Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    Third prize is YOU'RE FIRED
    Always rep for GGGR reference.
    Zanthiss - L30 Mechanic - Cannith: Hand of Death
    Zamsil - L30 VKF assassin

I've got a Dungeon Master's Guide... I've got 12 sided die...

An undisclosed location. I asked my captors but they remain tight lipped.

DDO's Anniversary Gift:

"Squalling Infant" clicky.
    It weighs eight pounds, eats random consumables (with random effects as a result; hide the omni-dust).
    This is a cursed item.
    Once per day it can be clicked to cast an instantaneous Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion, but will then commence crying for the next 8 in-game hours. https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/w...ficent_mansion

Shelter:
    -Ten minute duration, provides a shelter in any instance allowing the party members to enter or leave as they wish.
    -3.5 spell benefits are conveyed. (Figure summon shrine with a good meal and shelter from the quest mobs)

Because the clicky is cursed, the resultant catterwaul also populates in all chatboxes (1 line of "Waaaaaaah" every five seconds.) This affects the party chat box, too, for all members of the party.
    Last edited by Jerevth; 02-13-2020 at 02:04 PM.
    Sometimes I'm too clever for my own good. Bear in mind I'm probably trying to be humorous. Like dodge, it's hit or miss.// Looking for a guild on Orien? Send a tell or mail to Magnifique to join the "Fidelic Brotherhood".

Quote Originally Posted by Jerevth View Post
    DDO's Anniversary Gift:
    I love that entire idea.

Community Member

DDO's Anniversary Gift:

It weighs eight pounds, eats random consumables (with random effects as a result; hide the omni-dust).
    This is a cursed item.
    Once per day it can be clicked to cast an instantaneous Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion, but will then commence crying for the next 8 in-game hours. https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/w...ficent_mansion

Shelter:
    -Ten minute duration, provides a shelter in any instance allowing the party members to enter or leave as they wish.
    -3.5 spell benefits are conveyed. (Figure summon shrine with a good meal and shelter from the quest mobs)

Because the clicky is cursed, the resultant catterwaul also populates in all chatboxes (1 line of "Waaaaaaah" every five seconds.) This affects the party chat box, too, for all members of the party.
    Still better than a cosmetic.

Default Can it be fed?

DDO's Anniversary Gift: "Squalling Infant" clicky.
    As long as the item can be fed for Sentient XP ... OK below.

Default Free Medical

All Non-Inquisitor ranged got a free proctology exam. By an Ogre.
    NO MORE MONEY UNTIL IPS NERF RETRACTED... Ranged of the World Unite!

Broccoli mount

Quote Originally Posted by Matuse View Post
    Hardcore had nothing to do with it. It was RIDICULOUSLY overpowered in the hands of an Inquisitive. It needed to be changed.
    More proof that the Inquisitive tree was the problem, not IPS or even Ratcatcher. A 10 year old item gets nerfed due to an overpowered Universal splash tree. Let's just take a chainsaw and fix the problem a scalpel could have.

A proper anniversary gift would be to rethink their mistake, reverse this update with regard to Range combat and try again.
    THANK YOU SO MUCH

Quote Originally Posted by salmag View Post
    More proof that the Inquisitive tree was the problem, not IPS or even Ratcatcher. A 10 year old item gets nerfed due to an overpowered Universal splash tree. Let's just take a chainsaw and fix the problem a scalpel could have.

A proper anniversary gift would be to rethink their mistake, reverse this update with regard to Range combat and try again.
    No, by having an OP ranged option exist, it highlighted issues that would make balancing ranged at all in the future impossible. When individual factors increase your damage to that extent, it significantly hampers your ability to balance without first bringing that item in line. This is the exact reason why divine might was changed. People *****ed that DM was the only thing holding divine melee up at all and that by nerfing it you would kill divine melees, but it was clearly a crutch that disallowed the devs from being able to buff anything else on these characters, otherwise characters who splashed them would get all of this extra strength despite not actually being a divine melee. IPS made is so that there was no good way to let ranged have any considerable single target damage without simultaneously making them have better AoE damage than they should.

This year's anniversary gift will be a box providing the option to get any of the rare weapons that ddo has nerf'd to uselessness in the past.

wounding of puncturing rapier.
    ratcatcher
    banishing anything
    smiting anything
    vorpal insta killer (pre 1000 hp garbage. what has 1000 hps nowadays?)
    etc...
    Member of "Guild of the Black Dragons" & "Swords of the Light" on Sarlona. Proud "Last" member of Caffeine - we aint stragicially savy.
    Kilthar-Tharr-Delkanthalus-Carissa-Mirasina-Ktara-Imara-Thistle-Tharissa-Robothar-Minithar-Miriella-Tharnessa-Tharisa

Quote Originally Posted by Stravix View Post
    No, by having an OP ranged option exist, it highlighted issues that would make balancing ranged at all in the future impossible. When individual factors increase your damage to that extent, it significantly hampers your ability to balance without first bringing that item in line. This is the exact reason why divine might was changed. People *****ed that DM was the only thing holding divine melee up at all and that by nerfing it you would kill divine melees, but it was clearly a crutch that disallowed the devs from being able to buff anything else on these characters, otherwise characters who splashed them would get all of this extra strength despite not actually being a divine melee. IPS made is so that there was no good way to let ranged have any considerable single target damage without simultaneously making them have better AoE damage than they should.
    there is nothing wrong with ips as it requires more feats and stats and bab than other melee multi mob hit feats. especially in light of the other changes. it's techinally not AOE damage it's situational damage IF you can line mobs up which takes time, skill and probably a lack of dps getting them into position. you apparently haven't played a range build.
    Member of "Guild of the Black Dragons" & "Swords of the Light" on Sarlona. Proud "Last" member of Caffeine - we aint stragicially savy.
    Kilthar-Tharr-Delkanthalus-Carissa-Mirasina-Ktara-Imara-Thistle-Tharissa-Robothar-Minithar-Miriella-Tharnessa-Tharisa

Founder
    Guild Leader - Death Smile

To my knowledge we got nothing at all, which considering we players are excited about 14 years you'd think SSG would be too.
    **Master of the Beyond**

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thar View Post
    This year's anniversary gift will be a box providing the option to get any of the rare weapons that ddo has nerf'd to uselessness in the past.

wounding of puncturing rapier.
    ratcatcher
    banishing anything
    smiting anything
    vorpal insta killer (pre 1000 hp garbage. what has 1000 hps nowadays?)
    etc...
    ...still better than a cosmetic.

Quote Originally Posted by salmag View Post

ratcatcher with no useful buff except for vermin had one use, base dps. The problem was that no other named weapons existed afterwards to fill the gap until borderlands which provided a lvl 20 weapon that could replace it and provide situationally better damage. Barovian hxbow was better vs undead. putting out a new combat style with no access to gear to compliment it was a fail to start. Crossbows should have gotten a pass at the same time just like runearms were implemented.

the ranged pass is a huge fail. the thf pass is a fail as it does nothing to keep melees alive via defensive capability. the game just slowed to a grind and what i'm hearing in guild chat is people aren't happy with doing any class TR's as dps is garbage across the board with almost all classes now. will this encourage larger groups and cooperation, maybe but that only works so far with time and schedules. overall not a good update for the game.

Quote Originally Posted by smokejumper89 View Post
    ...still better than a cosmetic.
    lol agreed.

there is nothing wrong with ips as it requires more feats and stats and bab than other melee multi mob hit feats. especially in light of the other changes. it's techinally not AOE damage it's situational damage IF you can line mobs up which takes time, skill and probably a lack of dps getting them into position. you apparently haven't played a range build.
    The end line feat that allows melee to hit multiple people at one time is also a 3 feat line that requires 11 BAB, now grated, it only requires 17 Str to IPS's 19 dex, so that is a valid point. And yes, it allows you to hit multiple people at the same time in an area of effect. It just happens to be rectangular area not a circular one. If there is no damage difference in a single target spec'd range build and an AoE one, why would you ever not be in AoE spec? Unlike the THF feats which lock you into a combat style which has lower single target damage, IPS is a stance. Because you are given an opportunity to change stances based on what you are fighting, it only makes sense that is doesn't do as much single target damage as when you change to the stance focused on that. Should stances swap faster? Yes, but that is a separate issue.

Founder
    Guild Leader - Death Smile

I think some of the above posts are a stellar example of how the anniversary gift was a cleverly spun giant nerf to the game.

Unlike LOTRO, which really sets the mark for festivals and events, over here in DDO we just get crapped on. Oh and didn't you know there's a new class just in time for Hardcore league where you can spend all your free time grinding for 5000 favor on a server where you cannot die, and nothing you do counts towards your actual guild on your home server, oh and no one cares that you have a cloak that says II on it?

Yeah, no thanks - look I'm happy SSG made a score with the Hardcore League One, I spend a lot of my money to set up and run a giant guild there, but the reaction - the aftermath - has left an extremely bad taste in my mouth.

No anniversary reward for being committed to and playing this game since 2006? Just a bunch of nerfs?

I stand by my decision to boycott Hardcore Season 2 - My guild ship cargo hold on Sarlona looks like a deserted DMV, my inquisitive is now a useless storage character, and there's a birthday party where I can run to the same tired loot from last year.

Friends of mine who used to play this game, asked, 'what did they do for the anniversary?' I said 'Well, we got a new class and a bunch of nerfs to everything, oh and they made catacombs epic, but I think they'd have done that anyway.'

They responded - 'glad I left.'
    **Master of the Beyond**

True. The only people that whine about a ranged nerf being needed, were melee. The problem is, IPS was never an issue, and wasn't one for over a decade. Inquisitor was a horrible
    tree that an IPS nerf STILL didn't fix, the only thing is did was kill most of the ranged builds. My BARD does more damage than our IPS ranger, and it's an actual cone. The only chance
    the ranger has, is when we're fighting in a huge room, and even then I usually just walk up and blast it before he's finished. He has to rely on them standing in a line. I don't. It's even
    worse with our Wizard and Sorcerer..../NUKE... Gee, they all died.

Next up, a Flower Picking Tree, so the Ranger has something to do.

Kobold say, "Really? Really??"

Quote Originally Posted by DRoark View Post
    True. The only people that whine about a ranged nerf being needed, were melee. The problem is, IPS was never an issue, and wasn't one for over a decade. Inquisitor was a horrible
    tree that an IPS nerf STILL didn't fix, the only thing is did was kill most of the ranged builds. My BARD does more damage than our IPS ranger, and it's an actual cone. The only chance
    the ranger has, is when we're fighting in a huge room, and even then I usually just walk up and blast it before he's finished. He has to rely on them standing in a line. I don't. It's even
    worse with our Wizard and Sorcerer..../NUKE... Gee, they all died.

Next up, a Flower Picking Tree, so the Ranger has something to do.

Kobold say, "Really? Really??"
    So, question. Would you like there to never be a high single target ranged build to ever exist? When your AoE damage is identical to your single target damage for an entire archetype of play, because it is never worth it to change stances, is that ok? I am not saying that ranged was OP, divine melees were not OP yet the divine might change needed to happen. This is the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Stravix View Post
    Unlike the THF feats which lock you into a combat style which has lower single target damage, IPS is a stance. Because you are given an opportunity to change stances based on what you are fighting, it only makes sense that is doesn't do as much single target damage as when you change to the stance focused on that. Should stances swap faster? Yes, but that is a separate issue.
    Make all melee fighting styles a stance, so you can train multiple styles. You can't melee multiple mobs without taking a -20% damage cut. Balance solved.
    Make all spells in the game Lesser/Greater. Greater is a stance. All spells in the game take a 20% damage hit if they effect more than one Kobold. Balance solved.
    Make all CC in the game single target. Take a 20% cut to your spell DC if you cast the "area" version. Balance solved.

"It only makes sense..." as you said.

Watch the forums burn down, when everyone realizes THEY took the same hit for "balance", following the "we're happy where ranged is at" dumpster-fire, that didn't actually fix anything.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast