implement (or at least all at once):
    Players aren't used to this mechanic. DA is already annoying thanks to "help" going through walls. This would make it so much worse.

Now...
    Everything being said, I would love this mechanic to be slowly introduced over the next two (2) years. That should give players time to adjust and developers plenty of time to "fine tune" the mechanic. That and the developers have a hard time doing anything correctly in a single update (thanks to not providing adequate quality control).
    Yes it's a cool mechanic DA mana drain in a reaper with Falsifax's: When hurt, he will run away from you mechanic.
    Just put a reaper skin on Falsifax on adjust his numbers accordingly no running through walls solved.

Waiting two years is ridiculous it could be done same as every thing else because they are a small shop the players have to do a fair share of the testing live.

Hope they come out with this internally on their own so they implement it LOL.

Bounty Hunter

Just ran age of rage chain r8 party it consisted of 4 caster/healer types only 1sorc, 2fav, 1cc/insta-kill wiz, and 2melee dps. (PS the blue balls were every where)

Between cc holds and sorc nukem, fod, and other insta-kills, implosion ect. melee was not needed for trash which is most of the content in the game.

WHEN FARMING RXP you need to go CASTER or your doing it wrong. For raids you can get away with this in most as well so not sure who your playing with. I'm including a random video for your enjoyment thx.
    It's certainly not a "random" video - you picked it out. Here is an R10 curse of strahd - doesn't seem dominated by casters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4-BEtx5syM

Here is an R10 with 2 melees:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdMB9PdgnHc

Here is an R10 solo by a rouge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20FNzQsdH-c

The better question is where do you get your information? Just go to youtube and type DDO R10 and you won't see it dominated by casters as you claim.

Yes it's a cool mechanic DA mana drain in a reaper with Falsifax's: When hurt, he will run away from you mechanic.
    Just put a reaper skin on Falsifax on adjust his numbers accordingly no running through walls solved.

Waiting two years is ridiculous it could be done same as every thing else because they are a small shop the players have to do a fair share of the testing live.

Hope they come out with this internally on their own so they implement it LOL.

' U mad bro ? '

It would be even better if Reapers were namd after developers and used their virtual faces inside the hood.

Cordoreaper, Lynnareaper lol ,

DDO needs more of these random jokes and positive trollings rolling around the place.

Player name: Soulstone. (Reaper run souvenir)

' Ermahgerd...'
    Last edited by Kutalp; 02-18-2020 at 03:02 PM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-vgrCICAf0
    Basements & Rogue Dinosaurs

Just have Reaper's summon player that hits it from outside melee range , you will not evade me (name of player)
    that will even the playing field somewhat and put the fear of dying in everyone doing reaper dungeons

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sikaril_Shadowblade View Post
    Just have Reaper's summon player that hits it from outside melee range , you will not evade me (name of player)
    that will even the playing field somewhat and put the fear of dying in everyone doing reaper dungeons
    Yeah, because half the soul stones will be in a wall or under the world.

Can we wait to see the effect of this round of nerfs before adding mana eating anything into the mix. What is this, everquest now?