Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dog View Post
    This is true of any build if you can't read a plan, or try to "fake" it by memory. Then, yes, fails are all too easy, with any build.

If, otoh, you can remember to "add X-different class at Y level" - then there's nothing particularly challenging about multiclassing. Get the levels in the right order, done.

Often those extra classes make all the difference (e.g., 1 level (only) of Barbarian on any ranged build makes running backwards while shooting MUCH more effective!).
    The challenge isn't remembering what to take when. The challenge is knowing how various classes / builds play in the game and understanding what it is you're trying to achieve with a multiclass.

Experience also helps avoid mistakes that happen when one builds based on assumptions rather than experience, e.g. taking feats / abilities that sound good but aren't, trying to stack non-stacking bonuses etc. That's why I recommend at least 1 heroic life on a single-class build, just to get a feel for the game.
    "People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. ... People's heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true." Terry Goodkind

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kutalp View Post
    Yes I am aware. Been here for sometime.

Thats not that easy for newcomers but also tough to unlock at all servers unless someones a zergomaniac.
    Was actually saying for the benefit of the new player.

Community Member

Okay! Thanks for the advice!

EDIT: Also, I found a feature called "Challenge". What does it do and how can I gain access to that?
    Last edited by Waveclaw; 02-12-2020 at 11:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Moeballah View Post
    Was actually saying for the benefit of the new player.

Ofcourse you do. About my statement, I just shared my humble experience about the sluggish favor system and how tedious it can be for new comers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-vgrCICAf0
    Basements & Rogue Dinosaurs

Quote Originally Posted by Waveclaw View Post
    Okay! Thanks for the advice!

EDIT: Also, I found a feature called "Challenge". What does it do and how can I gain access to that?
    What you are - probably - referring to are the House Cannith and Eveningstar Challenges. These are special dungeons with unique mechanics that all run on timers. Unlike other pay-to-play adventure packs, these can be accessed by free-to-play players (or premiums who don't own the pack) by visiting the token vendor each day who will give you a token good for one entry into any one challenge. Stockpile a bunch of them each day and you can marathon your way through challenges.

In House C, there are 4 main areas, the Extraplanar Vault, the Lava Caves, Kobold Island, and the Mansion. The Vault and the Caves are Kobold mining adventures lifted from the Crystal Cove event. You guide and protect kobold miners who pick up crystals and bring them back to a base camp area. Kobold Island uses stationary extractors that you must repair and guard while they dig up crystals. The Mansion is a large sprawling race where you try to find the sigils to open doors and assassinate several named enemies.

Each of the 4 main areas has several variants on how the area works...colossal crystal in the Lava Caves has one GIANT crystal that is worth a ton of points, but the kobold who picks it up can barely move because it is so heavy and enemies will spawn in to specifically target him. All of the areas have star challenges relating to doing various things....like not allowing any kobolds to die, or killing a certain named enemy who is out of the way of the primary objectives, or mining X amount of crystals. Earning stars gives more rewards, and more favor (up to 6 for each challenge variant). You use the rewards from these challenges at the challenge vendor to buy challenge-specific equipment for a variety of level ranges. Some of that equipment has been made obsolete by the power creep of time, but a few (like the rock boots) are still really good.

Getting enough favor with House C by doing challenges will also let you unlock more advanced crafting options and the Artificer class so you don't have to buy it with DDO store points.
    Kobold sentient jewel still hate you.

Community Member

Cool! Thanks for the information!

Another question, is it possible for characters of any class to use "Trap the Soul" spell to create soul gems? Or is it only a wizard thing?

Warlocks and Sorcerers can select Trap The Soul as one of their level up selections. Any class with enough Use Magic Device can activate scrolls of TtS, but those are not vendor-sold scrolls, so the supply is pretty limited.

Another option is to make a Vacuum II greensteel weapon, which will proc Trap The Soul on enemies once in a while. But that's not a very good use of fairly rare Shroud ingredients, since the Shroud is not pugged 150 times a day on each server anymore.

Warlocks are the best bet at it - their version of Trap The Soul doesn't require the khyber shards, so they can spam that sucker and bring in tons of soul gems.

Community Member

Ahh, I get it. Thanks!

What do you all suggest about all those potions found during quests? Should I keep them for later, letting them fill up my inventory, or sell some of them (specific types)?

Potions to keep:

Elemental resists
    Remove Curse
    Remove Blindness (unless you are always wearing a blindness immunity item)
    Lesser Restoration
    Haste
    Cure moderate or better (I only keep cure serious, but I've already got a giant collection)
    Invisibility (only one on this list that cannot be store bought)

Those are the most common useful potions. Much rarer are better defensive spells like Death Ward, Freedom of Movement. You definitely want to keep those but you will also almost never find those as chest loot. They mostly come from daily dice rewards or turning in collectibles to the collectors.

(and of course by "keep" I mean don't sell to a vendor...obviously holding onto a potion you never use is pointless, might as well free up the inventory slot)

Community Member

Okay, thanks! I can finally clean up some of those potions that I don't use!

EDIT: When I was looking through my potions, I found some saying that they give +X Alchemical Bonus and some saying +X Enhancement Bonus to target. What are the difference between the two?
    Last edited by Waveclaw; 02-14-2020 at 06:10 AM.

Okay, thanks! I can finally clean up some of those potions that I don't use!

EDIT: When I was looking through my potions, I found some saying that they give +X Alchemical Bonus and some saying +X Enhancement Bonus to target. What are the difference between the two?
    Bonuses of the same type do not typically stack. For example, items that give a +X to strength, Bull's Strength potions, and the Bull's Strength spell all are typed as an enhancement bonus. Thus, only the highest value will apply. If you're wearing an item that gives +3 to strength and you drink a Bull's Strength potion, which gives +4 to strength, your strength will only go up by 1 point since the bonuses don't stack. Alchemical is a different type of bonus so it will stack. Wearing a piece of gear that gives +3 to strength, and then drinking a +1 alchemical bonus to strength potion will, for the duration of the potion give you +4 to strength.

This page on the Wiki gives a little more information about stacking bonuses.
    https://ddowiki.com/page/Stack
    Last edited by Rauven; 02-14-2020 at 07:33 AM. Reason: bloody typos

Community Member

Okay! I understand this now! Thanks!

EDIT: I found some enemies in Hard mode of the Irestone Inlet that have something like <Fey Touched> under their names, and some with red/golden crown above their heads. What ARE they? They seems to deal extra damage and is very hard to kill....

Also, where do I find withered cryptmoss? And any suggestions for a fast way to level up on cannith crafting (and getting essences?)
    Last edited by Waveclaw; 02-15-2020 at 05:54 AM.

EDIT: I found some enemies in Hard mode of the Irestone Inlet that have something like <Fey Touched> under their names, and some with red/golden crown above their heads. What ARE they? They seems to deal extra damage and is very hard to kill....
    Those are monster champions. They only appear on hard, elite, and reaper and have buffs that make them more difficult than your standard, run of the mill, mob.

Also, where do I find withered cryptmoss? And any suggestions for a fast way to level up on cannith crafting (and getting essences?)
    Withered Cryptmoss can be farmed in the following quests at the appropriate difficulty.
    • The Last Stand (heroic cassual)
    • A Small Problem (heroic hard)
    • The Depths of Despair
    • The Depths of Darkness
    • The Depths of Discord
    • The Depths of Doom
    • Tangleroot Gorge (Quest Arc)
    • Tomb of the Sanguine Heart (heroic hard)
    • The Prisoner (heroic casual)

Getting Cannith Essences is best done by running high level content as that loot will give the most essences. If you don't have a high level character with which you can run legendary Ravenloft or Sharn, that trash loot will give the most essences, or other high level epic quests, then you'll have to make due with the essences you get from lower level content. Unfortunately, they tend to not give very many per item. If you can get to rank 50 favor with House Cannith you will gain access to a vendor that sells Minor Crafting Experience Elixirs and +10% Crafting Success Percentage Boosters. There is also a quest you can pick up from Felix d'Cannith in The Harbor or from Vertigo in The Marketplace that will send you to Maker in the House Kundarak Crafting Hall where you'll receive a mission that will guild you through the crafting process and upon completion give you the option of:
    • a Lesser Pendant of Travel (Bound to Character) - don't take this
    • a Greater Crafting Experience Elixir (Bound to Account)
    • 5 +25% Crafting Success Percentage Boosters (Bound to Account)

This quest can be done only once per character per life, but if you make a new character you can do the mission, collect the reward, then delete the character.

Tips for leveling Cannith Crafting.
    • 1st, do Maker's mission.
    • Gather a bunch of essences. It's better to have a fairly large quantity so that you can drink an experience elixir then spend those 30 mins raising your level. I personally try to have ~20k essences before I do a leveling session, but my CC level is fairly high so I need a lot for the shards I'm crafting. When starting out a few thousandth should be good, but the more you have the longer you can stand at the machine leveling.
    • If you can wait for it, although they tend to be fairly rare, occasionally the DDO Bonus Days! weekend is a bonus to Cannith crafting experience. Level then for maximum levelage.
    • Get to 50 House Cannith favor and buy a large stack of success boosters and some experience elixirs. The success boosters and experience elixirs from Maker are better, but one experience elixir lasts 30 mins, while you'll go through many, many more success boosters during that time. Keep that in mind if you farm Maker for boosters and elixirs.
    • When at the machine, drink your experience elixir, use success boosters (I find they work best if you take them out of your green bag), and try to craft the highest level minimum level shard you can (this is all you should ever craft when trying to level). Even if the chance to craft is low the successes will result in large experience gains, particularly at higher levels. Success boosters will mean you fail less often. The min lvl shards you make don't go to waste, though. You can either use them to make gear for yourself, or disjunct an item (this can be done with weapons bought from a basic weapons vendor, daggers are cheap), apply the min lvl shard, then dissolve the item. Doing this will get you a little experience, as well
    • Alternatively, you can try for a min level shard that you have a higher chance to craft, meaning fewer failures and thus less essences lost on failures, but you will gain less experience and the process will take longer.

Artificers get bonuses to Cannith Crafting as they level, which can get you a small boost in the beginning and a total of +10 to Cannith Crafting at level 20, but bonus is more beneficial at higher Cannith Crafting levels.

ETA: Forgot to mention. You only need about level 100 in Cannith Crafting to craft several useful shards. The effects are scaled so while at CC level 100 you'll only be able to craft a min lvl 10 shard, you can, if you have the essences, solicit on your server for a higher level crafter to craft you a higher than you can craft unbound min lvl shard, that you can use with the shards you can craft to get high scaled values.
    Last edited by Rauven; 02-15-2020 at 11:14 AM.

Best tip for Cannith essences: Loot every chest you can, use what is a good drop for you (not much), and take the rest to House K or House C and go to the Crafting Hall and find the deconstruction machine and turn all of those items into essences. You'll get a bit of cash (a lot less than selling, but not nothing), and start collecting essences. You will need many, many, many, many, many essences, so the earlier you start the better.

You also want to run the Crafting Tutorial - for the end reward, be sure to pick the GREATER CRAFTING XP ELIXIR. Save it. Keep an eye out in the Forums for a bonus weekend with boosted Crafting XP. The Weekend and the Elixir will stack. Then take all those saved up essences and craft like a madman. You will have several levels already just from turning items into mulch, and with the double bonus kicking in, your crafting levels will skyrocket.

Community Member

Oops, haha. Wish I'd known earlier..... I finished the quest and chose the travel pendent way WAY too fast.... :P

Thanks for the informations!

Also, for the withered cryptmoss, does all difficulties of The Depth series drops them?

What are the common uses of platinum?

And, if a character went through Reincarnation, will they loose all the items, crafting levels, and currency they currently have in possession?
    Last edited by Waveclaw; 02-16-2020 at 08:55 AM.

When you get enough House P favor, you will get the Phiarlan Pendant of Time, which gives a not-in-dungeon runspeed boost that is better than basically anything else and is infinitely reusable.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Matuse View Post
    When you get enough House P favor, you will get the Phiarlan Pendant of Time, which gives a not-in-dungeon runspeed boost that is better than basically anything else and is infinitely reusable.
    Okay! I'll keep this in mind! : )

For the withered cryptmoss, does all difficulties in "The Depth" series drops them?

Where can I find items with augment slots?

Sorry for the shower of questions.... :P
    Last edited by Waveclaw; 02-16-2020 at 10:41 AM.

Augment slots can appear on random loot. When you look at a piece it will show the augment slot in its effects description. Weapons have red slots, armor has blue slots, accessories can have colorless, yellow, or green slots. Different types of augments go in different color slots. Named items will have specifically laid out slots, and can have variant colors (Orange, Purple) which never show up on random loot.

Blue Augments are defensive in nature. They give things like +AC, +HP, increase the max dex bonus of an armor, reduce spellcasting failure for arcane classes.
    Yellow Augments are utility in nature. They give things like spellpoints, underwater breathing, elemental resistance, striding.
    Red Augments are offensive in nature. They give spellpower, add metal properties to weapon, or on-hit bonus damage.
    Colorless Augments raise stats: Str/Dex/Int/etc

Blue augments can go in Blue, Green, or Purple slots.
    Yellow augments can go in Yellow, Green, or Orange slots.
    Red augments can go in Red, Purple, or Orange slots.
    Colorless augments can go in ANY slot.

Most of the numerical augment are not very great. They lag way behind current levels of boost. A level 12 red augment which gives fire damage gives 1d4 fire damage per hit. A lootgen level 12 item with the Flaming prefix will have 3d6 on it. The 1d4 kind of gets lost in there.

The valuable augments (other than named ones) are things like Fear Immunity, Deathblock, Heavy Fortification, Vitality (+20 hp that stacks with basically everything), Good Luck...things which either don't expire with higher levels or have effects which are fairly rare to find on other gear so even if a better numerical value exists, you probably don't have it on another piece. Certain red slot spellpowers are also useful - a Ruby of Devotion is very useful for Monks, Paladins, Bards - classes who heal but also hit stuff, and want to add some devotion to their hitty weapon so they don't have to constantly swap back and forth while fighting between a caster stick and a hitty stick so their healing gets SOME kind of boost.

Oops, haha. Wish I'd known earlier..... I finished the quest and chose the travel pendent way WAY too fast.... :P

Thanks for the informations!

Also, for the withered cryptmoss, does all difficulties of The Depth series drops them?

What are the common uses of platinum?

And, if a character went through Reincarnation, will they loose all the items, crafting levels, and currency they currently have in possession?
    Platinum is used for making quite a lot of purchases like potions, scrolls, wands, spell components etc from in game vendors. There is also the Auction House (AH) but be careful since prices can be very high for things. Characters have a plat cap of roughly 4 million plat (I forget the exact number).

As for Reincarnation, a character that goes through this process retains everything they have be it items, Platinum, crafting levels, tomes etc. However, one thing that it does reset when it comes to crafting is the XP you get from making shards so you will again get full XP for making them which is handy for levelling up but your actual crafting level will remain untouched. Your character also gain extra build points for use at character creation up to a maximum of 36 points. Along with all of this you gain a passive past life feat which can stack up to 3 times, have a read here for more detail ---> https://ddowiki.com/page/Past_Life_Feats

Stoner81.

Community Member

Okay, thanks for the information!

About stats and builds, I've made a new character due to the fact that my previous one is obviously a failed build... :P
    What does the "stats" label in the class path refer to? Are they the "best" build the game suggests if you want to take that path?

Also, which enhancement skills in "Arcane Archer", "Deepwood Stalker", and "Tempest" works like the default Sneaking skill (one that can be toggled on/off)?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast