175. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

35 20.00%
  • No

140 80.00%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Raise lvl cap?

No. Heck No.

This is a terrible idea on many levels, most of which have been captured here very eloquently by others.

One point that I'd want to reinforce is this utterly kills the raid scene and forces us to play new content only for capped gear.

These days on Thelanis you will often see raid LFMs go up which will then cycle through a bunch of content (Proj Nem, THTH followed by a baba, strahd and shroud). Do you want this to totally go away? Raise the cap and that's exactly what happens.
    -Thelanis-
    Eidur / Essien / Ellsi

Community Member

Voted no here because:

1. They said they would never go over level 30.

2. The xp to take a toon from level 1 to level 35 or whatever would be just ridiculous.

3. There would go all the gear farmed in Ravenloft and Sharn. Of course they would make great weapon food.

Community Member

Voted No.

Only way i would agree, is if they shorten the TR requirements.

Heroic life brought down to 2M xp for each life.
    Epic life brought down to 6M xp.

Heroic and Racial past life can both be earned via a single heroic TR.

Community Member

Voted No. I'm already years and years by my current speed of ever attaining my goals of triple everything.

Adding Classes Cool
    Adding more U.Trees Cool
    Adding more Expansion packs to fill in gear set voids cool

we have:
    lvl 10 gearsets that address most archtypes
    lvl 15 gear sets that address most archtypes
    lvl 17 Gear sets that address some pretty specific builds but are cool

lvl 29 Gear Sets in 3 flavors.

There's a lot of room without adjusting the cap to fill in here. I suggest a 5/22 Expansion with Legendary Raids. I think it would be good to adjust the xp of old early epic content up, and have lower xp on new epic content, but more gear. That way its a conscious decision to farm XP or loot.
    Sarlona: Thrundrack, Fizzix, Swyft______(alts x20)

Community Member

Voted no because for once we have a decent endgame with raids and reapers to keep us all busy. I'd prefer outward expansion rather than upward expansion.

The amount of content needed to make 31+ worth invalidating the current endgame would take YEARS to produce. What does adding more levels add to DDO? The tiny playerbase is already spread out between 8 servers, 30 levels, 13 difficulties, and at varying degrees of power between 147(!!) past lives and 158(!!!) reaper points. How does this help anyone?

I see this move as a cynical cashgrab. The last expansions didn't sell as well as MOTU, which raised the cap. Typical idiotic decisions made by board committees in ivory towers, entire divorced from the circumstances that made MOTU a success. That being, the game was doing better then. And then they added 5, no, 8, no, 10 new levels, and surprise! Endgame is dead.

Good luck selling this bridge.

Community Member

I voted NO.

Added grind is not fun.

But it doesn't matter anyways. When have they ever listened to the community? The changes will go ahead regardless of what the player base wants.

I sure hope the folks at SSG are paying attention to this snapshot of player feedback.

It overwhelmingly shows that a huge majority of their customers do NOT want a level cap increase.

As many have said, there are alternatives to simply raising the level cap to achieve what SSG wants. Take for just one example the Epic Destiny 'tree' introduction years ago. It provided a vast endgame experience without forcing an increase in level cap while also enriching individual character development. As someone said, there fantastic ways to continue to grow outward in DDO, not upward.
    Bring teleport more inline with PnP: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...Basic-Teleport
    Player made quests can work in DDO: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...erated-content

Default I voted No

Provide more content at level 30 so the endgamers have stuff to do and the TRers have more choices to delay them at cap before TR.
    Provide development options for characters at level 30 (e.g. gear that can be levelled/developed via earned XP, Legendary Trees that can be accessed at level 30 only, animal/elemental companions that could be levelled with XP earned after level 30), giving endgamers things to work on and TRers things that make them want to stay at cap a bit longer before TRing.
    Then there's no need to increase level cap at all.
    Bettayne Brah'dukcc, Cleric of Lathander
    Today is the first day of the rest of your life

For DDO Queries, check out ddowiki.com; New to the game? Head to the Newbie Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Bradik_Losdar View Post
    I sure hope the folks at SSG are paying attention to this snapshot of player feedback.

It overwhelmingly shows that a huge majority of their customers do NOT want a level cap increase.

As many have said, there are alternatives to simply raising the level cap to achieve what SSG wants. Take for just one example the Epic Destiny 'tree' introduction years ago. It provided a vast endgame experience without forcing an increase in level cap while also enriching individual character development. As someone said, there fantastic ways to continue to grow outward in DDO, not upward.
    it's pretty remarkable how little would change about my playing experience if there were no epic levels and we only had epic destinies versus the other way around, and this is with all the 26+ feat stuff in mind that we didn't have for a year after MotU launch

I doubt it would matter if the overwhelming majority did NOT want a level cap increase, so long as they were reasonably sure the portion that did want it are the ones that buy Otto's Boxes.

After this comment (bolded emphasis mine):

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    Our level cap increase will not impact current forms of reincarnation.
    They clearly feel the game needs more stacking past lives if only to sell them to people with more money than time. I love this game and by that I mean the content: the races, classes, quests, worlds, enhancements, monsters & Monster Manuals, multi-classing, and the gameplay (of actually playing my characters). I just wish, really wish, they could profit off of content alone.

I also wish that instead of stacking more power on one character they had incentivized/encouraged alts. If it was truly worth it to have a stable of alts (to the power-gamer types) than maybe they could have profited multiplied by each character but the disparity between a maxed character and a new character would have been less. Totally wishful thinking on my part.

The only way I keep my stable of characters is that I just don't have many past lives and don't even attempt to put my non-min-maxed weight into raids. Some of my characters aren't even on their 3rd life yet let alone having class/racial/epic etc. Actually, I haven't touched racials at all and the only characters with an Iconic past so far began their first life as an Iconic. Its not worth it to have goals in this game... they just keep moving the goal post.
    Blood Scented Axe Body Spray (Thelanis)
    Aelonwy - Wydavir - Metaluscious - Aertimys - Aelyrra - Kaelaria - Lunaura - Aelurawynn - Saurscha - Crystalorn - Aurvaeyn - Vaelyns - Wyllowynd

Community Member SpartanKiller13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cpw_acc View Post
    Are the people who are voting "no" and screaming about the level cap increase also the people who spend much of their lives screaming about "lack of end-game" (which I always took to mean that people (a) want to stay at level 30 instead of TR-ing but (b) feel they don't have enough to do at level 30)?
    Eh, I voted no. Not screaming about anything, and I definitely think there's plenty of end-game. I think it could be improved, certainly, and I would do that largely by upgrading older raid loot while revising raids to all be rune-based. I'd probably also reduce LShroud Codex Rune cost to purify stuff, but that's just me lol.

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    What people are asking for is more horizontal systems, more non-level-based chase mechanics. Gearing up is one, but that doesnt take months (usually - still chasing that heroic FRS grr), and aside from a +1 Attribute Reaper helm, there's no real long-term chase gear that makes a meaningful difference; even rare Filigrees arent really THAT rare. EDs fill up pretty quick too. Sentience should be more of a stretch chase, but they kinda short-circuited it by making WPM hand out SXP like candy, and with L31+ named items SXP will be even cheaper.
    Well said. There's a few things like Jibbers, Bauble, or ERoSS, but they haven't really released anything like that recently. The only horizontal-scaling clicky I've seen in a long time is the potential Restoration x3 clicky in this Lama preview.

Which highlights how this problem is, substantially, a product of SSG's own decisions. They make these endgame chase systems that ostensibly should provide a good long period of steady, horizontal growth. Then they chicken out. They bow to people complaining that its too grindy, they introduce Store shortcuts, they start throwing currency/XP at you, and then suddenly you find yourself "done" with nothing else left to go for. We saw it with SXP. We saw it when they removed the need to re-level your EDs after an ETR. We see it kinda with Reaper points, as R1 became considered the default difficulty even for solo (95% FTB on R1 grr - shouldnt be any more than Elite), and high-skulls or even R10 became commonplace when the design intent was that it should be an extreme group challenge.
    +1
    -Khysiria of Cannith
    Quote Originally Posted by zehnvhex View Post
    Warlock is basically a ghetto Shiradi Sorc. You gives up some of the damage and self sustain for the ability to just hold down left click and yolo blast your way to victory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    It's DDO. There are probably 6 different types of Evil damage.

83% against is pretty clear. Pretty large sample size too. It would be a mistake to not pay attention to this poll.
    Leader of Legion of Eberron on Cannith.

Characters: Loromir & Baldomir....among others.

Default Voted no

I will also vote with my money as in any x-pack or adventure pack that would make me go past lvl 30 in any way
    I will NOT buy

Sikaril

Community Member

You know the PnP game had a very nice method of controlling power creep without limiting level advancement

Why not implement that?

For example XP progression (relative to base awards XP) was a gentle curve at low levels 1-4, steeped a bit 5-9 then fairly steep 10-18 then depending on class, a static progression thereafter.

In other words most of your top power (abilities, feats, granted powers, whatever you call them) started at 9 and tapered at around 18

Thereafter the only real power creep was a paltry hit point increase per level as even saving throws and attack bonuses tapered off too

Some of you are saying already, Wait that's like 2nd edition D&D ! We are in 5ED !

Well, yes only to point out the power creep was already controlled way back then

So I'm in favor of cap increase but with very little power creep result.

Quote Originally Posted by heavyaslead0 View Post
    So I'm in favor of cap increase but with very little power creep result.
    That won't be the result.

The major difference between PnP gaming and online gaming is you purchase the materials to play (rule books, maybe just maybe dungeon maps, dice, etc) but the core gameplay is a shared story between you and your friends and your DM... whereas online gaming you purchase access to quest modules, worlds, classes, races, alternative character power/progression systems such as Universal Enhancements or Epic Destinies, and all the accouterments therein to play and advance. And ALL of it is to pay the bills for the multitude of DMs responsible for the game and its world(s).

You don't go to a PnP game and slip your DM a $20 or a $50 to speed past a section of levels you don't feel like playing or pay to get more XP from an encounter or a quest. You don't get your loot decide you don't like it and pay the DM to reroll it for you.

The only reason for a level cap increase is they want to sell us something more. If it were just quests, wilderness areas, raids, a new story to play in they could easily sell us that without a level cap increase.

No. For whatever reason they aren't making enough from the content alone and need or want to sell us the next level of power and progression. I don't reproach them for wanting to make a profit but for their methods in doing so. Somehow we must have hit the threshold of people buying the current level of power and progression or we wouldn't need a new one.
    Blood Scented Axe Body Spray (Thelanis)
    Aelonwy - Wydavir - Metaluscious - Aertimys - Aelyrra - Kaelaria - Lunaura - Aelurawynn - Saurscha - Crystalorn - Aurvaeyn - Vaelyns - Wyllowynd

Quote Originally Posted by Loromir View Post
    83% against is pretty clear. Pretty large sample size too. It would be a mistake to not pay attention to this poll.
    Totally, even accounting for a gerrymandered margin of error this is an overwhelming result against.

Want further validation? Look at the producers letter thread from Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ddo/comment...m_source=share

SSG, if you have any upper management reading this, have a meeting or something.
    -Thelanis-
    Eidur / Essien / Ellsi

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Loromir View Post
    Yeah... no. The DDO forums is a pretty volatile and polarized place. It's also a poor representation of the general population; the majority of players have never and will never set foot here.

Voted NO just to see the results.

I kinda lean that way only because there's not enough info on the implementation/future yet.

Edit:
    Can't really put much stock in any forum poll when sock accounts are rampant.
    Last edited by cdbd3rd; 01-25-2020 at 04:09 AM.
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies

I voted no, mainly because:

1- destroy the end game. It will take years to get enough content (both in raids and in legendary quests) to recover again. It is already sad that the most efficient end game is to be constantly tring to erase the first terminations.

2- Spread the players even more and make grouping difficult. What we need least is more dispersión

3- We have too much individual grind. Devs, it's time for you to start thinking about alts and new players. Spread your game horizontally, not vertically. Stop adding grind that is stacked on the same character. Enough is enough.
    English is not my native language. Sorry for the mistakes.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast