Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default TRing- reaper? Forget that!

I now have 3 past lives. These TR guides telling me to run quests on reaper are ridiculous. I'm lucky if I can run a quest on hard at level. Forget reaper or even elite. I don't know how you do it, or what I am doing wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by ElrondElfKing View Post
    I now have 3 past lives. These TR guides telling me to run quests on reaper are ridiculous. I'm lucky if I can run a quest on hard at level. Forget reaper or even elite. I don't know how you do it, or what I am doing wrong.
    Honestly, most of this stuff is easier when you are grouping in a full party. You might be missing some gear or be playing a build that does not help survivability (I'm looking at you melee), but if it is too hard for you, don't feel pressured to run a higher difficulty then you are able. Play at the level you can and have fun.
    Orien: ~Erofen (30 Assassin Rogue) ~Erofenlock (30 EB Warlock) ~Erofenmonk (30 Light Monk) ~Erofentrap (30 Roguerficer (1st TR/Legend Build ever)) ~Erofenbarb (30 Barb) ~Erofenbless (30 FvS Chest Blesser) ~Erofenthree (30 Bard Dualbox) ~Erofenten (30 Barb Triplebox)
    Quote Originally Posted by MadFloyd View Post
    Um, I'm almost afraid to ask, but exactly just what is 'sneak humping'? Kex! Stop It! O.o

Don't listen to them. You should play whatever difficulty provides you with the best experience. And despite what the top 5% say, you're not doing anything wrong.
    Population report: December 2019, January 2020

Community Member

If you want to run reaper when TRing then you could try running it quest level+4, so run a lvl 4 quest when you are level 8 or if you have Ravenloft wait until you are level 10 before running reaper on lvl 6 quests. You will find it a lot easier, it should be noted that reapers in lvl 10+ quests can hit really hard. You still get lots of xp and the reaper xp mounts up quite nicely.

Also, and this is very important if you want to solo - melee can be stupidly difficult. I have been runnng a PM/EK build and found running reaper solo up to lvl 10 quest doable - I wouldn't even think about it on my wolf drood.

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Part of it is gear and part of it is quest knowledge.

I know where to stand when fighting a boss and when to expect a big pack of enemies as I'm running through a quest. Running on Reaper gives me more bonus Heroic XP and it also gives me a little Reaper XP. That's a nice perk. It's obviously not a meaningful perk if I'm taking 2-3 times as long to complete the quest.

Having tomes and past lives that make me more sturdy and having enough Reaper XP to give me bonus HP to survive those champions makes a huge difference.

One last note - running a character build that is significantly more powerful and less fragile than most Melee classes bashing their way through a quest with melee weapons makes a huge difference too. If the whole room is dead before they get more than a couple of attacks in AND I have some decent defenses (Displacement, bonus AC from Epic past lives, etc), then I'm going to be able to knock out quests at a much higher difficulty level than if I'm just running with 3 Heroic past lives and trying to fight enemies one at a time in melee.

Sorcerer Elemental nukers and Wizard Pale Master are both fantastic for taking on quests that are harder than you could try with a standard melee build.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

Some good suggestions in here. That said, if you cant complete on the higher difficulty you make no progress, so play on the difficulty you can complete on and you enjoy. As you progress through past lives/gear, and acquire knowledge, you will be able to up the difficulty.
    Sarlona's FORMER #1 Piker!!
    QuiknDirty~Quikster~Quikkilla Missquik~
    Member of Roving Guns

Quote Originally Posted by Clemeit View Post
    Don't listen to them. You should play whatever difficulty provides you with the best experience. And despite what the top 5% say, you're not doing anything wrong.
    This^.
    Blood Scented Axe Body Spray (Thelanis)
    Aelonwy - Wydavir - Metaluscious - Aertimys - Aelyrra - Kaelaria - Lunaura - Aelurawynn - Saurscha - Crystalorn - Aurvaeyn - Vaelyns - Wyllowynd

I agree with those that point out "play what gives you fun/challenge you are looking for"

Your playstyle works for you, enjoy it.

Additionally, the advice you are looking at comes from those that are looking for maximizing XP/Minute. Likely have game knowledge that allows them to pick quests that they are not only best prepared to run but works towards that maximizing XP earning. They also have likely maximized their gear to improve their effectiveness and possibly are supported by years (if not over a decade of playing)

Thanks for the advice and support. It just makes me crazy when someone says they can zerg though a life in a couple of days. I've been on this life for a month, playing hard every day (after work and on weekends), and I'm at level 13.

I'm trying to get completionist, so I'm going through the melee characters first. It seems strange that they would build such a disproportionate difference in ability between the melee and caster builds. I'm using a cleric now, and I recently used the blade barrier a few times on mobs. What a waste of time. It doesn't even scratch them. I was insanely disappointed. What are the devs thinking? If they want me to spend my money on their game, at least give me something to work with. If they are not going to give me a blade barrier that does any damage to stupid mobs, then don't tease me with a **** blade barrier.

I don't know if completionist is even worth my time, or if I should just pick a class and stick with it. The only advantage I see is that it gives me a chance to try out every class.

I've left this game a couple of times now, and this is why, every time. I'm really trying to dedicate myself this time, but I get so frustrated at the ineptness of my toons. I mean, I'm not an imbecile, after a few lives I must have at least some knowledge of how to play the game. But every time, as I get near 10-15, my character craps out on me time after time, and I spend 3 or 4 deaths per game just trying to get through the quest. Please, God, just let me get through this quest without dying again.

Devs, are you listening?

Community Member

I'd worry more about Elite as a benchmark for leveling. Reaper is a nice "if you can manage anyway" extra, but going Hard to Elite gives a much bigger boost - base xp, double bravery, FTB, double named item chance, and favor - while going Elite to R1 is just adding 45% ftb xp and a scrap of RXP, but it's significantly tougher with Reapers and self heal penalty.

I run R1 leveling up just because I'm inqui right now and I can do it reliably anyway, so might as well. But soon as it starts getting sketchy I jump right back to Elite and don't look back.

Default You can play DDO without a single TR with alts,permadeath and even pvp matches

Your own way is the best way for reaching the goals. Whatever it is, it does not matter as long as it is your own way.

For actual reaper runs , you need hardcore team.

Meanwhile, you do not even need to TR that is another point. You can play and delete character from 1 to 30 nd rinse repeat , casually, just for fun. Solo or team. The amount of soloable content at DDO is huge. Meanwhile you can allways keep one or two main characters at the most crowded servers to hit the raids whenever you wish to.

DDO is not dps, xp and light speed TR. The game, the quests, the virtual world is alot deeper than that. (We still dont have DDO sim or open world instances for now. But who knows) All you need is mobile ranged character, all adventure packs and expended account based upgrades. You can both buy (especially the adventures and expansions for the adventures) and favor farm these slowly in time.

Again best classes to play right now is Ranged and only a couple of caster builds. Becasue of distance/defense/aoe burst damage since we can not have big enough hitpoints and endurance for frontline melee warriors yet... (Sad but true and I wish this was not true) Classes and races and adding bonuses ...Meh...

We are human beings. Not aliens or fraking robots. Just have fun with the game friend. Dont let yourself burn out. Please enjoy the stay.

Just my humble dirty pieces of eight.
    Last edited by Kutalp; 01-26-2020 at 02:35 PM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-vgrCICAf0
    Basements & Rogue Dinosaurs

+1 rep!

Stoner81.

Community Member

Smile

If you are planning heroic completionist (I will never get it as it doesn't fit into my character concepts) have a look at the past life feats. One of the best heroic past life feats is for a paladin (healing amp) and so if you are thinking of a general type character or melee you should think about taking this early on. I run three characters and it takes me a long time to level them,.

I have a melee wolf drood, she has just completed three PDK past lives for the PRR and got fighter PL for the tactical DC bonuses. Next I will either run another SDK life for the dodge bonuses or run some racial PLs for strength and con bonuses (HOrc ?). My mage has completed her wizard past lives and gained loots of spell DC and next life will either go wiz/fvs (for extra spell DC) or wiz/drood to help her skellie pet. My ranged rogue has completed her ranger and pally lives.

My drood has epic completionist and a number of heroic past life, full +8 tomes and I rarely run any quest 15+ on elite until I get to lvl 20 or above, I would run a Sharn lvl 15 on hard when I was 17+. I rarely ever run any epic quest on elite other than the new Borderland ones as they are pretty short. If I want to run epic elite or reaper I always go with guildies - often by the time I get into a room it is cleared.

Are you a member of a friendly guild?

DDO isn't a competitive sport, run what levels you enjoy and is slightly challenging and remember you still get xp if you run a lvl 12 (elite) quest when you are level 20.
    Last edited by thedip; 01-26-2020 at 01:54 PM.

Best piece of advice I read on this forum in quite a while.

You aren't doing anything wrong. It's a game, and it's intended to be entertaining, so let it be, and just do what you find fun. I don't pay attention to the "guides" for just that reason. It's great, if you're up to playing that playstyle, but if you're not, ignoring them completely is fine.

and I recently used the blade barrier a few times on mobs. What a waste of time. It doesn't even scratch them. I was insanely disappointed. What are the devs thinking? If they want me to spend my money on their game, at least give me something to work with. If they are not going to give me a blade barrier that does any damage to stupid mobs, then don't tease me with a **** blade barrier.
    Do you have an impulse item ?
    "Unexplained noises are best left unexplained."
    -John Bellairs-

Range is the meta for solo, can make any class ranged. Unless you are sorc or warlock and don’t need it.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralDiomedes View Post
    Range is the meta for solo, can make any class ranged. Unless you are sorc or warlock and don’t need it.
    However, I have seen a 20 warlock using inquisitor...

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralDiomedes View Post
    Interesting. Except that I solo on my assassin, and my melee, TWF focused FvS. I guess if all you do is copy/paste builds off the forums, then yeah? Otherwise, there are a lot of viable classes being ignored because "FotM".

Quote Originally Posted by Enoach View Post
    However, I have seen a 20 warlock using inquisitor...
    I think I've seen every class except barbarian, monk, or sorcerer be an inquisitive (yes, I've seen inquisitive druids and clerics). And people wonder why nerfs are incoming...

I usually do R1-2 while TRing, mostly because I've TR'd so many times I know the game backward and forward, and lower reaper is fast, easy, and gives a bit more xp and rewards. That doesn't mean everyone should run reaper, and doing so is best done in a well-constructed group.

I hope this doesn't sound harsh, but if you're dying 3-4 times in a hard or elite quest, you have no real business being in reaper, to begin with. Play the difficulty that's right for you. Guides are for guidelines, not rules.
    Primary Home: Argonnessen
    Also known as: Archarias, Ishtaris, Arthies, Artharias, Astanius, and Fidgity.
    "Elder brains are a lot like bouncy castles. They just sit there, but if you jump up and down on them, things get interesting real quick." ~FlimsyFirewood

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast