Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bad Horsey

Quote Originally Posted by Ashlayna View Post
    Yep, it was such a non-issue that they fixed it.
    In an equally irritating fashion. Now we have to keep a spreadsheet of all the outdoor places we cant ride past without being dismounted. I was fine with the idea of not going inside a building with it, but the "fix" made it so some buildings are still able to be ridden in while some outdoor areas dismount you.

"fixed" - slapped a band-aid on it because some players didnt like how some other players were using their bought and paid for items.

This issue is a microcosm displaying how far the "ruins my fun" feedback culture has impacted the game. Its all the way down to "horses are in my way."
    Last edited by Chai; 01-23-2020 at 05:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago. Note - This was posted in 10/2013 (when concurrency was ~4x what it is today)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZTBt7oar9w

Quote Originally Posted by rabidfox View Post
    Hopefully you've got them rebound somewhere. I so don't know how I could live with out them; I use'em to grab loot off the ground, to disarm traps/control panels, etc. Point and clicking drives me a bit insane.
    G is select item..... use it a lot in VON3 to find the runes.
    F is use item.
    kruemeli of Orien - Leader of the "Merry" Hobbits https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...20#post5002220
    It is okay to be "merry": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjOOKb-DFZs
    I just Keep quiet and think.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYP8M06A8W0

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    In an equally irritating fashion. Now we have to keep a spreadsheet of all the outdoor places we cant ride past without being dismounted. I was fine with the idea of not going inside a building with it, but the "fix" made it so some buildings are still able to be ridden in while some outdoor areas dismount you.

"fixed" - slapped a band-aid on it because some players didnt like how some other players were using their bought and paid for items.

This issue is a microcosm displaying how far the "ruins my fun" feedback culture has impacted the game. Its all the way down to "horses are in my way."
    Only because they actually are in my way. In an equally irritating fashion.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    In an equally irritating fashion. Now we have to keep a spreadsheet of all the outdoor places we cant ride past without being dismounted.
    Or we could just go back to no horses. Presto! Your spreadsheet problem is solved.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Clemeit View Post
    OK I'm sorry but this is just as much a non-issue as the "horses in taverns" thing was.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuulified
    You have never seen this because -
    I love how you guys are telling the OP whether he saw something and whether it was an issue for him.

LOL. I would like to see a Venn diagram of

1) people who got horses banned in taverns because they were too self-absorbed to dismount as a courtesy to others, and

2) people who gaslight and bully other players on the forums for speaking up about it.

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fenrisulven7 View Post
    I love how you guys are telling the OP whether he saw something and whether it was an issue for him.

LOL. I would like to see a Venn diagram of

1) people who got horses banned in taverns because they were too self-absorbed to dismount as a courtesy to others, and

2) people who gaslight and bully other players on the forums for speaking up about it.

Telling people they shouldn’t be upset about horses standing in the way of an NPC would be like telling someone they shouldn’t be mad that a nice QOL item like the Sharn passport was changed.

And I know that no decent person would ever do something as awful as that...
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    Telling people they shouldn’t be upset about horses standing in the way of an NPC would be like telling someone they shouldn’t be mad that a nice QOL item like the Sharn passport was changed.

And I know that no decent person would ever do something as awful as that...
    Oh, is it my turned to be bullied now? Yay!

And I love how you guys distort what everyone says. I never said you "shouldn't be mad that a nice QOL like the Sharn passport was changed"

I said that it was changed because "hardcore" players were exploiting it as an Evade Death clicky in the middle of quests.

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Oh, is it my turned to be bullied now? Yay!

And I love how you guys distort what everyone says. I never said you "shouldn't be mad that a nice QOL like the Sharn passport was changed"

I said that it was changed because "hardcore" players were exploiting it as an Evade Death clicky in the middle of quests.
    If you think *that* was bullying, how did you ever make it past 7th grade?

It's easy to target the NPC. It sucks to take away functionality of horses for the people who enjoy them.

Next we're going to see people complaining that horses shouldn't be allowed near wilderness entrances because the person can't target the entrance as easily and then people are going to complain that horses shouldn't be allowed in the wilderness itself, either - because someone didn't dismount in front of a walk-up quest and the player had to wait briefly until they could click on the quest entrance.

OH THE HORROR! I HAD TO USE A KEYBOARD KEYMAP AVAILABLE IN THE GAME TO TARGET SOMETHING BECAUSE THERE WAS ANOTHER PLAYER WHO WAS STANDING THERE! OH THE HUMANITY!!!1!!!eleven!!

I run into the EXACT same problem when I go to the bank except that it isn't even horses - it's just ordinary PCs standing around the banker because they're interacting with the bank so that you can't click the banker directly with your mouse and have to target the banker with your keyboard and then interact with the banker that way. That's not because those other players are "griefing" or "harassing" or anything absurd like that. It's because they're playing the game.

And people who say that horses aren't causing real problems in the game aren't saying that you aren't allowed to feel like it's a problem for you. They're saying that horses aren't causing a significant enough problem to take away the horse's functionality even further than it already has been because of whining from people who can't be bothered to use their keyboard.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

Community Member

If you think *that* was bullying, how did you ever make it past 7th grade?
    LOL. You guys are like the Mean Girls of the DDO forums.

I think it's kinda cute.

Community Member

Horses were already made useless because people were complaining about them being used in taverns, sure let's just ruin them even more!

Quote Originally Posted by Ashlayna View Post
    Yep, it was such a non-issue that they fixed it.
    It was a non-issue, and don't pretend that they're mutually exclusive. It got "fixed" (really the proper word is "broken") because like three forumites complained about it and the devs (Lynnabel specifically if memory serves) thought "Oh yeah that's a great idea that won't have any repercussions" and then, without putting a shred of intelligent thought into it pushed the change through to live (I'm being facetious here, but only slightly). Now we're all stuck with annoying dismounts as we ride through outdoor taverns or onto the airships. The smart choice would have been to wait for the hype surrounding horses to die down - and with it, the minor annoyances those players cited - instead of blindly pushing out this change to placate a handful of people.

I stand by it. Horses in taverns wasn't an issue and neither is this. What's next? Perhaps "There are too many players surrounding [random NPC here] so I think that players should be invisible when interacting with them!!!"

Edit: Bummer, someone beat me to my amazing suggestion! I think I'll peel off a go start a thread. Let's push this through!
    I run into the EXACT same problem when I go to the bank except that it isn't even horses - it's just ordinary PCs standing around the banker because they're interacting with the bank so that you can't click the banker directly with your mouse and have to target the banker with your keyboard and then interact with the banker that way. That's not because those other players are "griefing" or "harassing" or anything absurd like that. It's because they're playing the game.
    Last edited by Clemeit; 01-24-2020 at 01:17 AM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Clemeit View Post
    It was a non-issue... because like three forumites complained about it... Now we're all stuck with annoying dismounts
    I don't find dismounts annoying at all. It's a non-issue. There are like three forumites complaining about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Clemeit
    Sorry, but get over it.
    Exactly, get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Haff_Ling View Post
    I have seen it and I have had it happen to me on several occasions.
    I am not "folks" and I have never made a single complaint about lack of population.
    I have a horse. I use it to travel and I like having it. It is a great thing for the slayer areas.
    They would be in no way inconvenient to use if you had to dismount to interact with a vendor because you are not traveling while you are interacting with them.
    I usually just call my horse up and get in the other person's way as an act of civil disobedience.
    I have a horse and since they borked it with taverns I have used it so little it is not worth mentioning.
    Every time you have to resummon it it wastes time you could just walk there. Either let them be everywhere or remove them and refund, I am over it. My ship should have my rules and if I want horses on them then thats how it should be. If I want to bring a horse into a tavern then have a tick box that says I will pay 100 plat extra for my horse and let me stay mounted. I am sure the tavern keeper and vendors would go the extra mile for me and my horse.
    Milacias of Kyber

Leader of the Crimson Eagles Kyber

The Myth- TR will make my character powerful
    The Reality- Those kobolds in Water Works won’t have a chance but nothing else cares-Learn to play your build and all its abilities in actual difficult content, get gear and reaper points in level 30+ content and raids.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by noinfo View Post
    My ship should have my rules and if I want horses on them then thats how it should be.
    The problem is that global coding changes affected Tavern Regeneration, which you have on the deck of your ship. And the rules on your ship still have to follow the rules of the code. Else, no ship.

Now, maybe the devs could remove Tavern Regen from your ship (which I don't think you would like)

OR, hopefully that was just a quick fix and the devs will come out with a more selective code for dismounts that won't affect your shiip.

Every time you have to resummon it it wastes time you could just walk there
    It literally takes less than 3 seconds. Would reducing that to 1 second solve the problem for you?

If I want to bring a horse into a tavern then have a tick box that says I will pay 100 plat extra for my horse and let me stay mounted. I am sure the tavern keeper and vendors would go the extra mile for me and my horse.
    I would pay that to keep everyone out of the tavern but me, but there are other people out there that would like to play this game too. Like you.
    Last edited by Fenrisulven7; 01-24-2020 at 02:31 AM.

Community Member

It's easy to target the NPC.... I HAD TO USE A KEYBOARD KEYMAP.... target the banker with your keyboard... whining from people who can't be bothered to use their keyboard.
    Why do you keep assuming everyone uses a keyboard?

I use a Saitek X52 and mouse, mainly because I come from Mechwarrior and WW2 Flight Sims, so I stay with the controllers I am used to. Keyboard is put away.

I know a guy who uses wireless gloves, it's cool but a pain to program in all the gestures. Although his "nuke" signal is funny.

Now, I DO have Q & E mapped, but only because I don't want to slow a good zerg down by pausing to mouse click collectables.

But not everyone has that keybinded to a controller profile, probably because they first learned to mouse click and never saw the need.

Maybe also because Q & E are next to the movement keys and are the first to be replaced with other custom keybinds.

Or maybe they simply don't know. I can't count the number of times I've watched a player try to mouse click a collectable that spawned bugged, and had to tell them to use Q and E.

I'm not sure, because I don't automatically assume everyone else plays the game the way I do.

And that's why, when I go into a bank/tavern/vendor, I dismount as a courtesy to other players - just in case they are using different controllers, have different keybindings, or simply don't know.

It's better than demanding everyone around me adapt to my needs based on my ignorance and false assumptions. YMMV.
    Last edited by Fenrisulven7; 01-24-2020 at 03:31 AM.

The problem is that global coding changes affected Tavern Regeneration, which you have on the deck of your ship. And the rules on your ship still have to follow the rules of the code. Else, no ship.

Now, maybe the devs could remove Tavern Regen from your ship (which I don't think you would like)

OR, hopefully that was just a quick fix and the devs will come out with a more selective code for dismounts that won't affect your shiip.

It literally takes less than 3 seconds. Would reducing that to 1 second solve the problem for you?

I would pay that to keep everyone out of the tavern but me, but there are other people out there that would like to play this game too. Like you.
    Having it not happen will make it suitable for me. It would take you less time to keyboard target and initiate interaction, would that solve the problem for you?

I did pay to keep everyone else out. Its called my guild ship, but am more than happy to have an auctioneer in a bar to bid war to kick everyone else out, sounds like fun and would provide an excellent plat sink.
    Milacias of Kyber

The Reality- Those kobolds in Water Works won’t have a chance but nothing else cares-Learn to play your build and all its abilities in actual difficult content, get gear and reaper points in level 30+ content and raids.

Why do you keep assuming everyone uses a keyboard?

I use a Saitek X52 and mouse, mainly because I come from Mechwarrior and WW2 Flight Sims, so I stay with the controllers I am used to. Keyboard is put away.

I know a guy who uses wireless gloves, it's cool but a pain to program in all the gestures. Although his "nuke" signal is funny.

Now, I DO have Q & E mapped, but only because I don't want to slow a good zerg down by pausing to mouse click collectables.

But not everyone has that keybinded to a controller profile, probably because they first learned to mouse click and never saw the need.

Maybe also because Q & E are next to the movement keys and are the first to be replaced with other custom keybinds.

Or maybe they simply don't know. I can't count the number of times I've watched a player try to mouse click a collectable that spawned bugged, and had to tell them to use Q and E.

I'm not sure, because I don't assume everyone else plays the game the way I do.

And that's why, when I go into a bank/tavern/vendor, I dismount as a courtesy to other players, just in case they are using different controllers, have different keybindings, or simply don't know.

It's simpler than demanding everyone around me adapt to my needs based on my ignorance and false assumptions.
    I would assume that if people know enough to configure to run without a keyboard they can configure to select and interact.
    Milacias of Kyber

Community Member

Having it not happen will make it suitable for me.
    Only way to do that would be to remove Tavern Regen from your deck, or wait and see if the devs code a more selective fix.

It would take you less time to keyboard target and initiate interaction, would that solve the problem for you?
    Nope. You are demanding others do something that you won't do yourself. People don't respond kindly to that.

Only way to do that would be to remove Tavern Regen from your deck, or wait and see if the devs code a more selective fix.

Nope. You are demanding others do something that you won't do yourself. People don't respond kindly to that.
    But you have no problem demanding stuff of others. Guess what people don't respond kindly to that.
    Milacias of Kyber

Community Member

I would assume that if people know enough to configure to run without a keyboard they can configure to select and interact.
    Usually, yes.

But remember that most controllers don't have as many buttons as a keyboard. You have to prioritize what's important. Mine currently has about 16 options, not counting the mouse.

I wasn't mapping Q & E for a long time because mouse clicks handled most the interactables, and I needed the extra space. I only added them later because zerging became the priority.

Again, all I'm trying to say is that players have different setups, for reasons that may seem stupid to us but work for them, for reasons we aren't privy too.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast