Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    There's a lot of arguments we could make for keeping those buffs, but the big reason why they had to go had to do with balance, and not just on hardcore league.

Take a look at those buffs from game design perspective.

At low levels, they make you completely ignore a trap that would murder a newbie. You could walk into that acid or fire or what have you, stand around in it, take a shower, go get groceries, do laundry, take a long weekend and still be fine the next week.

Whereas a new or returning player character without access to a grandfathered-in guild, would die in a split-heartbeat, not even know what happened and likely bounce out of the game entirely. I have 40 hitpoints, what is this 50 cold damage twice, are you kidding me, how is that fair? Cue table-flip.

This puts level designers between a rock and a hard place. Do we balance the game for veterans who laugh at anything that does 30 elemental damage or less, and routinely swim in lava for the luls, or do we try and make new content that would draw new people in?

Oh, maybe we could do both? Maybe we could write a tricky script that would check every player in the dungeon for old-school guild buffs, and if they do have them, up the damage on everything for them specifically? Wait, that's not going to work either. One: what happens if your guild buffs expire mid-dungeon? Two: what's the point of upping trap or monster spell damage to counteract an existing buff, wouldn't that act make that buff meaningless, to begin with? Three: can you imagine the bugs that would come out of that?

If the buffs didn't make such a dramatic difference, we could argue about their effects being unimportant. But they are disruptive. In a way, they reduce your hitpoints bar to a binary value: you're either at full health, or you're dead. You either walk through **** without a care or you pop your soulstone and gasp at combat log. It's as if you had 1 hit point, and your Con modifier and other defenses meant nothing at all. It's a very narrow design frame for building content and systems.

I'm sorry these changes are hard to accept for some of you, but we did it for the long-term health of the game.

Thank you for reading this rather long-winded explanation.
    so are you going to dial back the elemental damage at low levels what we take now? And are you going to remove the ML 1 elemental resist potions from the DDO store since they’re obviously unbalanced?
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    so are you going to dial back the elemental damage at low levels what we take now? And are you going to remove the ML 1 elemental resist potions from the DDO store since they’re obviously unbalanced?
    "Golly, how come the devs keep ignoring me? It's like they never bother to interact with the player base. Also, they eat puppies during morning staff meetings"

IIRC those potions give 10 points in resist, not 30, not sure if it's stacking or not.
    On a related note, do you think SSG should remove SP pots from store? They are more powerful than those you can loot, and are pure p2w.
    Can we also remove supreme ability pots, OP pls nerf.

Personally I would rather delete my main than buy any of those pots for DDOP or AS but have no objection to them being in store.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkendex View Post
    IIRC those potions give 10 points in resist, not 30, not sure if it's stacking or not.
    On a related note, do you think SSG should remove SP pots from store? They are more powerful than those you can loot, and are pure p2w.
    Can we also remove supreme ability pots, OP pls nerf.

Personally I would rather delete my main than buy any of those pots for DDOP or AS but have no objection to them being in store.
    They go up to +20 elemental resist AFAIK they do NOT stack with regular elemental resist spells but they WILL stack with Alchemists' new Alchemical typed resist spell so ta da! 30 resist from level 1. Balance bullsh...pucky.

Spell pt potions? Supreme ability pots? on the regular servers not as big a deal on hardcore? Yeah definitely paying for an advantage. This is not a surprise.
    Blood Scented Axe Body Spray (Thelanis)
    Aelonwy - Wydavir - Metaluscious - Aertimys - Aelyrra - Kaelaria - Lunaura - Aelurawynn - Saurscha - Crystalorn - Aurvaeyn - Vaelyns - Wyllowynd

Quote Originally Posted by Aelonwy View Post
    They go up to +20 elemental resist AFAIK they do NOT stack with regular elemental resist spells but they WILL stack with Alchemists' new Alchemical typed resist spell so ta da! 30 resist from level 1. Balance bullsh...pucky.

Spell pt potions? Supreme ability pots? on the regular servers not as big a deal on hardcore? Yeah definitely paying for an advantage. This is not a surprise.
    Yep. The rah rah peeps are just playing Sargent Shultz at this point, "I know noszing!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Drwaz99 View Post
    While it's not difficult to figure out, it's a mindless, stupid and eye-bleeding grind. It's not too hard to figure out that is not what this game needs right now. 2-3 million karma ok, there's some pain for your gain. But really, the EPL's are not worth the pain of 6 million XP in off destinies/sphere's.
    Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    Profit quantity has been prioritized above product quality.

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

One thing I will mention - even though I'm not happy about the deserted non-HC servers, I will be signing on to the HC server to make a character for the "one per server" rewards that I get from the expansion packs and for the daily dice. That's the one thing that I really genuinely do like about the HC server. The free character transfer.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

I'm super turned off by the U45 quality of life reductions. It's easy enough for them to make arguments as to why these changes were made, but the fact of the matter is they only "fixed" these things because of Hardcore. If they've been planning to remove the resist shrines for 5 years, then why is it just now happening? Hardcore. If the boarding pass induction time was an accident, then why wasn't it fixed in the following patch? Why is it getting fixed right now? Hardcore. Other bugs got fixed, things that can't be mentioned here, that could have been fixed long ago. Why now? Hardcore. If these changes are good for the game, then why did we have to wait for Hardcore for you to fix them? The fact that the Hardcore cash cow is the catalyst for these changes is a massive turn off for me. I had fun in Hardcore last time, but i'll be skipping it this time.

Of course the devs have been adamantly denying that these changes have anything to do with Hardcore, but I have to call bs on that.
    Khyber: Furian <|> Puddingforge <|> Fingerstyle <|> Griefling <|> Cowpox

Quote Originally Posted by ahpook View Post
    Its not wrong. Unless you want easy mode with the rewards of R10 (or elite). Then it is wrong.
    Not all the rewards no...Of course not.

But given the age of the game and the sheer amount of veterans now playing on Reaper only, Heck the vast majority of players even before Reaper became a thing would never play Normal or Hard unless they had to or were specifically FARMING {plus the fact that going VIP gives you access to opening Elite yourself right from the start}....

Why not remove the XP Penalty from Normal and Hard? Just give the same XP for those difficulties as for Elite to help newbies and returnees {such as myself} catch up without having to join your Reaper groups right from the start?

I see the Elitism amongst these forums hasn't dissipated at all since I quit after Ravenloft came out - We still have the same old arguments about how newbies should just stick to Normal but HOW LONG do you expect those newbies to play on their own in Normal and Hard while you're amassing more and more loot and bonus abilities from TRing every 3 days?

I know I complained constantly about difficulty while I played this game but guess what....That wasn't why I left! I left because I could no longer afford VIP and therefore simply could no longer keep up with where the game was going. What would have been the point of me playing Normal or Hard on all my pre 3rd Life toons until I got to Epics only to continue farming Epic Normals ON MY OWN up to 30 over and over again?
    You don't think that I'd like to enjoy playing the game with others? The simple truth is that I could never find anyone else who enjoyed playing the game at my level for more than a few months at best before they quit! Most simply didn't have the addiction that I had that kept me playing solo for years on end.
    Losing VIP was the last straw for me....I don't even know right now if I can ever get back my enjoyment of this game even if I do go VIP again once the servers come up but this isn't about me anyway....It's about whether you want this game to carry on for another 10 years or not? Well do you? Then start promoting the other side of the game and not just Hardcore playstyles!

Welcome back Fran. Missed ya!
    Blood Scented Axe Body Spray (Thelanis)
    Aelonwy - Wydavir - Metaluscious - Aertimys - Aelyrra - Kaelaria - Lunaura - Aelurawynn - Saurscha - Crystalorn - Aurvaeyn - Vaelyns - Wyllowynd

Default I Like U-45

I like the changes made to U-45 a lot. I am not a huge Perma-Death player but like it some and will be playing once it goes live.
    Fizban - Avatar of Khyber
    Guild Leader of Legends: Where adventurers are born & Legends live.

I will not be playing Hardcore. Might not be playing DDO at all if Hardcore is as popular as it was last time, there will be no one left on my main server. Might have to try a different game

Default Play YOUR game

Regardless of all the changes that have come with the current update; we are all playing on the same field.

Aside from any DDO Store purchases, every single player has the same difficulty level on the Hardcore Season II server

I agree that some of the changes are a bit of a Stormreach shock, ie. Ship Resist buffs. However, this server isn't called Softcore Season II, so buck up gamers and see you in the graveyard.

-Bunker
    Mothergoose - Kardinal - Bunks

Founder
    Guild Leader - Death Smile

Well Due to the community urging me to play and set up Death Smile again - I am returning - my boycott will likely be expressed monetarily - I will not be spending tons of real money $$$ This time around.
    **Master of the Beyond**

Community Member

This forum probably does more to hurt the game than the updates they push. Should close them IMO.

I will be signing on to the HC server to make a character for the "one per server" rewards that I get from the expansion packs and for the daily dice.
    Main reason I plan to cancel my noVIP policy this HC season. I want second Elieri (and some other stuff).

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by LrdSlvrhnd View Post
    I understand getting rid of the resists. I don't like it, but I understand it. I don't understand getting rid of the crew, many of which didn't fully stack with the new-style buffs and most of which were like +1 to a particular skill even when it did stack. My cargo hold's gonna seem so empty without my loyal crew of many years standing around in a half-circle pretending they were at a meeting!
    At the very least, SSG should have offered topiary sculptures to replace our not-forgotten crew members.

Quote Originally Posted by cerocruz View Post
    This forum probably does more to hurt the game than the updates they push. Should close them IMO.
    Yes, we wouldn't want players to share their opinions. That would be terrible.

For Elemental resists they need to re-balance the old pots and wands then, and also give the other spell casters a 1 clickie resists button like Warlocks have.

I remember at release and over the years until we got the old ship buffs what a drain on mana it was dishing out resists to groups and the time it took, and leaving me with half my mana gone. Today though I suppose players dont stand still long enough to get buffs as they are very impatient, so it could be a mute point, but either way, give a 1 clickie resist button, and reduce the sp cost of elemental resists for casters.

Increase the duration of pots at low level, 3 minutes is not long enough, same for wands.

When I think back to the old days, all I think of is what a pain and a drag it was for resists, others have rose tinted glasses for the old days, but mainly playing a healer during them times I just think blegh, and the thought of going back to that now is a real put off for low levels.

I admit I enjoy going to the ship, buffing up at low level and running the same quests again for the 1000th time (not sarcasm) while I ran the TR train, zerging the harbour and market, or taking it slower if I have new players with me, and I am not the only one, others in my guild enjoy the same thing, while 1 guildie never ever took the old ship buffs.

Not happy to lose the ship buffs. I was going to resub this week but will take a break for a little bit while the Hardcore is on, so will see what new nerf and state the game is in when I am next back on. (perma-death blegh, good luck to those that enjoy it, but perma-death to me is a waste of time).

As to the new player question, you usually don't go 10 minutes without getting a blind guild invite, and their guild will usually be high level so the new player would of had all their guild resources available to them.

Remember we did take the time and effort to level the guilds to be able to get the buffs in the first place, we spent money (subs, guild xp pots and buying store points) and our time to do it which is an achievement for small guilds <10.

And yes as the poster was thinking, they did do it now to do balancing for the Hardcore server, it is the cheaper solution overall for the time and effort and wages for a Dev, just rip out the buffs everywhere, problem solved in their eyes. Sorry but this to me seems like an after thought or quick win as they say, even though it came up 5 yrs or so ago, that has been rushed in and not thought through properly, slap dash. And before I hear the well we told you 5 yrs ago, dont bother as we could easily provide an massive list of stuff you said you would do and have not going back 5 yrs, ahem ladder bug..........

On a different note, why don't the devs introduce a mentoring system, where if you complete quests with new players that have been with the game for say between 1-6 months, the group leader gets a reward of some kind, whether its bonus XP, or tokens to trade in for goodies. This would encourage more groups going up for new players, and some of the group leaders might teach the new players the game along with the different quest difficulties etc. You could have a new tick flag on the LFM "Novice Adventurer Party".

Also allow people to be able to click on a quest door and they can automatically set a LFM up with the quest name, saves you having to go through the massive list of quests to find the right one, so all you have to do is set the level range and click submit, that would get more people putting groups up, as its less effort and time when people are TR zerging which is what people mainly do.

P.S Coming soon to the store, 1 hour resist pots, only 100 store points each
    Last edited by Jumba; 02-19-2020 at 04:28 PM.
    Cannith Server

Community Member

I love how ship buffs that were never suppose to stay in the game as long as they did.... is what is breaking the camels back as far as player outrage.

Is everyone unable to play this game without crutches? Sure resists are nice, but not entirely necessary.

And folks say the game isn't challenging enough and yet when they take something out to make it more challenging for the general player base, all **** breaks lose.

They're gone, move on.

Karnasis (Human Wizard, Pale Master, Level 27), Taldall (Half-Orc, Monk- Perpetually abandoned)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZTBt7oar9w

Wouldn't it be funny if the OP was on the hardcore server advertising her guild?
    kruemeli of Orien - Leader of the "Merry" Hobbits https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...20#post5002220
    It is okay to be "merry": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjOOKb-DFZs
    I just Keep quiet and think.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYP8M06A8W0

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678