Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnbeimnech View Post
    left clicking the mouse is a noob move, pros will just hold it down

Lol !

Default Zerga headz and Zcenery catcherz

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoBlonde View Post
    Except that's EXACTLY the point . . . new players should play normal or hard on quests they can't do on elite/reaper . . . IF they are soloing. If they're playing in a group, simply getting a completion is TRIVIAL, unless it's something dreadful like Temple of Elemental Evil or Terminal Delerium.

If they weren't trying to solo, they'd have no cause to complain. The source of their problem is that they're TRYING to solo quests on elite or reaper that they're not ready to do and failing. Thus, the advice "do the quest on normal or hard if you insist on soloing it" is EXACTLY what they need.

For some reason a LOT of the people who play this game REALLY REALLY want to solo EVERYTHING, even when this is not in their best interest, and when they fail they come complain on the forums. It's kind of amusing that you take the advice that is aimed at these hardcore anti-social persons and complain that it is ONLY for hardcore anti-social persons. Their anti-social tendencies are the CAUSE of their problem.

Many players;flocks of those wish to zerg ahead and TR and zerg ahead and TR and zerga...Some players like it cooked, take it slow; replay a quest or explore a wilderness setting watching the virtual scenery and sun set. May leave their virtual character at Ataraxia for a long rest and rebuild an old favorite build they roleplayed and let it fly away years ago...

Which one is considered anti social ? Why are they out there alone when the same players are extremely chatty and social at the forums ?
    Last edited by Kutalp; 02-19-2020 at 02:53 AM.

Bounty Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Alrik_Fassbauer View Post
    I assume that everyone who is able to solo Reaper has several TRs behing the character plus various guild buffs.

I just want to see a first-life level 1 character whith NO buffs being able to solo R1 or higher.
    Past lifes, existing reaper trees, guild buffs and farmed gear certainly help and add tremendous power, but I solo'd reaper on the hardcore server because my friends only wanted the sash and not the cloak. I got my 100k reaper xp in 2 weeks and moved on but could have kept going - not sure if I would have lived till the end if I did, but it was going well.

I think I met all your criteria:

1) 1st lifer - never tr'd
    2) most of the important gear I had was from korthos (shield clickies, exped retreat clicikes, etc.)
    3) was in a small guild - far behind the top guilds in level - didn't have anything in cargo hold
    4) solo'd most quests - skipped quests I thought were too risky. Ran a few below reaper due to risk to get favor.

I ran the arti build in my sig as a warforged (easier self healing) and with more arti levels and fewer fighter levels. Focused on hp over offense in my AP spend for sure.

The "new players should play normal or hard" argument gets trotted out typically in response to someone trotting out the "do it for the new players" arguments when discussing how to make the game easier on the most difficult settings. While the OP claims the purpose of their post is not to want the game to be easier on more difficult settings, nevertheless this is the correct response to people trying to compare new players to vets in reaper for instance.

This tactic is usually used when the real purpose for the request being made is knowingly absurd enough even to the one suggesting it, that they need to couch it in terms of "do it for the newbies." rather than actually state the real purpose of the request and likely be roasted for it for a week straight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago. Note - This was posted in 10/2013 (when concurrency was ~4x what it is today)

Community Member SpartanKiller13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by smokejumper89 View Post
    -Various "gear deserts", level-ranges where there's no good equipment available without ungodly amounts of farming**. Since I started playing I've taken 7 characters from lvl 20 to 30 first-life. At lvl 21 you have KotB items. Then starting around 24/25 they start not feeling powerful enough, and by 27 you're still mostly wearing lvl 15 sharn gear because the ONLY halfway decent loot is raid gear and you haven't started raiding yet because you're a new player. 27 tends to be the hardest level, Slavers gear at 28 helps, then at 29 the power jump is absurd.

-Hit points. I'd have a much easier time surviving if I could get about 500 more HP. On a first-life character with tomes it's not easy. Currently my highest HP guy is a con-based dwarf barbarian. He has 85 CON and only 2268 hit points at lvl 30. I don't know how people get 5k HP but I suspect it involves liberal use of TR.

-Drop rates. These are clearly bugged. There's no freaking way they're as high as the devs have them listed. What we need is some kind of mechanic like the raid runes so you don't need to spend months ransacking the same dungeon on elite to get a specific piece of supposedly common kit. It'd make it a **** of a lot easier for new players to get elite/reaper ready if they could get geared faster.
    I've definitely worn ML8-10 Slavers+Ravenloft gear until level 29 a few times. Some decent gear around ML24 would be really nice lol.

HP is far from the only damage mitigation, and I'd recommend you try to pick up a few more types PRR/MRR, Concealment (Dusk or Blurry items), Incorporeality (Ghostly item), Dodge (up to your armor cap, but usually via items), and active defenses (like Improved Uncanny Dodge).

Are you using Epic Defensive Fighting? It's a free feat auto-granted at level 21 that gives 5-25% max HP bonus (but you can't throw spells past touch range and ranged combat is nerfed).

As a Barbarian, you're probably getting ~3-400 HP from your enhancements; with 85 Con you're getting 1,110 HP; 380 from Barbarian & Epic levels, 100 from Fury of the Wild, and without HP from items etc you'd be ~1900, which bumps to 2,375 with EDF. If you aren't using EDF yet, your 2,268 HP will bump to 2835, which should help a bunch

Occult Slayer just got a T5 10% HP bonus as well, if that's an option for you.

Drop rates are a hard argument; I've collected a bunch of data that shows their 10/16/33+1% rate to be pretty solid, but some items seem to drop much less frequently than others (L Shattered Onyx, for instance). It's hard to say they're even when I have seen two drop in over 100 runs (usually with multiple people looting). That said, sometimes I think it's just luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjond View Post
    You made a number of fantastic points. The step from N to H is miniscule. I can't really tell the difference. H to E is large in heroics, huge in epic, and profound in epic raids. IMHO, I'd replace N with what H is now (difficulty-wise). Then rework H to be midway between where it is now and E. The goal should always be "if it's EASY for you, then one step up should be hard, but not too hard." If it's hard, then one step up might be too hard. There should never be a hard slap-down stepping from an easy difficulty to the next one up.

Wow, that's a lot (2k). The lowest HP character I have that can solo R1 only has 1K (1200'ish under EDF). Most are around 1200. There are other routes to survival than soaking damage. If you kill them fast, they can't hurt you. If you CC (stun/etc), they can't hit back. A 5K character is a special build that is stacking many different sources of %HP boosts: LGS + Stance + Enhance and probably also has a CON focus.

Many of the characters I see in even as high as r7/8 don't have 2K, either. Maybe rethink build strategy?
    Yeah, I'd agree Normal is a lil out-of-date. I'm down for a small bump to it. Maybe bump the favor so it's 0.5/0.75/1 instead of the current 0.33/0.66/1 along the way, so it's not as much of a penalty.

My PM life had ~1200 (~1500 in Reaper) and could solo R3-5? Could run R8 comfortably and R10 reasonably in a party as well? It's definitely not all about HP lol.
    -Khysiria of Cannith
    Quote Originally Posted by zehnvhex View Post
    Warlock is basically a ghetto Shiradi Sorc. You gives up some of the damage and self sustain for the ability to just hold down left click and yolo blast your way to victory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    It's DDO. There are probably 6 different types of Evil damage.

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanKiller13 View Post
    Drop rates are a hard argument; I've collected a bunch of data that shows their 10/16/33+1% rate to be pretty solid, but some items seem to drop much less frequently than others (L Shattered Onyx, for instance). It's hard to say they're even when I have seen two drop in over 100 runs (usually with multiple people looting). That said, sometimes I think it's just luck.
    Second part of Sharn has six named items per quest, so getting any one PARTICULAR item out of there is a pain--over and over I've gotten multiple copies of every single item out of those quests before I got the one I actually wanted. Most quests these days have fewer than six named items and you can definitely tell the difference in how much of a pita it is to get those items vs. quests that drop more.

It's all luck . . . I've said "I need this item" and have had it drop on the same run. I also had to ransack Fresh-Baked dreams four times before I got a Ring of Nightfall, and Ravenloft has about the easiest-to-get items in the game even with the Morninglords/Nightmother's weapons skewing the drop rates.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoBlonde View Post
    Second part of Sharn has six named items per quest, so getting any one PARTICULAR item out of there is a pain--over and over I've gotten multiple copies of every single item out of those quests before I got the one I actually wanted. Most quests these days have fewer than six named items and you can definitely tell the difference in how much of a pita it is to get those items vs. quests that drop more.

It's all luck . . . I've said "I need this item" and have had it drop on the same run. I also had to ransack Fresh-Baked dreams four times before I got a Ring of Nightfall, and Ravenloft has about the easiest-to-get items in the game even with the Morninglords/Nightmother's weapons skewing the drop rates.
    Sure, but even distribution would drop an individual item at 5.5% on Elite there :P That ring is one I've farmed for a lot with a bunch of groups It's basically BiS on every Wizard so it's super popular...

Yeah, Ravenloft feels pretty decent to me; I had 70+ pulls in Oath before getting an item, but most of the time it's pretty fast (and my data supports that).

I think another contributing factor is some quests are much smoother to farm; like Thralls of the Fungus Lord is pretty chill, but Best Laid Plans is a huge pain. It's like item-farming in Amber Temple, it feels so much worse than most of the others on the list.
    -Khysiria of Cannith
    Warlock is basically a ghetto Shiradi Sorc. You gives up some of the damage and self sustain for the ability to just hold down left click and yolo blast your way to victory.

Quote Originally Posted by slarden View Post
    Past lifes, existing reaper trees, guild buffs and farmed gear certainly help and add tremendous power, but I solo'd reaper on the hardcore server because my friends only wanted the sash and not the cloak. I got my 100k reaper xp in 2 weeks and moved on but could have kept going - not sure if I would have lived till the end if I did, but it was going well.

2) most of the important gear I had was from korthos (shield clickies, exped retreat clicikes, etc.)
    3) was in a small guild - far behind the top guilds in level - didn't have anything in cargo hold
    4) solo'd most quests - skipped quests I thought were too risky. Ran a few below reaper due to risk to get favor.

I ran the arti build in my sig as a warforged (easier self healing) and with more arti levels and fewer fighter levels. Focused on hp over offense in my AP spend for sure.

This is true.

Certain class and universal enhancements and type of weapon turn the gaming experience alot more easier. Some one only needs the basic sets (some we allways post at New player adv and guid forums) and not the many past lives and best item sets unless it is a specific quest ran at R3+ etc

Just to underline this I mean Zolo, ez ventura but not Zergahead gameplay. (A random first life Ez runner can run R3 solo. No joke. But not every quest. Not with fighter or barbarian or assasin and the similar...)
    Last edited by Kutalp; 02-19-2020 at 03:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by slarden View Post

I have tried it with mixed results. But I am not a new player
    and I know the dungeons very well. to solo on R(anything)
    with a first life toon requires knowledge, experience
    and most of all ... stupid blind luck. Get the wrong Reaper or more
    than 1 at a time in the wrong spot...you dead.

A brand new player doing it? no chance unless they luck out and get no
    spawns.

Quote Originally Posted by Alrik_Fassbauer View Post
    I assume that everyone who is able to solo Reaper has several TRs behing the character plus various guild buffs.

I just want to see a first-life level 1 character whith NO buffs being able to solo R1 or higher.
    It's not the TRs or the guild-buffs (lol?) that make the difference. It's about player experience (knowledge), gear, and build (in about that order, too). If you can't do it on a 1st life, ETRs and Reaper points probably won't help unless you're OK solo'ing Elite.

For example, two of my characters are still total PL virgins: 1st life, zero ETR, and fully capable of solo'ing R1. My bard can even solo the longer ones, like Slavers. Not a special build: classic ice 18 bard 1 fvs 1 rogue. BUT, that same character couldn't solo EE when I was first leveling it up. MUCH less zone knowledge. It had decent gear (RL set), but not nearly as well-tuned as now. Raid gear not required. My other virgin (Sorc) can only solo the shorter ones with decent DCs (some Sharn but not Soul Splitter or Slaver's) unless I flip the toggle on all the metas at once and buy out an entire aisle of SP Potions in the DDO Store.

Also, I'm talking entirely about EPIC Reaper rather than Heroic. Heroic is much harder (for me) because I don't invest in lowbie gear sets and don't spend time down there (less knowledge). If I ever do racial PLs, I'll likely do that and don't think it would be hard with the right gear. My inquisitive did it, but that's ranged and inquisitive. Doesn't count -- yeah, my char with the NBA-Pro tree was born able to dunk, whaddya mean you can't? (heh.)

BTW, if I was to pick a build for solo'ing R1+ on the HC server, I'd still pick inquisitive or at least some ranged (NOT thrower) build even after the nerfs. I have too many characters to feed already, though, don't need another.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alcides View Post
    First lifers are perfectly able to run R1+. It won't be easy but its possible. There are players I know with first life toons with 90+ reaper points
    Thats not the point. There are always those extremely talented players that can do quests to the max difficultys, but in my experience, those people are few and far between and arent to be confused with the general newbie. IMHO. the op players are the ones most responsible for all the latest nerfs as they always make the most op toons and make things look easy, so trees/classes/weapons or whatever wind up getting nerfed.

Community Member

I've definitely worn ML8-10 Slavers+Ravenloft gear until level 29 a few times. Some decent gear around ML24 would be really nice lol.
    We did get some in the latest update, but not sure its enough to close the gap. KotB helped quite a bit but I'd have preferred all the items be ML20 instead of 21.

HP is far from the only damage mitigation, and I'd recommend you try to pick up a few more types PRR/MRR, Concealment (Dusk or Blurry items), Incorporeality (Ghostly item), Dodge (up to your armor cap, but usually via items), and active defenses (like Improved Uncanny Dodge).
    I've got some form of concealment on nearly every character. PRR is a lot harder as I can't figure out for the life of me how to get useful amounts of it. I have a lvl 30 paladin(first life, no tomes) who is balls-deep in Sacred Defender, wearing the best gear I can obtain without years of raiding, and still only has something like 250 PRR in stance, and about 1500 HP. He's survivable but the trade off is having sufficient DPS to be useful. There's also a gear problem there, but thats beside the point.

Are you using Epic Defensive Fighting? It's a free feat auto-granted at level 21 that gives 5-25% max HP bonus (but you can't throw spells past touch range and ranged combat is nerfed).
    Did NOT know that was auto-granted. I kept seeing it on the list but assumed it was something you had to take.

As a Barbarian, you're probably getting ~3-400 HP from your enhancements; with 85 Con you're getting 1,110 HP; 380 from Barbarian & Epic levels, 100 from Fury of the Wild, and without HP from items etc you'd be ~1900, which bumps to 2,375 with EDF. If you aren't using EDF yet, your 2,268 HP will bump to 2835, which should help a bunch
    Occult Slayer just got a T5 10% HP bonus as well, if that's an option for you.
    Should have that but will double-check.

It seems that drop rates are in some way tied to accounts. I've talked to several players who've observed this, including people with lower drop rates than me. I ran with a guy last week who had ransacked Sharn several times and only ever gotten 1 or 2 items. An hour of running with me and he had a finished set finally. And my luck is BAD. I don't know what the metric is but I think there's definitely something weird.

Quote Originally Posted by smokejumper89 View Post
    I've got some form of concealment on nearly every character. PRR is a lot harder as I can't figure out for the life of me how to get useful amounts of it. I have a lvl 30 paladin(first life, no tomes) who is balls-deep in Sacred Defender, wearing the best gear I can obtain without years of raiding, and still only has something like 250 PRR in stance, and about 1500 HP. He's survivable but the trade off is having sufficient DPS to be useful. There's also a gear problem there, but thats beside the point.

Did NOT know that (EDF) was auto-granted. I kept seeing it on the list but assumed it was something you had to take.

It seems that drop rates are in some way tied to accounts. I've talked to several players who've observed this, including people with lower drop rates than me. I ran with a guy last week who had ransacked Sharn several times and only ever gotten 1 or 2 items. An hour of running with me and he had a finished set finally. And my luck is BAD. I don't know what the metric is but I think there's definitely something weird.
    My Wizard melee has only like 150 PRR lol, although I have 1800 HP (2200 in Reaper). R3 soloable fairly comfortably though, so there's probably more going on than just PRR. Are you using Dire Charge, supported by Stunning Gear & Divine Might? Maybe twist Meld for a defensive clicky? Are you running Cocoon? What ED are you in?

Check your feats (sort by active, it's in a dropdown under Epic Feats IIRC). EDF is a huge defensive bonus for most toons

Drop rates being tied to accounts might be a thing, but I'm quite skeptical. It's certainly possible, but it seems a bit far-fetched. I'd guess it's more just statistical flukes showing through? Very hard to tell though.
    -Khysiria of Cannith

Community Member

You made a number of fantastic points.
    Thank you

The step from N to H is miniscule. I can't really tell the difference.
    It's miniscule, but its there. The incoming damage doesn't seem to be much higher, but the mobs have more HP.

There should never be a hard slap-down stepping from an easy difficulty to the next one up.
    Where this creates a very big problem for new players is that it leads to an ability-gap that isn't crossabale. If the step between H and E were small enough that with a little time and tinkering I could figure out what I'm doing wrong, then I could get better and go on to challenge higher difficulties. But as-is, it is a wall.

Now, I'm speaking broadly for "new players" here; I personally join reaper groups if they're doing something I want to run. I spend a lot of time dead, but in lower Rs my better-equipped characters do ok.

BTW, you may not want to do what I did, but it is effective. I spent about a month doing nothing but making trial iconic builds and running them solo through Disciples of Shar on HE using pretty much only the gear it's born in. It is a very hard test. If a build passes, it means it can handle low or no-shrine quests, packs of melee+ranged, handle traps, etc. etc.. Once you gear such a build, you're absolutely good for solo'ing all Elite content.
    I spin-up test builds on iconics all the time. My prefered "litmus" quest is Lords of Dust.

IMHO, it's worse than that. This is the ONLY MMO that lacks any form of gear progression whatsoever. INT, for instance, might and does show up on any item. You can't get an item with higher INT, /cheer, and pop it on as an upgrade. This is true for every single stat. You have to minutely plan the gear from L1 and every upgrade is a nightmare mishmash of idiosyncratic drops. Changing a single item typically means replacing at least 3 or 4 others as well.
    I'm not disagreeing with you and I wouldn't mind if they fixed it, but I will admit that "gear tetris" is one of my favorite parts of the game. Now if the drop-rates and gear deserts were fixed.

Cannith crafting helps to some extent,
    I use it a lot, and very little. In heroics its the best for stats, so I make stat/insightful stat bits on up to 21. After that I just wear the ml21s up to 29 when sharn gear kicks in(28 using slavers if I'm feeling fancy). At lvl 30 all I ever bother with is VERY occasionally an insightful stat because those can be especially challenging to slot. I think I'm doing that for 2 characters total. I did however make a lot of ml34 items before I started actually obtaining sharn gear.

Heh. They are ridiculously low and this is coming from someone that played Korean grinders (the notorious low-drop MMOs). IMHO, it's deliberate to force crystal buys rather than bugged.
    I don't believe its to force crystal buys because I just don't think they're that crafty. Why suspect conspiracy when simple incompetence will do? The ladder bug has been around how long?

However, I do agree. I would be MUCH happier spending crystals if doing so would not lead to another empty chest, but guarantee a choice from the full selection of potential drops.
    I don't like this because its blatantly pay-to-win(spend crystals = get loot). I don't like the terrible re-roll mechanic EITHER. What I'd rather see is some kind of progression mechanic. I think the raid rune system is the best thing that ever happened to the game, since it now means that yes, if I simply run the raid a predetermined number of times, I can get the specific item I need. What I want is something similar for all named items, or really any mechanic where I can be guaranteed X effort = Y item.

I don't mind spending, but when I buy something, I buy it. I don't buy a chance of getting it.

This isn't like other games where one drop is just an upgrade or where upgrades come from normal play. It's a game where you can't play the build at all until that house-of-cards called a gear-set is complete. Pull one item out, and it's highly likely to collapse.
    ^This.

I don't want to farm to play. I want to play.
    The only problem is... the game lacks any form of lateral progression. You can either grind out past lives or grind out gear to grind out past lives. There's absolutely nothing else to do to improve your character. I took to playing alts so I had more places to use all that gear I was grinding endlessly for. I've made most of my decisions based on "lets see, whats sitting unused on the mules?"

My useless bf alts to max prr i want sharn tank set n ravenloft mist set gets u 300 base w adamantium body

And 2-3k hp in us
    Last edited by mr420247; 02-20-2020 at 05:24 PM.
    Damonz Cannith

Community Member

Drop rates being tied to accounts might be a thing, but I'm quite skeptical. It's certainly possible, but it seems a bit far-fetched. I'd guess it's more just statistical flukes showing through? Very hard to tell though.
    Well I dont mean to imply it's deliberate or malicious on the part of the devs, I think its some kind of bug in the underlying system. Unfortunately theres no easy way to prove it.

Sharn drops seem alot lot lower then ravenlofts to me anyways
    Damonz Cannith

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123