Default Shifter Iconic Class

The upcoming Feywild expansion will most likely include an Iconic class for the Shifter race. I looked around for information on Shifters and the DDO Wiki has a summary of this race's stats in pencil and paper D&D.

https://ddowiki.com/page/Shifter

The stat bonuses listed are:

+2 Dexterity
    -2 Charisma
    -2 Intelligence

I'm not sure what the Shifter's favored class might be, other than possibly Ranger. We already have the Aasimar Scourge Iconic for the Ranger class, so I can't think of what might be left for the Shifter race Iconic. The only two core classes without an Iconic in DDO are the Barbarian and the Sorcerer.

Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Human_Cypher View Post
    The upcoming Feywild expansion will most likely include an Iconic class for the Shifter race. I looked around for information on Shifters and the DDO Wiki has a summary of this race's stats in pencil and paper D&D.

https://ddowiki.com/page/Shifter

The stat bonuses listed are:

+2 Dexterity
    -2 Charisma
    -2 Intelligence

I'm not sure what the Shifter's favored class might be, other than possibly Ranger. We already have the Aasimar Scourge Iconic for the Ranger class, so I can't think of what might be left for the Shifter race Iconic. The only two core classes without an Iconic in DDO are the Barbarian and the Sorcerer.

Any ideas?
    I think I read on rthe ddo wiki that the spell casting Shifters were almost always Druids. Not sure SSG would go there, but it was the only bit I found that might indicate a direction.
    Khyber -- Grubbby, Grubonon, Gralak, and all the gang of *grubs* in the Homeboys of Stormreach.

Community Member

Druid?

Rats, beat me to it.

I thought about Druid as well, but the bonus stats don't seem to support that class. Would a Shifter with a +2 Wisdom bonus be lore-appropriate? Wizards of the Coast might not allow a Shifter Druid Iconic if the class diverges too much from the D&D canon.

Default A rough guess

It may seem to support TWF Barbarian and Fighter build/variations the most. (Rogue and Ranger allready has alot of synergy)

Since Alchemist is new various enhancements might leave open doors to Shifter Alchemists (same with Inquisitve T5 and Artificer burst)

If Iconic the three enhancement trees most probably will be Roguish, Warriorish and somehow Casterish which would be similar concept with the Druid trees.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-vgrCICAf0
    Basements & Rogue Dinosaurs

Keith Baker, creator of the Eberron campaign setting, interviewed for D&D Beyond's YouTube channel about the Shifter race. I copied the clip at the point where Mr. Baker mentions that the Barbarian class is among the favored classes for Shifters, along with Druids and Rangers.

The Shifter Iconic class could be a Beasthide Barbarian, which would then leave the Sorcerer as the only core class without an Iconic.

The rage ability of the Barbarian class also fits Shifters. I hope that the Shifter Iconic is either a Longtooth, Razorclaw, or Beasthide shifter. That would leave a Changeling Sorcerer (perhaps as part of a Planescape expansion) as the final core class Iconic. SSG may never add Iconics for any of the Premium classes such as Druid.

Has anyone played a Shifter Barbarian in pencil and paper D&D? If so, what are the bonus stats?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Human_Cypher View Post
    Has anyone played a Shifter Barbarian in pencil and paper D&D? If so, what are the bonus stats?

Constitution, Hitpoints and Endurance.

Barbarian, Ranger, Druid, Summoner, Wilder.

I believe DDO version may be Weretouched shifter (Lycanthrope)

(Infamous Feywild and Shifter tale)
    Last edited by Kutalp; 01-25-2020 at 11:54 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kutalp View Post
    (really really nasty romance novel)
    uhh man...do you know what all those words on that cover mean...?

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    I do, I'm gay!

If they do a druid shifter, I could see it making sense to do maybe +2 str/dex and -2 int/cha (iconics aren't always the same stats as the base race) and develop the racial tree to suit bear/wolf forms. Of the base classes, we're missing a barbarian and sorcerer iconic: I can kind of see a barbarian shifter, but sorcerer is about as far away from shifter as you can get.
    Primary Home: Argonnessen
    Also known as: Archarias, Ishtaris, Arthies, Artharias, Astanius, and Fidgity.
    "Elder brains are a lot like bouncy castles. They just sit there, but if you jump up and down on them, things get interesting real quick." ~FlimsyFirewood

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post

The information about Shifter class is true.

The pictures are , as noted , to make fellow posters laugh...as usual. Nothing offensive sigh...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfR9iY5y94s
    Last edited by Kutalp; 01-26-2020 at 12:33 AM.

Default Could even be something different

Quote Originally Posted by HastyPudding View Post
    I do, I'm gay!

If they do a druid shifter, I could see it making sense to do maybe +2 str/dex and -2 int/cha (iconics aren't always the same stats as the base race) and develop the racial tree to suit bear/wolf forms. Of the base classes, we're missing a barbarian and sorcerer iconic: I can kind of see a barbarian shifter, but sorcerer is about as far away from shifter as you can get.

Yeah or each enhancement tree would give difference bonus and penalty to certain stats ? That would be something new. Meanwhile +2 cons and +%20 HP would be fix for class.

Just random ideas (shrugs)
    Last edited by Kutalp; 01-26-2020 at 12:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HastyPudding View Post
    I'm hoping that the Eberron Changeling race will be used for an eventual Iconic sorcerer class.