Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Why do players stay at cap? (level 30)

What do players do at level 30? Do they farm gear for level 30? And if so, what for? To keep accumulating reaper points? Or to farm for other gear for leveling from 20-30?

Back in the shroud days, players would stay at cap to keep farming for greensteel for their alts or get their 20th completion for a second or third greensteel item to remove the stain of shavarath, or to get TOD trophies, or to keep farming for a TORC, or keep doing raids to get gear they could use for TR.

So, why do people stay at cap now? I want to know so I can think about if I should stay at cap. What exactly is endgame now?

Please enlighten me and sorry if i am a noob. I just am totally clueless.

I wouldn't know, but my guess is that most players staying at cap already have the desired number of past lives on their characters. Either that, or they're parking a toon at cap to help guildies, participate in raids and the like.

As for what there is to do - well, to optimize gear layouts, especially with items from the latest raids. Also you can farm named items to feed to your sentient weapon / artifact. And well, RXP may be part of the equation, but maybe one of such players will chime in.
    "People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. ... People's heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true." Terry Goodkind

One might as well ask "why do players not stay at cap?".

Hopefully, the answer to both questions is - "because they are having fun".

Raids are a good deal of the reason. Reaper XP from 30+ quests as well. Farming sentient xp can be.

Maybe you (OP) could explain why you dont stay at cap? Assuming you dont from the question
    Danskerne
    A Danish Guild on Ghallanda. Send PM if interested.
    Leading Raids Thursdays from 20 CET and Sundays from 21 CET.

To add clarification I will state I am one of the players that actually has multiple characters that I'm working on at any given time as I'm also member of two static groups that meet once a week. Each has its own goals and purposes. I'm not a "must catch them all" type.

My Reasons for keeping characters at 30

1. I lead weekly Raids on Saturday nights
    We don't run raids for XP but for learning and fun. Having 3 level 30 characters gives me flexibility to provide a build that can cover any needed role that would help make sure the raid is successful

2. To run high level content for fun.
    If I run through the low level content constantly I tend to get board, so being able to switch over and run some high level content to break it up keeps things fresh.

3. Farm gear/ingredients
    Being able to come up with a new concept for a build and then provide it with gear or build that gear to help give it the feel I was looking for in the build.

4. 5000 Favor
    Because I do have multiple characters it is not practical to pay cash to "tome out" every character, so getting to 5K favor helps

----
    I'm just one that enjoys having characters at multiple level ranges, be able to switch to help a guild member or friend when they are looking to run something or even farm a couple runs. So maybe the best way to describe it in a single word is Flexibility.

Not there yet, but my plan has always been to hit cap and stay there. If I want to do low level stuff again that's what I have alts for.

Never really bought into the TR wheel. I'm not a power gamer, I'm just here to have fun.
    Aias Iceforge. Barbarian Ice Dwarf - Khyber

Quote Originally Posted by darkniteyogi View Post
    What do players do at level 30? Do they farm gear for level 30? And if so, what for? To keep accumulating reaper points? Or to farm for other gear for leveling from 20-30?

Back in the shroud days, players would stay at cap to keep farming for greensteel for their alts or get their 20th completion for a second or third greensteel item to remove the stain of shavarath, or to get TOD trophies, or to keep farming for a TORC, or keep doing raids to get gear they could use for TR.

So, why do people stay at cap now? I want to know so I can think about if I should stay at cap. What exactly is endgame now?

Please enlighten me and sorry if i am a noob. I just am totally clueless.
    Same reason as raiding Shrouds when that was endgame. Only now replaced by high value named bta items to hunt for your twinks. That is what I do. Hunt the items and TR once I got them. Favor cleanup is another thing, although I really hate running quests, for which it takes longer to put up an LFm than actual time to finish it.
    Characters on Orien:
    Wanzer/ Klingtanz/ Incanta Superior/ Mercantus

Default Its fun

For me,
    I like to play challenging content with good rewards. High skulls reaper fits that bill with good rxp payouts and a decent challenge, high skulls at lower levels is indeed more challenging but it also doesn't feel like the reward is matched with the challenge.

I like playing raids with my very active and competent guild members.
    I have been enjoying fitting out my end-game focused sorcerer with the optimal gear layout and build structure and farming for the little bits and pieces that make that stronger. (sometimes this requires a TR but mostly for a re-spec and only a few days of leveling to get back to cap)

In short, the end-game is well designed to be enjoyable, and there are more people to enjoy it with.
    My Youtube channel~ViamelDDO~ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOh...NJ_c5Yk8x866bA

Korthos Village People ~ Cannith

Community Member

Default It's convenient

I can log into DDO after a long shift and always get a party for high reaper content or some raid. Cannith has a vibrant community of capped players.

It's also much better balanced for casual play. My first life favored soul can play with the big boys and shine with basic Sharn gear. Playing a first life character with the completionists at low levels feels bad

I have 21 characters...but play 2 almost exclusively. I keep one of them at 30 all the time to run raids...while the other is running a reincarnation.
    Leader of Legion of Eberron on Cannith.

Characters: Loromir & Baldomir....among others.

Social attention.

A number of reasons really.
    - So I can farm for gear for lowbies
    - Occasional raids
    - So I can feel super powered & awesome smacking around all those enemies that gave me so much grief at lower levels
    - So my niece can run around and beat up baddies without having to worry about getting beaten up herself
    - Because I have a number of alts & I'm just busy concentrating on something different at the time
    I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was, now what's it is weird and scary to me.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyDuck81 View Post
    A number of reasons really.
    - So I can farm for gear for lowbies
    - Occasional raids
    - So I can feel super powered & awesome smacking around all those enemies that gave me so much grief at lower levels
    - So my niece can run around and beat up baddies without having to worry about getting beaten up herself
    - Because I have a number of alts & I'm just busy concentrating on something different at the time

Because it's fun. I tend to stay at cap for a couple weeks every 3-4 pastlives I do and farm a little gear, farm a reaper point or two, get some sentient xp, run a few raids, hang out with the at-cap crowd a bit and enjoy a "completed" build for a while, with all it's bells and whistles.
    Selvera: Scourge Paladin 15/Ranger 5; Good pastlives promised from this Tempadin build.
    Jen: Half Elf Fvs 20/Epic 10; Healer Archer with a more supportive build then usual
    Mayve: Tiefling Sorc 16; Just a pastlife for an alt

I stay at cap mostly because I like raiding and I hate leveling/being on the TR hamster wheel.
    "A wise person chooses the right road; a fool takes the wrong one." - Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    Hi Welcome

It's easier to find groups, and find goofy situations to get yourself into.

#MergetheServersNaowwww
    Without new players DDO will go the way of the dodo.
    r10 @ 30 stuff, Sorc Build Guide, Ghallanda

I stay at cap because the quests are fun, and my characters are at their most powerful.

I don't have "perfect" gear for level 14 or level 23 or even level 28.

But 29 and 30... I spent a lot of time working out a very good gear-set for my guys.

The power jump between 25-28 and 29-30 is immense.

So I like playing my powerful characters at cap.

As far as what I'm working on?

Gear, Reaper XP, sentient XP, and raid tokens (just like the old Shroud runs you mention).

There's actually a ton of stuff to work on at cap these days. Cap is in the best place it's been since level 20 was the cap, and we had shard/seal/scroll gear to work on, and raid gear.

Now we still have a gear grind, AND the reaper and sentient xp at cap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago. Note - This was posted in 10/2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by TedSandyman View Post
    Some people brag about how fast they finished the game. I cant think of a stupider thing to brag about. Or in this game, going from level 1 to level 30 in two days, or however long it takes. I can't even begin to imagine what drives a person to think that is fun. You are ignoring all of the content and options and going for sheer speed. It is like going to a museum and bragging about how fast you made it through. Or bragging about how fast you finished a good steak.

Hero
    Reaperbait

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post

There's actually a ton of stuff to work on at cap these days. Cap is in the best place it's been since level 20 was the cap, and we had shard/seal/scroll gear to work on, and raid gear.

Now we still have a gear grind, AND the reaper and sentient xp at cap.
    This
    The Fockers of Argo
    LOOON (Rogue); Reaperbait (Warlock); Eatuhdiq (Sorc); Fuglymofo (Barbarian)

2014 DDO Players Council

Cap is in the best place it's been since level 20 was the cap
    Yeah, it's true, but I think they noticed it, so they're going to raise the level cap, and make all the current cap stuff become as meaningful as the level-cap-20 stuff became.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    As a general rule we don't intend for a single spawn area to cause any dungeon alert, and certainly not red dungeon alert. This basically isn't ever a goal in our designs

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Fully agreed. It’s one of the reasons I’m so unhappy about the level cap increase coming (and the Legendary Past Lives that we’re going to see). We have a good thing going right now. No need to decimate the end game again.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

Community Member

It's fun to be top level, to have a full build in action, and to use all the cool items I've picked up. I only TR when a I get the bug to run a different class. Which is probably why I have about 14 lives between three toons. Honestly, I wish the game were more cap-level oriented, with gains similar to other MMOs. I'm not a huge fan of the TR treadmill.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast