Community Member

Question Coming back after 3 years away

Well its been a while since I have been a regular. Whenever I m away I miss DDO. That was my second break from the game and I am looking to get back to it. I was hoping to start out soloing for a bit to get my legs back under me and then start working toward some party builds. I am not much of a raid guy, never went in for all the TR stuff. That may be because the groups I was with back they never were either. The reason of this post is I am looking for a good solo build to start back to DDO, something not totally gear dependent and fun. I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Also if there are any good guides posted out there I would appreciate that information as well. I have some of my favorite builds on each of the servers but I am seeing that things have changed so its time to start fresh and grind out some more relevant mains. I m surprised I still see a lot of old builds out there still, which as long as you are in the game and having fun that is perfect. Looking for fun coming back this time so if anyone out there has a build that they are having fun with I would love to hear about it.

Quote Originally Posted by deangri View Post
    Well its been a while since I have been a regular. Whenever I m away I miss DDO. That was my second break from the game and I am looking to get back to it. I was hoping to start out soloing for a bit to get my legs back under me and then start working toward some party builds. I am not much of a raid guy, never went in for all the TR stuff. That may be because the groups I was with back they never were either. The reason of this post is I am looking for a good solo build to start back to DDO, something not totally gear dependent and fun. I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Also if there are any good guides posted out there I would appreciate that information as well. I have some of my favorite builds on each of the servers but I am seeing that things have changed so its time to start fresh and grind out some more relevant mains. I m surprised I still see a lot of old builds out there still, which as long as you are in the game and having fun that is perfect. Looking for fun coming back this time so if anyone out there has a build that they are having fun with I would love to hear about it.

Wellcome back dear friend.

Rogue Mechanic is a nice one. Pure rogue. You need to keep and eye of the prr/mrr, health, healing amplficiation and elemntal resistance/absorbtion items. Human 18 intelligence.14 constitution. 12 strength. All level ups in to Dexterity. Pretty much straightforward build with Mechanic and Human enhancement trees.

Rogue10/Bard10 also has synergy. Rogue/Monk, Rogue/Favored soul are others to consider. They need different ability score settings though.

I advice 32 point build and veteran 7 upgrades if you do not own yet.

Ravenloft, Masterminds of Sharn, Menace of the underdark are worth the dime. (Actually all adventure packs and expansions are worth the dime)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stoner81 View Post
    What do you enjoy playing? Melee? Ranged? Caster?

Stoner81.
    I like playing a lot of classes, but I have never come to like pure casters. I like multiclassing caster levels for buffs and heals. I loved my healing monk back in the day as well as my healbot cleric. If you have a good solo build I would love to give it a try but if it is a pure caster I have my doubts it will keep my interest.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kutalp View Post
    Wellcome back dear friend.

Rogue Mechanic is a nice one. Pure rogue. You need to keep and eye of the prr/mrr, health, healing amplficiation and elemntal resistance/absorbtion items. Human 18 intelligence.14 constitution. 12 strength. All level ups in to Dexterity. Pretty much straightforward build with Mechanic and Human enhancement trees.

Rogue10/Bard10 also has synergy. Rogue/Monk, Rogue/Favored soul are others to consider. They need different ability score settings though.

I advice 32 point build and veteran 7 upgrades if you do not own yet.

Ravenloft, Masterminds of Sharn, Menace of the underdark are worth the dime. (Actually all adventure packs and expansions are worth the dime)
    Rogue/Monk sounds appealing would that be a melee or ranged build? I was not sure multiclassing still could manage the game, when I left there was a lot of emphasis on pure builds and I was not sure that was the trend.

Default Both roleplay and long time fun issues

Quote Originally Posted by deangri View Post
    Rogue/Monk sounds appealing would that be a melee or ranged build? I was not sure multiclassing still could manage the game, when I left there was a lot of emphasis on pure builds and I was not sure that was the trend.

Monk also uses dexterity or wisdom. The downside is the extra fun you would have from disarming traps, finding secret optionals and optional choces at dialogues while questing vanish if you are not a rogue or bard. Rogue beats allmost anyother class at being jack of all trades (eventhough bards have spells and enchantments, their powers dontwork for non combat conditions as good a rogue can twist and turn around things)

I prefer Mechanic rogue/human to a bard/human but they can somehow be combined. I also love the virtual roleplay there.

Monk is more durable after a certain level but alot more boring and stuck at shurikens and unarmed combat if you ask me. Anyhow Monk is also lawful and you roleplay to be a monastery guy, travelling the realms (cant justify that similar to casters that have no reason to travel instead of doing research or practice mind controlling wyrms or making a fortunethrough magic and alchemy to hire a mercenary army to run your errands for you)

Evasion, reflex saves, alchemical traps and obviously crossbow ranged makesrogue a good choice even if not the best warrior or the drolling power maniac magical battery. Monk have better saves and more badass Bruce Norris moments if you like 'martial arts ' action movie style.

Favored soul is one of the best self and team survivalist classes but it has the same restricitions similar to monks. Plus a bit of fundementalism kicks in...

If you re more in to a pokemon guy who also enjoys guns and blast offs ; then you may like Artificer (madgone scientist from Back to the future) summons robo dog, Palemasterwizard (undead copy cat necromancer mage) summons skeletal knight or Druid (hobo hermit biten by animals) summons wolf (also morphs in to wolf, bear and wierd powers of nature) with an additional 2 or more (2-6) rogue levels.

The Devious Puppet Master:

Palemaster with 2 rogue levels and full skeleton. Greatcrossbow/Full Skeleton kinght/Conjurer/Evoker. (Which can troll with full Skeletal knight, cheap scroll summon, army of enchanted enemies aswell with a bit of item support for extra enchantment dcs)

Focus at Conjuration clouds (gathering enemies once place) and using lightning bolt then chain lightning at higher levels works fast and easy. You can summon a rat or bat (with scroll) but also enchant enemy npcs once you pull them in to the cloud. (Conjuration and enchantment scholls have many debuffs to weaken enemy npcs vs evocation and enchantment spells) Cheapest way to fight with spells is gathering ncs and casting clouds then casting chain lighting. A palemaster wizard with a Greatcrossbow and Conjuration/Evocation focus is pretty reliable with a full built skeletal knight. Enchantment spels (not the enchantment debuffs) are usually more expensive then conjuration clouds and chain lighting spell.

So it is up to you. If you wish to enjoy every single piece of quests and story line than it is roguesand bards. They're both viable at ranged and melee combat aswell. (Crossbows are better than throwing weapons lately) Casters have more innate self healing and wide variety of spells, anyhow you ll find yourself using cheaper spells and potions , wands and scrolls to save mana, which is same with Rogue or Bard gameplay...So Thats all about them.

The Streetwise Badass Rogue:

Best survival feats: Precision, Pointblankshot, Rapid shot, Rapid reload, Precise shot, Improved critical ranged. (All ranged feats)

Rogue feats: At level 10 Improved evasion as first rogue special skill. Second one is up to you. Slippery mind (works better with item support and Heroism/Greater heroism effects and insightful bonuses from items), Defensive roll (works best with item support) and Skill mastery (gives only +1 to all skills) works at any type of rogue build be it ranged or melee. Other rogue feats work only at melee and sneak melee range. (So not good)

All the skills at Rogue skill tree, including Use magic device. Extra tips: Best ability score items for dexterity, strength (against harmful strength sapping spells that leave you encumberd and helpless), constitution. Any item that boosts saves in general. Any item that gives you extra Healing amplficiation (to boost incoming self healing from spells or potions,wands, scrolls), dodge item, blurry/ghostly item.

Deathblock and Fortification and Physical and Magical resistance (All are vital): Deathblock/fortification Deathblock/constitution wrists or Belt. You should check vendors at themarketplace and the Auction house for prr/mrr ring and prr/mrr; hardy necklace.

Wisdom+ spot goggles, Astute/Fortification helmet (random drop check AH and vendors pls), Insightful fortification helmet. Exra goggles and items at yout hotbar to swap for boosting your trapping skills (search,spot, disable traps, open locks further). Haggle/Barter item and Alluring charisma item, intimidate, bluff , diplomacy item. To boost your social skills and buy/sell values when you mass buy potions, scrolls,wands or for cheaper repair.

Use magic device, Arcanum, Insightfull Use magic device item. (Better if comes with a hat, gloves or goggles). Use together with charisma item to boost the effect. Lets you use higher level scrolls and wands with less fail chance orno fail chance.

A vorpal greatcrossbow. Later on you can add Ravenloft Barovian's Greatcrossbow. (Comes free with Misst of Ravenloft quest. You need to complete In to the mists quests and then on the road to village of Barovia you need to seak to Tobar the smith to get one for free)

Five Thin quivers (2000 bolts) untill you re able to use a Wand of flame arrow (sold at House Jorasco House of wizardy)

Earliest elemental resist in general Cloak of Troll's resistance from House Jorasco-Red willow's ruins quest (You can replace the Topaz gem slots with other ones for different elemental resists. Sold at Auction house). Dusk Heart trinket for concealment extra hitpoints and bonus gem slot for Diamonds (pls check AH) Sands of Menechtarun. Dusk heart comes from a named boss chest at sands of Menechtarun/Demon sands Undead area. You will head to east from the wilderness entrance (gates out of Zawabi's refuge) untill you see the pyramids, the valley of false tombs. Palumak the scourer is usually around the stone platform at southern side of the undead desert. (You can buy Dusk heart from Auction house)

Set of rings with elemental resists and absorbtion to quickly swap during fights.

A leather armor with Healing amplficiation and if possible also with elemental absorbtion specialty. (You should check the Auction house for this)

Best speed boosting boots you can find. (Speed or striding), Feather fall item ( to swap to, at will), Jump, balance , tumble item (if possible with your jewellery or clothing...such as hardy+balance, prr/mrr+ jump and the similar)

Ps: Sadly you need to check brokers and vendors at the marletplace, House Kundarak and House Deneith often as much as you do the same at AH. Some players buy all weapons and armors players sell at brokers and vendors and turn them to dust for their crafting purposes. So you need to be checking ad hunting for items continiously and save as much of those valubles before crafters mass buy and erase them.

Potions: Earliest Cure light wounds. (300-400 of them) The you will need to buy cure moderate wounds (100-200) starting from level 7-8. After level ten and further you need to keep extra cure serious wounds potions (100-Sold at House Jorasco nearby the Jorasco AH and the portal Feather's fall apothecary).

Wands before Cure moderate wounds are not effective during fights if you re very quick handed. The you can use a wand and when its at cooldown drink a potion which quickens healing process. Anyhow doing this during the fight leaves you open to all attacks without any retiliation (thus enemies arent harmed when you are) Cure serious wound wands are worth the dime (sold at House jorasco House of wizardy shop) to heal cheaper and ast between the fights or when hiding behind obstacles during the fights.

Disease removal (100)and Curse removal (100)potions. Blindness removal (50)potions. Potion of lesser restoration (100-200) Potion of Heroism (100-200)
    [Later on from House of Wizardy at Jorasco you can buy scrolls of Restoration and Greater restoration aswell as Teleport scrolls and other goodies)

Summons are good way to distract enemy npcs. lvl 1 rat and lvl 2 bat are very good. They both make squek sounds whn they see a target and warn you even if you re not aware. When they die enemy npcs keep hitting them for a couple more seconds which makes time for you to reposition yourself. Both are cheap to summon/resummon (sadly scroll cooldown is not short enough to resummon during fights but between the fights)

Bottle of air to swap the Dusk heart trinket (underwater action-Breathing water) it can drop anywhere in the game aswell as sold at AH. Not that common anyhow.

This guy has many tricks under the belt including alchemical traps aoe blasts the enemy npcs.

I hope you enjoy the stay.
    Last edited by Kutalp; 02-09-2020 at 11:28 PM.

welcome back!

here's a take on EllisDee's pale trapper that i think will be right up your alley. it's a very capable solo build that can also contribute to any group via trapping, the undead form gives very strong self-healing and a boatload of immunities that makes gearing a breeze, and it functions primarily with Improved Knight's Transformation so there's not much casting involved. grab a keen rapier or scimitar and go nuts!

trapping of course is gear dependent especially in the early levels, so if you find yourself struggling slot in some of the trap enhancements i've indicated below, but i use this build on an alt account without access to Cannith crafting or farmed out gear (or much of my attention) and i can tell you straight up it's no trouble to gear out otherwise

Code:
    pale trapper
    18/2 Wizard/Rogue
    Human

Level Order

1. Rogue . . . . . 6. Wizard. . . . .11. Wizard. . . . .16. Wizard
    2. Wizard . . . . .7. Wizard . . . . 12. Wizard . . . . 17. Wizard
    3. Wizard . . . . .8. Wizard . . . . 13. Wizard . . . . 18. Wizard
    4. Wizard . . . . .9. Rogue . . . . .14. Wizard. . . . .19. Wizard
    5. Wizard . . . . 10. Wizard . . . . 15. Wizard . . . . 20. Wizard

Stats
    . . . . . . . .28pt . . Level Up
    . . . . . . . .---- . . --------
    Strength. . . . 12. . . .4: INT
    Dexterity . . . 10. . . .8: INT
    Constitution. . 14. . . 12: INT
    Intelligence. . 18. . . 16: INT
    Wisdom. . . . . .8. . . 20: INT
    Charisma. . . . .8. . . 24: INT
    . . . . . . . . . . . . 28: INT

Skills
    . . . . . R .W .W .W .W .W .W .W .R. W. W. W. W. W. W. W. W. W. W. W
    . . . . . 1 .2 .3 .4 .5 .6 .7 .8 .9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    . . . . .------------------------------------------------------------
    Disable . 4 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 23
    Search. . 4 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 23
    Spot. . . 4 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 23
    Concent . 2 .1 . . . .1 . . . .1 . . 1. 1. . .1 .1 . . 1. 1. 1. 1. 2. 15
    Spellcr . 2 . . . .1 . . . .1 . . 1 . . 1. 1. . .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .14
    Open Lo . 4 . . . . . . . . . . . 8 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 12
    Heal. . . 2 . . ½. . . . ½. . .½ .½. ½. . .½ .½ . . ½. ½. ½. ½. ½. . . 8
    . . . . .------------------------------------------------------------
    . . . . .28 .7 .7 .7 .7 .7 .7 .8 14 .8 .8 .8 .8 .8 .8 .9 .9 .9 .9 .9
    Max . . .52 .7 .7 .7 .7 .7 .7 .8 14 .8 .8 .8 .8 .8 .8 .9 .9 .9 .9 .9

Feats

.1. . . . : Insightful Reflexes
    .1 Human. : Augment Summoning
    .2 Wizard : Extend Spell
    .3. . . . : Maximize Spell
    .6. . . . : Quicken Spell
    .6 Wizard : Empower Spell
    .9. . . . : Heighten Spell
    12. . . . : Spell Penetration
    12 Wizard : Spell Focus: Necromancy
    15. . . . : Greater Spell Penetration
    17 Wizard : Mental Toughness
    18. . . . : Greater Spell Focus: Necromancy
    21 Epic . : 
    24 Epic . : 
    26 Destiny: 
    27 Epic . : 
    28 Destiny: 
    29 Destiny: 
    30 Epic . : 
    30 Legend : 

Spells

1. <Any>, <Any>, <Any>, <Any>, <Any>
    2. <Any>, <Any>, <Any>, <Any>, <Any>
    3. <Any>, <Any>, <Any>, <Any>, <Any>
    4. Death Aura (8), Negative Energy Burst (8), <Any>, <Any>, <Any>
    5. <Any>, <Any>, <Any>, <Any>, <Any>
    6. <Any>, <Any>, <Any>, <Any>, <Any>
    7. <Any>, <Any>, <Any>, <Any>
    8. <Any>, <Any>, <Any>, <Any>
    9. <Any>, <Any>, <Any>
    Enhancements (74 of 80 AP) Eldritch Knight (Wizard) (42 AP)
    • Eldritch Strike, Spellsword, Imbue the Blade, Subtle Force, Subtle Force II
      1. Improved Mage Armor III, Arcane Siphon III, Battlemage III
      2. Improved Shield III, Mystic Wards III
      3. Arcane Barrier, Eldritch Accuracy, Intelligence
      4. Knight's Transformation, Orb Saves III, Force's Point
      5. Improved Knight's Transformation, Knight's Striker, Force's Edge, Eldritch Tempest III
    Pale Master (21 AP)
    • Dark Reaping, Shroud of the Wraith, Undead Shock, Ghost in the Wind
      1. Skeletal Knight III, Negative Energy Conduit III
      2. Corpsecrafter III
      3. Negative Energy Adept III, Eternal Furor III, Intelligence
    Mechanic (7 AP)
    • Arbalester
      1. Mechanics III, Awareness III
    Human (4 AP)
    • Skills Boost
      1. Skill Focus: Awareness III
    Leveling Guide
    1. (Bank 4 AP)
    2. EKw0 Eldritch Strike; EKw1 Arcane Siphon I, II, III; EKw1 Improved Mage Armor I, II, III; PM0 Dark Reaping
    3. EKw2 Improved Shield I, II, III; (Bank 1 AP)
    4. EKw0 Spellsword; EKw3 Eldritch Accuracy; PM1 Negative Energy Conduit I, II
    5. PM1 Negative Energy Conduit III; PM1 Skeletal Knight I; PM0 Shroud of the Wraith; PM1 Skeletal Knight II
    6. PM1 Skeletal Knight III; PM2 Corpsecrafter I, II; (Bank 1 AP)
    7. PM0 Undead Shock; PM3 Negative Energy Adept I, II, III; EKw0 Imbue the Blade
    8. EKw1 Battlemage I, II, III; EKw2 Mystic Wards I
    9. EKw2 Mystic Wards II, III; EKw4 Orb Saves I, II
    10. EKw4 Orb Saves III; EKw3 Intelligence
    11. EKw4 Force's Point; EKw4 Knight's Transformation
    12. EKw3 Arcane Barrier; EKw5 Eldritch Tempest I, II, III
    13. EKw5 Improved Knight's Transformation; EKw5 Force's Edge
    14. EKw0 Subtle Force; PM2 Corpsecrafter III; PM3 Eternal Furor I, II
    15. PM3 Eternal Furor III; PM3 Intelligence; PM0 Ghost in the Wind
    16. EKw5 Knight's Striker