Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Default Cannith crafted shield for caster for Epic leveling

I have a handful of Mithril shields and I'm going to make one of them into a Cannith Crafted shield for leveling from 20-28 before I pick up my Sharn/Ravenloft gear at 29.

Sheltering and Parrying are taking two of the slots, so I can put an Elemental Absorption on the first slot. Any opinions on what element I should choose for the elemental absorption? I'm thinking that Fire or Electric are the most likely candidates, but didn't know if there was a strong reason to pick something specific.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

From Wisconsin, Live in Iowa, Vist Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    I have a handful of Mithril shields and I'm going to make one of them into a Cannith Crafted shield for leveling from 20-28 before I pick up my Sharn/Ravenloft gear at 29.

Sheltering and Parrying are taking two of the slots, so I can put an Elemental Absorption on the first slot. Any opinions on what element I should choose for the elemental absorption? I'm thinking that Fire or Electric are the most likely candidates, but didn't know if there was a strong reason to pick something specific.
    Burning Blood --> acid and fire... one of those...
    Spell resistance is worth a look
    Sarlona - Guildmaster - Brotherhood of Redemption - ddoborguild.com - 2016 & 2017 Players Council --- Alts: Acetylene, Antimematter, CNG, Dilithium Crystal, EMF, EMPulse, Exothermic, Geothermal, Hexane, Hexyne, Hydropower, JA, Kerosene, LPG, Natural Gas, Nuclearpower, Propane, Solarpannel, Tidalpower, WASOB, Waulter, Windpower, Woodpile

Community Member

If I had to pick an elemental resist I would go electricity, but that is generally covered by ship buffs. Personally, I would go with spell resistance or fort (if you don't have that slotted anywhere).

Also, as a caster you will have to think about ASF. Mithril helps, but as I recall isn't 100% - could be wrong though. At level 25 the Skyvault Shield has no ASF on it and is very useful.
    ~ Alco Holic ~ Grlfriendaggro Pizzenmeoff ~ Rincewind the Damp ~ Sunbernt Junk ~ Ouchmy Leghurtz ~
    ~ Bobthesponge Squarethepants ~ Whaleoil Beef Hooked~
    ~Ascent~

Community Member

I use mithral large shields in heroics. In epics, you can safely grab a regular named shield. My default go-to shield is Heroic Elite (ML17) or Epic Normal (ML22) Wall of Wood for Devotion and stacking Heal Amp.

Before Sharn, I also occasionally used heroic Breaker of Bodies (ML8 from slavers) at 20 to keep my 5piece caster set; this is no longer necessary because Sharn caster set is good enough.
    Last edited by cru121; 02-06-2020 at 02:13 PM.