Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Community Member

Awesome! I think I've found what I want to do with me next character! Thanks, @kutalp!

On the other hand, what makes some servers more popular than others?
    Last edited by Waveclaw; 02-23-2020 at 02:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Melkazar View Post
    Welcome aboard. So many good suggestions here that I will only weigh in on one.

I run a ranger/rogue. It takes only one level of ranger to find every trap in the game on epic elite...
    ...only one level of ROGUE - like you said.

Quote Originally Posted by Kutalp View Post
    I advice buying 32 point and veteran II. A couple of account based Bank and Crafting storage updates (only account not character based ones for the start).
    I would definitely advise NOT buying those things. You will unlock 32 point and Vet 1 well before reaching level 20 on your first character. You will also have a free "lesser heart of wood" which you should save. Once you have unlocked 32 point builds, any 28 point characters you want to keep playing can use the heart to re-spec as 32 point builds.

New players don't need Vet II - its pointless to jump in as a level 7 character without first earning the experience. You'll just end up even more lost and confused.

All adventure packs worth the dime. I advice buying Ravenloft which also gives a very good Greatcrossbow/Staff/Dagger for free after completing the very first quest of Ravenloft pack. The developers who are responsible for creating and updating the Adventures are doing a great job.
    Adventure packs are pretty much the only thing new players should be buying. I agree Ravenloft is a great buy as its one of the best overall packs/expansions. You get a LOT of content and the gear is still viable. Everyone says get Gianthold. Personally I hate it. It's visually ugly, frustrating to play, and the gear is mostly obsolete. With Ravenloft, Sands, and Sharn, I'm glad to be able to pretty much skip Gianthold nowdays. I freely admit that's my own, minority opinion, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Katalissa View Post
    I would definitely advise NOT buying those things. You will unlock 32 point and Vet 1 well before reaching level 20 on your first character. You will also have a free "lesser heart of wood" which you should save. Once you have unlocked 32 point builds, any 28 point characters you want to keep playing can use the heart to re-spec as 32 point builds.

New players don't need Vet II - its pointless to jump in as a level 7 character without first earning the experience. You'll just end up even more lost and confused.

Adventure packs are pretty much the only thing new players should be buying. I agree Ravenloft is a great buy as its one of the best overall packs/expansions. You get a LOT of content and the gear is still viable. Everyone says get Gianthold. Personally I hate it. It's visually ugly, frustrating to play, and the gear is mostly obsolete. With Ravenloft, Sands, and Sharn, I'm glad to be able to pretty much skip Gianthold nowdays. I freely admit that's my own, minority opinion, though.

I respect everyones opinions but,

It takes ages for a new player even a long time casual player who runs characters at many different servers and creates new charaters to try new things and explore the game. Some one can, indeed , reach 32 point and both vetran status much faster with vip bonuses plus the shop xp boosts and a clear grind without even enjoying the game. But this usually burns the players who wish to explore further and wish to take their time to enjoy the game.

I also believe monster manuals worth the dime.

The point is, I humbly point out permanent and long time bonuses that they can use even if they play casually and read each conversation at quests and events (which is what I do even if I played them a hundred of times before). They can use those bonuses when ever they wish without worrying about the countdown timers between real life issues.

Players will want to create new accounts server and interserver wise and wish to level up and explore more of the content quicker (Mind you not speaking of sensless Zerg rush) aswell.

(Meanwhile I never tell any new player to buy Inquisitve and Warlock or anyother Power combo builds over trees, classes and destinies just to grind to death untill he reaches top past lives. This is a playerbase killer)

About adventure packs, Gianthold has good spots and boring spots I agree. Anyhow I would also advice buying Keep on the borderlands.

I am trying to aid newcomers and returners who didnt achive those yet by simply telling them to spend where it worths it; without a zerg or fast burner boredom requirement.

This is my humble point of view; not the best of anything.

Dirty pieces of eight.
    Last edited by Kutalp; 02-23-2020 at 12:32 PM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-vgrCICAf0
    Basements & Rogue Dinosaurs

Quote Originally Posted by Waveclaw View Post
    Awesome! I think I've found what I want to do with me next character! Thanks, @kutalp!

On the other hand, what makes some servers more popular than others?

You are wellcome friend.

Just to note down, there is more of these information when you hit level 20+ which Epoic destinies kick in. But that is the backbone ; the spine for sure.

About servers,

The most popular servers right now are Orien, Cannith and Ghallanda.

A server being the default server (which is usually redifined by the game company) makes it more popular than others.

Khyber and Thelanis were once default servers as well as Cannith and Ghallanda. Some very old gamers still have their guilds there.

Wayfinder is the emptist server unless the company decides the opposite. (Meanwhile good Wayfinder guilds do exist but the server is not as more populated)

Please take your time and enjoy the stay.
    Last edited by Kutalp; 02-23-2020 at 12:30 PM.

Community Member

Thanks for the suggestions! Although it might be a long time before I've saved up enough DDO Points for any adventure packs... : \

Glad to hear that it's only whether the server is/had been the default one altering the population, not because of its performance : )

I'm coming across a few Cannith Crafting recipes that requires Powdered Blood. I've had it drop once, but forgot about the location....
    Where might it drop from?

Quote Originally Posted by Waveclaw View Post
    I'm coming across a few Cannith Crafting recipes that requires Powdered Blood. I've had it drop once, but forgot about the location....
    Where might it drop from?
    Powdered Blood is one of the "uncommon" Tier 2 ingreds. Tier 2 drops in quests with an adjusted level of 6-10.*

(* Tier 1 is 1-5, Tier 3 is 11-15 - you see the pattern)

Also, PB is an "Arcane" ingredient, so that only drops in some locations (not moss/mushrooms, for example, which only drop "Natural" ingreds).

If you download ED's Crafting Planner, there are links from every listed ingredient to where you can best farm them. It's a pretty great resource.

o https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post5886011

I respect everyones opinions but,

It takes ages for a new player even a long time casual player who runs characters at many different servers and creates new charaters to try new things and explore the game. Some one can, indeed , reach 32 point and both vetran status much faster with vip bonuses plus the shop xp boosts and a clear grind without even enjoying the game. But this usually burns the players who wish to explore further and wish to take their time to enjoy the game.

I also believe monster manuals worth the dime.

The point is, I humbly point out permanent and long time bonuses ...
    I hear what you're saying, but it all depends on what the New Player is willing to spend, vs. what they want to see pay for itself in the long run.

If they are indeed F2P, then they want adventure packs. Packs give more favor, and favor gives more DDO Points, which then gives more packs, and on you go. Things like Vet 2 and 32 point builds give nothing but a bit of a short cut - and give no Favor/DP back in return.

So, while really nice, those fall into the "bells and whistles" category, imo. More, since they can be earned for free, and long before you "need" them, there is no need to rush and get them. 28 point builds, from Level 1, work just fine. And, meanwhile, quest packs help pay for themselves w/ favor, DP that you don't need to spend if you wait to earn 32 point builds and Vet II.

(Some of the MM's do too, a bit - with Favor or Shards, depending on the pack.)

I am of the belief that a new player should not buy ~anything~ other than packs (and the Shared Bank, see next) until they have "enough" packs to get them to 20 and back. Now, admittedly, "enough" is very subjective - but that's the first goal.

The only "non-pack" items I could recommend are 1) Shared Bank (but not right away, after a couple/few lower-level packs), and ~some~ RL cash purchase for Premium. Those two, not immediately but earlier than later, make a huge difference for quality of play in the game. Everything else... ymmv, and, unlike packs, there is no return on the DP invested.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dog View Post
    Powdered Blood is one of the "uncommon" Tier 2 ingreds. Tier 2 drops in quests with an adjusted level of 6-10.*

(* Tier 1 is 1-5, Tier 3 is 11-15 - you see the pattern)

Also, PB is an "Arcane" ingredient, so that only drops in some locations (not moss/mushrooms, for example, which only drop "Natural" ingreds).

If you download ED's Crafting Planner, there are links from every listed ingredient to where you can best farm them. It's a pretty great resource.

o https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post5886011

I hear what you're saying, but it all depends on what the New Player is willing to spend, vs. what they want to see pay for itself in the long run.

If they are indeed F2P, then they want adventure packs. Packs give more favor, and favor gives more DDO Points, which then gives more packs, and on you go. Things like Vet 2 and 32 point builds give nothing but a bit of a short cut - and give no Favor/DP back in return.

So, while really nice, those fall into the "bells and whistles" category, imo. More, since they can be earned for free, and long before you "need" them, there is no need to rush and get them. 28 point builds, from Level 1, work just fine. And, meanwhile, quest packs help pay for themselves w/ favor, DP that you don't need to spend if you wait to earn 32 point builds and Vet II.

(Some of the MM's do too, a bit - with Favor or Shards, depending on the pack.)

I am of the belief that a new player should not buy ~anything~ other than packs (and the Shared Bank, see next) until they have "enough" packs to get them to 20 and back. Now, admittedly, "enough" is very subjective - but that's the first goal.

The only "non-pack" items I could recommend are 1) Shared Bank (but not right away, after a couple/few lower-level packs), and ~some~ RL cash purchase for Premium. Those two, not immediately but earlier than later, make a huge difference for quality of play in the game. Everything else... ymmv, and, unlike packs, there is no return on the DP invested.
    Was reading back through this thread and was about to post something very similar to this. Great explanation and couldn't agree more. +1 :P

Also, certain Adventure Packs are necessary for unlocking some great Quality-of-Life perks via specific-Patron Favor, like the 3rd Bank Slot (Vault of Night), or a free Portable Hole (GiantHold). And all the Universal Trees can be unlocked for free with the right packs (or combination of them).

Some of the favor goals have work-arounds, but "earlier than later" is better. The more good stuff you don't have to pay for, the more DP (and time!) you save.

Just as an "Oh, and btw".

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dog View Post
    Also, certain Adventure Packs are necessary for unlocking some great Quality-of-Life perks via specific-Patron Favor, like the 3rd Bank Slot (Vault of Night), or a free Portable Hole (GiantHold). And all the Universal Trees can be unlocked for free with the right packs (or combination of them).

Some of the favor goals have work-arounds, but "earlier than later" is better. The more good stuff you don't have to pay for, the more DP (and time!) you save.

Just as an "Oh, and btw".

I truly agree with most of your wise words. My greetings and salutations to all long time players giving good advice to our new fellow gamers who post at the forums.

About 32 point and Veteran 2, what I exactly mean is this;

A new or returning or old time casual and even permadeath player can start a brand new toon with more than a single stat to focus at. (Simplest example Rogue mech Int max, good dex, enough cons and str. sadly still not enough for extra char and umd)

The player can even play permadeath and each character he creates is permnently a 32 pt and lvl 7 if he choose to do so. (As a long time player for over the long breaks to game and long hours of afk gameplaying sessions I had had lots of low to medium level toons and alts scattered across the servers, once. Only a few toons coulkd unlock several rewards since alt life was a joy for each toon and the nerd who puppeted those)

What is the most important thing about the game ? Adventure packs and expansion packs for sure.

Crush yer enemies. See them driven before ye. And to hear the lamentation of their ...(ok wrong theme)...

Then the ability to be more mobile, but ofcourse the ability to survive and to unlock the most of what adventures offer the player.

* ( Human ranged rogue. Dear developers please offer upgraded version for free to play and also please develop advanced Human/rogue versions for ingame shop. You will not regret the happy threads and happy sales )

Just humble scratch notes from a long time player with sentimental pragmatist (which is a blast off spiritual and intellectual experience !) approach to kick starter gaming experience.

Yours sincerely a random DDO toon.
    Last edited by Kutalp; 02-25-2020 at 11:34 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234